Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Pvt.Scott posted:

That mould line is murdering my balls.

Mine too. Didn't notice it till it was too late.

I ended up doing a glaze of the yellow GW stuff and it's almost there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As someone who has assembled and painted quite a few tomb kings skeletons, please listen to this very good advice:

don't bother trying to clean up all the mold lines, holy poo poo

For those of you watching at home, please be aware that TK skeletons come in a six pieces. Legs, torso, two arms, a head, plus a shield or a quiver. Each piece has mold lines running right down the bones and you can spend loving forever trying to clean them all, and you still won't get them all.

The way to avoid having them stand out is counterintuitive: don't drybrush. Do a wet highlight pass with a brush instead.

If you do decide to worry about mold lines, focus on the upper surfaces (usually the backs) of the arm bones, and the top of the skull. I spent too many hours with a triangular mini-file working the lines off the rib cages before I realized the arms mostly shade them so they're not as noticeable. You can also hit the lower legs if you want, since they tend to stand out a bit too.

As for sand: course sand will look like rocks and pebbles. You can get very fine sand for quite cheap. https://www.amazon.com/ACTIVA-D%C3%A9cor-Sand-Ounce-White/dp/B003CO81RA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485821460&sr=8-4&keywords=fine+sand
That's enough sand to last a lifetime for $7.75 with free shipping from Prime, if you've got it.

My sand painting recipe keeps changing but currently I start with a light brown and then drybrush with a yellowish white. It's easy to accidentally wind up with a bone color which washes out the skeleton bone color, so try to get a contrast. Alternatively, don't forget that in the real world, sand comes in a lot of real colors, from black through greys and browns to red.
https://www.google.com/search?q=red+sand+desert&tbm=isch
A red sand will contrast nicely with your bleached white bones. I really wish I'd gone with a red sand theme myself, but it's far too late.

If you're gonna stick with course sand, treat it like gravel/rocks and go with stippled greys and browns if you can. That is, do the whole base in one color, and then go back and pick out a few random rocks with a slightly different color.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

For those of you watching at home, please be aware that TK skeletons come in a six pieces. Legs, torso, two arms, a head, plus a shield or a quiver. Each piece has mold lines running right down the bones and you can spend loving forever trying to clean them all, and you still won't get them all.

I remember putting together the Ye Olde Skeleton Warriors kit and I'm pretty sure the legs were even separate pieces, so like, 2 arms, 2 legs, torso, skull, weapon and then shield

Good times

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Moola posted:

I remember putting together the Ye Olde Skeleton Warriors kit and I'm pretty sure the legs were even separate pieces, so like, 2 arms, 2 legs, torso, skull, weapon and then shield

Good times

Sure, but you could do rockin yoga poses and junk

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

SUPER GOOD ADVICE
My sand painting recipe keeps changing but currently I start with a light brown and then drybrush with a yellowish white. It's easy to accidentally wind up with a bone color which washes out the skeleton bone color, so try to get a contrast. Alternatively, don't forget that in the real world, sand comes in a lot of real colors, from black through greys and browns to red.
https://www.google.com/search?q=red+sand+desert&tbm=isch
A red sand will contrast nicely with your bleached white bones. I really wish I'd gone with a red sand theme myself, but it's far too late.

If you're gonna stick with course sand, treat it like gravel/rocks and go with stippled greys and browns if you can. That is, do the whole base in one color, and then go back and pick out a few random rocks with a slightly different color.

After more careful consideration, and realizing that I'd based about 30 guys the other day, I'm going to be sticking with the coarser grain sand seen here.

That being said, I love the idea of a red sand. Where I come from has red sandy beaches and I hadn't thought about replicating it. Feel like it could give a great contrast to the blues, purples and pinks I'm using as my accent colours.

Any suggestions on paint choices? I'm limited locally to the GW line.

Thanks a ton dudes!

Ps. Still going to pick up that sandy paste for another project.

Tommmmm
Jan 1, 2012

TKIY posted:

Okay so in Scroll Builder, I can add the Treemen/Durthu as a leader if I choose the Sylvaneth faction, but then no Glade Riders/Guard in the battleline units. If I choose Wood Elves, I can use the Elves, but then no Treemen.

Is there another faction that joins them all?

You can choose Grand Alliance: Order, but you'll lose access to the trees and artifacts. Consider using the Gnarlroot or Winterleaf Wargrove Battalions in the Sylvaneth Alliance. If you fullfil the battalion requirements you can take an Order wizard with Gnarlroot, or an Order unit with Winterleaf. Sisters of the Thorn are a common pick here and thier spell interacts well with 20-30 dryads. You then want to pick up another wizard to get Mystic Shield to further increase thier save. Take a Treelord Ancient as your General for his command ability and spells.

Whilst this combo won't win you the game every time, it gives you a solid core to build options around. You may need to pickup a unit of Tree Revenants and a Branchwych in future as they're used a lot (beside being mandatory for Gnarlroot).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Moola posted:

Good times

The kit before the last, the legs and hips were one piece, but yeah everything else was separate.

I really liked those skeletons even if they were too big to fit into the skin of the other humans on the table.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

I've been mixing in the vampire skeleton kits a bit and I find I like the older proportions more. Feel a bit more stout and have a great cartoon vibe to them compared to the new sculpts. New ones just feel a too frail in comparison.

The smaller new skeletons do look super funny with the older heads. Kind of like bobble heads, or skeleton babies.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tommmmm posted:

You can choose Grand Alliance: Order, but you'll lose access to the trees and artifacts. Consider using the Gnarlroot or Winterleaf Wargrove Battalions in the Sylvaneth Alliance. If you fullfil the battalion requirements you can take an Order wizard with Gnarlroot, or an Order unit with Winterleaf. Sisters of the Thorn are a common pick here and thier spell interacts well with 20-30 dryads. You then want to pick up another wizard to get Mystic Shield to further increase thier save. Take a Treelord Ancient as your General for his command ability and spells.

Whilst this combo won't win you the game every time, it gives you a solid core to build options around. You may need to pickup a unit of Tree Revenants and a Branchwych in future as they're used a lot (beside being mandatory for Gnarlroot).

I'm leaning towards the Flesh Eaters right now anyhow. It's odd with these tiny little factions though, really only 4 or 5 units to choose from.

AoS is... unsettling?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Horace-Noah posted:

After more careful consideration, and realizing that I'd based about 30 guys the other day, I'm going to be sticking with the coarser grain sand seen here.

That being said, I love the idea of a red sand. Where I come from has red sandy beaches and I hadn't thought about replicating it. Feel like it could give a great contrast to the blues, purples and pinks I'm using as my accent colours.

Any suggestions on paint choices? I'm limited locally to the GW line.

No, sorry, I haven't bought new GW paint in decades, with one exception (I bought a couple pots of ink back in ~2010ish).

When I do my sand bases, I start with thinned PVA glue (Elmer's, etc.) to stick the sand down with, and then just paint the surface. Gluing down the sand using lots of paint does work, but it wastes a lot of paint, and if you're blowing money on GW's ridiculously expensive paint you really shouldn't waste any of it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Radish posted:

The kit before the last, the legs and hips were one piece, but yeah everything else was separate.

I really liked those skeletons even if they were too big to fit into the skin of the other humans on the table.

If they had been actual scaleton, 2/3 of them never would have hit the table due to snapped bones.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've been looking at this game cause I really want to paint some undead dudes, and the start collecting boxes for skeleton horde and malignants are both appealing. World those plus the elite orks (ironclawz???) box make for a decent set of models to set up 2p games with? My friends would probably be into this if I provided some models.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 1, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Pretty much, the Start Collecting boxes are generally balanced to play against each other so one box against another is a good matchup.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Are there war scrolls for any of the old Empire models? I don't see them in any of the newer stuff.

e: I guess I found them https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-the-empire-en.pdf

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 2, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Are there war scrolls for any of the old Empire models? I don't see them in any of the newer stuff.
Hope you like comparing mustaches and riding imaginary horses.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-the-empire-en.pdf

Edit:
Seriously though, I think they're called the Freeguilds or Free People now or something.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 2, 2017

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
For empire you'd want to use the scrolls from the App or the Order book. They changed a lot of it from the PDF versions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

If they had been actual scaleton, 2/3 of them never would have hit the table due to snapped bones.

Yeah I agree and liked them a bunch but some people really couldn't get over their scale for some reason and had to point it out constantly.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Black_Nexus posted:

For empire you'd want to use the scrolls from the App or the Order book. They changed a lot of it from the PDF versions.

They don't update the PDFs when they change the unit rules?

:psyduck:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TKIY posted:

They don't update the PDFs when they change the unit rules?

:psyduck:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Did anything change aside from names of units? I thought they were pretty much copy/paste jobs. I've been using both the app and printouts and I don't think I've noticed any discrepancies between the two aside from calling them Freeguild Guard instead of State Troops and such.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

The PDFs in the compendiums aren't updated because they're either a) for stuff that isn't supported any more or b) replaced by a new unit name.

If you want the newest warscrolls for any individual unit you can get 'em from that unit's page on the webstore.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Empire Handgunners have been discontinued. Check out our new* Eympyreal Doomvolley Powderbound Thundarrstickaz.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
A buddy of mine put out a great battle report for Age of Sigmar, done up like a classic WD report, maps and all:
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/2017/01/artifacts-of-power-battle-report.html#more

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Still too lazy to make a lightbox, but I painted a rat ogre

I tried to use a color triad instead of washes on the skin and it turned out to mixed results. Reaper Rosy skin is kinda chalky and I'm not sure what to do about it. Tried to drybrush the fur but I think the highlight was too close to the fur. Overall pretty satisfied with what I was trying. I wanted the back scars to look fresh and wet in comparison to the stitching, and while I could stand to clean up the stitches, I'm pretty happy with the back.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

SRM posted:

A buddy of mine put out a great battle report for Age of Sigmar, done up like a classic WD report, maps and all:
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/2017/01/artifacts-of-power-battle-report.html#more

This is cool and good and I like it.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

SRM posted:

This is awesome and they should do many more

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Finally got my army completed and played my first "real" game of AoS this weekend. I commissioned the painting of the army through a friend and then I did all the basing myself. Overall I am happy with the way he interpreted my "Tzeentch" themed Chaos army. I have a ton of demons to add to the army as well, but I want to rebase them from the current bases I use for 40k.

Here are some of the pictures.

My buddy Josh (left) and myself for a pre-game selfie (no one was around to take the white dwarf handshake picture).

Table a little light on terrain. Josh is painting up his forests still and most of his army though he is going quick. Most of my terrain is 40k based so I need to invest a little.

My rolls were terrible but even so - that tree with the 2+ rerollable save was a beast. I couldn't drag it down even with weight of attacks. Next time its mortal wounds....

Here is what I have for my army so far. Mainly Warriors and Knights. I bought the whole thing basically around Archaon. I'm picking up some Varanguard next.

Takeaways from the game:

I loved the game. It played quickly and didn't have a lot of the baggage that 40k Currently has. 40k is absolutely my first love, but you don't even realize just how slow it has gotten until you step outside of that arena. The game played very smooth and by the time I was 2 rounds into it, I needed hardly any more explanation. I keep telling people it is deeper than the 4 pages of rules would imply. "Easy to learn, difficult to master" sums it up nicely.

For sure we are going to keep growing this. We are already talking about a campaign (though I don't know where I will find the time). I am looking at units that I am going to add already.

Let me say that I NEVER was going to get into Warhammer Fantasy. I don't care for the blocks of units and movement trays. I understand others do - but for me it never clicked. So I am one of those people that has bought into AoS but wouldn't have ever played Warhammer Fantasy.

I do find the background to be a bit dull though - especially in comparison to the Old World setting. So I'm sad to see that go.

Great, fun game. I'll keep playing.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Those cloaks are amazing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Takeaways from the game:

I loved the game. It played quickly and didn't have a lot of the baggage that 40k Currently has. 40k is absolutely my first love, but you don't even realize just how slow it has gotten until you step outside of that arena. The game played very smooth and by the time I was 2 rounds into it, I needed hardly any more explanation. I keep telling people it is deeper than the 4 pages of rules would imply. "Easy to learn, difficult to master" sums it up nicely.

For sure we are going to keep growing this. We are already talking about a campaign (though I don't know where I will find the time). I am looking at units that I am going to add already.

Let me say that I NEVER was going to get into Warhammer Fantasy. I don't care for the blocks of units and movement trays. I understand others do - but for me it never clicked. So I am one of those people that has bought into AoS but wouldn't have ever played Warhammer Fantasy.

I do find the background to be a bit dull though - especially in comparison to the Old World setting. So I'm sad to see that go.

This is pretty much exactly my position too, right down to "I'm not gonna get into WHFB" to "Okay I'll give AoS a shot" to "oh the Old World was pretty cool wasn't it"
Just treat it like a historical wargame and you're set to have a good time!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Son had a snow day so I wasn't able to go to work today. Instead, I painted a Lord Veritant:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That is a sick base.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
So the latest version of a fan made skirmish/campaign ruleset called Hinterlands came out a few days ago and it caught on like a wildfire in my local meta so I'll drop a link for it here as well.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4845563/Zandronum/Hinterlands%202.0.pdf

If someone had told me a year ago that the game I most looked forward to playing in the week was AoS I would have laughed in your face but here I am. 2017 is turning out to be a really weird year.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ghost Hand posted:

Those look great and it's real cool to see it on the table after little updates on the podcast. That painter is deff real good at blue!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Comrade Merf posted:

So the latest version of a fan made skirmish/campaign ruleset called Hinterlands came out a few days ago and it caught on like a wildfire in my local meta so I'll drop a link for it here as well.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4845563/Zandronum/Hinterlands%202.0.pdf

If someone had told me a year ago that the game I most looked forward to playing in the week was AoS I would have laughed in your face but here I am. 2017 is turning out to be a really weird year.

This is cool, thanks

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
GW's being pretty transparent about the second General's Handbook, and they're playtesting some of the changes at an event soon:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/07/the-generals-handbook-ii-wip-points-sneak-peek/

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've never played AoS but it makes me so glad that they're doing this.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SRM posted:

GW's being pretty transparent about the second General's Handbook, and they're playtesting some of the changes at an event soon:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/07/the-generals-handbook-ii-wip-points-sneak-peek/

It's good to see Fyreslayers getting cheaper.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

It's good to see Fyreslayers getting cheaper.

If their points cost goes down that means the price per model goes down too, right?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SRM posted:

It's cool to see them finally doing something like yearly updates across the line. Now if they just make a new Mordheim-style skirmish campaign game using the existing Age of Sigmar models a la Silver Tower, I think I will be convinced they have mostly removed the pants from their head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Battle report! Tonight I played two matched play games against a friend's minotaur list.

First game was Escalation. I fielded 10 retributors, 2 units of judicators, and a vexillor. He had 3 units of bulls, 1 doombull, and 1 gorgon. In this mission there are 3 objectives diagonally distributed. Territories are diagonal. 1/3rd your list starts on the board and the rest come in on turn 2 along any board edge you control.

Turn 1: I began the game with judicators on the field and he had the gorgon and a unit of bulls. His gorgon advanced toward the middle objective and the bulls towards the top field objective. I lined up shots on both units. I probably should have focused the gorgon, but splitting fire worked out in the long run.

Turn 2: He brought his other units onto the board and advanced in force toward the top objective. The gorgon failed a charge on my archers (it was a long charge attempt) and so didn't manage to score the middle. He scored the top. My units all came on during the command phase and I used the Vexillor's power to teleport the Retributors behind his mass of bulls. On the charge I wiped out a squad of bulls and the doom bull.

Turn 3: He counter charged wiping out the Retributors. I proceeded to whittle down the Gorgon, but only killed it on turn 5. This let Mark maximize his scoring and in the final turn I wasn't able to shoot the last bull to table him. He ended up beating me on points 8 to 7 for a major victory.

His last guy on the top objective. He has 1 wound left:

Final layout of my guys. The vexillor has infinite range for his teleport ability, so he sat on the bottom objective racking up points.

In game one I did a lot of kiting with the judicators, so his bulls weren't really able to get much done.

=

Game two was Take and Hold. This time I played a gimmick list that was awful. I had 3 units of prosecutors, 10 liberators, 5 retributors, and lord celestant with a battalion. Due to some last minute adjustments we chose to let me play with only 1 battleline unit and 100 points under but with a triumph to make up the point difference. So this was more of a fun "let's try this crazy long range charge" rather than an actual competitive game. I wanted to try and pull off a turn 1 alpha strike, which I did, but the Liberators have no real hitting power so it was more about me being able to say I did it than actually to accomplish anything. Now I won't be tempted to make this list again. In this mission the goal is to control two objectives, one on each side of the map. If you have 5 models in range and the opponent has 0 you control it. If you control both you instantly win.

Turn 1: I alpha strike my liberators. I accomplished this by running a group of Prosecutors forward and then used a battalion ability to teleport the Liberators within 5" of them as their movement. Then the Liberators made the 9" charge to get into combat. This isn't that great as they had poor frontage which limited their attacks. Liberators are not really meant to be a damaging unit, they work better as a meat shield. Although these guys are wearing different equipment they were counts-as a single unit of warblades.

During the assault he wiped out the Liberators. The Gorgon had taken 2 wounds, but healed both after eating some of the Liberators.

Turn 2 & 3: Mark made a set of amazing long distance charges and caught my commander. The commander retreated with 2 wounds left, the retributors advanced and a larger battle begin on the left side of the board. Unfortunately by this time I was down to only one unit of prosecutors left after the ones that helped slingshot the Liberator alpha strike were easily picked off.

Turn 4: I only had 1 unit of prosecutors left so the game was unwinnable for me. I charged to die in a blaze of glory. Beef wins over chicken in the final duel.

The Take and Hold mission is hard for Stormcasts at any point value, but almost unwinnable at 1000 because of the 5 models to control requirement. Escalation only requires more models than the opponent and so works better for elite low model lists. Both games hinged on basically two major areas of battle. The first game was epic, I was so close to winning but just couldn't prevent the last bull from scoring.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 8, 2017

• Locked thread