Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

my dad posted:

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! Sassassin!
poo poo goes the poster-wind and the thread goes gassin.
Down along under bridge, trolling far from sunlight,
Waiting in the Book Barn, hoggin all the spotlight,
There our fancy gooner is, at least he's not a swatter,
Slender as the cheeto-beast, fouling up the water.
But Tom Bombadil, poor thread ratings bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o!
Goonberry, Goonberry, merry neckbeard berry-o!
Poor old Sassin-man, you tuck your lard away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again better posts a-bringing.
Hey! Come goony boy! Can you hear me singing?

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

my dad posted:

:golfclap: this is art

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

elise the great posted:

Counterpoint: elves are cool BECAUSE elves are bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my dad posted:

This is the best thing to ever happen in this forum.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

my dad posted:

I have nothing to say that could add to this.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

my dad posted:

:jrrtears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The LOTR movies are messy and as a whole vacuous because Jackson & co could never adapt the central thematic pivot of Tolkien's story, which is loss and decline, and instead crammed in spectacle for spectacle's sake. Media/fandom adulation made them cultural monuments.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 5, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I don't think it was a fait accompli, necessarily. LOTR could've easily gone the way of the Star Wars prequels (or the Hobbit trilogy, really).

They aren't the greatest movies ever made, but they're about as good as could be reasonably expected I think. It could've been an awful lot worse.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

webmeister posted:

They aren't the greatest movies ever made, but they're about as good as could be reasonably expected I think.

I'm not such a pessimist that a green cgi ghost tide is the most I believe the world is capable of.

Desolation of Smaug is the second best PJ LotR movie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I love Jackson's LOTR films for a lot of reasons. They have a lot of great atmosphere, art design, scenery, music, acting - it's hard to imagine Gandalf or Saruman differently now. The Balrog design is tremendous and I can't conceive of it ever being done better; the same goes for the Nazgûl.

But there's also a lot in them that painfully doesn't work. Gollum tops my list - it was a great technical achievement but I think both Serkis and the character design missed the mark. I understand they were trying to make him more sympathetic but he didn't have the gravitas he should have.

Anyone complaining about a tonal dissonance in the Hobbit movies should get whiplash from the non-original lines used in LOTR vs. Tolkien's writing.

I was also disappointed with Treebeard and the Ents turning on a dime when they saw the devastated forest, and with Faramir's reaction to the ring. Galadriel's test might have worked without that stupid voice filter; as single moments go that's probably the most embarrassingly bad one in the trilogy.

On balance though, there's a lot more good in them than bad. Every time I watch them, by the time they get to the Grey Havens I'm in tears along with all of the hobbits.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Galadriel's Mirror scene owned and is a legit fantastic moment. I'll agree it's probably not how a lot of people read that scene, but it's a totally valid interpretation if you come at it from the POV of Frodo seeing a glimpse of what Galadriel wielding the Ring would be like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't think the CGI of the time was really up for that scene, the way she looks kind of ruins that moment for me.

I mean, there are a lot of not great moments, but there's much more good than bad. So many of the actors really just owned their roles. I'm hard pressed to think of any moment where a member of the Fellowship had acting that pulled me out of the moment. (With the exception of 'they're taking the hobbits to Isengard', but I can blame the internet for that.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

webmeister posted:

Galadriel's Mirror scene owned and is a legit fantastic moment. I'll agree it's probably not how a lot of people read that scene, but it's a totally valid interpretation if you come at it from the POV of Frodo seeing a glimpse of what Galadriel wielding the Ring would be like.

Everything else about it is alright, it's that drat voice modulation I can't stand. It's just a specific thing that always sounds terrible to me and I don't know why anyone ever uses it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's terrible. it's one of the best scenes in the book and in the film it is offensive to every possible sensibility.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't think the CGI of the time was really up for that scene, the way she looks kind of ruins that moment for me.

I mean, there are a lot of not great moments, but there's much more good than bad. So many of the actors really just owned their roles. I'm hard pressed to think of any moment where a member of the Fellowship had acting that pulled me out of the moment. (With the exception of 'they're taking the hobbits to Isengard', but I can blame the internet for that.)

It wasn't the technology it was the direction. They layered too many goddam effects over her performance.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

It was a brilliant performance utterly ruined by the effects. Those movies had some very good acting, and PJ should have trusted them more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's much less awful than making Ian McKellen act in an empty green screen room that he hated so much he started crying. That's kind of unforgivable.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Why were the Hobbit movies filmed in 3D anyways? Apart from it being the gimmick at the time. I can't think of any scene that benefited from being in 3D.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Why were the Hobbit movies filmed in 3D anyways?

To charge $2-3 more per ticket

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was also shot in that fancy high FPS, which may have made the 3D more of a shoo-in.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
3D was a gimmick back in the 50s meant to compete with TV and it's a gimmick now to compete with the internet. It's not meant to add anything to the film other than novelty and a few dollars to the ticket price.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah I figured as much. It funny though because I can only remember two scenes where you even notice the 3D, one where it's snowing and another with bees. Seems like they didn't even get that gimmick right.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

HFR was good, though, even if 3D isn't.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

It's much less awful than making Ian McKellen act in an empty green screen room that he hated so much he started crying. That's kind of unforgivable.

Link?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is more the idiosyncratic nature of mckellern who was trained in a specific kind of stage acting than green screens being awful. It was specifically awful for him to do that.

If you want background listen to Marc marons interview of mckellern .

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

euphronius posted:

That is more the idiosyncratic nature of mckellern who was trained in a specific kind of stage acting than green screens being awful. It was specifically awful for him to do that.

If you want background listen to Marc marons interview of mckellern .
Can't exactly blame him. I hear basically the same thing from anyone who does voice work for a video game, it's so completely different from actual acting because it's just line after line after line with no back-and-forth with the people you'd normally be acting or sharing a recording booth with.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PMush Perfect posted:

Can't exactly blame him. I hear basically the same thing from anyone who does voice work for a video game, it's so completely different from actual acting because it's just line after line after line with no back-and-forth with the people you'd normally be acting or sharing a recording booth with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2up8h1tMmck&t=96s

Regarding voicework, it's an issue of how industrial the approach is, and what kind of a game it is, though. With a little fun and joy shared among the game creators, you can also have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQykP9NHJXU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My goal in life is to have as much fun doing something as Jason Douglas had playing a purple kungfu catman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h48Ru0-RJII

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Having re-watched the LotR movies and the Hobbits, the flaws (poor scriptwriting, lack of direction) show up in the LotR movies but the cast elevates the hell out of the material. Even Liv Tyler who does the best she can with the awful stuff she's given. Theoden's written completely incoherently, but Bernard Hill salvages and elevates the lovely and ill-timed lines he gets.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kemper Boyd posted:

Having re-watched the LotR movies and the Hobbits, the flaws (poor scriptwriting, lack of direction) show up in the LotR movies but the cast elevates the hell out of the material. Even Liv Tyler who does the best she can with the awful stuff she's given. Theoden's written completely incoherently, but Bernard Hill salvages and elevates the lovely and ill-timed lines he gets.

Theoden is a sad, grieving old man who is under the influence of at least one wizard's spell for most of his screentime. Talking incoherently is a feature, not a bug.

"I've fought many wars in my time, I know how to defend my own keep" annoys me, though. What wars, Theoden? When he's dying he talks about having earned his place beside his forefathers, his inadequacy issues are kind-of important to his suicidal arc (but not as important as the wizards spells).

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm hard pressed to think of any moment where a member of the Fellowship had acting that pulled me out of the moment. (With the exception of 'they're taking the hobbits to Isengard', but I can blame the internet for that.)

Merry chews his way through most of his lines ("Wh-at wa-as th-at???"), Aragorn's all-over-the-place accent, Legolas talking nonsense during the council.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sassassin, did Peter Jackson kill your parents, or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sassassin posted:

Theoden is a sad, grieving old man who is under the influence of at least one wizard's spell for most of his screentime. Talking incoherently is a feature, not a bug.

I've always liked his "No father should have to bury his son" bit. It's new material that stands with one foot in the legendarium and one foot in other storytelling traditions and other modern movies, and it really somehow ties them together—brings LotR into the world of "mainstream entertainment"—in a way I wasn't expecting.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Sassassin, did Peter Jackson kill your parents, or something?

No I think they just enjoy talking about the movies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SHISHKABOB posted:

No I think they just enjoy talking about the movies.

A lot of people take any criticism (in the traditional meaning of the term) of media they enjoy personally, and so throw out insults and wild accusations of agendas/bias in return. It's a shame but what can you do?

Data Graham posted:

I've always liked his "No father should have to bury his son" bit. It's new material that stands with one foot in the legendarium and one foot in other storytelling traditions and other modern movies, and it really somehow ties them together—brings LotR into the world of "mainstream entertainment"—in a way I wasn't expecting.

As has been said, Bernard Hill did very well with the material he was given. The line itself isn't anything special, it's elevated by how he delivers it.

There aren't many moments in these films where characters feel genuinely human and vulnerable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most of them aren't even human !

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man I just don't get where this 30,000 year old immortal elf queen is coming from.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Can we get back to Steve Jackson and whether or not a big budget OGRE trilogy would be true to the source material?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Can we get back to Steve Jackson and whether or not a big budget OGRE trilogy would be true to the source material?

I think it would not, but in a way independent of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Man I just don't get where this 30,000 year old immortal elf queen is coming from.

PJ's elves are nowhere near strange enough, or gay enough (in the way Sam would use the word, not the way it would be used to describe Sam).

He cast all these actors-of-a-certain-age with gravitas, has them do low, slow, wooden delivery of lines... where does that even come from?

His choice for Gil-Galad is a crime. I thought movie directors loved "casting" pretty teenage boys for parts?