Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

If there's a specific character you really want, reroll until you get them.

My general advice for orb expenditure is:

--Spend your first easy 17 orbs (15 from completing tutorial, 2 from daily login bonus) on a rerollable 4-pull. Reset if you don't get the character you want.
--Spend your next 3 orbs on the first two castle upgrades
--Spend your next 40-60 orbs on 5-pulls
--Finish upgrading your castle with the next 19 orbs
--If there's still a character you really want and they're either on a banner or available below 5-star, spend orbs only on that character's color
--Once you have the characters you really want that aren't absurdly rare, start saving orbs for new releases/banners that make the previously absurdly rare characters more available

This is good advice. Listen to this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Clarste posted:

Uh... what would the point of that be?

In Arena, if the healer unit doesn't have an offense spell equipped they can't get baited out into making a suicidal attack and will instead just sit behind the rest of your nerds and heal them like they're supposed to.

I have no idea how the game selects what team you use when you're defending though so this is kind of pointless theorycraft until they add some way to manually make a team of defenders. :shrug:

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 7, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MegaZeroX posted:

But you net lose out on like 2 orbs because of efficiency. It really depends on whether you want to be time efficient or total orb efficient.

The last 3 orb pull is false economy, as if you're picky about the colours you're after (which you should be) it will usually be something you don't need/want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sassassin posted:

The last 3 orb pull is false economy, as if you're picky about the colours you're after (which you should be) it will usually be something you don't need/want.

I'd argue that for your first 3-4 pulls you care about quantity enough that you should do the full pull. After that though, you should usually target colors for sure though.

Never go into the summoning menu with fewer than 20 orbs though, just in case every summon is of a color you want.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd argue that for your first 3-4 pulls you care about quantity enough that you should do the full pull. After that though, you should usually target colors for sure though.

Never go into the summoning menu with fewer than 20 orbs though, just in case every summon is of a color you want.

Well the idea is, when you're starting off and rerolling until you're happy with a roll you want, the overall quantity of pulls you make will be greater if you make 17-pulls every minute or so rather than 20-pulls every five minutes or so. Yeah, that last three-cost summon is going to be lost to the ether forever, in exchange for getting four mans you're happy with in a much more reasonable amount of time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Are there units in the game yet that have a full kit of A/B/C skills? I've already got an adequate squad of 5* units, so unless there's actually a reason for me to continue pulling I think I'm going to hold off rolling until they start adding the inevitable 6* gatyafes exclusive characters

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Heaven Spacey posted:

In Arena, if the healer unit doesn't have an offense spell equipped they can't get baited out into making a suicidal attack and will instead just sit behind the rest of your nerds and heal them like they're supposed to.

I have no idea how the game selects what team you use when you're defending though so this is kind of pointless theorycraft until they add some way to manually make a team of defenders. :shrug:

It's the first team in your lineup. Look at your dots.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
imo there should be a 'one of each hero' cap on teams, quad takumi is dumb as poo poo and effie does not like it

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

Uh... what would the point of that be?

Aside from what was already mentioned, arena match-making works based on the sums of your character's ratings (sum of stats). Unequipping weapons lowers the rating on your healers which is more favourable to you if you didn't build your team with the idea of them attacking in mind anyway. A lot of cheese offense teams do this as well, going something like level 40 Hector, level 40 Takumi, level 1 no weapon healer, level 1 no weapon healer. Or replace a healer with a low level dancer.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SpaceCadetBob posted:

For those that beat the hard mode world end missions before unlocking the rewards by finishing all the normal mode missions. If you run the mission again you will get the reward.

also, completing the mission on lunatic will give the reward for hard mode

Clawtopsy posted:

imo there should be a 'one of each hero' cap on teams, quad takumi is dumb as poo poo and effie does not like it

if your target has Takumi in slot 1 pick another bracket

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 8, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mirthless posted:

if your target has Takumi in slot 1 pick another bracket

I'm no coward and will mash that Expert button until the day I die.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
hey, just saying, nobody has to fight a 4 takumi team :shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gallant puts his best unit in the lead to ward off inexperienced players.

Goofus uses 2 Takumi and a Tiki, but puts some garbage pegasus knight as his captain to farm easy Defense wins.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Clawtopsy posted:

I'm honestly stunned there isn't a limit like that, many other games have such a limit, even ones without PVP.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I feel like I'm about done pulling for blue units - a Hinoka/Abel/Odin would be cool (the last more for character favouritism than anything), but I already have Robin/Subaki/Peri/Oboro/Gwendolyn, which is a pretty good spread.

I wish there were more ninjas/archers in the pool. You really don't need more than 1-2 healers.

Majinfefnir13
Oct 11, 2009

Once again tried to test my luck again and did 10 more summons. All of them were pretty lackluster(with a 4* Roy to rub salt in the wound) though I got a 5* Hinoka in the end which neat I guess.

Threw another 10 summons got a Lucina and a 5* Nowi for my efforts.

At the moment I'm having my doubts that my Lucina would be as decent compared to Lyn due to her beginning 10 levels being 4 single digits and 2 no stats.

Right now her stats:
Lucina Lv26
HP: 34
Atk: 37
Def: 19
Spd: 24
Res: 15

Compared to:
Lyn Lv27
HP: 30
Atk: 36
Def: 17
Spd: 31
Res: 20

I know she's very good but man I wish she got some better level ups.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Thanks for all the great advice guys, but I decided to blow all my orbs on the castle and I got Lyn from my second pull. And gently caress resetting anyway. I did that poo poo for PAD and I hated my life. And in the end I burnt out on PAD before I even got to the point where having one of the best starting rolls would have gotten me further than something suboptimal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
god I cannot deal with how awful Felicia is. there's a fine line between "support-inclined" and "cannot actually damage anyone other than mages, and also dies to everything."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm honestly stunned there isn't a limit like that, many other games have such a limit, even ones without PVP.

it really is odd, i would think no duplicates would be obvious, especially with the hero merging system in place. If the high level meta revolves around whaling for multiple repeats of whoever the top tier character is, this game is going to devolve into P2W real fast

Countblanc posted:

god I cannot deal with how awful Felicia is. there's a fine line between "support-inclined" and "cannot actually damage anyone other than mages, and also dies to everything."

the thief/ninja class is pretty close to unusable, just like most of the pegasus knights. they really need to put the things into the game that make speed characters good because they fall apart real fast

I'm still getting mileage out of 4* Florina at level 30 but I'm starting to take pretty high damage from sword characters and it's only a matter of time before she can't survive anymore

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 8, 2017

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i have enough 5 and 4 stars from these banners that i dont really want any of the featured ones but now that means im not drawing and im stockpiling orbs and its loving me up

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Countblanc posted:

There's a Lunatic Mission that requires bringing her! :v:

Mirthless posted:

the thief/ninja class is pretty close to unusable, just like most of the pegasus knights. they really need to put the things into the game that make speed characters good because they fall apart real fast

Kagero is fine, Saizo has some fairly good support skills. The Pegs also have some pretty strong contenders out there. Honestly it's the characters like Lon'qu that just don't work well despite their killing power.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was planning on playing Fates Birthright, then Conquest since the latter is supposed to be better. But just based off this story mode I might skip Birthright entirely because that crew seems lame as hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MotU posted:

i have enough 5 and 4 stars from these banners that i dont really want any of the featured ones but now that means im not drawing and im stockpiling orbs and its loving me up

I don't have a Hector or a Takumi so I feel obligated to keep drawing, but I'm also hoarding Orbs and Stamina pots for the assumed Valentine's event. I justify it by assuming someone else will get one of those skills sooner or later anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a Lunatic Mission that requires bringing her! :v:

Yeah this is why I'm leveling her. She's currently 26 and basically does nothing. I assumed upgrading her weapon would be enough to make her actually hit for more than 0x2 on everything but it absolutely didn't after a handful of levels.

I'm having similar "luck" with my 4* Lon'qu who I figured might be alright since Vantage is the good good but even he struggles to bust through even mediocre armor and just eats curb constantly.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kagero is fine, Saizo has some fairly good support skills. The Pegs also have some pretty strong contenders out there. Honestly it's the characters like Lon'qu that just don't work well despite their killing power.

I was being a bit hyperbolic, it's just frustrating to ram against the DEF wall. :negative:

Countblanc posted:

Yeah this is why I'm leveling her. She's currently 26 and basically does nothing. I assumed upgrading her weapon would be enough to make her actually hit for more than 0x2 on everything but it absolutely didn't after a handful of levels.

I'm having similar "luck" with my 4* Lon'qu who I figured might be alright since Vantage is the good good but even he struggles to bust through even mediocre armor and just eats curb constantly.

try Anna, she's Lon'Qu in green with better skills and stats

i have her at the front of my arena team :colbert:

i need more feathers. I really want that teleport. I need it.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Countblanc posted:

I don't have a Hector or a Takumi so I feel obligated to keep drawing, but I'm also hoarding Orbs and Stamina pots for the assumed Valentine's event. I justify it by assuming someone else will get one of those skills sooner or later anyway.

Pulling for a Hector seems rough. I had 5 emulators going running reroll scripts and I only saw 1 Hector in 2 days. Around 200 rerolls total.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

I was planning on playing Fates Birthright, then Conquest since the latter is supposed to be better. But just based off this story mode I might skip Birthright entirely because that crew seems lame as hell.

The story of both is bad (Birthright's story is boring, Conquest's is stupid as hell). Both sets of siblings get plenty of good moments...in the opposite route, when you fight them as enemies.

Also, we have an FE megathread for 3DS game discussion

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have decided that I have no honor, and put my 1* level 1 Lissa in my team to see if it gets me more defense wins

Also would 3* Corrin or 4* Felicia be better for defense?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

My second reroll had Hector but I don't like him so I kept going.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Tagichatn posted:

My second reroll had Hector but I don't like him so I kept going.

okay

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

cheetah7071 posted:

The story of both is bad (Birthright's story is boring, Conquest's is stupid as hell). Both sets of siblings get plenty of good moments...in the opposite route, when you fight them as enemies.

Also, we have an FE megathread for 3DS game discussion

Awakening and beyond have bad stories.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

I been playing arena for a few days but haven't gotten any thing from defending, an I missing something?

cheetah7071 posted:

That means your team isn't beating anybody. This isn't too surprising since the dumbass AI is controlling your team and you presumably don't have a full whale setup

Clarste posted:

I tried that, doesn't work. Takumi is certainly good, but everyone's pretty used to dealing with him by now. My Takumi team with Nino as the face has exactly 0 defense wins. You'd be better off with another good character in that slot.

It might just mean literally no one is actually choosing you as well. Which is what I think happened to me last season, and continues into this one. Ergo, my "Defense Results" tab simply says "No Records", and presumably a loss should be a record as well as a win. I'm also a monster who eventually tossed two sub-lvl 10s in with 5* lvl 30+s in a desperate attempt to get something, so you'd think I'd have gotten at least 1 win by now if people were actually picking me.

At least Defence is worth by far the least feathers as well, since you can't actually control whether anyone picks you, and loses, or not.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

U-DO Burger posted:

goddamn it game give me a blue person. I've done like 40 pulls and all I've got is the starting 2* lance user

:(:hf::(

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

U-DO Burger posted:

goddamn it game give me a blue person. I've done like 40 pulls and all I've got is the starting 2* lance user

if you're really hard up i want to say it's 2500 feathers (less?) to take a hero from ** to ****

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Team Tiara Circlet

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Adel posted:

Team Tiara Circlet

Who's albino marth?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

Conquest has a worse story but much better characters.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Who's albino marth?

Leo

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
^^^ :argh:

Nuebot posted:

Who's albino marth?

Leo from Fates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

One thing I wonder is, why Virion? Why was he made the starter archer guy while the rest of characters you begin with are new (well Anna isn't new but you know what I mean)?