Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh hey some more actually interesting Fallout 4 mods on the Nexus. Doing an extra post this week because the last two have been barren gently caress all but a few interesting mods popped up in the last few days.

BL Guns somebody is recreating the weaponry from Borderlands and is slowly and surely adding them all to the game via this mod. Naturally these things take advantage of the random nature of the games unique item system. Only pistols at the moment.

Unleveled World for those who aren't a fan of the Oblivion style leveling the game has with some NPC.

Classic Ammo Names renames the ammo types to what they were called in the previous games.

DLC monster invasion add's creatures and raiders from Lone Harbor and Nuka World to the Commonwealth's NPC spawn list for variety.

Subways Of The Commonwealth adds a series of populated subways under the Commonwealth like the DC Metro of Fallout 3. Good for those who want to do a fast travel free run.

Cleaner All In One Enviroment gives you the option to utterly clean up several of the major settlement enviroments getting rid of all the broken stuff and natural/man made litter you cannot remove. The world ended centuries ago clean it the gently caress up!

Commonwealth Surplus basically adds a bunch of military and civil service style uniforms (cops and other minor branches) to the Commonwealth. This mod is also a sneaky Gunner visual variety mod as it adds most of the new stuff to their gear.

Wasteland Jumpsuits Standalone a modder had created high resolution tweaked versions of the many classic jumpsuit overalls from Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.[/URL]

Military Outfit Pack a series of hodge podge military themed outpits thrown together. Female character only at the moment.

Johnny Bravo T-Shirt and Slacks Retexture HUO HWAH!

Jagimet Helmet & Shoulder Pads a Japanese modder created some tribute armor dedicated to this character and pioneer of post apocalypse fashion.

Army Of Two style Ballistic Mask collection for those who like ARMY MASKS.

MP-412 is a newly created heavy revolver style pistol.

The STG-60 is a Nazi assault rifle from the bad history where they won in the new Wolfenstein games.

Mr. Crow posted:

Heads up the fallout 4 HD retexture mod in the OP is trash and causes all kinds of issues, check the comments section for the mod.

It's apparently poorly optimized and can cause severe performance issues, causes CTDs and for me was causing artifacts all across the sky that took me forever to figure out what it was.

Ouch, yeah I imagine some of the pre-GECK/early post GECK mods might be obsolete or on their way out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Any good mods come out lately or about to come out? was thinking of pouring over the mods available now and making a install.

I'm more or less waiting on a 1.0 of Horizons

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
E: apparently I can't just post in steam images anymore, alright.

Was gonna say that 'Thematic and Practical' is a really good mod for the BoS building set. Built a giant tower to go on the side of my main base on Spectacle Island.
front
first floor
third floor

need to outfit all the rooms, then gonna build a second tower on the opposite side to make a full castle.

Though, are there any mods to increase settler limits? I'm at 20 already but this castle's gonna be real empty if I can't have more.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Subways Of The Commonwealth adds a series of populated subways under the Commonwealth like the DC Metro of Fallout 3. Good for those who want to do a fast travel free run.

What kind of heartless monster would do such a thing?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I had a mod installed at some point, that just automatically added to the settlement build limit whenever I reached it, but by Thor, is it ever gone.

Anyone happen to know what mod that was?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have to say that the settlement thing seems overwhelming. Even the smallest item takes so many resources, and having to collect every goddamn piece of junk is annoying. At least I figured out how to get someone to take care of the new tato plants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dick Trauma posted:

I have to say that the settlement thing seems overwhelming. Even the smallest item takes so many resources, and having to collect every goddamn piece of junk is annoying. At least I figured out how to get someone to take care of the new tato plants.

There really is no good reason to do that stuff if you don't want to, except that you miss out on easy xp from the boring repeatable quests and building poo poo, material to mod wapons with from scavenging, and eventually, caps. Oh and the totally unreliable artillery support. That aspect of the game can be completely ignored and it won't really affect the story all that much.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Dick Trauma posted:

Get this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18757/

I also can't get over your avatar, despite seeing it in several treads we apparently have in common...

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

RagnarokZ posted:

I had a mod installed at some point, that just automatically added to the settlement build limit whenever I reached it, but by Thor, is it ever gone.

Anyone happen to know what mod that was?

I've been using: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13779/

Author has evidently been banned from Nexus, so that might be a positive point.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There really is no good reason to do that stuff if you don't want to, except that you miss out on easy xp from the boring repeatable quests and building poo poo, material to mod wapons with from scavenging, and eventually, caps. Oh and the totally unreliable artillery support. That aspect of the game can be completely ignored and it won't really affect the story all that much.

I made the chair for that old lady and stuck it in the farthest corner between two hedges. She is technically my first piece of fencing.

I have the salvage beacons mod but need to get it set up. I have build-itis from many other games so I am going to have to do at least a little settlement development to get it out of my system!

I found my first set of power armor but only have a couple of fusion cores. I've left the armor at home because I only have two cores and no idea of how scarce they might be. I haven't really needed it yet so I'm not too concerned.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

qsvui posted:

Are there any mods that make it so enemies attack companions? I've run into multiple times where enemies move past my companion that is standing right in front of them and shooting them just so they can attack me.

Also, could someone suggest a mod that makes companions more reactive? There have been multiple times where enemies are attacking me and my companion would just stand there.

So far, this game seems like a downgrade from New Vegas companion-wise :(.

Odd, I never had this problem. I gave Cait a power fist and was frequently treated to the hilarious sight of her getting utterly manhandled by enemies using those special melee animation moves.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lurdiak posted:

What kind of heartless monster would do such a thing?

The idea behind the DC Metro was a good, the execution and lazy rear end design was pretty lovely though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SeanBeansShako posted:

The idea behind the DC Metro was a good, the execution and lazy rear end design was pretty lovely though.

I loved the DC Metro :colbert:

Having an entire quarter-> third of the map more or less gated off in a maze of zombie death with MM and FWE have it a cool 'end game' zone feel. It was great fun having to actually sneak around the rubble trying to avoid fights. Then having a sense of accomplishment when you cleared out a subway and could then use it as a shortcut to move around the area safely.

Downtown Boston does a pretty good job of it as well, but it's just not the same for some reason.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Crow posted:

I loved the DC Metro :colbert:

Having an entire quarter-> third of the map more or less gated off in a maze of zombie death with MM and FWE have it a cool 'end game' zone feel. It was great fun having to actually sneak around the rubble trying to avoid fights. Then having a sense of accomplishment when you cleared out a subway and could then use it as a shortcut to move around the area safely.

Downtown Boston does a pretty good job of it as well, but it's just not the same for some reason.

It's probably because Boston is a lot more accessible and open than DC. Bethesda did a pretty good job of making DC feel larger by forcing the player to take some very roundabout paths to get to certain locations, but you can pretty much walk through most of Boston in a straight line. I feel like the area around Goodneighbor is about how the whole city should be, in terms of layout.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The new texture pack sounds interesting. I already have a GTX 1080 - hopefully I won't need two of them to run it at at 2560x1440 though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Goddamn FO4 Dogmeat is the most annoying one yet. Stands on things I need to interact with, jumps up in front of my goddamn gun when I need to shoot things, sits in doorways I'm trying to get through. Makes alarming weird noises when I'm trying to sneak up on scary things. I need to find a mod to teach him to be less of a pain in the rear end.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://m.imgur.com/a/rwWeA
What's the consensus on the texture pack? Wait until someone compresses it to 10GB with no fidelity loss?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Fidelity means nothing when the style is so bland.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Coughing Hobo posted:

Fidelity means nothing when the style is so bland.

This. Upscaling the textures can't fix the base meshes or the lighting issues. You'd need to completely redesign them ala Skyrim's Static Mesh Improvement Mod to notice a major visual change.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alexander DeLarge posted:

http://m.imgur.com/a/rwWeA
What's the consensus on the texture pack? Wait until someone compresses it to 10GB with no fidelity loss?

I mean it's Bethesda. The textures are all probably twice the file size they need to be and half of them have hosed up diffuse maps.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Goddamn FO4 Dogmeat is the most annoying one yet. Stands on things I need to interact with, jumps up in front of my goddamn gun when I need to shoot things, sits in doorways I'm trying to get through. Makes alarming weird noises when I'm trying to sneak up on scary things. I need to find a mod to teach him to be less of a pain in the rear end.

Yeah but if you use the companion commands he can disarm and retrieve active landmines. If that doesn't make him a Good Boy I dunno what will. He doesn't even have opposable thumbs!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

aniviron posted:

Yeah but if you use the companion commands he can disarm and retrieve active landmines. If that doesn't make him a Good Boy I dunno what will. He doesn't even have opposable thumbs!

:stare:

I have to try that.

After I was fed up with his antics he did one of those "DOGMEAT HAS FOUND SOMETHING" routines and it turned out to be a 55 gallon drum stuffed with good loot. Then a few minutes later he balanced the scales by detecting enemies (didn't know he could do that) and then instead of holding position or attacking them he ran back and stood in front of me so I couldn't shoot at the three raiders that followed him.

Good dog. :shepicide:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

:stare:

I have to try that.

After I was fed up with his antics he did one of those "DOGMEAT HAS FOUND SOMETHING" routines and it turned out to be a 55 gallon drum stuffed with good loot. Then a few minutes later he balanced the scales by detecting enemies (didn't know he could do that) and then instead of holding position or attacking them he ran back and stood in front of me so I couldn't shoot at the three raiders that followed him.

Good dog. :shepicide:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15823/

Try this

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There any mods out that make scrapping a settlement of resources fast and not time consuming? I've cleaned all of them up on my first plays I don't want to do it again.

Basically something similar to the scrapall command but without the potential bugs of scrapping doors and stuff like that.

And anything for improving enemy raids of settlements either to make them better or not appear in the middle of your town behind the walls?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What's the gooncensus on Horizon?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Smol posted:

Its good if you're really into 'I never want to use weapons other than pipe pistols and melee' because ~realism~

I just found it a slog. Its punishing and you basically treadmill incremental rewards forever while using the same lovely guns because the most exciting safe you open has 4 whole .45 bullets in it. And you had to kill 20 raiders to get there. :effort:

It does do some good stuff with level scaling and rebalancing enemies I wish was standalone though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If anyone is still on the fence about the texture DLC, someone on Reddit had a look at it and a total of 5% of the textures included are 4k, and it has thousands of duplicate files. So uh, yeah.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Smol posted:

It's very good.

This might be :goonsay:, but if you are bad at shooting things you may struggle but if you know how to pick fights and not waste resources you'll be fine.

Pipe rifle is definitely going to be your bread and butter but you get enough ammo for the other weapons to use them. For example if i know a tough fight is coming up I'll equip my hunting rifle to do double damage essentially, but you can't use it all the time.

Are there any mods to remove raider armor and replace it with regular settler randomness? It seems more interesting to me to have raiders looking like regular people than the comical insane guys from Firefly. I might make that if not.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Zore posted:

Its good if you're really into 'I never want to use weapons other than pipe pistols and melee' because ~realism~

I just found it a slog. Its punishing and you basically treadmill incremental rewards forever while using the same lovely guns because the most exciting safe you open has 4 whole .45 bullets in it. And you had to kill 20 raiders to get there. :effort:

It does do some good stuff with level scaling and rebalancing enemies I wish was standalone though.

As a counterpoint, read my latest posts in this thread. I think Horizon is fantastic for a ton of reasons.

EDIT: Something I think some people aren't realizing is that you have to completely rethink how you scavenge. All your muscle memory and visual cues for what was important scrap in the vanilla game has to be completely rethought. Pristine boxes of cigarettes and cigars are some of the most valuable items you can find. Alcohol is iffy because it's incredibly valuable but also very useful for antibiotics. You should be picking up all the food you can find, all the ingredients you can find, and get your scrap storage system set up as soon as possible so you can call cargo bots as you go.

Also, in vanilla Fallout, you can find one good gun and stick with it forever. You have to think about things differently in Horizon. You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, sell ammo, and you should have a rotation of weapons for different situations. If you know you're off to kill humans, a pipe rifle/sniper rifle, a good melee weapon, and maybe a 10mm will do just fine. If you have to clear out super mutants, a more powerful sniper rifle, laser weapons, and a revolver would do the trick. If you need to take out robots, find a powerful shotgun, etc. You can't just lean on any one weapon to take you through the game, because it won't stand up against everything you encounter, and you're not going to have enough ammo to realistically combat everything. You're also going to have to do a whole lot of running and hiding.

It's better than vanilla in almost every way. The sense of satisfaction of just finally producing purified water at a settlement is more empowering than anything you do in the vanilla game.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

horse mans posted:

As a counterpoint, read my latest posts in this thread. I think Horizon is fantastic for a ton of reasons.

EDIT: Something I think some people aren't realizing is that you have to completely rethink how you scavenge. All your muscle memory and visual cues for what was important scrap in the vanilla game has to be completely rethought. Pristine boxes of cigarettes and cigars are some of the most valuable items you can find. Alcohol is iffy because it's incredibly valuable but also very useful for antibiotics. You should be picking up all the food you can find, all the ingredients you can find, and get your scrap storage system set up as soon as possible so you can call cargo bots as you go.

Also, in vanilla Fallout, you can find one good gun and stick with it forever. You have to think about things differently in Horizon. You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, sell ammo, and you should have a rotation of weapons for different situations. If you know you're off to kill humans, a pipe rifle/sniper rifle, a good melee weapon, and maybe a 10mm will do just fine. If you have to clear out super mutants, a more powerful sniper rifle, laser weapons, and a revolver would do the trick. If you need to take out robots, find a powerful shotgun, etc. You can't just lean on any one weapon to take you through the game, because it won't stand up against everything you encounter, and you're not going to have enough ammo to realistically combat everything. You're also going to have to do a whole lot of running and hiding.

It's better than vanilla in almost every way. The sense of satisfaction of just finally producing purified water at a settlement is more empowering than anything you do in the vanilla game.

You have successfully talked me out of ever using it.

That's just not my thing. :shrug:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Okay?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There any mods out that make scrapping a settlement of resources fast and not time consuming? I've cleaned all of them up on my first plays I don't want to do it again.

Basically something similar to the scrapall command but without the potential bugs of scrapping doors and stuff like that.

And anything for improving enemy raids of settlements either to make them better or not appear in the middle of your town behind the walls?

I think you're outta luck on that first one, just gotta get fast at spamming the two keys you need to scrap and confirm.

Second one though, I don't personally use it since I don't care but I saw this pop up the other day, and it sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Horizon makes a lot of the systems in Fallout 4 actually matter. Having an extremely tense running gunfight through the Boston Mob boss vault for the main quest is legitimately one of my favorite moments in any fallout game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

horse mans posted:

No I picked up on that I just don't find it fun or rewarding. Progress is glacial and incremental and half my fun in these games is playing with cool weapons (Energy weapons and not tactilol bullshit thats in every shooter).

Also I played a few versions ago when eating was absolutely hosed which it looks like has been fixed with some lower level recipes and lowering rads on prewar food. Constantly having ~25% health because even with a stack of various meats being able to cook poo poo required a fully operational settlement or two of crops (which were almost impossible to find) so you had to eat prewar food that radiated you to hell. Then you had to trek down to loving Diamond city to cure it and it was just this viciously unfun gameplay loop.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 7, 2017

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

aniviron posted:

I think you're outta luck on that first one, just gotta get fast at spamming the two keys you need to scrap and confirm.

I use an autohotkey script to single-click scrap, found it on the nexus I think.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The food is still kind of hosed mostly due in part to vanilla surplus settings. There is a mod unlimited surplus or something which let's you adjust it, so you start getting food in your workshop every day if you have excess.

I'm not sure how balanced or not it is, I just found out about it a few days ago, but you get random crops it appears like so I still am missing carrots which you need for everything but I have a ton of worthless loving mutfruit.

He did mention he is aware of the underlying vanilla issue and wants to fix it.

That being said he did make bandages reasonable to craft after I kept hassling him about it, so you shouldn't have issues keeping your health up passed the first level or two.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 8, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

turn off the TV posted:

If anyone is still on the fence about the texture DLC, someone on Reddit had a look at it and a total of 5% of the textures included are 4k, and it has thousands of duplicate files. So uh, yeah.

Bethesda.txt
:effort:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My biggest issue with Horizon, and the reason I'm reluctant to play it, is the fact that it makes ammo scarcer. I understand the reason for this, but it makes automatic weapons even more pointless than the vanilla game, which kind of limits the variety of weapons you can use.

It'd be cool if the mod had its own version of one of those insane "adds 500 new calibers," and then geared certain calibers more for automatic and semi-auto use and adjusted the drops accordingly.

Unless, of course, the mod already works similarly, but it doesn't sound like it does.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Just pointing out that "better than vanilla in every way" is super YMMV, it's not like a hipster "you just don't ~get it~" kind of thing. Some people might just not be into that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Sorry about the opinion I had