Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
There's actually no bad Twin Peaks episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Meaty Ore posted:

When does the show start to pick up again after the main plot is resolved? I watched the 23rd (I think?) episode and it was the absolute worst. Everything seemed off: the actors seemed to be playing different characters, the dialog was largely meaningless, the "humor" was reduced to cheap gags that were unfunny and went on for way too long, and the resolution to James' road-trip plot was just the dumbest loving thing, dumb as it already had gotten up to that point.

Also Madchen Amick and Peggy Lipton polished a giant ice cream cone for some reason. :what:

About 3 to 4 from the end.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Meaty Ore posted:

When does the show start to pick up again after the main plot is resolved? I watched the 23rd (I think?) episode and it was the absolute worst. Everything seemed off: the actors seemed to be playing different characters, the dialog was largely meaningless, the "humor" was reduced to cheap gags that were unfunny and went on for way too long, and the resolution to James' road-trip plot was just the dumbest loving thing, dumb as it already had gotten up to that point.

Also Madchen Amick and Peggy Lipton polished a giant ice cream cone for some reason. :what:

Straight up skip right to the finale, where David Lynch returns to forcefully reclaim the tone and narrative of the show.

Then you can watch Fire Walk With Me, where the same applies, but moreso.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
You've already seen the worst- just watch everything else. James basically disappears shortly, and any "dumb" side plots have cool mothafuckas like Dick Tremayne.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I think Billy Zane was the worst tbh. I'd rather watch Nadine shotputting highschoolers than that poo poo.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Billy Zane sucked so bad. Ugh. He's almost as bad as James

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Billy Zane is the best and I will tolerate none of this disregarding of him. :colbert:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's kind of interesting how they looked at this show that was such an unexpected hit, took stock of it's situation, and completely doubled down on all the worst parts of the show. But, honestly, I'm not sure what I would have done in their place after the Palmer Murder story line was completed. The network absolutely killed the golden goose by forcing that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you jump to the finale don't you miss Duchovny? And more Lynch acting?

There's some terrible stuff but there is some absolutely gold in there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You'll also miss the introduction of Coop's new love interest, and that plotline sets the finale in motion.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
And Gordon Cole's infatuation with Shelly. "YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT."

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 7, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

You've already seen the worst- just watch everything else. James basically disappears shortly, and any "dumb" side plots have cool mothafuckas like Dick Tremayne.

That character is so loving weird but I love every moment he's on screen.

Cromulent posted:

And Gordon Cole's infatuation with Shelly. "YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT."

Also yeah, THE MORE GORDON COLE THE BETTER.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As pointless as James' side plot in the second half of season 2 is I love it for how completely cheesy soap opera it is.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cromulent posted:

I think that's my favorite moment in the entire show.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Cromulent posted:

This is genuinely the funniest line of the show

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Well I binged straight through season one and am now 5 episodes into two. It's still pretty good! I was afraid the quality would plummet.

This time round I really appreciate Bobby a lot more, and was surprised at how much more obviously childish Audrey comes off as when I'm not watching as a teenager anymore.

Jacoby still owns.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The subplots are so disparate you can easily fast forward through James and some of the other lamer parts and really miss nothing, while still catching the Coop parts and some of the other better subplots.

Anything with Major Briggs is worth watching.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Watch every episode but after the Laura Palmer storyline is wrapped up, fast forward every scene with James, Nadine, or Little Nicky and the show becomes tolerable.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I've been watching this show over the past week or so for the first time (I am a baby) and just finished Arbitrary Law.
Great show, for real. The characters are the best--I'm a huge fan of Major Briggs especially.
I'll probably watch the rest of Season 2 for completeness' sake, and to get to the finale. Would people ITT recommend FWWM generally/think that it'll be "required reading" for Season 3?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

smug n stuff posted:

I'll probably watch the rest of Season 2 for completeness' sake, and to get to the finale. Would people ITT recommend FWWM generally/think that it'll be "required reading" for Season 3?

Yes, no question. There are some returning characters in the new season that are just from the movie, for one thing. Also, it's pretty much unfiltered Lynch insanity without the fetters of network interference, which I suspect is how season 3 is going to be.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, you should take that to mean it's darker and nightmarish, as well.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

smug n stuff posted:

Origami Dali posted:

Yes, no question. There are some returning characters in the new season that are just from the movie, for one thing. Also, it's pretty much unfiltered Lynch insanity without the fetters of network interference, which I suspect is how season 3 is going to be.

"That Maddie Scene" and the final episode of the series are both good thematic lead-ins to what to expect of FWWM. It is way more disturbing than anything in the series, because it didn't need to be held to broadcast TV standards. It also has pretty much none of the quirky humor of the TV show included, it's all just soul crushing. I totally understand why fans of the series back in the day rejected it, but it's great and makes almost every moment of the TV series much more poignant (is that the right word?). I expect the next season to be equally dark, but we'll see. But I also say this as someone who watched FWWM before seeing the TV series.

Unrelated to that, I agree that a lot of the side plots in the later part of Season 2 are crappy, but having watched it way to many times I don't feel like those moments take so much time that you need to actually fast-forward. The James stuff is like a small part of 3 episodes. When he comes on screen, go for a bathroom break or to refill your glass if he bothers you.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Holy gently caress, I just saw the Maddie scene for the first time.

That was horrific.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. It goes places.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. It goes places.

Like MISSOULA, MONTANA!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Now I'm watching Dispute Between Brothers. I don't think I've ever seen a show decline in quality quite so rapidly. This feels like fanfiction. And not even Twin Peaks fanfiction.

I'm still going to power through it all to see the finale, but my god. This is dire.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It even managed to gently caress up the structure.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I'm at pretty much the same spot, and whew, yeah
also, another question for people who know more: I can't stand the "Nadine thinks she's in high school, hah!" scenes, and have been skipping them. Is there anything in there that I'll miss or that'd make them worth viewing?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

regulargonzalez posted:

Watch every episode but after the Laura Palmer storyline is wrapped up, fast forward every scene with James, Nadine, or Little Nicky and the show becomes tolerable.

Christ, I forgot all about that Little Nicky thing. What a waste of time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

smug n stuff posted:

I'm at pretty much the same spot, and whew, yeah
also, another question for people who know more: I can't stand the "Nadine thinks she's in high school, hah!" scenes, and have been skipping them. Is there anything in there that I'll miss or that'd make them worth viewing?

Um, yeah. You're missing some good poo poo. The awkward 4-way exchange of SOs conversation is gold. I really recommend against skipping things on your first watch of the show. Maybe you won't hate it the way others do, but either way at the least then you can make your own choice rather than trusting a bunch of cranky internet people :).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Um, yeah. You're missing some good poo poo. The awkward 4-way exchange of SOs conversation is gold. I really recommend against skipping things on your first watch of the show. Maybe you won't hate it the way others do, but either way at the least then you can make your own choice rather than trusting a bunch of cranky internet people :).

Conversely, skip the entire James subplot after the reveal. It's loving horrific and has nothing to do with the rest of the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't skip anything, jeez, that's not how watching things works

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't skip anything, jeez, that's not how watching things works

Pretty sure it is yeah. You just click next scene once or twice and your twin peaks watching experience improves immensely

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Twin Peaks is the best show on TV which sucks half the time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watch it like my mom watches TV, which is "watch for five minutes then stand up and wander around the house for a while"

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Just pretend that James rode straight into an episode of Invitation to Love.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
So I just started watching the series again before the new season, two episodes or so a week. I'm also watching it with my buddy who's never seen it. Is there a good episode by episode companion piece to read or follow along with in between viewings? I feel like I forget too much and can't answer his questions.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Weasel Riot is the name of my next band

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Captain_Person posted:

Just pretend that James rode straight into an episode of Invitation to Love.

Watching that subplot play itself out, that was all I could think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope the new season is like 70% James riding into new towns each episode on his motorcycle, going through stock noir plotlines.

• Locked thread