Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okey dokey.

My dad's still talking about a swap in his scimitar (3.1 Ford v6, pisses fuel everywhere, gets about 6mpg, historically correct but a piece of crap). He wants to put in either a Volvo white block turbo or D5, I'm trying to steer him towards a Lexus V8. I just hope he doesn't randomly decide to sell it and not tell me.
What about the Ford Duratec V6? Keeps it relatively "right" with a 3-litre Ford V6, and they're in RWD flavour in Jaguar S Types?

Or just rebuild the Essex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Also available with twin turbos :getin:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbCBmuluF4

For those of you who like Big Clive, you really need to watch this one.

I'm not saying anything, other than listen to the entire commentary.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want a 1UZ swap. Japanese V8. I want it because I grew up watching US TV shows with cars which had V8s and I've forever loved the noise...

Japanese engine, Japanese car, American soundtrack.

1UZ's rule, toyota make the best engines

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Walk to the shop and then carry on walking. Walking is better than buying alcohol to drown your sorrows.

spog posted:

Keep walking straight past that store and eventually you'll feel a little better.

Advice is appreciated. Ended up grabbing a bottle of Zzzquil instead. Not habit forming and I was desperate for sleep. I need a week off from America.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Liquid Communism posted:

Advice is appreciated. Ended up grabbing a bottle of Zzzquil instead. Not habit forming and I was desperate for sleep. I need a week off from America.

If you ever need to vent, you can do it here and I guarantee that at least half a dozen people will have your back.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

I was actually looking at the 1.0 ecoboost.

They're about $1000. 2 door falcons were about 2200lbs with steel body pannels and a cast iron everything i6 that made 95hp. Imagine a little ~150hp i3 and fiberglass panels. You could have a sub-2000lb "muscle car" that gets 40mpg.

Can't lie, I would love to do something similar to a mid-70's 2-door Maverick. Something somewhat sporty, with a bodystyle I like, and decent gas mileage appeals.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

spog posted:

If you ever need to vent, you can do it here and I guarantee that at least half a dozen people will have your back.

Thats what makes AI a genuinely good community. We know poo poo gets bad and we all need help at some point.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

No. One, because I really don't care for V8s and I don't want to go the easy route. Everyone does an LS. Its like the LEGO of car swaps.

Two, I want something with fuel efficiency and towing power. That means diesel. And diesel is easier to tune and add power to.

Three: loving LS/LSx/Modular swaps piss me the gently caress off for no particular reason. Because its the easy swap. I don't want easy, I want a challenge.

have you tried doing one? I recommend you do that before you tell people it's easy.

And :lol: you can't possibly loving be serious about a mercedes diesel having towing power.

e: oh jesus loving christ who gave me this, I'm not sure if it's worse or better than the last one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, that avatar is excellent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

e: oh jesus loving christ who gave me this, I'm not sure if it's worse or better than the last one

Holy poo poo there really is a Honda Ridgeline forum

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy poo poo there really is a Honda Ridgeline forum

You must lead a very sheltered life. There is an internet community for EVERY car under the sun.

Yes, including the Ford Tempo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbCBmuluF4

For those of you who like Big Clive, you really need to watch this one.

I'm not saying anything, other than listen to the entire commentary.

Off, Sore, and Agony.

Well, OK, then.

I discovered throught the related videos to the first video on that product (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClSch3zLC0k) the concept of "fidget spinners", and I'm flabbergasted what some of those things cost. I mean, I get it - I like fiddling with spinny things (disassembled hard drive motors work well), but Jesus:
https://fromrussiawithknives.com/ckf-pepyakka2-spinner-torqbar/
$200+, when they have them.

DIY ones are cheap though, with Chinese bearings and some hardware or bicycle bits.

Just an observation that hipsters will pay stupid $$ for useless objects, I guess.

kastein posted:

have you tried doing one? I recommend you do that before you tell people it's easy.

And :lol: you can't possibly loving be serious about a mercedes diesel having towing power.

In terms of parts availability and knowledge, I see what he means, but yeah, even swapping the same engine in and out of a car is sometimes painful.

quote:

I need to give you back the toy Jeep.
edit: I liked the toy Jeep. It made me smile every time you posted.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

You must lead a very sheltered life. There is an internet community for EVERY car under the sun.

Yes, including the Ford Tempo.

There probably is a forum for girls tied to front of cars and groped by tentacles but just like a forum for Ridgelines I aint gonna go look for it. I'm happy to pretend it doesnt exist

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo :stonk::hf::haw:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

This is one of the best Ken avs I've ever seen. Kudos to whoever did this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yes, I've built an LS for a friend. LS swapped into an XJ with an AX15 and an adapter plate. You figure with the past two lengthy threads I've done on motor swaps and fuel injection that I'd have some AI cred with doing engine swaps by now...
And I regularly have towed cars with Mercedes diesels. Its why I'm hunting for another Wagon. Towing with gas vehicles, no matter how powerful, sucks. The new Ford turbo motors get a pass, they are decent, but that's mostly due to the Direct Injection and turbocharging. I'd rather tow with a diesel anyday.

:shrug: Seriously, I get it, I'll shut up about the LS. Stop quoting me about it. gently caress.

Have some loving CREE light bars:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 8, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Darchangel posted:

These too. I keep looking at Youtube videos of LS400s with modified exhausts...

A friend had one. It sounded like a narrowboat.

CommieGIR posted:

Have some loving CREE light bars:

I'm possibly looking for extra driving lights. I keep seeing ebay-special "cree" lightbars for not much money. Are they worth it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

meltie posted:

I'm possibly looking for extra driving lights. I keep seeing ebay-special "cree" lightbars for not much money. Are they worth it?

I have had good success with the stuff that Lightbar Supply sells, though I seem to remember you are in the UK.

http://lightbarsupply.com/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anybody with any white "lightbar" on their car, that uses it, ever, on any public roadway, should be executed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Anybody with any white "lightbar" on their car, that uses it, ever, on any public roadway, should be executed.

It's leveled to 3 feet in front of the car. And besides, with all the new freaking laser bright HID crap coming on every new car that blinds me, LED bars are the least of your worry.

But gently caress jacked trucks that put that poo poo at eye level and then proceed to tailgate you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

It's leveled to 3 feet in front of the car. And besides, with all the new freaking laser bright HID crap coming on every new car that blinds me, LED bars are the least of your worry.

But gently caress jacked trucks that put that poo poo at eye level and then proceed to tailgate you.

Just means it's going to reflect right up any time the road's wet.. aka 90% of the time you want to use it.

gently caress those things. I've almost ended up ditched so many times coming home at 2am on rural roads when some chucklefuck with high-aimed HIDz and a LED bar comes around a corner ahead of me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Just means it's going to reflect right up any time the road's wet.. aka 90% of the time you want to use it.

gently caress those things. I've almost ended up ditched so many times coming home at 2am on rural roads when some chucklefuck with high-aimed HIDz and a LED bar comes around a corner ahead of me.

I doubt my little light single row 6 count bars are gonna be as bad as some truck-nuts jacked mall crawler packing quad row 80 count LED bar.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I say again

Murder LED lightbar havers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Nothing satisfies you jerks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure what the problem with light bars are if you dont use them like an rear end in a top hat. Dip the lights and uhhhh..... where is the problem?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The problem is that way too many people just drive around with them on all the time around town or whatever.

I had huge driving lights on my old subaru to do night time navigational rallies. They were awesome. But they were also wired into the high beam circuit with a switch. So for the lights to be on, the switch and the high beams both had to also be on.

On a related note I see a lot of people who think they need high beams to drive through a neighborhood at 25mph at night.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not sure what the problem with light bars are if you dont use them like an rear end in a top hat. Dip the lights and uhhhh..... where is the problem?

I'll let you know when I encounter such a person.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Suck it, jerks.

7" bar with a 9" hid under it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
It's almost like the issue isn't the equipment but the inconsiderate shitheads operating it, who'd have known? :suicide:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

cursedshitbox posted:

Suck it, jerks.

7" bar with a 9" hid under it.

its all about inches with you

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

its all about inches with you

Lies. I'm all about penetration

E: I wouldnt need bright rear end lights if deer and pedestrians weren't so god drat stupid.

tonight alone i dodged two retards jaywalking in all black clothes. good thing my bricknose lights are so loving illegally bright.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 8, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jamal posted:

On a related note I see a lot of people who think they need high beams to drive through a neighborhood at 25mph at night.

Yeah, everyone knows their main function is "spare lights when my headlight bulb burns out".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

literally a fish posted:

It's almost like the issue isn't the equipment but the inconsiderate shitheads operating it, who'd have known? :suicide:

What do you call it when the only people with said equipment are inconsiderate shitheads?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Here in Aus we still get shitheads with a spotlight facing backwards on their junkass 4x4's. when I lived up the range they would flick it on so it blinded the cars behind them while they did 40km/hr up the hill, which was an 80 zone

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably because junkass 4x4s don't have a turbodiesel and are slower than shitfuck.

and admittedly, I've done that very thing. but if I'm on a hill in the slowlane with hazards on and you ride my rear end with brights, you're gonna' get whats coming for you dickstain.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing satisfies you jerks.

Clearly murder would.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Rip Richard Hatch, "Apollo" from the original Battlestar Galactica, and leader guy in the new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFoz724L94

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was a huge oval office in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

He was a huge oval office in recent years.

Oh yeah? I don't actually care that he died, but people in the chat thread always seem to go RIP for everyone who dies.

I heard the person who played Starbuck was angry that it went to a woman or something.

• Locked thread