Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Someone should offer-sheet Gostisbehere this offseason but it'll never happen. For instance, would the Flyers be willing to match a $5M contract for 6 years or would they just take the first and third as compensation?

It has to be the Predators if it's anybody at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/829166716102049793

:thurman:

They also made a "slashin' through adversity" tweet.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 8, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Dale Ouise posted:

Posting this now so I can quote it later

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Shawn Cotureier posted:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/2/7/14543784/notes-from-flyers-town-hall-meeting

Here's a full recap of the town hall meeting

Hakstol seems to be in WAY over his head

quote:

Asked if Hak was going to be fired and whether Hak was aggressive enough to coach in a city like Phila. Homer defended Hak, said he does things behind closed doors we don't see. Said Hak is not going anywhere, is part of the longterm plan for the team.

quote:

- Became very angry when someone asked how far the Flyers are away from Capitals and Penguins. Said they can compete with any team in the NHL. That was the last question directed to him. He left the room somewhat flustered. Looked like he was happy to get out of the room.

lol

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Shawn Cotureier posted:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/2/7/14543784/notes-from-flyers-town-hall-meeting

Here's a full recap of the town hall meeting

Hakstol seems to be in WAY over his head

Meritocracy is a myth.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Well I wouldn't expect Homer to say he's not longterm, that's just PR 101. I do think Hak survives this season, but all bets are off for next. He'll be coach to start the year, but might not finish it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

Someone should offer-sheet Gostisbehere this offseason but it'll never happen. For instance, would the Flyers be willing to match a $5M contract for 6 years or would they just take the first and third as compensation?

Vegas can negotiate with RFA and UFA players a couple days ahead of the expansion draft and sign guys instead of drafting someone from that team.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/829129869262979078

Reminder that the Leafs dynasty is starting soon.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Brent Burns has 10 more goals than the next leading defenseman (holy jesus he's having some season I guess)

Only Crosby and McDavid have more points than him. Holy poo poo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I don't get it, does AMac know some deep dark secret of Hakstol's or something :confused:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I can understand not wanting to openly trash your players at an event like this, but jesus christ Hak come on now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
At this point there has to be some personal issue or issue we don't know about as to why players are getting scratched (Flyers). Someone parties too much or is perceived to not be a team player by Hak or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Hexy is hinting at some manner of behavior problem with Ghost, but sitting 3 straight games can't help but make me wonder if something else is going on.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/snstats/status/829176677955727361

Surely it will end well this time

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
The one thing I'm latching on to to keep the hope alive is that I don't recall them keeping opponents from scoring so well last year. Seems like we've have a pretty ridiculous number of 4-0, 5-1, kind of games.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Pavelec has allowed 3 goals in every game he's started this year. And yet Maurice starts him over Helly because he makes 'timely saves'.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah. Every Canadian team as of late tends to fall apart once the post season rolls around. I don't see why-

Ok, that's a sweet pass, sure, but can they do it when it counts?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duck Rodgers posted:

Pavelec has allowed 3 goals in every game he's started this year. And yet Maurice starts him over Helly because he makes 'timely saves'.

quote:

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS (33-13-5, 71 points)

Where they stand: Second place in Metropolitan Division

What they need: Depth at center, an experienced backup goaltender

Potential targets: G Ondrej Pavelec, Winnipeg Jets; G Keith Kinkaid, Devils; D Michael Stone, Arizona Coyotes; D Cody Franson, Buffalo Sabres; D Brendan Smith, Detroit Red Wings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0DGjXE_BQQ

...unrelated, Brendan Smith would be interesting given his high hit on Josh Anderson last night and everyone wanting to kill him, right down to he and Hartnell throwing them at the end of regulation but not actually fighting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

z0331 posted:

The one thing I'm latching on to to keep the hope alive is that I don't recall them keeping opponents from scoring so well last year. Seems like we've have a pretty ridiculous number of 4-0, 5-1, kind of games.

Yeah the caps have gotten a ton better defensively over the last couple years from what I've seen.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

z0331 posted:

I've actually noticed something a little different. Obviously they have really good defensive depth and a Vezina goaltender and that is always going to keep the goals against numbers down, but instead of sitting back like they did for much of last year they've shifted to all-out attacking hockey over the past 2 months or so. For the most part they are trying to blow out opponents instead of trying to grind out 2-1 wins like they did the prior two seasons under Trotz. Sometimes it will lead to games like the 8-7 OTL against Pittsburgh or the 5-4 OT win against Toronto, but it's also going to lead to ridiculous blowouts in their favor. I'm extremely encouraged by the fact that Trotz has decided to let his players play an offense-first system and rely on a stud goaltender to cover up any defensive mistakes that may result.

Also it can't be overstated how much of an upgrade Lars Eller is over Mike Richards and how good Dmitry Orlov and Nate Schmidt have been in transition.

Yes their PDO is sky-high right now, but their underlying possession numbers are excellent as well. Hopefully they don't do anything dumb like acquire Mike Weber to replace Orlov or Schmidt in the lineup in the postseason!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

but instead of sitting back... they've shifted to all-out attacking hockey

A team with a bunch of offensive weapons using them as such? Boy that must be nice! :manning:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

iospace posted:

Nah. Every Canadian team as of late tends to fall apart once the post season rolls around. I don't see why-

Ok, that's a sweet pass, sure, but can they do it when it counts?

Mitch Marner is the truth, which is why I'm going to be really upset in the future during the playoffs when defenders just drop their sticks to punch him in the face and put him in an arm bar every time he enters the zone, with the refs looking the other way because "playoff hockey" and such.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

I've actually noticed something a little different. Obviously they have really good defensive depth and a Vezina goaltender and that is always going to keep the goals against numbers down, but instead of sitting back like they did for much of last year they've shifted to all-out attacking hockey over the past 2 months or so. For the most part they are trying to blow out opponents instead of trying to grind out 2-1 wins like they did the prior two seasons under Trotz. Sometimes it will lead to games like the 8-7 OTL against Pittsburgh or the 5-4 OT win against Toronto, but it's also going to lead to ridiculous blowouts in their favor. I'm extremely encouraged by the fact that Trotz has decided to let his players play an offense-first system and rely on a stud goaltender to cover up any defensive mistakes that may result.

Also it can't be overstated how much of an upgrade Lars Eller is over Mike Richards and how good Dmitry Orlov and Nate Schmidt have been in transition.

Yes their PDO is sky-high right now, but their underlying possession numbers are excellent as well. Hopefully they don't do anything dumb like acquire Mike Weber to replace Orlov or Schmidt in the lineup in the postseason!

They made it through the All Star break, now they have to make it through the bye week. If they come back from that and still look the same, there's hope.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Haven't posted in here a while but lmao

I'm not even watching the games really because of other stuff to do but also because the Flyers are utter piss and Hakstol needs to go

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah Hexy is hinting at some manner of behavior problem with Ghost, but sitting 3 straight games can't help but make me wonder if something else is going on.
One thing that I'll bring up about Ghost is something I heard last week at my local hockey shop, which is one that just happens to be frequented by lots of Flyers alumni. Basically his work ethic sucks. He needed to put on muscle over the offseason but didn't do it. That might give credence to the "behavior problem" aspect. I still think he needs to play though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mean he's like, what, 22 or 23? It wouldn't surprise me if he feels like he doesn't have to work any harder because of how well he played last year. Not that I'm much older than him, but young people are stupid. I'm actually pretty stupid too.

Anyway, it's still probably dumb to sit him.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/829166716102049793

:thurman:

They also made a "slashin' through adversity" tweet.

Wow, that's a hell of a snipe.

Being that far out and on the right angle, there's no reason Mrazek shouldn't have saved that.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean he's like, what, 22 or 23? It wouldn't surprise me if he feels like he doesn't have to work any harder because of how well he played last year. Not that I'm much older than him, but young people are stupid. I'm actually pretty stupid too.

Anyway, it's still probably dumb to sit him.
Yeah, that's the feeling I got from it, him thinking he's got this whole NHL thing figured out to an extent. He was dynamite last year, although was faulty in the defensive end at times, being worked off pucks and such. He'll figure it out.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 8, 2017

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

havlat retired

https://twitter.com/NHLPA/status/829353010027446272

:havlat:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

One thing that I'll bring up about Ghost is something I heard last week at my local hockey shop, which is one that just happens to be frequented by lots of Flyers alumni. Basically his work ethic sucks. He needed to put on muscle over the offseason but didn't do it. That might give credence to the "behavior problem" aspect. I still think he needs to play though.

Is there a lazier cliche in sports than "bad work ethic" for a young player? It's thrown about constantly, but I can count on one hand the number of times it has been true. In the vast majority of cases the answer is "players improve at different rates and can stagnate for a bit after having some initial success." Assuming that a drop in performance is suddenly the result of too much partying/not being a team guy instead of a natural part of the ups and downs of a pro career is just lazy. Not everyone is a Sidney Crosby beep boop never stop working machine.

It's never hardworking young players that call out their teammates. It's the 33 year old journeymen that don't have a great deal of talent and less assurance of a place in the lineup than their more talented peers. Them or old NHLers that are now in their 50s and 60s and wear rose coloured glasses about their playing days while conveniently forgetting the years drinking on the team bus and chasing rear end because they were hard working pros and definitely not rich, young kids enjoying life because kids these days with their snapchat and selfies amirite?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Being that far out and on the right angle, there's no reason Mrazek shouldn't have saved that.

Mrazek missed the exact same shot in OT a few games ago. He seems to over commit to the near post on those shots.

Edit: he's like a much worse Crawford

Nottherealaborn fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 8, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

ThinkTank posted:

Is there a lazier cliche in sports than "bad work ethic" for a young player? It's thrown about constantly, but I can count on one hand the number of times it has been true. In the vast majority of cases the answer is "players improve at different rates and can stagnate for a bit after having some initial success." Assuming that a drop in performance is suddenly the result of too much partying/not being a team guy instead of a natural part of the ups and downs of a pro career is just lazy. Not everyone is a Sidney Crosby beep boop never stop working machine.

It's never hardworking young players that call out their teammates. It's the 33 year old journeymen that don't have a great deal of talent and less assurance of a place in the lineup than their more talented peers. Them or old NHLers that are now in their 50s and 60s and wear rose coloured glasses about their playing days while conveniently forgetting the years drinking on the team bus and chasing rear end because they were hard working pros and definitely not rich, young kids enjoying life because kids these days with their snapchat and selfies amirite?

Honestly this pretty true for most situations in life where old people are involved.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

Honestly this pretty true for most situations in life where old people are involved.

Yup, it boils down to the fact that those with responsibility (generally older) are jealous of the unencumbered nature of those without it (the young and carefree). Placing the expectations of a 53 year old family man on a single 22 year old guy leads to situations where Seguin gets traded for a bundle of soiled rags. People do a hell of a lot of growing up and settling down in their twenties, it just requires a modicum of patience to play out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

People do a hell of a lot of growing up and settling down in their twenties, it just requires a modicum of patience to play out.

Well some of them do.

*glares at Patrick Kane*

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Yup, it boils down to the fact that those with responsibility (generally older) are jealous of the unencumbered nature of those without it (the young and carefree). Placing the expectations of a 53 year old family man on a single 22 year old guy leads to situations where Seguin gets traded for a bundle of soiled rags. People do a hell of a lot of growing up and settling down in their twenties, it just requires a modicum of patience to play out.
Additionally, there have been scores of players who have succeeded in the league despite being alcoholics, pill poppers or coke fiends. Hell, NHL players are much more likely to call out your personal behaviour if you extend your shifts or do drop passes than if you're just a substance abuser.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Eh, it's a big a cliche about athletes at this level for real reasons. Bruce Boudreau was very honest in talking about how if he'd worked harder as a player and not relied on talent he could have had a much more successful pro career. Almost everyone who makes the NHL has always been among the best players on every team they've been on since they were kids and a lot of them could coast a bit. Matt Bradley talked about how he was a skilled goal-scorer type player until he was playing major junior or whatever and that suddenly he had to work his rear end off just to hang. Personally I was never going to play for-real serious hockey, but if I'd actually worked as hard as I've learned to as an adult, I could have played at a much higher level. Hindsight is cruel that way, but I am sure coaches are seeing that in others and trying to do something about it. I agree that straight up benching someone like Ghost is probably hurting both the team and the player more than it's fixing a problem, but I'm willing to believe there's something to the concern given a coach like Hakstol has watched a lot of young players develop.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Jones literally said "Screw it" and took the shot without taking time to set it up, too.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I also think that more than young players they target good players.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

If he sits him once he must be an idiot, but if he sits him three times maybe he's on to something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm not sure how "didn't add muscle" = "poor work ethic"

Didn't DiPi get told to do some thing and all that working out caused his injuries

• Locked thread