Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Hexenritter posted:

This. You increase your rep by buying upgrades (and a few of the engineers will also take stellar cartography data). You can just keep spamming them and discarding results worse than what you have. When you get to level 3, start spamming those as they'll up your rep through 4 to 5 much more quickly. Later on, some engineers will let you add special effects (like burning, acid, heal, etc for weapons), but adding one will burn some of your rep with them and you can find yourself accidentally dropping from 3 to 2 like I did with the first one that does multicannon upgrades.

Yeah I just out a few minutes after I made that post :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Hs0GjoeYY

This video is pretty interesting, seems like an easy way to game the rep system.

Oddly enough this is kinda fun, although I will admit that having a Venture Brothers stream playing on a second monitor while I jump around helps keep the monotony down :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I just out a few minutes after I made that post :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Hs0GjoeYY

This video is pretty interesting, seems like an easy way to game the rep system.

Oddly enough this is kinda fun, although I will admit that having a Venture Brothers stream playing on a second monitor while I jump around helps keep the monotony down :v:

Good advice. A second diversionary monitor is a must, especially when you're on an extended journey courtesy of your frameshift drive all evening.

I have a Bravia + BD player next to my computer instead of a second monitor and it helps a lot.

Elite Dangerous: I crashed into the sun because I was too busy watching classic Dr Who.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Elite Dangerous: I crashed into the sun because I was too busy watching classic Dr Who. You'll need a second monitor to relieve the tedium.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Krycek posted:

What Braben doesn't understand, or wilfully ignores, is that players naturally form groups in online games. The EVEness that he so detests is exactly what draws players to MMOs. I mean, look at inara and elite. Braben wouldn't give us guilds so people went off site to create the tools to form them anyways.

I realize elite is what it is and that's not going to change. But I can't help but face palm when I see game designers trying so hard to swim against the current as is the case here.

Not everyone loves EVE style stuff or wants another EVE, it's a deal breaker for a lot of people. Only FD know the true numbers of who's doing what in what mode and they don't seem to be making many moves towards a more EVE style game, so although what you say is a very common complaint on forums it may not be reflected by what the majority of the player-base want.

Guilds are not the issue, restricting their power over other players is the issue.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I just realized I'm only half a Federation rank away from a Gunship. I know 17 draconis used to be the place to go, but are there any new places where I can pew pew for rank? Courier missions made me have a heart attack of boredom when I got my Cutter.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Are the Federation ships actually worth using? I haven't flown either, but comparing the Anaconda and the Corvette and there doesn't look to be much in it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
We does the discussion on player groups and interaction always lead to "there is absolutely no middle ground between unchanging single player grind with minimal to zero meaningful player contact and the most hardcore EVE spreadsheet Corp simulator with mandatory IRL espionage"

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
The Corvette's a fun ship to fly. Handles better than the Conda, lower firepower, bigger tank. Plus it kinda looks like a star destroyer

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Gort posted:

Are the Federation ships actually worth using? I haven't flown either, but comparing the Anaconda and the Corvette and there doesn't look to be much in it.

The FAS reminds me of the Vulture I was flying, just bigger and meaner.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Capn Beeb posted:

Don't forget the far worse shields.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Capn Beeb posted:

Before plasma cannons were nerfed (and then slightly un-nerfed), I had a twin PAC, twin rail FAS that was really fun to fly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Don't forget the far worse shields.

You're supposed to use the new military slots to armor that bastard up to the keel.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

You're supposed to use the new military slots to armor that bastard up to the keel.

:rip: jump range

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

"We'll balance ships by increasing the number of loading screens you get when flying it!" -A very good designer

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Don't you dare criticize this game or its designers, this thread is a safe space.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What's the minimum percentage of rare rocks on a landable planet that's worth landing on for soul crushing farming?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I've read the points and counterpoints about realism going around. The polls, the feuds, the civil discussions. And I want to just drop an idea here as part of the ongoing discourse.

My thesis is simple: the claim to want realism is an error. The request actually being described by the ED Realists is for naturalism, not realism. And that difference is crucial to understand, because it resolves a fruitless and misguided dispute with ED Gamists.

What is the difference between realism and naturalism?

Realism is a style that is meant to reflect the hard realities of whatever is depicted. I'll make comparisons to visual art, because that's my wheelhouse. Realism is a "warts and all" style. It is an unflinching look at the way things are, without any adjustment or decoration beyond what cannot be gotten rid of in the medium. Paint is still paint, photos are still photos. For that matter, games are still games.

Naturalism is a style that sticks close to the appearances of the world, but smooths over some of the unpleasantness to create a more attractive experience. All those portraits of the famous and wealthy that dot our history, all those believable illustrations in books, all those landscapes, all those NASA Photos of the Day with color adjustments to make them more appealing wallpapers - those are all naturalistic. They show us things we immediately recognize because they're rendered believably, but are not interested in showing the blemishes or unappealing angles.

In short, realism is a style that unflinchingly shows what is, and naturalism is a style that shows what is believable.

How does realism versus naturalism matter in ED?

Because ED is a game, not a job or a lifestyle or something meant to be anything other than an entertaining diversion, virtually no one truly wants realism. Not even the ED Realists. We want the splendor and excitement of space travel, of starfighters, of stunning interstellar vistas. ED Gamists don't want to give up that level of game experience, either. On the other hand, neither ED Realists nor ED Gamists want the tedium of flight checks, weeks spent in dock for repairs, hours spent loading and unloading cargo, and so on.

What both ED Realists and ED Gamists want is a naturalistic experience of being a spacefarer in an open-world galaxy. We want a naturalistic style of play that feels like space without getting bogged down in the work that being a spacefarer would realistically require. The minutiae of space travel are papered over so we can get on with the experiences that are relatively high-yield with respect to enjoyment. Traders bang out trade routes, chasing credits/hour. For them, the game is perfecting a run from station to station in minimum time. Combat pilots "git gud" and play a competition within the believable but patently artificial physics of the game. Explorers become experts of navigating a galaxy map that is a naturalistic, procedurally generated extrapolation from real-world astrography and revealing the aesthetic treasures FDev has hidden within.

How does the view from naturalism help?

It gives us a more balanced viewpoint to do away with fallacious arguments. For example, ED Realists say, "If you don't like load screens and long travel times, it's not the game for you," because those things are "realistic." But, they're not. They're design decisions that need criticism to be improved and create a more enjoyable - even a more naturalistic - play experience. Meanwhile, the ED Gamists need to let up about "muh immersion," because we do also want to feel immersed in the fantasy of spacefaring in a 3303 that never will be.

In sum, naturalism is what we're craving in ED, not realism. The challenge is for us, as a community, to understand that this what we say we want and help FDev by providing feedback about how their design is creating or could create more immersive and enjoyable gameplay.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I actually tested this out on Coriolis, the available military slots aren't too oversized, so you don't lose a lot of range. Also remember, you can engineer your light weight armor with heavy armor mods without gaining extra mass!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Warriors of Elite Dangerous,

How do you fight in a Python?

Is it a matter of doing something on the turn, or heading towards turrets and throwing out Dakka? I've flown one briefly, but I don't want to lose one stupidly to a couple of sidewinders.

Compare and contrast with the Anaconda if you could, and thank you for your time.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I've read the points and counterpoints about realism going around. The polls, the feuds, the civil discussions. And I want to just drop an idea here as part of the ongoing discourse.

My thesis is simple: the claim to want realism is an error. The request actually being described by the ED Realists is for naturalism, not realism. And that difference is crucial to understand, because it resolves a fruitless and misguided dispute with ED Gamists.

What is the difference between realism and naturalism?

Realism is a style that is meant to reflect the hard realities of whatever is depicted. I'll make comparisons to visual art, because that's my wheelhouse. Realism is a "warts and all" style. It is an unflinching look at the way things are, without any adjustment or decoration beyond what cannot be gotten rid of in the medium. Paint is still paint, photos are still photos. For that matter, games are still games.

Naturalism is a style that sticks close to the appearances of the world, but smooths over some of the unpleasantness to create a more attractive experience. All those portraits of the famous and wealthy that dot our history, all those believable illustrations in books, all those landscapes, all those NASA Photos of the Day with color adjustments to make them more appealing wallpapers - those are all naturalistic. They show us things we immediately recognize because they're rendered believably, but are not interested in showing the blemishes or unappealing angles.

In short, realism is a style that unflinchingly shows what is, and naturalism is a style that shows what is believable.

How does realism versus naturalism matter in ED?

Because ED is a game, not a job or a lifestyle or something meant to be anything other than an entertaining diversion, virtually no one truly wants realism. Not even the ED Realists. We want the splendor and excitement of space travel, of starfighters, of stunning interstellar vistas. ED Gamists don't want to give up that level of game experience, either. On the other hand, neither ED Realists nor ED Gamists want the tedium of flight checks, weeks spent in dock for repairs, hours spent loading and unloading cargo, and so on.

What both ED Realists and ED Gamists want is a naturalistic experience of being a spacefarer in an open-world galaxy. We want a naturalistic style of play that feels like space without getting bogged down in the work that being a spacefarer would realistically require. The minutiae of space travel are papered over so we can get on with the experiences that are relatively high-yield with respect to enjoyment. Traders bang out trade routes, chasing credits/hour. For them, the game is perfecting a run from station to station in minimum time. Combat pilots "git gud" and play a competition within the believable but patently artificial physics of the game. Explorers become experts of navigating a galaxy map that is a naturalistic, procedurally generated extrapolation from real-world astrography and revealing the aesthetic treasures FDev has hidden within.

How does the view from naturalism help?

It gives us a more balanced viewpoint to do away with fallacious arguments. For example, ED Realists say, "If you don't like load screens and long travel times, it's not the game for you," because those things are "realistic." But, they're not. They're design decisions that need criticism to be improved and create a more enjoyable - even a more naturalistic - play experience. Meanwhile, the ED Gamists need to let up about "muh immersion," because we do also want to feel immersed in the fantasy of spacefaring in a 3303 that never will be.

In sum, naturalism is what we're craving in ED, not realism. The challenge is for us, as a community, to understand that this what we say we want and help FDev by providing feedback about how their design is creating or could create more immersive and enjoyable gameplay.

Interesting points, there, OP, and a nicely written post. Rep for you.

I'm a big advocate of "playing the game your way" - it's kinda my unofficial mantra.

For me, it's all about a willing suspension of disbelief, like when I read a book: I like to immerse myself in stuff, letting my imagination fill in the gaps (and my imagination is the best GFX card I've ever installed).

To this end, Elite for me is about a type of gamified realism, which you've nicely dubbed 'naturalism'.

Naturalism is one of the reasons I don't use massacre exploits, or mission-stack relogging, or whatever the latest "get rich quick" scheme is: Heck, it's the reason I mostly play in Solo, so I'm not bothered by PCs who most likely will only serve to spoil my ED world-view by doing or saying something out-of-character. I know that, in-game, I can allow myself to be part of the ED world without all that tedious reality.

On a very basic, geeky level I'm pretending to be a space-ship pilot - even though I know I'm not really. I use a keyboard & mouse, so my imagination needs to do a bit more work, but having been brought up from a very early age on sci-fi and books, I'm pretty good at suspending that disbelief. I'm having fun pretending to fly a space-ship like I did when I was five, crayoning switches and dials on cardboard boxes, just with better grown-up tools.

If I start "cheating" (a very broad brush for a discussion full of minutiae), then the immersion - the willing suspension of disbelief - is ruined and I might just as well be doing something else like cheating at online poker or one of those freebie tower defense games. There's literally no point in soiling the experience I want to have with this sort of bypass to my ED story.

I'd probably quite enjoy even more realism in the game, if I'm being honest. I wouldn't mind if it took a minute or two for cargo to be shipped up or your new power plant installed. If I could see robot arms whizzing about the docking bay doing stuff, or surly dockers driving power-loaders, it would make that delay even better, even more immersive... but I don't want more realism at the expense of naturalism if it spoils my game experience - as you say, it's a game, and it needs to be enjoyed: Balance is the key.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
mods please change my name to "my imagination is the best GFX card I've ever installed"

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hav posted:

Is it a matter of doing something on the turn, or heading towards turrets and throwing out Dakka? I've flown one briefly, but I don't want to lose one stupidly to a couple of sidewinders.

Compare and contrast with the Anaconda if you could, and thank you for your time.

As a terrible python flyer, it turns like a boat and handles much like a conda. Even though DD5 helps (most things you can just tank and lazy-turn fight), you need FA off flip turns and drifting to keep your guns pointed on-target and yourself out of gun arc of whatever you're killing. I didn't really like beam turrets on top. Not enough control over them and drained too much cap but that was before engineers.

I'm still modding it, but this is my loadout. It can handle most thing except higher ranked condas. https://tinyurl.com/jzen58w Once I have grade 5 beams and MC unlocked I'll switch to 2 medium gimbaled healbeams and 3 large overcharged MC.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I am rather sure that combat is all I want to do in this game. I still have a trading / mining python, an Asp explorer / mission runner, and a passenger clipper that I want to sell because the Asp does the job better.

Of course I have a fully pimped vulture but lately I don't feel as invincible as I used to. I can afford an fdl with almost top of the line loadout, should I go for it and spend some time engineering it?

I have no rank with the feds and no intention of grinding it btw.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
drat, the difference between a engineered FSD and a stock one is huge. I was thinking it would just be a lil increase, but i gained like 30% range from a level 4 engineered one.

Is there a list or a explanation of what all the terminology on the upgrade screen means? Some of it is p straight forward, like changes in mass, but i find it difficult to understand where i want the sliders to end up and what's good and not with a lot of the stuff.

edit: oh wait i think i get it. red doesnt necessarily mean bad, it just means that that stat goes down. so there arent really "bad" outcomes, just varying degrees of good
edit2: or well no, not exactly, but i think i get it anyway. most of the values are well labeled, i just stumbled over one i didnt understand straight away for my first experience with it

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 8, 2017

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Boogalo posted:

As a terrible python flyer, it turns like a boat and handles much like a conda. Even though DD5 helps (most things you can just tank and lazy-turn fight), you need FA off flip turns and drifting to keep your guns pointed on-target and yourself out of gun arc of whatever you're killing. I didn't really like beam turrets on top. Not enough control over them and drained too much cap but that was before engineers.

I'm still modding it, but this is my loadout. It can handle most thing except higher ranked condas. https://tinyurl.com/jzen58w Once I have grade 5 beams and MC unlocked I'll switch to 2 medium gimbaled healbeams and 3 large overcharged MC.

The python isn't a fighter, it's an artillery tower, for the most part you can sit still and point yourself at what needs to die and it'll die.

At least that's how I think of it. I'm an idiot so YMMV.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I feel like frontier needs to revisit all these useless stars with no planets considering statistically on average stars have at least 1 planet.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Hav posted:

I am something of a fan of taking ships that are very boaty and working to establish a higher than usual time on target. With the Python's flight model, I would probably end up doing the same thing as I do with my Cutter: moving between forward and reverse 'blue zone' while pitching up and having the vertical thrusters pushing me down.

This provides some challenges in terms of power management as (at least in my case) I am using gimbal to offset the maneuverability issues and that means you have to be prepared to adjust immediately to chaff, either by immediately shielding up and boosting past your target to FA-off drift back on target, or detargeting and using your weapons in a fixed configuration.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
Sometimes patience pays off.

Amazon tried to cancel my reserve order 3 times, but I still got it at the low price.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Alzion posted:

Sometimes patience pays off.

Amazon tried to cancel my reserve order 3 times, but I still got it at the low price.

Tempted, and Taxa Claus is coming

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mimesweeper posted:

The python isn't a fighter, it's an artillery tower, for the most part you can sit still and point yourself at what needs to die and it'll die.

At least that's how I think of it. I'm an idiot so YMMV.

High five fellow incompetent idiot because that's how I use it too.

In a vulture or DBS I actually use the lateral thrusters to a useful extent but the python is more like a space station wagon.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

High five fellow incompetent idiot because that's how I use it too.

In a vulture or DBS I actually use the lateral thrusters to a useful extent but the python is more like a space station wagon.

I fly my Vulture like I fly M4s and M3s (medium and heavy fighters) in the X series. Lots of corkscrewing around the target, more lateral movement than a crab on meth.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

I fly my Vulture like I fly M4s and M3s (medium and heavy fighters) in the X series. Lots of corkscrewing around the target, more lateral movement than a crab on meth.

M4s best spaceships ever. Argon Buster 4 life.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

M4s best spaceships ever. Argon Buster 4 life.

Yeah. Sure, some M3s get an assturret but that doesn't mean poo poo when you're running rings around them outside its arc. Also, Egosoft's ship aesthetics are fantastic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

I feel like frontier needs to revisit all these useless stars with no planets considering statistically on average stars have at least 1 planet.

"On average"

there are systems with like 50+ planets out there

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah. Sure, some M3s get an assturret but that doesn't mean poo poo when you're running rings around them outside its arc. Also, Egosoft's ship aesthetics are fantastic.

It drives me nuts that X3: Terran Conflict is still unmatched in spaceship design to this day. 9 year old game.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

I think I've spent more time flying sideways than straight forwards in my DBS. No gently caress you, I'm not going to be in your fire arc.

(Incidentally, managed to gather up some rage in CQC while playing a Condor, back when CQC was new - apparently it's 'cheating' when I'm just not there by the time they turn around..)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

I think I've spent more time flying sideways than straight forwards in my DBS. No gently caress you, I'm not going to be in your fire arc.

(Incidentally, managed to gather up some rage in CQC while playing a Condor, back when CQC was new - apparently it's 'cheating' when I'm just not there by the time they turn around..)

Knowing how to strafe is cheating you filthy hacker cheater scammer goon.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Drake_263 posted:

:respek: Scoot and shoot, baby

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Holy crap my Asp-E has a 32LY jump range now, FAS went up to 20 over 11 :stare:

Gonna go work on The Dweller next :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Capn Beeb posted:

Holy crap my Asp-E has a 32LY jump range now, FAS went up to 20 over 11 :stare:

Gonna go work on The Dweller next :toot:

You can swap a size 4 FSD with a class 5 range upgrade between your DBS and Vulture too :eng101:

• Locked thread