Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

jabby posted:

That's great, but how many other people would you rather see on the streets than see houses built on that bit of countryside? It's not really about what you would prefer for yourself.

That's a false dichotomy because we could easily house everyone without wrecking areas of outstanding natural beauty and scientific interest.

e: 1948, the National Assistance Act abolished the poor laws, declaring in section 1 that "The existing poor law shall cease to have effect"

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

That's a false dichotomy because we could easily house everyone without wrecking areas of outstanding natural beauty and scientific interest.

We seem to be arguing at cross purposes here. My initial point is that protectionism of green belt land has reached ridiculous levels to the point where councils are being castigated for building a few thousand houses there. Rules should be relaxed about building on green belts, and councils should be supported in doing so rather than criticised. Because for the most part the objections of people living there are garbage and should be disregarded.

You seem to think this means paving over every inch of the countryside with wilful abandon. Of course you can keep areas of outstanding beauty and scientific interest. That doesn't describe most green belt land. As you say you can house everybody without taking away much of the countryside that exists. You just can't do it easily or well if you insist on maintaining huge swathes of empty land around every major city and forcing people to either live in high rises or commute in from dozens of miles away. That's not particularly good for the environment either, and enforcing green belt rules with an iron fist just means houses go up in some other far less suitable bit of countryside. If they go up at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We could probably house quite a lot of them in the 70% or so of the country currently covered in farmland that I'm pretty sure has bugger all scientific interest and aside from the 10% or so of the country that's national park probably could be replicated in terms of prettiness by just planting some trees or something.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

In fact, we could easily house everyone without destroying any areas of mediocre natural beauty or passing scientific interest.

Just, not without tanking the housing 'market' and so losing the next 5 elections on a scale Corbyn could only dream of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Of course, and this is why housebuilding should be done in large part by local authorities rather than lovely developers.

But still, let's not pretend that the main objection people have to new houses in their village is that the new houses are substandard and may flood. People have a 'gently caress you, got mine' attitude, will object to everything from a new house to a wind farm, and their views should absolutely be disregarded. Just because you own a house doesn't mean you own the whole loving village and surrounding area.
This is the big problem that we face with rural and commuter belt house building currently though. I joined a local group investigating new builds on the basis that on investigation the developers had (deliberately?) done their floodplain studies in late summer and their traffic studies on randomly selected weekday early afternoons. It was obviously something that would cause serious difficulties to the new estates and nearby areas in reality.

Most of the people involved just didn't want new houses for reasons of 'new people' and 'house prices' though. It would be a great thing if there was a scientific body that could determine where the optimal places for new estates were without local or regional bias, some platonic local authority body that didn't have to report to an unfortunately Tory council. I think you could get 60% of the houses that developers want but actually distribute them to people that needed them if done in that manner.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

jabby posted:

You seem to think this means paving over every inch of the countryside with wilful abandon.

No, not at all, but I was talking about the loveliest bits of Cornwall when you asked me how many people I'd be happy to see sleeping on the streets before we built there. I'd stopped talking about the green belt some time ago - I know next to nothing about it - and was just arguing against the "only classist racists care about the countryside, people would rather have homes than nature" claims.

E: sorry for confusion anyway, I am very tired and shall go to bed. :)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

radmonger posted:

Just, not without tanking the housing 'market' and so losing the next 5 elections on a scale Corbyn could only dream of.

Do it while brexit's happening, people will barely notice alongside everything else.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So in the middle of complaining about the Speaker of the House of Commons not inviting a foreign citizen to address Parliament (zomg no platforming!), the Republicans tried to censor a US Senator reading a letter from Martin Luther King's widow. In Black History Month. :cripes:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I don't mind the idea of building on green belt land if necessary, but my own observations from commuting in the last 7 years or so, suggest that if many more people have to commute into London Liverpool Street from the edge of the city, commuter trains will be full long before they get to my station, which is 10 miles out.
London has the most intensive transport network in the UK and it's almost collapsed because people have no choice but to live miles away from where they work and commute in because of prohibitive rents or house prices. Build inner city en masse, build on the fringes selectively.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

We could probably house quite a lot of them in the 70% or so of the country currently covered in farmland that I'm pretty sure has bugger all scientific interest and aside from the 10% or so of the country that's national park probably could be replicated in terms of prettiness by just planting some trees or something.

On a slightly different note, abolishing subsidies for sheep farming (which is fundamentally unprofitable in the uk and can't be carried on without constant state handouts) and allowing the great swathes of upland that are currently environmentally devastated by sheep to return to forest would be one of the best things we could possibly do for Britain's natural environment.

I honestly think sheep farming only survives in the UK because people like to see the fluffy white dots on the hills as they drive between towns.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Oh dear me posted:

No it doesn't. You are just quoting the part in my link where he outlines the BBC report I was pretty sure you got your figure from. Read on and you will see:

"I should raise a note of caution to this rather optimistic assessment. Just because a landscape appears to be green and not “built on” does not mean that it is natural (untouched by human activity) and able to support a viable, healthy ecosystem."

As I said, urban areas contain thousands of bits of greenery. But people who complain about the countryside being ruined are not saying there are no sports grounds or grass verges in towns. Bits of greenery are not countryside.
I have some sympathy for this view but to be consistent we should also exclude all farmland, because that's very much not natural. Farms are food factories. There's nothing natural about them and they are bad for biodiversity.

If the criterion is "untouched by human activity" then there is virtually zero countryside anywhere in Britain. Almost every wood has been managed and coppiced, farms certainly don't count, the Highlands are not a natural landscape etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I thought you were a Leeds supporter

Mods ban this vile filth.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I'm a planning consultant and from where I stand the greatest impediment to getting more houses built are poorly funded and demotivated local authority planning departments.

Also NIMBIES, we are also going to get to a point where every major route in and out of towns is completely hosed because despite how much is talked about sustainable travel, car ownership just increases.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it doesn't help that buses + trains are expensive and poo poo.

even major metropolitain areas in the united states have cheaper busses + trains than the UK.

in New york it costs $125 for a month of unlimited subway + bus use, Chicago it's $100 for unlimited subway + busses.

in England rural bus routes are being cut all the time, which effect old people + the poor + young the most.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
On the other hand, there is no public transport at all in rural America.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Zephro posted:

I have some sympathy for this view but to be consistent we should also exclude all farmland, because that's very much not natural. Farms are food factories. There's nothing natural about them and they are bad for biodiversity.

If the criterion is "untouched by human activity" then there is virtually zero countryside anywhere in Britain. Almost every wood has been managed and coppiced, farms certainly don't count, the Highlands are not a natural landscape etc.

Yes, I agree with all of this, and would add that a plot of ground that had never been touched by human hand would nevertheless be environmentally depleted if it were surrounded by roads, because other species need to travel and mate and so on. So I don't think 'untouched' would be a sensible criterion any more than 'grass grows here' is, it's biodiversity that matters most.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

On the other hand, there is no public transport at all in rural America.

yeah, but gas is cheap and the roads straight and simple.

the difference in scale between the two places is ridiculous.

having a comprehensive public transport system in rural America would be insane simply because of the distances involved.

a lot of suburban areas do have pretty good public transport systems.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

If there is any truth to these rumours, surely the most logical time would be after May triggers article 50. It would mean that the new leader won't have any of that on their hands when they take over.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it's bobbins tbh.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

JFairfax posted:

it doesn't help that buses + trains are expensive and poo poo.

even major metropolitain areas in the united states have cheaper busses + trains than the UK.
When I lived in Hong Kong taxis, tube and buses were a third the price of their British equivalents or even less (I remember the cheapest MTR fare being around $3 which was about 27p at the time (late 1990s)). This despite the fact that Hong Kong had higher per capita income than the UK.

High density housing is one big reason. High population density = cheap and good public transport.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's bobbins tbh.

Agreed, it would make too much sense for him to quit now.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I mean it's always going to be expensive to send a bus tooling out ten miles to the middle of Ruralshire to pick up one or two people

Basically as someone who lives in the countryside, the countryside is poo poo and you should try to live in a city instead

It's too late for me, but you can still save yourselves

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zephro posted:

I mean it's always going to be expensive to send a bus tooling out ten miles to the middle of Ruralshire to pick up one or two people

the problem comes when you have to make it profitable

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
It'll all change when we have electric driverless taxis that are dirt cheap.

edit: ^^^^^^^^ jfc why the hell have you posted that monstrosity.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

JFairfax posted:

the problem comes when you have to make it profitable
Or alternatively when you're spending tax money on that instead of on more crucial things.

Services in the countryside are always going to be crap compared to services in the city, it's inevitable. It's part of the reality of living there.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
things have got a lot worse with rural bus routes over the last 15 years.

e/ also some british cities are still poo poo with public transport.

Bristol for instance, it's a loving mess, it should have a tram or some sort of better train system.

you cannot get a train directly from south of the river to north of the river, you have to change at temple meads. madness.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 8, 2017

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

bristol buses 5 years ago were atrocious, they're slightly better now, but congestion is still a huge problem now

they're working on the metro rail system at the moment ^

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
when you say working on, do you mean 'talking about' ?

because they've been talking about it since the 1990s

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Basically as someone who lives in the countryside, the countryside is poo poo and you should try to live in a city instead

It's too late for me, but you can still save yourselves
At least you have space for some limited self-sufficiency when everything implodes.

Speaking of everything imploding:

quote:

The Government is clear – the NHS is and always will be protected in trade deals. Our world-class healthcare sector benefits from international trade and should not be excluded.

It is not in the UK or wider interests to exclude the UK healthcare sector from trade and investment agreements.

Through trade agreements the UK’s world-class pharmaceutical and medical care and devices sectors can benefit from improved access to overseas markets to sell products and bid for government procurement contracts.

The NHS benefits directly from international trade. As an example the UK Government Healthcare UK initiative works to directly promote the UK healthcare sector (including the NHS) abroad and to strengthen the sectors’ capacity to operate and succeed internationally.

Trade deals do not threaten Government policy-making regarding delivery of public services.

Trade and investment agreements do not force Governments to privatise the delivery of any public services. Similarly, such agreements do not prevent governments from introducing new legislation to safeguard public health or safety.

The UK Government is committed in particular to the principles of a NHS, free at the point of use, based on clinical need and not ability to pay.

It will always remain for the UK Government to decide how public services are run and, in particular, who is best placed to provide NHS services on the basis of patient need.

Department for International Trade
I wonder who these wider interests are.

e:

JFairfax posted:

Bristol for instance, it's a loving mess, it should have a tram or some sort of better train system.
Maybe they should start with trolleybuses.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There was going to be a tram from the docks to...somewhere, I can't remember off the top of my head, planning started in the 90's but there was a bitter divide between the Lib Dem (pro tram) and Tory councillors (anti tram). The Tories eventually solved the problem by building a housing estate in the way of the proposed route. No more tram!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

JFairfax posted:

you cannot get a train directly from south of the river to north of the river, you have to change at temple meads. madness.
This is a good thing because people who live south of the river are unsettling web-footed abominations and must be kept away from normal people insofar as possible.

e: Also, when comparing public transport available in cities you have to consider their populations because an investment that is economically sound with a large population to serve won't necessarily make sense with a much smaller one. For example, people have been comparing british cities to Hong Kong (pop 7m), Chicago (pop ~3m) and New York (pop ~8m). The largest UK city outside London is Birmingham, whose population barely breaks 1m.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 8, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this is slanderous.

BS3 superiority.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Shadow Over Winford.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

JFairfax posted:

when you say working on, do you mean 'talking about' ?

because they've been talking about it since the 1990s

talking about is probably a better phrasing

it finished the second round of consultations last december

https://travelwest.info/projects/metrowest

i honestly believe they will do this, it's not planned to be operational till 2020 at the earliest, but it will be more useful than the loving metrobus

the new estate they're building at cribbs/patchway is having easy rail access planned as well

BS8 reppin'

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Looke posted:

talking about is probably a better phrasing

it finished the second round of consultations last december

https://travelwest.info/projects/metrowest

i honestly believe they will do this, it's not planned to be operational till 2020 at the earliest, but it will be more useful than the loving metrobus

BS8 reppin'

oh sweet naive child

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

it'll be real i swear!!11

being honest though both metrorail and metrobus were huge vanity projects by the gently caress in the red trousers

the metrorail would be good and nice though

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Zephro posted:

At least our farmers still keep hedges. I wonder if that's going to be an unhappy consequence of Brexit - didn't the EU incentivise farmers to keep land fallow and various other measures to protect biodiversity?

Re nimbyism, flooding is a huge problem for new builds, as are unscrupulous developers. I haven't lived in *that* many places, and I can think of three modern developments that have either been torn down or had huge amounts of remedial work due to bodging the conditions for building.

I agree that it's a false dichotomy between housing people and building on the green belt, but I think much of the opposition would disappear if houses were built sympathetically to the existing ones. It's perfectly possible to have either flatpack houses that look acceptable in a rural setting:

Or modern houses that meet all the energy standards but still look like old cottages:

A picture postcard village near where I grew up had a bunch of prominent new houses, but because they were painted the same, and had the same character as those around them, there was surprise, acceptance and general nodding of heads about how it was a good thing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Those houses don't look like affordable houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/829129993984888835

On the topic, multiple people have said lately that an IndyRef campaign needs to really be tight on the economic stance.
Whether or not it's true, or could happen, any time any trade amount with England is brought up, Sturgeon should just point out the FTA May wants with the EU and just say if that is May's stance, I'm sure we could work out the same for Scotland. Boom, no more Little Englanders talking about how much Scotland relies on English trade, because if they dismiss the possibility, they'll need to admit May's hope of FTA with other countries is similarly ridiculous.

• Locked thread