Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Finally managed to see the last episodes of Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!'s first episodes. Clearly some of the best episodes of the series so far! Mad Cap brought back Velma's fear of clowns from a previous series (What's New, I believe), I Scooby Dooby Do is an awesome episode for Shaggy, with another instance of him losing his appetite because he's trying to genuinely solve the mystery and getting to do the recap at the end, El Bandito has the funniest Shaggy and Scooby's make-believe sequence yet, as well as a ridiculous "thing" for Daphne that ends in the most fitting way complete with an appropriate reaction by Fred, Norse Way has the bear and the finale gives us another hilarious make-believe by Shaggy and Scooby, a funny hobby for Daphne and the most adequate villainous reaction at the end of the episode (a simple scream of impotent rage as the bad guy realizes he's been fooled).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm amped up for Samurai Jack season 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrv_n4tw7w

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Closure never looked so good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It looks pretty good, but the show is really going to be missing something with Aku dead.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Trash Boat posted:

^ You misread. Glam rock hamhock was calling the other short the animator did that got picked up derivative of Adventure Time, while citing the linked video as the more unique and interesting one.

Yeah, I was saying I like her previous stuff more and while the new thing is cute and funny, it's not as interesting. Here are clips from the actual thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwzE0U_bU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-X6SEDtQ1M

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

paradoxGentleman posted:

I thought bronies were what allowed MLP to flourish? By watching it religiously and buying merchandise out of the wazoo?

It sure as poo poo bit the Hub in the rear end when it just became MLP channel and almost nothing else. They shriveled up and died because they got their sponge bob too soon - well that and the writer or artist that died in a car crash killed all the ideas that could have been used in GI Joe or Transformers. Stupid levels of success or unprecedented high levels of attention can be worse than failure, especially now if Zootopia 2/TV show tried to talk about Tribalism in the America of right now. I don't think Disney could sweet talk its way out of controversy if they upset a particular group of people. But maybe that won't matter depending on how Boss Baby does.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

I predict that the Scotsman's progeny will be characters.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

if you like the trailer music you can check out the rest of Carpenter Brut's discography here

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The latest episode of Star Vs was solid. It leans into the blurred line between Mewmans and Monsters and Star's character has clearly changed from the events in the episode prior.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I very much wager that they'll keep Aku on the DL just because Mako is dead and anyone trying to emulate Aku might be less than well received to the fans without due preparation or adjustment.

There's blood! Surprising since they did all they could to show it without ever showing it before. It'll definitely be interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd imagine they'd just get Greg Baldwin to do it, having already replaced Mako as Iroh from Avatar, Splinter during the production of the 2007 Ninja Turtles movie, and even as Aku in that old FusionFall game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DoubleCakes posted:

The latest episode of Star Vs was solid. It leans into the blurred line between Mewmans and Monsters and Star's character has clearly changed from the events in the episode prior.

Is Bon Bon The Birthday Clown still the latest or have the newest ones not gone up yet?

Also I loved the one where Glossaryck is seperated from Star by bureaucracy, just for the sequence when after literally everything in the building is out of order, including the stairs, his temper flares so far that his innate magic explodes. As the poor guard is protesting pointing to the "NO Magic in the building" sign, the sign burst into flame and the entire bottom floor rockets up the tower basically destroying all the decorative poo poo and he just unloads on the queen for her lack of trust. That and Spider with a Top Hat are probably my favourite episodes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Looks like it's going to be more PG-13, which feels a bit weird after the first show went to lengths to make sure all the violence was robo-violence, to the point of self parody. Not that my enthusiasm is diminished, or anything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

New Gumball! This is the one making fun of the Chinese Gumball rip-off Miracle Star.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I feel like watching these T Mobile ads with Kristen Schaal in it will ruin Gravity Falls for me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Waffleman_ posted:

New Gumball! This is the one making fun of the Chinese Gumball rip-off Miracle Star.

It was pretty ballsy of Gumball to not only make a joke about Chinese girls being aborted but also make it a central plot point of the episode :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Moon Monster posted:

Looks like it's going to be more PG-13, which feels a bit weird after the first show went to lengths to make sure all the violence was robo-violence, to the point of self parody. Not that my enthusiasm is diminished, or anything.

It's gonna be on Adult Swim.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Gumball episode was bananas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like we should probably have a Gumball thread by now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd imagine they'd just get Greg Baldwin to do it, having already replaced Mako as Iroh from Avatar, Splinter during the production of the 2007 Ninja Turtles movie, and even as Aku in that old FusionFall game.

It still could be a touchy subject, one that can easily be solved by not over using Aku. Save him towards near whatever ending this is going down, build him up to where we want to find him and settle this poo poo once and for all. And since this is like 50 years after the last season, you could easily have it to where Aku is sort of "dead". A confrontation occurred, Jack struck him, the Master of Darkness disappeared and nothing changed for the next 50 years. No portal to the past, no betterment of all the people still enslaved under Aku.

poo poo, Aku is probably inside of Jack seeing as the Samurai hasn't aged apparently.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 7, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Anyone else notice how Jack doesn't have his sword in that trailer?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i hope jack makes it to the past in spite of what the guardian showed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

Anyone else notice how Jack doesn't have his sword in that trailer?

He's got that yoppa now

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jack's back.

Time to let it-wrong Jack, though yeah I hope the new platform(Adult Swim) doesnt mean they go too crazy with their new freedom/less s&p, sometimes being a "kids show" can be a good thing since it forces you to work around restrictions.

Like its why DCAU is better than the those darker EDGE DC original animated movies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

They've got somebody, that's for sure, they just haven't said who. Here's this interview/feature from last year where Tartakovsky talks about it and stuff like trying to juggle going darker but not going edgy for edgy's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT6yhhfiUh8

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the sticky subject of lore versus funny, I personally feel that Phineas and Ferb hit the best balance - it had the episodic thing, but some of the episodes meant something in the long run in a way that didn't affect the status quo, but recontextualised it.

For example, we don't need to know why Phineas and Ferb became obsessed with building ludicrous contraptions, because we know why they are - it is a compulsion. They need to build elaborate stuff, to break physics in every way they can it's an itch that they need to scratch. They aren't Henry Ford, they are Henry Jeckyll. They just happen to have an obsession that results in a net gain for their community, so instead of being pariahs they are folk heroes. This is best illustrated in the episode where Baljeet breaks up with Beauford and decides to climb a mountain, and the movie wherein they attempt to make a day last longer than 24 hours by chasing the sun.

When in a position where his inventions aren't needed in the former as Baljeet leads the expedition and easily conquers every obstacle due to his newfound confidence, or when they are unavailable in the latter due to being trapped on a desert island with no materials, Phineas completely breaks down. The series isn't telling us that the boys need to invent, it is showing that they do by showing the affect that an inability to invent has on them.

Another aspect in which the series shows instead of telling, is in Perry the Platypus's major flaw - he is actually a bad secret agent because he lets his cover get in the way of national security. Whenever the family, or friends of them, get involved with Doofenshmirtz Perry completely freezes up. When Beauford becomes his pet bully Perry is stuck in the rafters trying not to be seen, and in the other movie when Phineas and Ferb are helping him to rebuild his invention out of guilt, Perry again freezes, completely afraid to blow his cover, which Phineas, deservedly, snaps at him for. Especially because the scientist himself is the one who mentions to them that he is evil, not Perry. Perry completely fails not only to apprehend his villain but also to protect his wards from them through this inability to distance himself.

There are other examples as well involving Doof's warring backstories that are simultaneously amusing and depressing, ridiculous and informative. He was abused so badly by his family in a variety of ludicrous ways that a family of Ocelots, of which the mother was constantly mauling him, actually felt more like home than his terrible father and mother, to the extent that in the spinoff shorts he is allowed to join OWCA due to being legally considered to be an ocelot. Even the rest of the world saw his parents and his rear end in a top hat brother, and basically awarded custody of him to the Ocelots. This is all in the text of the show, but through expertly executed usage of mostly showing, while telling where it was funnier.

Finally we even see the boy's increasing affect on the city - Vanessa hires them to put of her halloween party because of their reputation and by the end of the show it mentions a device on the city hall of their own design that keeps away wild predators - Their inventions are beginning to last longer.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs premieres in March with a month-long bomb.

oh so they're burning the show off in a month? :v:

(gonna check it out, see if its good)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm officially adding Gumball to my list of children's shows that are actually made better by adding songs to them rather than infinitely worse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O1U3scKTNqI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Holy poo poo that VA change at the end of yesterday's episode was for real, Jesus.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo that VA change at the end of yesterday's episode was for real, Jesus.
Did they change the VAs for Gumball and Darwin again? That's like the second set of kids that have puberty'd the gently caress out of the role, right?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Third set

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
There's something deeply disturbing about canonically unaging characters being voiced by more children as the previous ones grow too old for their roles. Something about mortality maybe?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Waffleman_ posted:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs premieres in March with a month-long bomb.

Huh, cool. Will check that out. Hotel Transylvania (Tv series) kind of has a similar vein of style and animation, although a bit more squish-squashy and a poo poo ton of fun hand drawn smears. Hotel T is still going through heavy production, but I'm really loving the characters I got to animate so far. Dunno when the client plans to release it on TV, but I'll let you guys know if anything new comes up for public!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Megaspel posted:

There's something deeply disturbing about canonically unaging characters being voiced by more children as the previous ones grow too old for their roles. Something about mortality maybe?

After the last episode airs they should immediately redub it with the original VAs so we can hear the difference. I'd love to listen to the two side by side.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Yeah, that's typically why you have adult women voicing young boys in a lot of cartoons as otherwise unless you plan on aging the character in real-time eventually the kid's going to hit puberty and not be able to do the voice anymore (not sure why they don't just do that in this show instead of constantly changing the cast around to be honest, they do at least acknowledge it in-show though which is neat).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 8, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really like that this show points it out and even runs with it. It's something that would get old if too many shows did it, but Gumball just owning and running with it is really fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it feels like when the Doctor regenerates at this point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It goes to show how versatile an actor Zack Callison is - even at 16 or 17 years old, he can still do Steven Universe's childlike voice without problems, despite his voice breaking years ago.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If anything, I feel like his younger self made Steven have a deeper voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

While watching the new Gumball episodes, I noticed that I missed one from last year that was about not-Tindr

oh my god, oh my god this show.