Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GenericOverusedName posted:

Something to tell me where the gently caress do go when Spider 1 has a scary unique right at the stairs and all the spiders kick your rear end, and Swamp has another scary unique that will kick your rear end, and Elf is Elf and you will get 1shot by a cave elf with a bow because you're too loving stupid to know to train fighting on your mage dude because why would I want to do that, I'm a magic man. I'm not hitting things, why would i train the hitting things skill.
Go down either Lair branch right after reading teleport, and resign yourself to not being able to go back up the stairs in case of emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I dont have any consumables because I blow them all to be not dying from the early centaurs and ogres. Then the 2headed ogres. And then the hydras. And the centaur captains. And those uniques.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Get banished, scum abyss 1 until you become mega-swole or die.

Either is a solution.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It really depends on what options your character has and what unique your up against. There are lots of uniques that can show up in those branches. Some are much easier to deal with than others. Even the super scary ones sometimes have crippling weaknesses you might overlook. Jorgrun for example cannot see invisible and the damage from shatter is greatly reduced when you fly. So you can quaff invis and flight to trivialize him.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It was uhh Asteron (the minotaur dude) in Spider (and I was gettin hosed up by like, tarantellas to begin with) and goddamn Nikola in Swamp. I died a while ago with this dude.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I did the 'die in Elf' thing because that's what my one random spectator suggested.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Both of those guys can be killed with curare needles. Nikola isn't that scary if you have rElec or a scroll of silence.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Earlier in the thread I recounted how I went down a set of stairs in swamp, got electrocuted by nikola, tried to go back up and died.

I wouldn't have though to use a scroll of silence on him, actually. I sort of assumed his "magic" worked the same way demon smiting did for some weird reason.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Here's my statement vis-a-vis whether the game is harder or not

It probably isn't, but it feels like it is.
That's way more important imo than it actually being harder than it used to be. I genuinely think that over the past few release versions, the game feels more frustrating to play even through all of the quality of life enhancements, even though by all means it probably has gotten easier as time has gone on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mighty Dicktron posted:

That's way more important imo than it actually being harder than it used to be. I genuinely think that over the past few release versions, the game feels more frustrating to play even through all of the quality of life enhancements, even though by all means it probably has gotten easier as time has gone on.

I think its gotten much easier to 3 rune and play certain power combos (MiFi, etc). I think its gotten harder to 15 rune or play sub-optimal things like Octopodes or Felids.

Take this RMiss thing for instance. Felids and Octopodes are just completely locked out of it now and it was one of their better low level survival tools since they can't equip scarves.

I play almost exclusively Octopodes and Kobolds and my Octopode games have been ending earlier and earlier as they've stripped stuff like that out. Meanwhile the Kobold games have been easier I feel so :shrug:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I have an XL 14 OgTm with Dragon Form at <10% cast failure. I feel invincible and will die to hubris.

VVVV :doh:

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 8, 2017

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I have an XL 14 OgTm with Dragon Form at <10% cast failure. I feel invisible and will die to hubris.

An Ogre with Dragonform castable should feel very visible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Difficulty in Crawl is hard to really pin down. Personally, I think the game is harder but in a different way than it used to be. The development focus has shifted away from difficulty in the form of tricks that require prior knowledge to play around. Stuff like item destruction made the game harder in general, but experienced players knew ways to work around it. The old traps & door skill was something a new player would ignore and get punished for, while a veteran would sink the exact amount of points into it and never be bothered by traps. Its hard to really explain this but basically I think there's less difficulty in the form of tricks and traps, but more in terms of actual dangers posed to the player.

Corrosion is probably the best example of this. Old corrosion was annoying and did permanent damage, but veteran players took the proper precautions to avoid being maligned by it. For them, corrosion was barely ever relevant. New corrosion doesn't do permanent damage but its WAY more deadly. Even with the relevant resistance, it can be a huge threat. So the change too corrosion made the game more difficult overall.

There's also the fact that a lot of monsters are more dangerous nowadays than they were in old versions. To continue with the corrosion example, the addition of entropy weavers made acid way more relevant. Those bastards are ridiculously deadly. And even since their addition the mechanics surrounding them have changed to make it even harder to negate what they do. So when I look at something like that, it definitely feels like Crawl is harder.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I read an Angband LP in the archive and was feeling nostalgic so fired it up again. Here's some thoughts that are relevant to the current obfuscation discussion I think:

First of all, unrelated: Good god has o/tab/^f/^g spoiled me. I think we have to make a rule that all roguelikes need to have that, and old ones need to have it retrofitted.

The problem with Angband I started to feel, was that there were too many numbers. Every single weapon and artifact had an average DPS (broken down by resistance and monster type), and my eventually beefy monster memory had HP, AC, %Hit, spells cast/frequency, etc. And it felt... kind of dry. I felt like I wasn't playing an exciting game of an adventurer against impossible odds anymore, I was playing a series of spreadsheet probability formulas. I ran 3 guys and won with all 3 (mostly because of leet strats learned from the LP), and I ended up using mostly the same gear on all 3, because that's what the numbers said. Part of it is a diversity problem, like how Nethack used to be "always be grayswandir" because it was always the most optimal choice, and flavour suffered as a result.

I'm actually OK with how Crawl does obfuscation currently. I have "enough" numbers I feel, without taking away all the mystique/uncertainty out of it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Skull.gif: Seriously, how can you say that removing wands of HW and Tele hasn't made the game harder for crappy players like me? It may have been a crutch, but it was a well used crutch, and the 10% increase to the scrolls/potions has certainly not made up for it. So basically, it's increased the times where I had a character who would have survived after burning through 5 HW charges to one that died. When you're wining 0.5% of your casters, that means you need to play 200 more games to get another win. I haven't won a caster since that change, BTW, because I'm a bad player.

Now, that may be OK, and I'm not saying it isn't. All I'm saying is that crawl has become, TO ME, frustratingly difficult when not playing a MiBe. I don't know how representative I am of the player base, but I have a feeling I'm more representative than the people who regularly 15 rune and hold speed records.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Rename Barachians into Hopgoblins

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

That is the reason, though. They're supposed to be a bigger challenge to win than other species. If you want to be undead and not terrible ghouls exist(and vampires, though they are annoying).

If the purpose of mummies is to be uniquely terrible then why even bother with the space? HE were removed in part to reduce clutter on the races page, Mu seems like an easy cut too because they offer nothing unique.

Part of the frustration I have is that all three undead are tedious at best to play. Vampires are the least tedious but blood mangement is always going to be annoying.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Whoever recommended troll necro as a hybrid class can go fart on their own head, these apts are terrible wtf

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Ghouls are pretty fun. I like their chunk healing mechanic a lot.

But I also liked High Elves, so Ghouls will be the next to go.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think Mummy sort of fills a space as the designated undead caster, it's not quite something that exists only to be garbage. It's fun getting to endgame with a MuSu and having a neverending wall of meat that you can infinitely channel mana to replenish. Just...getting there is really horrible.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Whoever recommended troll necro as a hybrid class can go fart on their own head, these apts are terrible wtf

I started one after that post and it's going great. I forget that I'm a necromancer most of the time though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Araganzar posted:

Two hill giants sitting side by side and one has 58hp and the other has 116hp. In many games you'd know there was SOMETHING different between them. In most others you'd know after you hit one for the first time. Or a few times.

I think there's a difference between obfuscation and hidden information. Is it obfuscation that you don't immediately know the location of all monsters on a level when you enter it, or that you don't know which spellbook an orc wizard is using?

(FWIW, the odds of a monster with 88 avg hp having either 58 or 116 hp is about... uh, anydice just says 0%? 95% of our 88-hp monsters will be between 80 and 96 max hp, and the odds drop off precipitously from there. 99.9% are between 70 and 107 mhp, etc.)

Darth Windu posted:

Rename Barachians into Hopgoblins

Man, your posting has been a lot better lately.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Chakan posted:

If the purpose of mummies is to be uniquely terrible then why even bother with the space? HE were removed in part to reduce clutter on the races page, Mu seems like an easy cut too because they offer nothing unique.

the mindset that is required to 'get' mummy is the mentality that leads to this. study it well, and all will become clear...

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
And Hubris.

Spiders and their entropy weavers have slain the Oragon.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SKULL.GIF posted:

1. This is because the actual accuracy is dependent on what kind of monster you're hitting. See #4
2. We don't show that because it leads to players trying to math out their actions. "This monster has extremely high AC" is sufficient information, IMO, as is "This monster has 80-120 HP".
3, 4. Where would this be displayed, hypothetically? xv? Do you really want to xv monsters all the time to check accuracy? For hexes and such you're already targeting the monster you want to hex, so it's easy to show the expected hit rate. Melee combat works differently.
6, 7. This seems reasonable, but not very useful because damage is affected by AC/resistances.
8. This seems reasonable -- it makes fighting in a crowd a lot less confusing. In a 1v1 you know exactly how much damage you took that turn and from who. With multiples it quickly becomes difficult to identify who's doing the most damage.

I'd like to take time out to thank SKULL.GIF for actually contributing level headed feedback from a dev in the face of SA's known hostility. Thank you.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Difficulty in Crawl is hard to really pin down. Personally, I think the game is harder but in a different way than it used to be. The development focus has shifted away from difficulty in the form of tricks that require prior knowledge to play around. Stuff like item destruction made the game harder in general, but experienced players knew ways to work around it. The old traps & door skill was something a new player would ignore and get punished for, while a veteran would sink the exact amount of points into it and never be bothered by traps. Its hard to really explain this but basically I think there's less difficulty in the form of tricks and traps, but more in terms of actual dangers posed to the player.

Corrosion is probably the best example of this. Old corrosion was annoying and did permanent damage, but veteran players took the proper precautions to avoid being maligned by it. For them, corrosion was barely ever relevant. New corrosion doesn't do permanent damage but its WAY more deadly. Even with the relevant resistance, it can be a huge threat. So the change too corrosion made the game more difficult overall.

There's also the fact that a lot of monsters are more dangerous nowadays than they were in old versions. To continue with the corrosion example, the addition of entropy weavers made acid way more relevant. Those bastards are ridiculously deadly. And even since their addition the mechanics surrounding them have changed to make it even harder to negate what they do. So when I look at something like that, it definitely feels like Crawl is harder.

This is basically what I was going to write out.

What I'll add on is that I feel the developers add things that are interesting to them and agreeable to other devs, while removing things that are troublesome (as in, tedious or brain dead decisions). A lot of these changes end up making Crawl easier or harder (depending on what is being affected), and it mostly balances out near the end. However, sometimes the troublesome thing that is removed is something that many weaker players (as in, people who have zero to a couple wins) needed to be able to figure out and beat the game. Sometimes the interesting thing is a monster that is much more dangerous to those who haven't learned how to deal with that type of monster yet, and they die earlier than they normally do.

I think Crawl is still doing fine balance wise in the end, but the changes for this version may make the game harder for weaker combos/players (even if, in my opinion, they were good changes to be made). It may be worth looking into some of the things Arganzar mentioned, however. I personally think that light vs heavy armor, especially in relation to spellcasting penalties, should be looked into being reworked to either be more meaningful/easier to understand. One approach that I may try to code up is to make Encumbrance similar to shield breakpoints, and just have it be a "Match or exceed this in Strength to eliminate all penalties (dodge, accuracy, spellcasting) for this piece of armor", while cranking the Encumbrance ratings of the heavier armors higher to compensate.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I feel like armor is one of those things that would be very difficult to significantly change (like the hunger system) without unintentionally loving up a bunch of other stuff. As of right now strength and the armour skill contribute to encumbrance penalty in...some arcane way, and making it entirely dependent on one would either hugely devalue strength or make the armour skill useless. One of these may be an acceptable loss, but still.

I wouldn't mind the loss of the armour skill, but it would make melee dudes have even fewer things to put skill exp in. :v:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Having the armour skill just give you more armour (similar to Dodging) isn't inherently a bad idea.

I don't know enough to say if making encumbrance purely a function of str and evp is, though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I never remembered to use delayed fireball even when I memorized it, and this new spell involves more stuff blowing up, so I can't even muster up a joke complaint.

Imagine dropping an Ignition on V5. :getin:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
drat... Ignition would combo really well with Singularity.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Glad this poo poo is over with.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20170208-020936.txt

I mean it wasn't that bad once it got going but I do not have the patience for the tedium of spriggan early game. So much running around because you got hit for half your HP in a single blow. If I ever play one again I'm gonna stick to a stronger start so things suck less.

Oh I have some balance feedback that I'm sure will be ignored but I wanna bring it up anyways; yara's violent unraveling. This spell seems way to situational. I mean, its useful in theory. Its not something you would use often but it can be very useful in the right circumstance. I was really glad I had it memorized when Antaeus chugged a potion of might. I think it has a critical flaw that was kind of overlooked though. It deals damage in an AOE, but what's one of the most common monster buffs? Haste. Which means because they are hasted and moving faster, a lot of the enemies you'd want to use this on are already in your face. SO if you were to target them with the spell you'd be nuking yourself as well.

I'd like to see it changed from a square AOE to a cone that extends behind the target relative to where the caster was. Then it would still hit an AOE but not be worthless against a monster that is in melee range.

Haifisch posted:

I never remembered to use delayed fireball even when I memorized it, and this new spell involves more stuff blowing up, so I can't even muster up a joke complaint.

Imagine dropping an Ignition on V5. :getin:

I did use delayed fireball because it was a free action. Since fireball can't be dodged, it made for a good finisher. Useful versus pests like tormentors and neqocxefmajksdms.

However it definitely wasn't a super interesting spell and ignition sounds way more fun so I can't care about it being gone. I think it could return as a reflavored charms/conjuration spell though. That said I can't see ignition getting into the game the way it is as it seems disgustingly strong. The fact that it doesn't affect you or your allies is crazy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 8, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I assume it doesn't affect you or allies so that it's actually viable against packs(where you'll inevitably have something close enough to explode on you by the time you see most of the pack & have them bunched up).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now you can worship Vehumet and Qazlal at the same time!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ignition seems good. It's not chain lightning but it should be nice for the weakness the fire school has, in that after you get fireball there wasn't really any upgrade until firestorm.

e: I also like that it is pure fire instead of fire/conj like every other fire spell.

Darth Windu posted:

All troll apts are terrible but unarmed and necromancy are two of their higher ones, and spellcasting isn't super important because you're only learning necromancy spells, so slow spellslot gain is fine for most of the game unless Kiku is generous and gives you both bolt and death channel.

Especially with Kiku's miscast protection you can run death channel in every fight from lair onwards and still have enough unarmed skill to fight black mambas etc in melee.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I started one after that post and it's going great. I forget that I'm a necromancer most of the time though.
Yeah it's good. You can just claw everything to death like a typical troll except you also have a safety net of undead behind you.

Darox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 8, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All I remember about the time I played TrNe was that I got drained so much I ascended at level 25.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chakan posted:

But they do. No other species has the challenge of playing without potions. Not only benefits are unique, you can have unique challenges too. (See also: Fo stasis)

Chakan posted:

Part of the frustration I have is that all three undead are tedious at best to play. Vampires are the least tedious but blood mangement is always going to be annoying.
I would call vampires the most tedious, none of the others have a mechanic which requires its own page detailing resistances and buffs tied to hunger state which sometimes requires you to leave branches to get more blood or else you won't be able to regenerate HP... ghouls in my opinion aren't tedious at all, eat chunks now and then like everyone else means you never really lose a significant amount of HP. But vampires can get cut for all I care, I got my win purely for greatplayer and am never touching them again.

Unimpressed posted:

Skull.gif: Seriously, how can you say that removing wands of HW and Tele hasn't made the game harder for crappy players like me? It may have been a crutch, but it was a well used crutch, and the 10% increase to the scrolls/potions has certainly not made up for it.
But most games(especially games that end early) you wouldn't find HW/tele wands, while potions are common enough that an increase in them is felt every game, front to back. It may reduce the amount of times you get a big boost but overall, in most games, you're given more of those resources.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

Is it obfuscation that you don't immediately know the location of all monsters on a level when you enter it, or that you don't know which spellbook an orc wizard is using?

Yes, that's obfuscation. There's not a value judgement to the term. Clearly some things SHOULD always be obfuscated so there remain opportunities for surprise and novelty.

I was asked to provide examples of combat stats being obfuscated. What about that example do you take exception to? There are quite a few games where monster HP are shown explicitly, many others in which examination would show a difference between a 60hp and 120hp giant.

quote:

(FWIW, the odds of a monster with 88 avg hp having either 58 or 116 hp is about... uh, anydice just says 0%? 95% of our 88-hp monsters will be between 80 and 96 max hp, and the odds drop off precipitously from there. 99.9% are between 70 and 107 mhp, etc.)

And I as a player would know that....how? :banjo:

(FWIW, I personally think the level of info on monster AC,EV,HP,DMG is Pretty Good right now and my only complaint is there is very little information on accuracy on either side)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

But they do. No other species has the challenge of playing without potions. Not only benefits are unique, you can have unique challenges too. (See also: Fo stasis)
I would call vampires the most tedious, none of the others have a mechanic which requires its own page detailing resistances and buffs tied to hunger state which sometimes requires you to leave branches to get more blood or else you won't be able to regenerate HP... ghouls in my opinion aren't tedious at all, eat chunks now and then like everyone else means you never really lose a significant amount of HP. But vampires can get cut for all I care, I got my win purely for greatplayer and am never touching them again.
But most games(especially games that end early) you wouldn't find HW/tele wands, while potions are common enough that an increase in them is felt every game, front to back. It may reduce the amount of times you get a big boost but overall, in most games, you're given more of those resources.

If the game ends early enough that you won't have a HW wand then odds are you wouldn't have that extra 10% of a HW potion anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't agree with that at all, you didn't usually find HW wands in 3 rune games. By the time you survive long enough to find multiple HW potions you would rarely find a HW wand.

• Locked thread