Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/829127541159976960

Treating adults like children is a surefire way to ensure success.

Technically it's in keeping with the latest sociological research. No point treating youth like adults if due to the way the economy is structured they have no way of reaching the benefits or responsibilities of being adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Cirofren posted:

Does poo poo like this get voted on the in senate then the house? I'm not up on how senators introduce legislation. gently caress I think I even asked this in this thread years ago but I can't remember.

Lol if they manage to write it in a way that conflicts wi
E; dam phone posting.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Technically it's in keeping with the latest sociological research. No point treating youth like adults if due to the way the economy is structured they have no way of reaching the benefits or responsibilities of being adult.

Surely it's just so they can pull their benefits if their parents earn money.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

And we have a winner. Imagine if your 'rents live in a really well to do suburb as befits their enormous combined income. Wonder what the unemployment rate in that suburb is? Really really low I'm guessing. So if you move out of home because your 'rents are insufferable boomer poo poo heads who listen to Ray Hadley and watch the Bolt report you almost automatically have to cop the six months without benefits for moving to an area with higher unemployment. Sucks to be you!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/study-reveals-australia-no-longer-the-lucky-country-for-millenials-20170207-gu72cc.html

quote:

Study reveals Australia no longer the 'lucky country' for millennials Anna Patty

Millennials in Australia no longer consider it the "lucky country" and are less optimistic about the future than their counterparts in developing economies including the Philippines, Indonesia and India. The international study also reveals Australians born after 1982 are more prepared to leave their jobs after two years than they have been in previous surveys. New research from the University of Sydney has found that some Generation Yers are reluctant to see themselves in terms of generational differences. The 2017 Deloitte Millennial Survey is based on the views of 8000 people born after 1982 across 30 countries, including 300 in Australia. Only 8 per cent of millennials in Australia believe they will be better off than their parents and only 4 per cent believe they will be happier(loving EMOs). That compares with greater optimism in markets including Europe and the US where 36 per cent of respondents predicted they would be financially better off than their parents. The optimism is even greater in emerging markets in Asia where 71 per cent of young adults believe they will be financially better off than their elders.

The results are similar when it comes to their happiness.

David Hill, Deloitte Australia's chief operating officer said for millennials "Australia no longer looks like the lucky country. I suspect booming house prices in the major cities of Sydney and Melbourne are partly to blame for this pessimism, with many young Australians believing the dream of owning their own home is increasingly out of reach. It's another indicator for state and federal governments of the need to find answers to the question of housing affordability." The concerns of millennials around the globe have shifted from climate change and resource scarcity to crime, corruption, war and political tension. They are also concerned about unemployment, healthcare and income inequality. A relatively lower proportion (22 per cent) of Australians expected the overall social and political situation in their country to improve compared to 36 per cent internationally.

The majority of younger Australians also appeared to want to see greater passion and conviction from their politicians.

"Our survey shows business and political leaders need to find a way to bring millennials with them on key initiatives," Mr Hill said. "They are more comfortable with straight-talking language but will reject leaders who take divisive positions." In last year's survey, 46 per cent of Australian millennials planned to leave their job in the next two years. That proportion has grown to 58 per cent this year. But there was also a growing proportion, 24 per cent compared to 19 per cent last year, who wanted to stay with their employer for five years or more. Deloitte said this greater loyalty was linked to organisation's values and purpose.

The study said charities and local companies are thought to be exceeding their potential to help address social issues.

"Millennials are a little sceptical with respect to the motivations of large, multinational businesses that support charities or otherwise contribute to social initiatives," the study said. Many millennials felt unable to influence society's biggest challenges; but, in the workforce, they could feel greater sense of control. "Where workplace opportunities are offered, millennials are significantly more likely to say they can influence social equality, the environment, the behaviour of big businesses, and even the overall directions of their countries," the study found. "Regardless of whether millennials as individuals can make a tangible difference ... the key point is that employers can provide a sense of empowerment."

The study also suggested a majority of millennials said flexible working practices improved their productivity and engagement (So looks like millennials (over 50%) are easily led loving idiots). The study follows commentary on the best way to approach millennials suggesting they are widely misunderstood(?) as lazy, entitled narcissists.

Top Issues for Australian millennials 2017

:siren: Terrorism: 30% :siren: (So looks like millennials (30%) are easily led loving idiots)

Crime/personal safety: 27%

Climate Change/environment/natural disasters: 26%

Income inequality/distribution of wealth: 25%

Healthcare/disease prevention: 20%
So harden the gently caress up you millennial whiners.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hinch has flipped on the ABCC, giving the government numbers in the senate

Hinch said he flipped because construction companies told him it was killing them, ironic given the last time the ABCC was active it literally killed people.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hinch said he flipped because construction companies told him it was killing them, ironic given the last time the ABCC was active it literally killed people.

I thought the ABCC stuff had already gone through late last year?

EDIT: Oh, they have done more changes, because the government wants to force construction companies to follow their regulations if they want government tenders.

Shame Derryn, shame.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 8, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/08/derryn-hinch-backflip-on-abbc-may-disadvantage-some-building-companies
Building companies risk losing government work immediately if they fail to renegotiate industrial agreements to meet the government’s strict new code after a backflip by senator Derryn Hinch.

[...]

The amendment means the about 3,000 companies with union-approved enterprise agreements will miss out unless they renegotiate deals, a change aimed to punish those that gave conditions more generous than the code and reward builders who resisted union pressure, such as Kane Constructions.

Sorry mate, you treat your workers too well. Not the sort of company the government wants to be associated with.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Companies are clearly more important that the people who do the work.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We must remove the coercive influence of unions from the construction industry

And replace it with the coercive influence of the federal government

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Derrin Hinch Human Pile of poo poo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

We must remove the coercive influence of unions from the construction industry

And replace it with the coercive influence of the federal government

And yet at the same time, small government! regulation bad! flexibility! red tape!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...e-politics-live
When he was a regular dinner guest at Raheen, with Dick Pratt, did he knock back the crystal? I don’t think so, there was never a union leader in Melbourne that tucked his knees under more billionaires’ tables than the leader of the opposition. He lapped it up, yes, he lapped it up. He was such a sycophant, a social-climbing sycophant, if ever there was one.

There has never been a more sycophantic leader of the Labor party than this one and he comes here and poses as a tribute of the people. He likes harbourside mansions. He is yearning for one, he is yearning to get into Kirribilli House. Because somebody else pays for it.

I wonder if he'll ever realise how weak this burn is.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
[M

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Derrin Hinch Human Pile of poo poo.

I've always considered Hinch to be a pile of poo poo, but up until now I had also thought he was a principled piece of poo poo.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've always considered Hinch to be a pile of poo poo, but up until now I had also thought he was a principled piece of poo poo.
Why? His only principle to date has been targeting paedophiles which is the easiest target imaginable. A cynic would suspect that it was specifically chosen as an issue to pursue because it wasn't going to be controversial (in the sense of there being any opponents) and makes for a big splash (Hence 'The Human Headline'). Especially ironic is his own admission (now altered several time in the details) that he had a sexual relationship with a minor while in his thirties. Looks like he can't bear anyone else getting that sweet sweet kiddie pussy if he can't. Derrin Hinch; Just say, "gently caress off you arse clown". Or vote him into the federal senate. Your call really.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
All of the crossbenchers are piles of poo poo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hooman posted:

Unless they're also changing when people are considered automatically independent from anyone 22 or over to anyone 25 or over, I don't think so.

e:Like I'm certain this is intended to gently caress people some way, but it can pretty easily be justified by them. They could just fix the underlying conditions forcing youth to be extended, but penny-pinching welfare is easier.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 8, 2017

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

All of the crossbenchers are piles of poo poo.

Now that our Ricky is gone, sure :(

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cartoon posted:

The study also suggested a majority of millennials said flexible working practices improved their productivity and engagement (So looks like millennials (over 50%) are easily led loving idiots).

Depends on whether millennials are thinking of their right to flexible working arrangements such as changing the times of their shifts to meet caring obligations, or experiencing DV etc. It's pretty loving unlikely they mean, "Yes please take away our penalty rates! Who will think of the job creators!" Despite that being exactly how this will be used.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what's ricky up to these days anyway

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Bought the lumber mill he used to work at. :3:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/from-senator-to-saw-mill-owner-the-rise-and-rise-of-ricky-muir-20161115-gsq55w.html

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 8, 2017

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

good on him

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ricky is also poo poo hth

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

no,

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
and furthermore he was actually pretty good. hth.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
All politicians are poo poo. hth.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So, Turnbulls insults at Shorten about sucking up to Richard Pratt today in question time? Well, Pratt died a few years ago but guess which party his family has only donated to in the last financial year? Thats right, the Liberals.

Own goal President Trumble.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Truck Fumble.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yes, a remarkably tone-deaf silvertail swipe that cheered his mates and the younger impressionable members of the Press Gallery, from one who sold his soul for PM and paid 1.75 million as a sweetener.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Take off your rose coloured glasses.

https://theyvoteforyou.org.au/people/senate/victoria/ricky_muir

Voted very strongly against

A minerals resource rent tax
Giving apprentices access to a $20,000 loan
Implementing refugee and protection conventions
More scrutiny of intelligence services & police
More scrutiny of the Australian Defence Force
Putting a time limit on immigration detention
Requiring Parliamentary approval of military deployments
Restricting donations to political parties
Senate electoral reform

Voted very strongly for

An emissions reduction fund
Charging postgraduate research students fees
Decreasing availability of welfare payments
Live animal export
Maintaining or increasing CSIRO funding
Making Australians working overseas repay their student debts
Temporary protection visas

I think the problem is that the overwhelming majority of senators are so poo poo that when one who is merely mediocre comes in, its surprising and a breath of fresh air. That doesnt make them good though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What was so good about him? He voted with the LNP most of the time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Temporary protection visas

Come the gently caress on, he was getting phone called by children in detention begging him to vote for this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

I wonder if he'll ever realise how weak this burn is.

He smoked ice with Richard Pratt?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

starkebn posted:

What was so good about him? He voted with the LNP most of the time.

He wasn't absolute poo poo in terms of character and when Abbott did some bait and switch stuff regarding offshore detention, he wised up and started speaking out more. He was roughly in line with the LNP to start with, but got more independent as he went. His speeches are more effective and heartfelt than Donald Trump. And this is a man for whom all that was known about him before he entered the upper was that he picked up poo poo and threw it at his friends once.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Depends on whether millennials are thinking of their right to flexible working arrangements such as changing the times of their shifts to meet caring obligations, or experiencing DV etc. It's pretty loving unlikely they mean, "Yes please take away our penalty rates! Who will think of the job creators!" Despite that being exactly how this will be used.

I would be in that 50% and I interpreted it the way you did. Its a work life balance thing, not a cry for a boss to gently caress me over

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

I would be in that 50% and I interpreted it the way you did. Its a work life balance thing, not a cry for a boss to gently caress me over

The BCA interprets everything as a cry for a boss to gently caress you over.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/what-type-of-aussie-are-you-meet-the-7-new-political-tribes-20170203-gu57b2

I got hipster or activist egalitarian

0% on everything else

Also outright says werenotracist are unfriendly unlikable pricks

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hiddenmovement posted:

Sucked in then.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cartoon posted:

And we have a winner. Imagine if your 'rents live in a really well to do suburb as befits their enormous combined income. Wonder what the unemployment rate in that suburb is? Really really low I'm guessing. So if you move out of home because your 'rents are insufferable boomer poo poo heads who listen to Ray Hadley and watch the Bolt report you almost automatically have to cop the six months without benefits for moving to an area with higher unemployment. Sucks to be you!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/study-reveals-australia-no-longer-the-lucky-country-for-millenials-20170207-gu72cc.html
So harden the gently caress up you millennial whiners.

The terrorism answer has a reason

The Deloitte survey was taken in September 2016 — relatively soon after deadly terrorism attacks in Nice, Florida and Belgium, as well as dozens of attacks across the Islamic world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Come the gently caress on, he was getting phone called by children in detention begging him to vote for this.

Forgot about this. Doesnt mean TPVs are good policy though.

• Locked thread