Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I watched the Kingsglaive movie I still don't understand what happened in the story but the army uniforms looked cool. Also I see my favorite city is featured yet again in film :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Pigbottom posted:

So, I'm finally getting to play this game tomorrow and I have a question. Do we have a consensus on what might be best, the original japanese or english dub?

A lot of the side chars and no name npcs have not so great English voice acting but the main four and main villain are all at least pretty good and Noct's VA is excellent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alder posted:

I watched the Kingsglaive movie I still don't understand what happened in the story but the army uniforms looked cool. Also I see my favorite city is featured yet again in film :v:

Basically Niflheim and Insomnia are fighting at the beginning and while Niflheim ended up retreating, it wasn't necessarily because they got beat by Insomnia. Old man Lucis knows this and decides to broker a peace with old man Aldercapt. The signing ceremony for the ceasefire or armistice or whatever gets interrupted by insurgents who are naturally on the take from the Nifs but outwardly pro-Insomnia so Aldercapt can use the events as reason to blast the city to smithereens and steal the crystal (that thing they took out via helicopter).

They'd pulled this "give us everything but your capital" trick previously with Tenebrae (Lunafreya's turf) while Noct was a child. Noct was also fully sick and it was Regis who showed up to save him and Luna, but not her shitbird brother. That's why the blonde guy had such a grudge against Regis. Regis saw this coming when he agreed to peace with Niflheim, and sent Noct away the day before.

All the fighting was basically to allow Luna and Seth Rogen to get out of the city. They never fleshed out why it was so important but hey, it was like they stripped out half a game's plot FMVs and strung them together.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 6, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Basically Niflheim and Insomnia are fighting at the beginning and while Niflheim ended up retreating, it wasn't necessarily because they got beat by Insomnia. Old man Lucis knows this and decides to broker a peace with old man Aldercapt. The signing ceremony for the ceasefire or armistice or whatever gets interrupted by insurgents who are naturally on the take from the Nifs but outwardly pro-Insomnia so Aldercapt can use the events as reason to blast the city to smithereens and steal the crystal (that thing they took out via helicopter).

They'd pulled this "give us everything but your capital" trick previously with Tenebrae (Lunafreya's turf) while Noct was a child. Noct was also fully sick and it was Regis who showed up to save him and Luna, but not her shitbird brother. That's why the blonde guy had such a grudge against Regis. Regis saw this coming when he agreed to peace with Niflheim, and sent Noct away the day before.

All the fighting was basically to allow Luna and Seth Rogen to get out of the city. They never fleshed out why it was so important but hey, it was like they stripped out half a game's plot FMVs and strung them together.

Thanks, finally I can connect the remaining parts from the game together and I can still drive the Regalia through the plot holes. Sigh, I'd hope for the DLC to explain more of the story but that might be too optimistic.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Judging from the DLC trailer, at least it seems they will explain more about what Prompto's deal is.

Also, Kingsglaive introduces the ring, and the old kings, and explains why Luna has the ring.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Alder posted:

Oh well, I guess I can't add him to my anime BF collection then :coffee:

It could just be my bizarre sense of humor but I found all the random clothes in the Keep to be hilarious like is every evil miniboss just running around naked?

The one thing that actually was effective is when you get to the last chapter and See the clothes of the staff lying around ruined Galdin Quay, especially Monica in the spot she's always standing in

SylvainMustach posted:

Finally got around to getting a ps4 (for this and P5, and a few other things) and I just

I can definitely understand why some people have criticized the pacing and story. I wont go into specifics there but the pacing feels really all over the place. That being said, I'm still really enjoying it. A lot.

If you are the kinda person that bought a PS4 for 2 JRPGs you should probably look into Nier Automata in March (Demo available) and maybe even Yakuza 0. There's a big chunk of Japan stuff coming out that's all great.

And yeah I think overall while I had some huge, huge issues with this game I liked it enough to Platinum it and even keep playing a bit afterwards

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 6, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I dunno if this has been mentioned yet but for some reason, recently, I've begun thinking about just how much of the population of this planet ends up dead while waiting for the 10 years to pass for Noct (or his ring) to absorb the crystal's power. The beginning of the game and end of Kingsglaive kinda makes you think that Insomnia is still a highly populated mega-city while the rest of the game makes you realize that the next-largest city, Gralea, Niflheim's capitol, is completely devoid of human life. Last we see it, Tenebrae is burning with its populace turning into daemons, Altissia is completely destroyed by Leviathan, and the last bastion of survivors after the 10 years are holed up in Hammerhead and Lestallum leaving Insomnia also a completely devoid-of-life landmass. Considering there are maybe a dozen folks in Hammerhead at max, then Lestallum is now housing everyone who escaped the entirety of the Western continent (if they had enough trains running, let alone even made it across the ocean,) Altissia (which had an evacuation plan ready,) Insomnia (assuming the occupying rulers allowed evacuation upon realizing their government was no longer responding,) and the rest of whoever's left on the (rather sparsely populated) Eastern continent.

In other words, humans are probably pretty close to extinct by the time Noct saves the day. So much so that I wonder how much of the population of Eos is even left compared to, say, the World of Ruin in FF6.

Which is just another reason why I like how much this game calls back to my favorite FF but drat if that isn't some stark poo poo.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 6, 2017

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
I got Gentiana to appear in a photo while doing a hunt in the powerplant.

Everyone was in those identity-hiding hazmat suits though, and either Gentiana gets suited up as well or the photo could have been anyone.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Shazaminator posted:

I got Gentiana to appear in a photo while doing a hunt in the powerplant.

Everyone was in those identity-hiding hazmat suits though, and either Gentiana gets suited up as well or the photo could have been anyone.

I really hope you're right, that would be amazing. :allears:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DaveKap posted:

I dunno if this has been mentioned yet but for some reason, recently, I've begun thinking about just how much of the population of this planet ends up dead while waiting for the 10 years to pass for Noct (or his ring) to absorb the crystal's power. The beginning of the game and end of Kingsglaive kinda makes you think that Insomnia is still a highly populated mega-city while the rest of the game makes you realize that the next-largest city, Gralea, Niflheim's capitol, is completely devoid of human life. Last we see it, Tenebrae is burning with its populace turning into daemons, Altissia is completely destroyed by Leviathan, and the last bastion of survivors after the 10 years are holed up in Hammerhead and Lestallum leaving Insomnia also a completely devoid-of-life landmass. Considering there are maybe a dozen folks in Hammerhead at max, then Lestallum is now housing everyone who escaped the entirety of the Western continent (if they had enough trains running, let alone even made it across the ocean,) Altissia (which had an evacuation plan ready,) Insomnia (assuming the occupying rulers allowed evacuation upon realizing their government was no longer responding,) and the rest of whoever's left on the (rather sparsely populated) Eastern continent.

In other words, humans are probably pretty close to extinct by the time Noct saves the day. So much so that I wonder how much of the population of Eos is even left compared to, say, the World of Ruin in FF6.

Which is just another reason why I like how much this game calls back to my favorite FF but drat if that isn't some stark poo poo.

I got the feeling that there was a bunch of off screen modern cities that weren't magic or magitek that we never visit. Like it didn't seem like it was set up such that skyscrapers were the fantastical part of insomnia for that world.

Like it seemed like "what if the vatican was in tokyo" instead of it being "what if it was the most advanced and modern city on earth and the only one with skyscrapers and cars and stuff"

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 6, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Honestly the game does a really lovely job of showing the huge amount of Insomnian refugees that should be flocking the desert area and Lesallum.

You see Luna, Leonhart and the other soldiers, Iris, the butler and kid ] and that's about it, right? On the other hand, judging from the movie it would have been a small miracle if anyone in the city center survived because drat does it get messed up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Renoistic posted:

Honestly the game does a really lovely job of showing the huge amount of Insomnian refugees that should be flocking the desert area and Lesallum.

You see Luna, Leonhart and the other soldiers, Iris, the butler and kid ] and that's about it, right? On the other hand, judging from the movie it would have been a small miracle if anyone in the city center survived because drat does it get messed up.

They all got waylaid by iron giants.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I haven't played a FF game since VII and I only recently got a PS4 and I'm looking for a nice, long, decent RPG I can dip into and out of a couple of times a week to unwind whilst I get busy with university stuff.

Is FFXV that game??!

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Frankston posted:

I haven't played a FF game since VII and I only recently got a PS4 and I'm looking for a nice, long, decent RPG I can dip into and out of a couple of times a week to unwind whilst I get busy with university stuff.

Is FFXV that game??!

I hope you like to fill your time with sidequests for that long decent RPG. The story can be completed in a day?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Frankston posted:

Is FFXV that game??!

This is more action game than the usual JRPG but it's a good game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Frankston posted:

Is FFXV that game??!

It'd work pretty well for that purpose, I think. Might be the best way to experience it, actually.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The game keeps a quest log and tells you where you need to go, so you don't have to worry so much about forgetting where you were going.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The one thing that actually was effective is when you get to the last chapter and See the clothes of the staff lying around ruined Galdin Quay, especially Monica in the spot she's always standing in

This was actually one of the saddest things from the game for me :smith:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat the last boss and watched the ending (again). For all the game's faults with regards to it's storytelling, it's still a really strong ending. I know a lot of people like to pick a humorous picture at the end but I just can't do it. I always pick a nice pic of the gang and their friends.

I've played the game for over 120 hours and I want more! I suppose I still have to get the carneval chocobo trophies. Looking forward to the DLCs!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 7, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn't explore the place much as I was scared off by the mobs and welp it was pretty dark. Honestly, I'm just sad I never got to re-visit Insomnia in it's glory days.

Frankston posted:

Is FFXV that game??!

How much do you like chocobos and/or camping?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Alder posted:

I didn't explore the place much as I was scared off by the mobs and welp it was pretty dark. Honestly, I'm just sad I never got to re-visit Insomnia in it's glory days.
There's an item in a side room that I don't think you can normally access but you can't pick up items while baddies are around and going into the room spawns like 20 of them so I'm super curious what the gently caress is in that room. It's on the left side if you're facing the entrance, so I think that makes it the western room. If someone managed to pick that item up, I'm curious if it's anything of worth.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Happy Birthday to my BF :3:

https://twitter.com/FFXVJP/status/828574286835224576

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

you fukkin murder him in the first chapter

Second chapter. Also, he inexplicably shows up later for a rematch, Star Wolf-style, along with that other Imperial commander you capture who then escapes off-camera.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if those two idiots were still clanging around in the grim darkness of the post-timeskip.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DaveKap posted:

There's an item in a side room that I don't think you can normally access but you can't pick up items while baddies are around and going into the room spawns like 20 of them so I'm super curious what the gently caress is in that room. It's on the left side if you're facing the entrance, so I think that makes it the western room. If someone managed to pick that item up, I'm curious if it's anything of worth.

It's a megalixir or something I'm pretty sure I cleared that area out.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got the costumes and the dream egg from the carnival, is there anything else worth getting from the DLC because its kinds lovely

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got the costumes and the dream egg from the carnival, is there anything else worth getting from the DLC because its kinds lovely

2 recipes and items to give to Cid to upgrade your machinery.

Stacking the festival t-shirt, Gladio's megaphone, a black choker, and regen food does make for some impressive HP regen.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The carnival is just about the cutest thing. I'm glad I finally played it

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Final Fantasy XV Broke Even on Development Costs on Day One

:toot:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

How is that even possible :psyduck:
Good on them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

How is that even possible :psyduck:
Good on them.

They probably are counting only FFXV's development costs and not anything associated with Versus XIII.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poo poo, they managed to do in one day what MGSV did in like 1 or 2 months goddamn

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 7, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

exploded mummy posted:

poo poo, they managed to do in one day what MGSV did in like 1 or 2 months goddamn

They didn't hire Kiefer Sutherland which helps :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Every line becomes "Talk about backseat fishing"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Phantasium posted:

Ignis: "I've come up with a new recipe!"

Noctis: "Goood, gooooooood"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Phantasium posted:

Hey there are 6 entire fishing lines thank you.

Unless, god help you, you let your line get under half. Then there's only like 2 over and over again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
On a second playthrough Chapter 13 isn't as bad, probably because you have an idea of how far along you are. It's still tedious without being a challenge, though. One of the worst decisions would have to be disabling sprinting until very late in the chapter, so you feel like you're artificially hobbled in terms of movement when you just want to get through the thing as quickly as possible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking for the B-tagged fish in the Chocobo Moogle Carnival.

What fish is it and where is it located and what time of day does it come out at?

Edit: Got it!

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 7, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Ugh, for a minute I thought you were talking about FFXI

<flashbacks>

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The guy who's been doing the weapon moveset videos finally finished covering everything, including the royal arms. This isn't the most complicated battle system ever, but it's worth a look if you've never seen it before. I'd recommend at least checking out the Cleigne video for the Scepter of the Pious, the branching weapon/combo paths are interesting, to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW7dplzpo8zmJf9wd1TZRRevIv7temXSR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They probably are counting only FFXV's development costs and not anything associated with Versus XIII.

to be fair, by all accounts it's a different game than Versus XIII was going to be, isn't it? and we don't really know how much they were ever actively working on Versus XIII vs. just having the project sitting around while they were busy doing XIII-2 and XIII-3 and fixing XIV 1.0, right?

• Locked thread