Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh boy where that selfie drone failed this one by a part-time orthodontist will surely rock

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/selfly/selfly-camera-the-smart-flying-phone-case-camera

it's got pics of people using it to take their photos at a restaurant, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate all the Oreos posted:

Internet Famous SA goons slowbeef & diabeetus have found a fun new security kickstarter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcIwCbvmxsU
lmao https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1881196998/myplug-the-first-theft-proof-charging-cable-ever-m

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My fidget cube comes today lmao

Mister Sinewave posted:

Oh boy where that selfie drone failed this one by a part-time orthodontist will surely rock

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/selfly/selfly-camera-the-smart-flying-phone-case-camera

it's got pics of people using it to take their photos at a restaurant, etc

June, so either they're idiots or reselling one from aliexpress I haven't seen yet

Also, brushed motors, so good luck when they die out after a few hours of use

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
mine arrived, it's pretty much exactly what they said it would be, tho i'm pretty impressed that i got a physical product kickstarter a month after they said it'd be delivered

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
didn't fishmech get his like 2 or 3 months ago

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

exploded mummy posted:

not from the kickstarter

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
yeah, alibaba is awash in copies that the original creators assure you are ENTIRELY INFERIOR to their glorious cube

i imagine the youtube comparison videos will start coming up soon to sort that out tho

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploded mummy posted:

the legit cubes were supposed to be delivered starting in december, and the prices were $14 for early backers, $19 for later backers, and $25 is meant to be retail price

i paid about $6.70 including shipping from some bay seller based out of singapore on november 17 and i got it delivered november 30, and it's fuckin identical as near as I can tell. also, i won a bet because of it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fishmech posted:

the legit cubes were supposed to be delivered starting in december, and the prices were $14 for early backers, $19 for later backers, and $25 is meant to be retail price

i paid about $6.70 including shipping from some bay seller based out of singapore on november 17 and i got it delivered november 30, and it's fuckin identical as near as I can tell. also, i won a bet because of it.

what was on the line

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

what was on the line

continued virginity

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
fishmech finally got popped? or managed to avoid it?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cold on a Cob posted:

fishmech finally got popped? or managed to avoid it?

depends, does shoving a fidget cube up your rear end count as getting popped?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duTrieux. posted:

what was on the line

$20

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

nice.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
$20 was $20 you could say

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/a-24-year-old-made-345000-by-beating-kickstarters-to-market.html

quote:

Less than a month after starting a business, a 24-year-old entrepreneur CNBC has agreed to call "Jack" wired $70,000 to a factory in Shenzhen, China, praying that the money wasn't going to disappear.

Weeks later, 15,000 plastic toy cubes with joysticks and clickers on their sides, designed to help people who fidgeted too often, arrived. A whole team exhaled, excited about the possibility of making $345,000 in just two months.

The Stress Cube staff knew they were taking risks as they tried to capitalize on the success of various products on crowdfunding sites. They also knew the rewards could be enormous.

Lmao at their first venture, knocking off inflatable beanbag chairs.

quote:

With about $5,000 they pulled together, Jack and a partner launched their company. They bought 250 air lounges and secured a domain name, plus a handful of Square credit card readers. Within weeks, the team sold lounges directly at concerts and fairs. They spent full days building brand awareness and a following on Instagram and Facebook.

Sales grew, but margins slipped as they spent more and more on advertising, which was necessary to battle competitors like WindPouch, Dumbo Lounge and Chillbo Baggins.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Well how are you supposed to compete with Chillbo Baggins?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

quote:

WindPouch, Dumbo Lounge and Chillbo Baggins.

lmbo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mods all of these names

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
barkley 2 update

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
anyone need 31000 brushed 8.5mm motors from a failed kickstarter? (also a lot of other electronics. )

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/bpi-associates/catalogue-id-bp11247/lot-9e55693a-36bc-4c8e-b1cd-a70b00ad2a09

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
mods rename me chillbro baggins

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

mods rename me chillbro baggins

sorry, gonna have to settle for "bildo faggins"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's chillbro swaggins

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's dildo shaggins

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

it's dildo shaggins

javo shaggins

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweevo posted:

it's dildo shaggins

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
so the fighting game tournament EVO has been doing fundraising to decide the final game in the lineup (proceeds go to Make-A-Wish), and if you go to the fundraising page there are some pretty fantastic "give me free money" fundraisers

"I saw this very cool case while looking around on PCPartPicker, i thought it was just awesome looking and decided that i needed to build a PC in this case... that is until i saw the price. now i have put together a very high end PC in this case that i could never afford on my own, but with your help this pc could become a reality. :)"

I don't have a complex and convincing answer, but if you want to realize the bigger dream of a student, meh, this is the right moment, the right place.

Im going to post a standard video showing the cars current state and document the progress on you tube if this dus go somewhere iv only had the car for 4months now

crowdfunding :rolleyes:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
if the "project" will be "founded"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

abraham linkedin posted:

so the fighting game tournament EVO has been doing fundraising to decide the final game in the lineup (proceeds go to Make-A-Wish), and if you go to the fundraising page there are some pretty fantastic "give me free money" fundraisers

crowdfunding :rolleyes:

we can't all be as charismatic as that goon-funded hot dog shack cretin

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

we can't all be as charismatic as that goon-funded hot dog shack cretin

it still owns that the guy who ruined his kids' christmas to donate to a hot dog man discovered that he was actually extremely racist and trans/homophobic

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

abraham linkedin posted:

it still owns that the guy who ruined his kids' christmas to donate to a hot dog man discovered that he was actually extremely racist and trans/homophobic

perhaps throwing money at the hot dog cart was objectively a better investment

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

racist kids

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

abraham linkedin posted:

tbf they were adult kids so its not like santa didn't come that year

still dumb, but not dumb and terrible

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

abraham linkedin posted:

if only he had heeded a confederacy of dunces

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

so a bunch of people at my office (myself included) did a group buy on those stupid fidget cubes. at the order we did it ended up being like $12pp so it's well within "fuckit I'll burn $12 for entertainment" range

they're stalling on deliveries of large buys by requiring that they have every color in the order in stock before shipping and of course we have at least one of each color represented, lmao

it's been well worth the cost of admission to sit in the slack channel where everyone whines about it

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have 3 of the knock-off fidget cubes and all three of them are slightly different.

the cheapest one ($4) sucks, the joystick doesn't move at all, the switch is incredibly stiff, and the spin wheel doesn't really spin.

the mid-priced one (like 6 bucks) is ok, the joystick doesn't move much and the spin wheel is hard to spin. the switch works fine and the metal ball spins easily.

the most expensive one (like $11) has a joystick that works great, a spin wheel that spins easily, a nice switch, and the metal ball actually clicks. it also has 2 silent click buttons like the real one is supposed to.

if u are looking to get the last one look for one that comes in a 2-part box where the top lifts off.

also i have 3 of them cause i make bad decisions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kickstarted in the butt by my own bad decisions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i got mine last week. i picked the nintendo colors -- light gray and dark gray overall, and the buttons are r/g/b/y. it came in a designerly clear plastic box.

it's a neat little pointless thing. all of the parts "work" fine. i wish everything inside was hooked up to a microcontroller so you could use it as a bizarre cyberpunk input device.

e: realistically, the more i look at this the more i think there's probably space to fit all the electronics you'd need for at least half the "controls". put in like a 60mAh battery and an ultra-low-power uC and an NRF24 radio chip and you could do it. it'd be a squeeze, but I think it's possible.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i have 3 of the knock-off fidget cubes and all three of them are slightly different.

the cheapest one ($4) sucks, the joystick doesn't move at all, the switch is incredibly stiff, and the spin wheel doesn't really spin.

the mid-priced one (like 6 bucks) is ok, the joystick doesn't move much and the spin wheel is hard to spin. the switch works fine and the metal ball spins easily.

the most expensive one (like $11) has a joystick that works great, a spin wheel that spins easily, a nice switch, and the metal ball actually clicks. it also has 2 silent click buttons like the real one is supposed to.

if u are looking to get the last one look for one that comes in a 2-part box where the top lifts off.

also i have 3 of them cause i make bad decisions

amazon results for fidget cube: 1071 results

lmao

• Locked thread