Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

I'm not really sure why they are in a big rush to respond to Ryzen. They have the OEM market pretty much dominated for the time being. They could do other things like lower their prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

13.63 +1.39 (11.36%)
After Hours: 13.67 +0.04 (0.29%)

Seems like there is tremendous upside to the Intel deal without specifics

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If accurate, the i5-7640K if $100 cheaper than a 7700K would be a good buy.

Edit: Apparently there's a correction and the 7640K won't be hyper-threaded? Snoozefest. The wider Skylake design gets even more out of hyperthreading and it's starting to actually make a big difference.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 7, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Chipzilla's moving! Praise be to Moore, Chipzilla has been roused from its torpor!

https://www.cpchardware.com/intel-prepare-la-riposte-a-ryzen/

The gist: Intel appears to be carving out new bins for higher-clocked versions of existing chips in response to Ryzen:

* An overclocked i7-7700K at 4.3GHz and 100W TDP named i7-7740K
* An overclocked i5-7600K at 4.0GHz and maybe Hyperthreading named i5-7640K

They should be getting their hands on samples by the end of the week. Better translation forthcoming!

The article seems to mention that AMD might be having trouble with the mid-range Ryzen CPUs, though, in regards to clock speeds. If so, they might not be able to straight demolish Intel's offering across all ranges like the fanboys are dreaming.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Rumors like this get me a bit excited for what Intel has in preparation for their special butterfly Kaby Lake-X for the next HEDT platform.

Wait which thread was I in? I meant um WHOO WHOO AMD A-RYZEN UP

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PerrineClostermann posted:

The article seems to mention that AMD might be having trouble with the mid-range Ryzen CPUs, though, in regards to clock speeds. If so, they might not be able to straight demolish Intel's offering across all ranges like the fanboys are dreaming.

About the best I can hope for is Intel to drop prices. If AMD somehow matches or even beats Intel I will be so loving surprised. Like Trump won the presidency surprised.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Intel will just move up the release of consumer-socket 6-core chips. I imagine they have those designed and ready to produce already.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

FuturePastNow posted:

Intel will just move up the release of consumer-socket 6-core chips. I imagine they have those designed and ready to produce already.

Until Ryzen has released they don't have a single reason to enjoy their monopoly, but I do think they're probably gonna be a bit slow off the mark to catch up on affordable core count. AMD might be a great deal, but they're far behind in mindshare right now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey everyone. I planned to translate this during my lunch break, but work had other plans. Translating now, but I'm excited that Intel is moving at all because the worst possible indication of what AMD is doing would be for Intel to roll over, fart, and go back to sleep.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As before, my commentary is in (parenthesis).

* In contrast to slides from Intel reassuring investors that Ryzen didn't pose a threat last fall, Intel's marketing team are trying to avoid the humiliation of an i7-6900K-equivalent ($1200) being available at a much lower price.
* (The words used to describe these measures is "une solution de tout dernier recours qui représente un aveu de faiblesse incontestable," A last resort solution that is tantamount to a confession of weakness.)
* (One wonders if the initially-low clocks of Ryzen ES silicon lulled Intel into complacency?)
* They know of the names of two chips being prepped in advance. (This does not appear to mean _only_ these two new chips, just that they are preparing "several" and this is what they know.)
* An overclocked i7-7700K at 4.3GHz and 100W TDP named i7-7740K
* An overclocked i5-7600K at 4.0GHz and maybe Hyperthreading named i5-7640K
* At the same time, Intel is probably going to try and leverage Kaby Lake having HT in Pentium and i3 lines.
* i5 getting HT, however, seems to be an 11th hour move.
* They'll have access to the i5-7640K soon and will verify HT and other specs.
* Early benchmarks on Ryzen has whipped Intel into a fever (word used: la febrilite, english: febrility, febrile, feverish)
* Intel trying to put themselves on the balls of their feet so they can quickly respond to whatever last-minute changes AMD pulls out, but validation of silicon is time-consuming, especially when they incorporate fiddly things like HT on i5.
* Statement that mainstream adoption of 4c8t parts is, of course, good for the consumer and that the market has gone far too long without healthy competition.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 7, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
But I thought we were at the limits of siliicon, and the lack of competition from AMD had nothing to with Intel abusing its position!

Seriously though, glad to see Intel rattled. If Intel is worried, Zen might just be worth the wait.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
* Literal translation: "Quad-core Ryzen continues to quest for more MHz. Is there hope for Intel?"
* AMD certainly hadn't anticipated the level of performance achieved by Zen, but we're probably not looking at another dumping of Intel a la Pentium 4 again.
* AMD poses a concern to Intel by virtue of price/performance on the most expensive models at 6, 8, and 10 cores. (Yes, they said 6, 8, and 10.)
* With their _considerable_ frequency, SMT, and number of cores, the top-end models of Ryzen should offer excellent performance to highly-multi-threaded applications that can use all those cores.
* (Yes, if you're following along, I know. There was the potential for mistranslation. "consequent" can also mean "considerable", and that's probably what they meant there, not "consistent".)
* As for the rest of the stack, especially quadcore parts and video game performance, the latest information has them worried. As they wrote in their article, 4c Ryzen should be between 3.8 GHz and 4.2 GHz base to compete with Intel, but as of now, samples are only hitting 3.2 GHz base. Strange, considering that the 8c models hit 3.4/3.8 and 3.6/4.0 base/boost. (And we all know how chips with more cores INHERENTLY have to have lower clock speeds. AMD either did magic with 8 cores, or hosed something up with 4 cores.)
* It's not out of the question that these quadcores will have a really high boost clock that will salvage the part, (literal translation: "save the furniture") but right now they have no information regarding this.
* CanardPC only have 6- and 8- core chips in B stepping in their possession, and do not know the boost clocks of the 4-core B stepping, but given that 8-core jumped 400 MHz going from A0 and B, it's a good bet that the 4c chip probably went up the same or less, from A0's 2.9/3.4 Ghz base/boost to an estimated 3.3/3.8GHz base/boost, which is not going to be enough to compete with the i5-7640K.
* They feel that 3.8/4.2 base at minimum is required to compete with the i5-7640K.
* AMD either did magic with 8 cores or hosed up 4. So what the heck, AMD?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 7, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
* 14nm yield problems at GloFo?
* Initial run of 4c and 6c parts will be binned and disabled 8c parts.
* AMD can easily disable busted cores, whether or not they're on the same core complex.
* Expect AMD to salvage as many chips as possible by disabling some cores and dropping clocks on what remains to "limit the financial damage".
* This is not sustainable past initial launch. AMD might be able to play off the hype, but sooner or later, the disappointing performance of the rest of the range (assuming that they can't get clocks any higher before launch) is going to be the story.
* NDAs ending should tell us what we need to know. If AMD only shipped 8c/16t parts to reviewers, and didn't send out any 4c parts at all, that's a clear indication that there are problems (lit: there exists a wolf) that are negatively impacting downstack products (I interpret this to mean, "problems that impact the entire chip as a whole, and aren't corralled to just one unstable core or something)
* This could result in availability problems, or much higher (retailer) prices (due to demand).
* AMD doesn't have a lot of maneuvering room on production since it doesn't have fabs anymore. They should leave GloFo or find an alternate supplier, which, by coincidence, AMD is doing negotiations with...
* (Link to OC3D article rumoring that AMD is getting Samsung to do production.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 7, 2017

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I've read that the 14mmLPP process they're using for the Ryzen chips doesn't scale to higher clocks that well, and the general design of the chips is more geared towards 8-core than 4. So they're giving something up by not designing specifically 4 core CPUs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IanTheM posted:

I've read that the 14mmLPP process they're using for the Ryzen chips doesn't scale to higher clocks that well, and the general design of the chips is more geared towards 8-core than 4. So they're giving something up by not designing specifically 4 core CPUs.
given the good power efficiency per core, i'm guessing raven ridge is going to aim for the 15-28w space intel dual cores currently inhabit if only 2 cores are enabled

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

IanTheM posted:

Which still does not explain why the 8c parts have higher clocks than the 4c parts.

8c parts must inherently possess lower clocks, either by virtue of complexity leading to higher incidence of frequency-limiting flaws, lower TDP-per-core, or less die space per core where applicable.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hey everyone. I planned to translate this during my lunch break, but work had other plans. Translating now, but I'm excited that Intel is moving at all because the worst possible indication of what AMD is doing would be for Intel to roll over, fart, and go back to sleep.

Thanks for the translation.

edit: Kanter's Zen arch. article is up too: http://www.linleygroup.com/mpr/article.php?id=11666

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

given the good power efficiency per core, i'm guessing raven ridge is going to aim for the 15-28w space intel dual cores currently inhabit if only 2 cores are enabled

They already hit 35w with a Bristol Ridge quad and that's on 28nm and construction cores, I'd be surprised if we don't see a 20-30w quad.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how Global Foundries isn't responsible for manufacturing fuckups and how that's on the customer's tab.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hector Ruiz, that's why.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Intel's apparent panic and the fact that people are accumulating AMD shares on massive volume day after day should tell you a lot. Kind of wish I didn't have a 6700k, want to upgrade sooner.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So it looks like going from a 2500k to the new Ryzen Lord will be a thing for me in the not so distant future. It'll be interesting upgrade time for sure.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd sell this 6600K and board for Ryzen, just to gently caress about with it - the only thing stopping me is sheer laziness. But I'm there in spirit.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I was hoping for some higher clocks on lower core parts for Ryzen as I have a 4590 on an H97 motherboard and a 4.0Ghz 6C with 16GB DDR4 would be a nice drat upgrade.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I could bet that the reason they are doing a XX40K for i5/i7 is also to leave open the posibility of pulling a premium XX90K out of their hat if Ryzen ends up surprising them more then they are planning. But to see them plan at all is good for sure.

However I do still wonder if this will budge the price at all on their >4 core parts for once. Guess we will still have to wait and see but outside of the GloFo crap, everything else looks promising for sure, and outside of initial launch issues, they should be able to recover from some early fab issues in due time I would assume (going off the 480 at least).

Hopefully Vega can also give Nvidia at least a little surprise and hit a good price/performance point that isn't just optimal for Dota/LoL markets.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

I could bet that the reason they are doing a XX40K for i5/i7 is also to leave open the posibility of pulling a premium XX90K out of their hat if Ryzen ends up surprising them more then they are planning. But to see them plan at all is good for sure.

However I do still wonder if this will budge the price at all on their >4 core parts for once. Guess we will still have to wait and see but outside of the GloFo crap, everything else looks promising for sure, and outside of initial launch issues, they should be able to recover from some early fab issues in due time I would assume (going off the 480 at least).

Hopefully Vega can also give Nvidia at least a little surprise and hit a good price/performance point that isn't just optimal for Dota/LoL markets.

You don't really need to plan a price cut that much ahead like you do with new binning. They can wait to see what AMD's prices and performance is and then cut prices, but you can't magic up a supply of well-binned parts on a dime.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Stanley Pain posted:

So it looks like going from a 2500k to the new Ryzen Lord will be a thing for me in the not so distant future. It'll be interesting upgrade time for sure.

gently caress. Yes.

Its been so long, I'm surprised the CMOS coin cell isn't dead yet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll be updating from my 2600k if I can get MOAR CORES at a decent price.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm going to wait for reviews on overclocking potential but man am I ever looking forward to getting off of a 3820 and an R9 290 in favour of Zen and Pascal.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
If the benchmarks are good, I will be getting me a new system. 8 cores? Yes please.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Kimsstevenson/status/827666683108147203

Uhhhhhh. What the crap is going on over at Chipzilla.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Lol the amd bump was an analyst report by Barron's

Also I guess Intel is leaving low margin iot then

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Malcolm XML posted:

Lol the amd bump was an analyst report by Barron's

Also I guess Intel is leaving low margin iot then

Wait what? Didn't they just reorient towards IoT?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not just IoT, she was the COO and therefore in charge of the PC and Mobile division, too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Wait what? Didn't they just reorient towards IoT?
i dare you to not laugh at this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3348051&pagenumber=303#post469175290

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My word, what a coincidence.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://twitter.com/Kimsstevenson/status/827666683108147203

Uhhhhhh. What the crap is going on over at Chipzilla.

I bet she's leaving for Tesla :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

:pwn:

eames
May 9, 2009

Intel is briefing associates on Ryzen.

Please be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That is some funny stuff right there.

Funny thing, is a few of the guys here actually got in on the AMD stock around the time it was in the $1-2 range (for a good chunk I hear,) so they must be pretty happy at this point.

• Locked thread