Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

ElMaligno posted:

because she is the only drunk female character

Also when Cio and 82 explain history, there's a demiurge involved in the Second Conquest who looks a hell of a lot like a younger Maya
and Meti, who trained her, was in the Middle Army
and Maya's childhood was back when the Red City was open and the society of demiurges existed
and we know Maya was once the conqueror of 20,000 worlds

All in all there's been plenty of speculation that she was a demiurge, so this isn't a hugely shocking discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Huh. Worth noting that Maya's red ley-stone matches those of Inky's victims.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Gutter Owl posted:

incubus' key was probably hers originally, stands to reason they're the same color

e: nearly baseless speculation: incubus is the sword king of the middle army. perhaps he was originally maya's second and/or husband and was able to get her key that way

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 8, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mazerunner posted:

so she still outdrank an ebon devil, on account of it doesn't matter what the original plan was when the literal text of the comic says he's an ebon

also, dumb fans do not have the power of Royalty and cannot redefine reality, as amusing as that'd be,. If Abb didn't want vlad to be ebon then he wouldn't be

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. In the comic as it is now, Allison did out drink an ebon devil. In the first panel but the devil currently known as Princess appears in, he was (a dull) crimson devil, and Abbadon did say that some reader's misjudging it's color influenced his decision to change that.

Both those things are true.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Allison outdrank an ebon devil and it was awesome.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

A throne on a pile of gold cups can't possibly be steady. I'd say it's about ready to....

...topple.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like how the 7 god-rulers of the universe still behave like kids on a playground.

'haha, Incubus isn't a real Demiurge! '

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also when Cio and 82 explain history, there's a demiurge involved in the Second Conquest who looks a hell of a lot like a younger Maya
and Meti, who trained her, was in the Middle Army
and Maya's childhood was back when the Red City was open and the society of demiurges existed
and we know Maya was once the conqueror of 20,000 worlds

All in all there's been plenty of speculation that she was a demiurge, so this isn't a hugely shocking discovery.

I think it's also because she's fat, washed up, and habitually drunk, too.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Every good guy is getting paired with a bad guy

Allison - First Lady who turned that guy into a tree
Cio - dragon bank man
Auntie - Incubus
Angel - Juggs
New scholar girl - ?
Vladok - ?

and so on. Though Juggs is likely going to switch sides by the end. When the final battle lines are drawn, every character will have a specific, personal stake with a character on the other side.

It makes me think the ending is going to be pretty messy, with neither side really winning. A broken universe of losers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. In the comic as it is now, Allison did out drink an ebon devil. In the first panel but the devil currently known as Princess appears in, he was (a dull) crimson devil, and Abbadon did say that some reader's misjudging it's color influenced his decision to change that.

Both those things are true.

well, wasn't so much arguing against you but hypocrisy's comment that started it was that Allison didn't outdrink an ebon devil, which is untrue of course.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

White Coke
May 29, 2015

President Ark posted:

incubus' key was probably hers originally, stands to reason they're the same color

e: nearly baseless speculation: incubus is the sword king of the middle army. perhaps he was originally maya's second and/or husband and was able to get her key that way

I think he had his own key, it'd make him more bitter if he had earned his power himself but didn't get recognition from the others. I still like the theory that Maya sold her key to Mammon and checked out, wasting all of her money on booze and noodles.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I knew lovely, Rapey Tuxedo Mask was secretly a scrub :allears:
Maya gonna come back and bust your whole cosmic crack joint

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Funny how Incubus' crown/halo has only appeared in dreams so far.

ElMaligno posted:

because she is the only drunk female character

Has it ever been established that Meti is out of the game?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Incubus confirmed for not nearly as clever as he thinks he is

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i hope that lady in the back is just sleeping :ohdear:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Funny how Incubus' crown/halo has only appeared in dreams so far.

Has it ever been established that Meti is out of the game?

The sword manual suggests that after she finished writing it she decided to go die by "drowning in the boiling gore of her enemies". Whether or not she succeeded is up in the air but the manual seems to have been a last testament thing so she is likely dead.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

Ley-stones are all red. Cio has one too. So do a ton of the other people we've seen, including most of Jadis's retinue. Unlike fragments of the Key of Kings, ley-stones don't come in special colors; red is just how they look.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sam Sanskrit posted:

The sword manual suggests that after she finished writing it she decided to go die by "drowning in the boiling gore of her enemies". Whether or not she succeeded is up in the air but the manual seems to have been a last testament thing so she is likely dead.

Also while Meti was indeed drunk she was not fat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So now I wonder why Maya seems to want Allison's stone. It's not like she can destroy the thing. Hell, assuming she doesn't use it then does she even have a use for it outside of attracting greater and greater contenders to slaughter?

The places the Demiurges have built for themselves are clearly ironically self-imposed traps. Mottom is shackled to the need to be glorious and her retainers wanting her to be their glorious ruler. Incubus to this charnel kingdom of perpetually wanting could-have-beens and his own need to be recognized. Each of them simultaneously consumes lives to fuel what they wish they could be and what they hate that they actually are. And who knows what the others like Jadis and Solomon are really like behind all that power? From what we've glimpsed of them they probably aren't exactly happy people.

Did Maya truly walk away from all that power? Or was she cast out by Incubus? Or did she just take a (not so convincing to the demiurges) dive and leave? Those wounds on Incubus have to come from somewhere, after all.

Going off of Metis's supposed last act then if Maya is responsible for those charnel lakes though...Well, holy poo poo. It's no wonder that she can wreck a corrupted angel with nothing but her bare hands and an enigmatically smug comment. She's definitely following through on Metis's example in that regard. Probably exceeded it too, since if she's responsible for the blood lakes we saw then she was too hardcore for even that to kill her. Maybe that was the point when she realized that all that power was all for nothing given what she was?

Either way, holy poo poo the author is good at crafting a story. I didn't expect to see something this crazy and in-depth out of a web comic.

Edit: At least we probably have a good idea of why the balance of power is hosed up between the demiurges now. If Maya was the original holder of that world and army and it's been wrecked by whatever she did (Killing her army and walking off?) then there's a serious deficiency in capability in one of the major armies that hold Jagganoth back.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 8, 2017

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

and i was like "drat"

i'd make a K6BD-esque ultimate hustler post but i'm not clever enough

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

What is even Incubus' deal with having a small mountain of goblets around his throne

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wonder if those accumulated when Maya (or whomever but Maya) was around. She does appear to like her wine.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bilirubin posted:

Wonder if those accumulated when Maya (or whomever but Maya) was around. She does appear to like her wine.

Maybe they're from Maya's last army? Or her time in power? Or maybe they're just spoils of war from the leaders of all the worlds she conquered? It's impossible to say at this point, really. We don't know, barring some lore nerd discovering something on the setting.

On that note, i'm getting a bit of a vampiric vibe off of those retainers of Incubus. Do we know how they function? They scream for "More!" in a pit of blood and charnel waste, have gaunt and stricken appearances like some classic types of vampires, and there appear to be people strung up everywhere in the place that are bleeding out for no immediately apparent reason. On top of that Incubus smugly states that they will get more soon before plotting to have a "reckoning" with the other demiurges. Which would definitely be one way to sate their urges, assuming they don't mean more as in a hunger for power.

Even in the unaltered portion of that edit up above you can see hints to what I mean. Next to the woman wearing the same outfit from the council meeting is a cooking cauldron full of blood. There's even a serving ladle sticking out of the cauldron that you can see if you zoom in closely. There's a blood trail to the left of the cauldron that leads to her too, despite there being no evident wounds on her. Though maybe that's just because it's a background detail.

Turning all those wannabe heroes into blood junkies would certainly be one way to rebuild Maya's army and ensure that they have dedication to doing their job.

Regardless, Allison's trip to this place is going to be fun. And she thought Mottom was bad. Wait until she finds herself in some hell dimension that looks like a cross between Dark Souls and Bloodborne. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 8, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i was practicing the sacred art of division in a peach garden when pree aesma appeared in a flash of terrible lightning and said 'the only thing dividing here is your rear end crack out of your saggy pants' and i tried to focus on reciting the nine billion names of yisun but she went on saying 'and the universe is somewhat wheel shaped' and i was like drat

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 8, 2017

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

i like how incubus' domain is like the demigod version of a bachelor pad whose inhabitant is always out drinking or always on the computer

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Bilirubin posted:

I'm assuming this is the case for now. It's a sign/symbolic of Incubus's feelings of impotence as a demiurge -- whether or not it's his throne now, he can't get rid of the detritus left by his predecessor.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

What is even Incubus' deal with having a small mountain of goblets around his throne

It's foreshadowing the true boss fight off this chapter, just like the teacups from the previous one. "War of the Goblets"

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I got it.

Maya and Incubus used to live/work together. Maya drank all of Incubus' best wine in the multiverse, irreplaceable. After she bounced, he kept trying to find another good vino but nothing was ever the same again.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
To be considered a true Demiurge, one must seize power for yourself. Mottom is considered legitimate because she killed her husband and took his place, even if she didn't do most of the conquering herself.

Maya and Incubus pretty clearly used to work together, using the Middle Army to forge together a realm, and Maya became a Demiurge with Incubus as either her lieutenant or lover. And then I'm guessing that one day Maya just... disappeared. Left the throne vacant, to wander. Incubus took the seat, but he did not earn it.

This explains why, when those unofficial Demiurge "power rankings" came out earlier, Incubus was next to last.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Archonex posted:

And who knows what the others like Jadis and Solomon are really like behind all that power? From what we've glimpsed of them they probably aren't exactly happy people.

I kinda want Solomon to be the exception, and have his immortality come from a strict regimen of carbs, exercise, and impeccable beard care.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, Jadis knows everything after she decided to observe the Wheel from the outside, so apart from being hosed up by that she also has known from Day Zero afterwards that Allison is going to get her killed or kill her directly. Can't imagine that's good for her sanity.

Also interested if the Word that they have attuned to influences their power in any way. Incubus's Word is Flame, and he seems to handle both its aspect of desire and want as well as emulating its divisive nature, what with him making hundreds of emissaries and getting them hooked on ambition.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 8, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Archonex posted:

So now I wonder why Maya seems to want Allison's stone. It's not like she can destroy the thing. Hell, assuming she doesn't use it then does she even have a use for it outside of attracting greater and greater contenders to slaughter?

Turns out k6bd is just an extremely elaborate fanfic of Afro Samurai.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I hope the big reveal for Solomon's that he is a legitimately good dude. No scandal, no bad society, just a blue collar hard working demiurge.

Allison and crew come busting into his house to find.... peace. Serenity. An attendant asking them politely to please leave.

Shortest chapter ever.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

im pretty sure solomon is FAIR and JUST in all caps

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

im pretty sure solomon is FAIR and JUST in all caps

His law is IRON

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Allison and co. meet with Solomon in his ostentatious hell palace and they all have a wonderful dinner together. Afterwards, over coffee, Solomon shows them all photos of his two adult children, a daughter who has transcended the mortal realms and a son who's in working on his master's degree. As they're about to leave, Solomon stops Allison for a moment to give her a piece of advice: it's not about being hell-lord of creation, it's about becoming hell-lord of creation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Schwarzwald posted:

Allison and co. meet with Solomon in his ostentatious hell palace and they all have a wonderful dinner together. Afterwards, over coffee, Solomon shows them all photos of his two adult children, a daughter who has transcended the mortal realms and a son who's in working on his master's degree. As they're about to leave, Solomon stops Allison for a moment to give her a piece of advice: it's not about being hell-lord of creation, it's about becoming hell-lord of creation.

And then she steps on the grass, heedless of the "DO NOT STEP ON GRASS" sign, and Solomon flies into a towering rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Allison meets Solomon and they engage in a smug-off contest. Solomon notices part of her smug comes from borrowing Incubus' power and disqualifies her.

Then they kung-fu fight.