Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You don't. There's no card for that.

You sure? Could have sworn I got either the Shani or another Gaunter card for beating the halfling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fuzz posted:

You sure? Could have sworn I got either the Shani or another Gaunter card for beating the halfling...
No, you get nothing for winning.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hopper posted:

Just out of curiosity, as I have no background whatsoever in gaming, I am just wondering WHY they make people sign NDAs that prevent them from talking about things like left out content for a game after the project has ended, and the game has been published. Especially when it is the end of a series, knowing there won't be a game that might use the content. I guess I just can't imagine what use that kind of knowledge would be to outside parties, aside from fans interested in what could have been (and then write long list of questions about it hehe).

Off the top of my head, they might use the content in a future expansion or repurpose it for a different game, they don't want to give competitors free ideas, and it can be bad PR to discuss cut content because fans will go "wow that sounds cool" and get mad that it was left out.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 6, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Hopper posted:

Just out of curiosity, as I have no background whatsoever in gaming, I am just wondering WHY they make people sign NDAs that prevent them from talking about things like left out content for a game after the project has ended, and the game has been published. Especially when it is the end of a series, knowing there won't be a game that might use the content. I guess I just can't imagine what use that kind of knowledge would be to outside parties, aside from fans interested in what could have been (and then write long list of questions about it hehe).

I was just reading an article that discussed this in relation to the voice actor's strike. It's apparently due to the game's industry growing out of the tech industry rather than the entertainment industry. Where technical details of your project leaking is a pretty huge deal and could cost you lots. Basically the article was saying they just haven't adapted well to the industry they're in. That was coming from someone involved in the performance side of the games industry, so I suppose it might actually be different if you are involved with the development side.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Should have put something in Devil's Pit then, that's the most obvious cut in all of the game. People come there, clear out the bandits and then stare at the caves below through grating and locked door, trying to figure out what's that all about, but it's nothing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pyromancer posted:

Should have put something in Devil's Pit then, that's the most obvious cut in all of the game. People come there, clear out the bandits and then stare at the caves below through grating and locked door, trying to figure out what's that all about, but it's nothing.

Oh so I guess I didn't gently caress that up. Huh.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Get the mod which disables geralt's hair but keeps hairworks on everything else. His beard looks great with it as do wolves

Haven't hosed with mods before. Might take a look at what's available.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hairworks is fine if you use the one true haircut. (Shaved sides, long ponytail on top like the flashback in the beginning) ... and a full beard.

gently caress the Fabio hair of the books.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Hairworks is fine if you use the one true haircut. (Shaved sides, long ponytail on top like the flashback in the beginning) ... and a full beard.

As soon as I saw that haircut I knew that some developer lost his battle with project management to make that the default hair. It's wonderful but not canon. Pair itvwith the short mustache long goatee to complete the chick magnet look.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I've been on a Witcher 3 binge the last few weeks, nearly finishing my 2nd playthrough of the main story. Been playing every day, and I am now beginning to have dreams about the game when I sleep. Last night I dreamt I found a mod that changed Geralt's face to the last character he had spoken to. Just his face - not his hairstyle or beard. So if there had just been a cutscene with Geralt talking with Triss, he would now have Triss' face + Geralt hair and beard, until next time he had a cutscene with another character. At one point in my dream he had a halfling face. I thought it was the greatest mod ever.

And then I woke up this morning, and the mod was just a dream. And I was sad :(

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Just lol if you don't have elven rebel, friendly mutton chops and Griffin armour, for ultimate dad look.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just lol if you don't have elven rebel, friendly mutton chops and Griffin armour, for ultimate dad look.

Don't forget the glasses.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Oh so I guess I didn't gently caress that up. Huh.

There's a video somewhere of someone noclipping-or-whatever exploring the cave system.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Comte, if you're fielding loose questions, one thing I was always curious about was whether or not the writers come into the game with a giant body of knowledge about old world monsters and folklore, or if like the first year of development is just, like, Harry Potter style homework where you are all just pouring over old tomes going "Oh sweet you found milk vampires from Iceland! Dude, check out this aborted baby monster I just found in these old polish nursery rhymes, maybe we can make him fight one of those!"

and was there anything too silly, like was there some monster or myth or spell where you guys were like "Uh, this is dumb, and shouldn't be in our wizards, titties, and dragons game."

Either way I'm super loving the game. What quests did you work on? I'll keep an eye out.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fuzz posted:

:yeah:

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Pyromancer posted:

Pretty sure that they planned to.

Also this.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 6, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2223/
Brings Triss's field outfit from Witcher 2 back.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes! I think the W2 one is a lot better than the one in W3 (I'm sorry if anyone who worked on her W3 model reads this). It's not like it's terrible, my only real gripe with the W3 outfit is that her chest is exposed. A bit odd since Lambert even mentions what happened at Sodden. Obviously, the burn marks aren't visible, but I think the psychological damage is still there.

Now if only we could get the face from the SoD trailer.

Shani is the best redhead though.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 6, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember Triss even saying herself that she would never wear a dress showing cleavage again in relation to Sodden... or was that only in the books?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Don't forget the glasses.

This plus full beard are the most essential elements to Dad Geralt.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Decided to dive into mods. I'm now running Hairworks for everything but Geralt, Autoloot, Real Witcher Eyes, and AutoOil.

The Auto mods feel close to cheating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp I finished up Witcher 2 again, still think it's a great game though it does feel limited in comparison to 3 now. Knowing what is coming in 3, the plot feels even stronger now, and my mindset of "gently caress Emhyr :colbert:" feels all the more justified (also gently caress Radovid).

Got all the achievements except for the Insanity difficulty one and the fake "Kill All Trolls" one that CPRD put in so everybody will always be stuck on 99% completion. Time to play Witcher 3 again :neckbeard:

Edit: Also I forgot how funny the game can be:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 7, 2017

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

^ Just started my first play of Witcher 2. What mods do I need to make it more playable and help me to ignore the fact it's not as awesome as Witcher 3?

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Octy posted:

^ Just started my first play of Witcher 2. What mods do I need to make it more playable and help me to ignore the fact it's not as awesome as Witcher 3?

None.

I personally like TW2 more than TW3 base. Although HoS is better than both of them, TW2 is a bit janky, but there's nothing wrong with the combat. Go for a sword and alchemy build, and even on Dark difficulty, you'll slay everything.

Examples (who needs Quen?):
https://gfycat.com/ThornyThunderousBlacklab
https://gfycat.com/ExhaustedChillyGnat
https://gfycat.com/BruisedWhiteEagle
Wrong sword? No problem.
https://gfycat.com/GrouchyFancyFruitbat

Also, pick the elf, then replay and pick the soldier. I'm biased, but Vergen is so pretty, and the music there is great.

Also, the way Geralt holds his sword with both hands is badass.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah i didn't bother with any mods, base game works just fine especially as you level up and start bulldozing every enemy they send at you.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah i didn't bother with any mods, base game works just fine especially as you level up and start bulldozing every enemy they send at you.

It's a lot of fun. Pro tip: Just invest in the extended roll early on. It makes life a lot easier.

I also really like TW2's launch trailers. Masterclass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNAsFBjP_7w

Imagine a world where Hedningarna did the music for TW3. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJwYp0vfTuE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy crap, Nvidia's Ansel (Alt+F2 if you have a recent Nvidia card) with Witcher 3 is insane

It's gonna take me another 300 hours to get through the game again because I'm going to be stopping every 5 seconds to take photos

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Just finished Hearts of Stone.

Goddamn that was good poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh, that's a good mod.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, the level of detail and such makes it not look out of place, surprisingly. Added it into my mod list.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That should have been the alternative outfit DLC.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Palpek posted:

That should have been the alternative outfit DLC.

I always thought they were going to, seeing as the outfit is lying on the floor of her house. I thought Geralt would pick it her and bring it to her.

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, the level of detail and such makes it not look out of place, surprisingly. Added it into my mod list.

Overall, TW2 had great texture work, very detailed. Graphically, the game still looks gorgeous, and in some areas has better lighting than W3. Granted, the levels are a fraction of the size.

I wish someone would port Letho's face from TW2 into TW3. I can't pinpoint what it is, but something with him and Roche looks wrong.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The forest in Witcher 2 was so insanely cool, the trees were huge and it felt like wandering into a prehistoric jungle. Witcher 3 forests are pretty but more, I dunno, typical western fantasy environment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really liked that about Witcher 2. The whole game is set on the absolute edge of human civilization, which helps emphasize either helping Roche or Iorveth. Humans might dominate the land but they sure as hell dint own all of it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

TenaciousD posted:

I wish someone would port Letho's face from TW2 into TW3. I can't pinpoint what it is, but something with him and Roche looks wrong.

Roche constantly looks sweaty in W3. It's really loving odd.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Roche constantly looks sweaty in W3. It's really loving odd.

He's attempting to plot the assassination of a notoriously paranoid and calculating King AND work out a deal with the notoriously evil Emperor of Nilfgaard AND his biggest supporter is a monstrous spymaster/crime lord. Of course he's sweating!

Also he keeps the fires burning hot at their camp because he's worried Ves will catch a cold :ohdear:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roche and ves have squirrel teeth in Witcher 3

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Arcsquad12 posted:

Roche and ves have squirrel teeth in Witcher 3

It's a slow mutation from subsiding on squirrel meat. Time's been tough for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ves is just having an allergic reaction to whatever toxins where in Geralt's system during Witcher 2.