Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pryor on Fire posted:

European views on what are the desirable places to visit in the USA are so loving baffling to me. Florida? Theme parks? Man, what a waste of time, no wonder everyone on that side of the pond thinks we're all retarded.

I remember when I lived in Belgium for a bit and all they'd talk about was wanting to visit NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Pryor on Fire posted:

European views on what are the desirable places to visit in the USA are so loving baffling to me. Florida? Theme parks? Man, what a waste of time, no wonder everyone on that side of the pond thinks we're all retarded.

I am constantly :psyduck:ing at my Swedish colleagues, but if you're white, boring and middle-aged, Florida is just so hopelessly popular.

Stockholm-Arlanda has direct flights to Fort Lauderdale.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Groda posted:

I am constantly :psyduck:ing at my Swedish colleagues, but if you're white, boring and middle-aged, Florida is just so hopelessly popular.

To be fair, banana hammocks are probably uncomfortable in Stockholm at this time of year.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been taking UA1615 quite a bit lately and every time the takeoff roll seems to be a little high in pucker-factor.

We always take off 24L, which is about 9950' feet, and the main gear doesn't leave the runway until just before the piano keys at the 6R end. We usually rotate around taxiway papa but don't leave the ground until there's almost no runway left. Then over the keys it's a hard climb for a few seconds to clear some ILS equipment and trees further along.

At max takeoff weight at near sea level a 738 needs just under 9000 feet "takeoff field length". Does that mean it actually needs 9000' to get airborne, or is that giving the minimum runway length you should attempt the takeoff on?

Im just curious because if i were watching this takeoff from outside on the field it would be one of those ones that gets posted in Aeronautical Insanity with a :stonk: I think.

For reference I'm using this performance chart:

Airport chart for reference:
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1702/00084AD.PDF

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Groda posted:

Do Swedes love cruises or something?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ft. Lauderdale Beach is a hateful place filled with garbage people. I must be a broken affluent white guy because literally everyone I've interacted with up to and including the TSA have been more pleasant than my fellow vacationers. I pray for a biblical plague of manowars to descend on the beach. And Zika-infected mosquitoes, that they may not reproduce.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I'm going back to fly planes in the frigid cold now and I'm thrilled about it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Ft. Lauderdale Beach is a hateful place filled with garbage people. I must be a broken affluent white guy because literally everyone I've interacted with up to and including the TSA have been more pleasant than my fellow vacationers. I pray for a biblical plague of manowars to descend on the beach. And Zika-infected mosquitoes, that they may not reproduce.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I'm going back to fly planes in the frigid cold now and I'm thrilled about it.

Fort Lauderdale beach is plagued with Québécois. Always has been, always will be.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The only somewhat redeeming things about Florida are
Cuban food and that crazy mayor in Key West.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Fort Lauderdale beach is plagued with Québécois. Always has been, always will be.

To be fair, I used to live in Quebec so I'm used to that. The subset of them that venture to Florida to wallow on the beach are a particularly aggravating bunch.

Jealous Cow posted:

The only somewhat redeeming things about Florida are
Cuban food and that crazy mayor in Key West.

I wanted there to be a good Cuban joint I could go to without ubering all across hells half acre, but no! We can't have ethnic food on the beach, an ancient withered white person might faint from sheer terror. But you can enjoy endless variations of underseasoned fish tacos.

I've never been so happy to return to -20 and a snowfall warning.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

I wanted there to be a good Cuban joint I could go to without ubering all across hells half acre, but no! We can't have ethnic food on the beach, an ancient withered white person might faint from sheer terror. But you can enjoy endless variations of underseasoned fish tacos.

I've never been so happy to return to -20 and a snowfall warning.

There was a surprisingly decent Cuban place in Orlando not too far from Disney.

Havana's Cafe
Vista Centre Shoppes, 8544 Palm Pkwy, Orlando, FL 32836
(407) 238-5333
https://goo.gl/maps/ZoJfrad3e552

I did some work for Disney and stayed at the doubletree on hotel plaza drive almost every weekday for a few months. Finding good food out there is next to impossible.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jealous Cow posted:

I've been taking UA1615 quite a bit lately and every time the takeoff roll seems to be a little high in pucker-factor.

We always take off 24L, which is about 9950' feet, and the main gear doesn't leave the runway until just before the piano keys at the 6R end. We usually rotate around taxiway papa but don't leave the ground until there's almost no runway left. Then over the keys it's a hard climb for a few seconds to clear some ILS equipment and trees further along.

At max takeoff weight at near sea level a 738 needs just under 9000 feet "takeoff field length". Does that mean it actually needs 9000' to get airborne, or is that giving the minimum runway length you should attempt the takeoff on?

Im just curious because if i were watching this takeoff from outside on the field it would be one of those ones that gets posted in Aeronautical Insanity with a :stonk: I think.

For reference I'm using this performance chart:

Airport chart for reference:
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1702/00084AD.PDF

Those charts you see typically quote what is known as a balanced field length, or "accelerate-stop distance". In other words, it is the amount of runway needed to:

-Accelerate to decision speed (V1),
-React to something going very, very wrong right before V1.
-Bring the jet to a tire-melting, screeching halt without the use of reverse thrust.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

Those charts you see typically quote what is known as a balanced field length, or "accelerate-stop distance". In other words, it is the amount of runway needed to:

-Accelerate to decision speed (V1),
-React to something going very, very wrong right before V1.
-Bring the jet to a tire-melting, screeching halt without the use of reverse thrust.

Ahh ok. So I wonder why we seem to be rotating and lifting off so late?

It's really disconcerting to see the other end of the runway pass so closely under you.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Anyone have tips for getting short field landings down well? Today I just could not get the plane down where I wanted it to land. I'm nervous about dumping the power out too early and ending up on the grass before the runway, but today there was also a reasonable gusting crosswind and every little burst would pop the plane back up higher.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Ahh ok. So I wonder why we seem to be rotating and lifting off so late?

It's really disconcerting to see the other end of the runway pass so closely under you.

Because they're doing a flex take off at less than full power. If the runway is significantly longer than you need you can use a lower power setting and save fuel. You still have to hit V1 with room to to stop, but it can be a very "leisurely" take off roll.

If you ever end up on a flight where they have to use short field procedures you'll notice it. And not just because the flaps are noticeably down and the engines are spooling up when the brakes are on.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Because they're doing a flex take off at less than full power. If the runway is significantly longer than you need you can use a lower power setting and save fuel. You still have to hit V1 with room to to stop, but it can be a very "leisurely" take off roll.

If you ever end up on a flight where they have to use short field procedures you'll notice it. And not just because the flaps are noticeably down and the engines are spooling up when the brakes are on.

I suspected that's what it was but it makes me nervous.

Have definitely been on short field takeoffs. For a while the long runway at RIC was closed for resurfacing and some of the takeoffs from the shorter open one were sporty and from about as far back as possible.

A few times departing MHK too.

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008

Nuggan posted:

Anyone have tips for getting short field landings down well? Today I just could not get the plane down where I wanted it to land. I'm nervous about dumping the power out too early and ending up on the grass before the runway, but today there was also a reasonable gusting crosswind and every little burst would pop the plane back up higher.

I used to be overly afraid about coming up short and developed a tendency to aim pretty far down the runway which was a hard habit to break when practicing for short field landings.

I think something that helped me was to really make sure my speed was under control on final. Being too fast will really extend a float and use up a lot of runway. One thing my instructor talked about was that its ok for short landings to be a bit hard as well. This doesnt mean you should fly the plane into the numbers and plant it but that if you're flying into an actual short field you dont want to use up half the runway floating in ground effect 2 feet above the runway. Get the wheels on the ground asap (without breaking anything of course). You should get a feel for when you can "coax" the plane down the last foot or so rather than wait for it to settle like a normal landing.

Thaumaturgic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 7, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Anybody taken the ATP written lately? Horror stories? Shepard Air still the deal?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also just practice it a ton. Shorts can be tricky until you just get the timing down right but once you get it you'll be plopping that down on the numbers with pretty good consistency.

Soft field landings are a lot harder IMO, the whole thing feels just sketchy and wrong.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Jealous Cow posted:

The FARs say you must be able to lose an engine at v1 and clear the threshold vertically by 35'. For reference, the tail on a modern 737 is about 40'. So you could be way lower than what you're seeing now and it would still be legal.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Alright after creeping on this thread long enough I think I'm gonna take my first flying lesson. Anything to look for in instructors or schools that's not covered in the op?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Alright after creeping on this thread long enough I think I'm gonna take my first flying lesson. Anything to look for in instructors or schools that's not covered in the op?

For the love of god. DON'T. MAKE. THIS. YOUR. CAREER.

Source: I did, it was a terrible choice. [/bitterforant]

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No this will be for fun and wasting money.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sounds like you've got the most important part figured out. It's a lot of fun and it wastes a lot of money.

Having said that, there were some changes to the student pilot certification process (in the U.S.) that wee made since the op was written: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/student_cert/

Part of your flight instructors job is helping you with the paperwork shenanigans the FAA makes you go through so they'll know more about it.

My suggestion is to find a local flight school, usually known as an FBO, and schedule a demo flight.

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

My general advice is to make sure you're actively engaged with your instructor and the overall training process. It can be easy to just book lessons, show up and waste time and money flying around without learning all that much if you arent careful.
Ask your instructor for a kind of 'syllabus' that they like to teach to so you can understand what to expect during the training and how well you are progressing. Do all of your studying beforehand and come to the lessons prepared. Make sure your instructor budgets lesson time to brief you thoroughly on the ground on what you're going to work on in the air. It really sucks to waste time in the air on stuff that you could have covered on the ground. Your instructor is your teacher but you are also their client. If you feel like you aren't understanding something or feel like you're having trouble with a particular maneuver then speak up and have them help you figure it out.

Good luck!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I just looked up and saw an airliner making a bizzarely long turn and now I'm really curious wtf this is about :

E: ???

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 7, 2017

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Holding for Atlanta, most likely.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Teardrop entry into a circular hold for atl?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pryor on Fire posted:

I found having a good relationship with an instructor is huge. I flew with excellent ones, someone I didn't realize until much later was a self-centered turd, and the Antichrist Check Airman who even the flight school feeding him business had begun to turn on.

This extends to a lesser extent to the school and whoever runs it (training manager, chair of the local college's aviation program). When I decided to abandon the pilot career path, I was supported by the training manager who understood where I was coming from, and it made it much easier. On the other side, I was once verbally dismantled (e- should point out by a separate individual) for complaining about a DME readout being unreadable after a lesson which the entire point of was DME Arcs (and the CFII knew it was INOP and forgot), which led into the issues several students and I had with the entire fleet. (In a twist of fate, I now occupy an office about 8-9 feet from the chair I was sitting in as I was disemboweled, fortunately under a new head.)

Having an idea as to what's coming on lessons as Thaumaturgic said is also helpful, as you can review maneuvers or procedures and prep for them (including chair flying) before you go.

Airplane reliability is big, too. Does the school have 2 late '70s-build 172s and no full-time A&P so, when both break, nobody goes flying? Does the shoulder harness not work very well? Are they shitbirds where the radio stack falls out on the CFI's lap on takeoff or have they been taken care of?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 8, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Airplane reliability is big, too. Does the school have 2 late '70s-build 172s and no full-time A&P so, when both break, nobody goes flying? Does the shoulder harness not work very well? Are they shitbirds where the radio stack falls out on the CFI's lap on takeoff or have they been taken care of?

I could almost never get the same one two lessons in a row. And all the 172s and Warriors had tons of inop crap. Once while waiting for the student before me to return we heard a call over ctaf that they had smoke in the cockpit and had to return immediately. Had planes with flat tires, caked in hard ice when I show up for the lesson, and the only planes that seemed to be reliably maintained were a bunch of loving tecnam eaglets which are god damned loving bullshit toys.

Edit: could also never get a plane with less that full tanks because they obsessively filled them between every flight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

...we've got the late '70s 172s, but they all seem to be in fine working order most of the time and they get repaired quickly when something not nav-related fucks up. The radio stack doesn't fall out, but there are more than a few with U/S nav radios and broken ADFs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jealous Cow posted:

Edit: could also never get a plane with less that full tanks because they obsessively filled them between every flight.

This is SUPER common down here, because of (legitimate, but waaaay-overstated) fears of condensation inside the tanks causing water entrapment and corrosion.

It's fine for a flight school, it sucks rear end at a flying club where you sometimes actually want to use all four seats and do something other than drill holes in the sky.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jealous Cow posted:

I could almost never get the same one two lessons in a row. And all the 172s and Warriors had tons of inop crap. Once while waiting for the student before me to return we heard a call over ctaf that they had smoke in the cockpit and had to return immediately. Had planes with flat tires, caked in hard ice when I show up for the lesson, and the only planes that seemed to be reliably maintained were a bunch of loving tecnam eaglets which are god damned loving bullshit toys.

The school which had the two 172s was a pilot mill's satellite branch which had 2 172s, 2 152s, an Arrow, and a Seminole. Things went downhill there right around the time the first batch of instructors went to the airlines. The full time A&P left and, if I remember right, they were actually flying a guy up from Florida to do work; this arrangement somehow meant both 172s died at once and there was nobody to fix them, so instrument flying ground to a halt for a time. The 152s were in fairly good shape (save for some of the panel lights not working), but the 172s were more rough.

The second place (local FBO) I flew had two 172SPs which, condition-wise, were like flying a Cadillac by comparison and you could grab whichever one you wanted as long as it was open; I took the one with the Garmin 430 on XCs and flew the other one if I were staying local. The only problem I ever had was a low voltage light during climb one time when I was staying in the pattern, so I took it right back to the ramp at the end of the first lap. They schedule things a bit more efficiently now, which includes you getting the same plane in the same time slot most of the way through training.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 8, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We've got... 7? 172s, the majority of which are Ns, with two Ms and a P. Then there are two 152s and a Cirrus SR20. We used to have a Citabria until a student ground-looped it sometime in the fall, and our Twin Comanche just went off-lease and we're working on finding another.

There used to be a 172XP on floats too, I don't know if we got rid of it or if it goes somewhere warm for the winter :v:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

The school which had the two 172s was a pilot mill's satellite branch which had 2 172s, 2 152s, an Arrow, and a Seminole. Things went downhill there right around the time the first batch of instructors went to the airlines. The full time A&P left and, if I remember right, they were actually flying a guy up from Florida to do work; this arrangement somehow meant both 172s died at once and there was nobody to fix them, so instrument flying ground to a halt for a time. The 152s were in fairly good shape (save for some of the panel lights not working), but the 172s were more rough.

The second place (local FBO) I flew had two 172SPs which, condition-wise, were like flying a Cadillac by comparison and you could grab whichever one you wanted as long as it was open; I took the one with the Garmin 430 on XCs and flew the other one if I were staying local. The only problem I ever had was a low voltage light during climb one time when I was staying in the pattern, so I took it right back to the ramp at the end of the first lap. They schedule things a bit more efficiently now, which includes you getting the same plane in the same time slot most of the way through training.

I already moved across he country and haven't flown in a few years. Really wish that experience hadn't been so bad.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Just put my Zulu 2s up for sale in sa-mart if anyone is looking for a cheap used headset.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809305

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

loving tecnam eaglets which are god damned loving bullshit toys.

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with them? I don't know much about Tecnam's product line but the flight school next door to mine has two of their light twins and they seem decent (and really loving quiet) -- although I'd not have one as my personal plane, because they're slow af compared to most twins, and arguably it's going to be a giant adjustment for someone that's trained in one of those to step into something nearly twice as fast.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's warm and sunny and has things to do.

So, anyone know what happened with the loss of separation with Air Force One & a GA aircraft (and is able to talk about it)? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-08/investigators-said-to-probe-plane-too-close-to-air-force-one

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fordan posted:

It's warm and sunny and has things to do.

2/3 isn't bad. What loving things does Florida have to do? You have to drive or Uber to buy a bottle of water or a pack of smokes, much less do anything actually stimulating. As far as I can tell, there's nothing to do except drink yourself into a stupor on a regular basis, and frankly I can do that in more interesting, less expensive places than Florida.

If I owned Hell and Florida, I'd live in Hell and rent Florida.

EDIT: To keep it on topic: there sure were a lot of banner-towing planes. What's that like as a job? I have to imagine: extremely boring and yet requiring a great deal of concentration, as you fly in loops for hours in slow flight.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with them? I don't know much about Tecnam's product line but the flight school next door to mine has two of their light twins and they seem decent (and really loving quiet) -- although I'd not have one as my personal plane, because they're slow af compared to most twins, and arguably it's going to be a giant adjustment for someone that's trained in one of those to step into something nearly twice as fast.

The eaglets are loving tiny and cramped, have a terrible useful(less) load, and just generally feel like a LSA.

The twin basically introduces the complexity of twins without the performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

The eaglets are loving tiny and cramped, have a terrible useful(less) load, and just generally feel like a LSA.

Better than a 152 from what wikipedia says... not that a 152 is not-poo poo.

quote:

The twin basically introduces the complexity of twins without the performance.

Yeah, but the complexity of a twin is literally what you're being trained to handle, so... I can kind of see its utility as a training aircraft since it sips fuel. Arguably it would be useful to have training in a faster aircraft as well, but it might as well be done in a fast single that uses less fuel.

• Locked thread