Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That's the beauty of a game like Factorio; there is never, ever one single solution. You don't even need to use a bus! Or belts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alternatively, upgrade your belts if you haven't already?

A saturated yet moving yellow belt can move ~8 items/second. A red belt is 16 and a blue belt is 24.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So on the surface your issue is you're belt bandwidth is at capacity at your furnaces. First you can improve that by upgrading your belts, each level doubles bandwidth. Next ensure your belts are fully saturated on both sides. Once you're almost entirely full inserters will occasionally miss a spot. To prevent that have the final inserter (or final two or four) output into an enterence to an underground belt that immediately resurfaces. As far as game logic is concerned, instead of trying to place it at an open spot on a belt you can instead imagine it as dumping items in a hole. As long as there is mathanaticly room to dump an item in it will, irregardless of where that one spot is open, leading to a saturated belt on the output.

If you have your assemblers filling one side of a belt and want to fill both, find a point right about where the belt is full, use the underground belt trick to ensure they side is full, then do a jog in the belt and force it to side load onto the interior side of the belt as it continues, the inserters will always output to the far side.

If you need to balance the load between two sides of a belt put it in a splitter, have them pull apart then sideload together again back to one belt.

Now that you have full saturation coming from your source you can use splitter logic to determine how much each branch of your bus gets. If you split one belt into two you'll get exactly half on each until one side backs up. If you split, then split again, and rejoin half of the second to the first with another splitter (this time combining two into one) you'll get 25% branches off.

If everything is running eventually your branches will only be getting 25% of 50% of 50% of etc. which is practicly nothing. At that point it's best to let the line die and simply run a new line from the source. Running multiple lines parallel and cycling which one is the branch point aliviates this.

At some point you'll seek the final evolution. Which is a train unloading into a logistic network whose only purpose is to serve immediately adjacent specialized beacons factory's. Which eliminates the need for belts at all.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Just do what I do and embrace the spaghetti mayhem: Splitter near where your copper belt is totally saturated, then a belt line that snakes around your factory and connects to where the copper belt is low.

After 40 hours of gameplay you'll finally start looking at that solution and it'll drive you insane until you impulsively order your bots to deconstruct everything

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you play Factorio long enough you'll go mad and summon Cthulhu.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

RoboJoe posted:

I've had my eye on this game for a while and a couple of weeks ago I finally gave in and bought it. It is the most amazing game I have ever played, I haven't been able to stop playing it at all because it's so addictive. I love city builders like Anno and Sim City so this really gets my logistic juice flowing.

I've managed to work out a fair bit myself and reading this topic (even though I still haven't touched the wires and logistic system beyond building huge numbers of robots and roboports), however I have a have a problem I'm not sure how I can deal with.

Near the end of my main resource bus belt, the items (copper plates right now) that I need a lot of to make other things like green circuits, are low in volume but way back near the start of the bus as they come out of the smelter area they are very high in volume, with the copper plates barely moving off the smelters because I have so many.

How can I improve this so more of the copper is getting to where it's needed further along the bus? Should I have multiple belts leading up through my base, or a dedicated line from the smelters to problem areas such as the green circuit production?
There are two quick options that don't involve refactoring your whole base:

1) Faster belts or more parallel belts down the bus (with splitters to balance between them)
2) Smelt more ore somewhere else and refresh the bus halfway through

Other broad options you might consider (possibly next game, or if you move your factory):

1) Bus higher level components, such as gear wheels and green circuits. This raises the effective capacity of your belts since more effective resources per unit get moved. If you decide to federate parts of your base and make things remotely with train stations, these components become a natural thing to outsource.
2) Order things on the bus by priority of production
3) Deliberately rate-limit the ability of earlier parts of the bus to consume things to avoid starving the line later (such as slower input belts for the consumers or output chests with most receptacles blocked off)
4) Outsource more and more things. The eventual end state of this could even be a completely modular base where each consumer requests resources that can come from anywhere (either a logistics system for simple low volume things or a smart train system for high-volume megafactories)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

M_Gargantua posted:

If everything is running eventually your branches will only be getting 25% of 50% of 50% of etc. which is practicly nothing. At that point it's best to let the line die and simply run a new line from the source. Running multiple lines parallel and cycling which one is the branch point aliviates this.

It won't work out this cleanly if you're oversaturating your earlier branches, though. Your first branch that uses copper plates probably can't handle 50% of your output, which means the belts feeding it will back up and stop accepting new inputs. The splitter will only end up feeding its rate of consumption and everything else will carry on down the bus line.

This also means one brainded solution to the problem is just to brute force it and make sure you're ramming enough poo poo down the bus that everything is getting more than they need, which I'd assume works just fine until you're at fully upgraded belts with no room to add a new line and still can't manage enough throughput.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Great, thanks for all the advice everyone, that helps me out a lot. I do need to figure out more optimum ways of moving around things my factory consumes in huge amounts so you've all given me lots of think about.

I'll probably split the source from my smelters and have a dedicated line going up to the green circuit production area (because bloody hell do those eat copper and iron at a phenomenal rate and I'm constantly running out), that seems possibly the best solution for now at least.

Voyager I posted:

This also means one brainded solution to the problem is just to brute force it and make sure you're ramming enough poo poo down the bus that everything is getting more than they need, which I'd assume works just fine until you're at fully upgraded belts with no room to add a new line and still can't manage enough throughput.

This is part of the problem I have, all my belts are blue and not enough gets to the end but it's still backing up at the smelters.

I pretty much have most things set to requester and passive chests with huge clouds of logistic bots flying over my base delivering the majority of items to various factories which is usually end goods like filter inserters which are made in a separate complex that gets iron and copper delivered by belt, but the finished items are taken away by bots.

Although I can very clearly see parts of my base I just want to strip down entirely and rebuild better elsewhere or fix somehow...

I have also discovered the joy of Flamethrowers and biter nests. Combined with power armour, fusion generators, shields, and 5 pairs of legs I am a sprinting fireball of doom :getin:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If it's backed up at production, and you're not saturating consumption, then you've got a bottleneck somewhere. Either you simply don't have enough belts on the bus to handle what you're making, or there's somewhere non-obvious where you're merging belts and reducing throughput.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Voyager I posted:

until you're at fully upgraded belts with no room to add a new line and still can't manage enough throughput.

If you failed to plan a wide enough belt you can just blueprint the less populated side of factories, strip them out and slam them back down 10 or so tiles further and MAKE room. Alternatively, you can setup another train stop for a fresh metal producing unit further down the line and merge it into your depleted belt or pull a belt from your original smelting operation all the way around your factory to merge it back in at the desired point.

This of course will harm your perfect autism factory's aesthetics so you should just pick it up and move things a few tiles.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Alkydere posted:

Alternatively, upgrade your belts if you haven't already?

A saturated yet moving yellow belt can move ~8 items/second. A red belt is 16 and a blue belt is 24.

I feel compelled to correct these numbers. A saturated blue belt will move 40 items per tile per second, or 20 per lane. Red belts are 2/3s that (26.6...) and yellow belts are 1/3 (13.3...).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Estimated release pushed back to end of march, an interesting look at the new recipe/tech complexity feature, and some optimisations: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-177

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm glad they're taking the time to make sure 0.15 is as polished as possible and all the 0.14 bugs have been handled -- that's the level of quality we've come to expect from them.

On the other hand, I really want to play 0.15.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

alexandrun85 posted:

Feb 10 @ 9:23am
i SITLL DONT GET WHY IT TAKES YOU GUYS AGES TO BRING new content tot his game? I mean there are only 2 people working on it? Its been what over 6 months untill you actually introdcued something new to the game? All i see that youre team is isck or how they spend their holiday but i dont see as someone who bought the game porgress ... all i see is pictures and Friday facts that dont really do anything for me ....im kinda dissapointed of how this game evolves because im very fond of it ... but it seems there is no intresest from the devs to actually finish it .....

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
As someone who finally gave in and bought this game and was immediately sucked in and addicted, have the devs said what their idea of "finished" is going to be? I've barely scratched the surface and there's seems like a poo poo ton of content.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that cheeky oval office. I've been watching this game since it was mainly placeholder graphics and only had 6 or so different items you could place. these are some of the best devs I've had the pleasure of backing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Loopoo posted:

these are some of the best devs I've had the pleasure of backing.

Yeah.

...weeeeeeell, except for that time they used the game's weekly blog post to rant about taxes being theft and EU grants a slippery slope to a hellscape where Big Government tells us what games we're allowed to play.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

that cheeky oval office. I've been watching this game since it was mainly placeholder graphics and only had 6 or so different items you could place. these are some of the best devs I've had the pleasure of backing.

Pass out the pitchforks and torches, raise the mob and burn the unbeliever! Mind you, the guy seems barely literate so WTF do you expect?

With 0.15 delayed a bit, I've reloaded all my old saves, updated mods and saved fresh files now 0.14 is nice and stable. That should make the transition smoother when it does get released. Of course my Angels/Bobs game with over 3 days played comes up as 'corrupted file'. I have a feeling the file is fine but the author has changed so much since I loaded it last November that it's dying.

One save I've been playing round with is with platforms. Not having infinite open space to build in really makes you break the usual build habits and it pretty much forces heavy train usage. RSO supports it now too but I'm not using Factorissimo for since that would negate the whole jist of it.

Conversion of the start platform into furnace plus circuits

Start of the oil refinery - platform that just manages to fit 5 refineries

Qubee
May 31, 2013

it's always painful loading up games I haven't touched in months, cause they're always massive sprawling factories with so many moving parts. it's hard to remember what I was working on, until I get the reminder via biter invasion that I was working on reinforcing a weak segment of my wall.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

robziel posted:

As someone who finally gave in and bought this game and was immediately sucked in and addicted, have the devs said what their idea of "finished" is going to be? I've barely scratched the surface and there's seems like a poo poo ton of content.

If they literally just stopped now and said boom, finished, it would be $15 tremendously well spent.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
One of my friends an I are planning on banging out a multipler game - what would some fun mods be?

To give some useful info, we klike trains and so probably RSO, but stuff that changes up the game a bit would be good (platforms?)

Bob's mod is probably to much.

Shortlist so far:

advanced-logistics-system_0.4.0.zip
blueprint-string_4.0.0.zip
building-platform-tweaks_1.0.2.zip
building-platform_1.0.5.zip
EvoGUI_0.4.108.zip
factorio_mods0-14.7z
FARL_0.7.4.zip
Landfill_2.1.11.zip
Orbital Ion Cannon_1.4.5.zip
Ore Expansion_1.0.4.zip
RailTanker_1.4.0.zip
ShuttleTrain_1.1.4.zip
SmartTrains_1.1.7.zip
TheFatController_1.0.2.zip
upgrade-planner_1.2.14.zip

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 12, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Today I learned that the resource placement algorithm seems to place the water last, and it has no regard for the existing resources. So if you play with high water levels and low other resources, it's entirely possible they get covered entirely by water.

The result of this was a single oil patch across an enormous distance. I gave up.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

RyokoTK posted:

If they literally just stopped now and said boom, finished, it would be $15 tremendously well spent.

From what little I've seen I totally agree, I was just wondering if the devs had said anything about what they want to add.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They seem to have a roadmap but are not publicizing it because its in permanent flux, like how orbital platforms seemed to have come and gone. The general temperature is that we are really close to 1.0 and after a few more major content revisions they'll probably buckle down on interface stuff for a year.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

One of my friends an I are planning on banging out a multipler game - what would some fun mods be?

To give some useful info, we klike trains and so probably RSO, but stuff that changes up the game a bit would be good (platforms?)

Bob's mod is probably to much.

Shortlist so far:

advanced-logistics-system_0.4.0.zip
blueprint-string_4.0.0.zip
building-platform-tweaks_1.0.2.zip
building-platform_1.0.5.zip
EvoGUI_0.4.108.zip
factorio_mods0-14.7z
FARL_0.7.4.zip
Landfill_2.1.11.zip
Orbital Ion Cannon_1.4.5.zip
Ore Expansion_1.0.4.zip
RailTanker_1.4.0.zip
ShuttleTrain_1.1.4.zip
SmartTrains_1.1.7.zip
TheFatController_1.0.2.zip
upgrade-planner_1.2.14.zip

KBlueprint is a better replacement for blueprint string - it lets you save/load collections of BPs and will import blueprint string ones too.
building-platform-tweaks is not necessary if you use the railway tanker. Plus the tanker is superior to barrels anyway (that should get the eternal barrel/tanker debate burning again)
Landfill is now part of the base game, remove it.
TheFatController is now part of the base game, remove it.

For an MP game, you'll want black box or gravestones so you can die/kill each other without losing all your poo poo.

Some mods I like to use:

autofill
Chainsaw
Concrete lamp
EvoGUI
Flowcontrol
KS_Power
Laser beam turrets
Sane concrete
RobotCleanup
Warehousing
YARM

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

robziel posted:

From what little I've seen I totally agree, I was just wondering if the devs had said anything about what they want to add.

This is their roadmap to 0.16, which is their current candidate for "build 1.0". They also have vague plans for post-1.0 development, including space platforms.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ratzap posted:

For an MP game, you'll want black box or gravestones so you can die/kill each other without losing all your poo poo.

I want to emphasise this. Get the Black Box mod. There is nothing more annoying then losing your entire inventory when you die.

Dying in the middle of a biter nest and having to run back in to get your stuff back is more fun than having to start over. Also, it feels a little like Dark Souls.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

zedprime posted:

They seem to have a roadmap but are not publicizing it because its in permanent flux, like how orbital platforms seemed to have come and gone. The general temperature is that we are really close to 1.0 and after a few more major content revisions they'll probably buckle down on interface stuff for a year.

Tenebrais posted:

This is their roadmap to 0.16, which is their current candidate for "build 1.0". They also have vague plans for post-1.0 development, including space platforms.

Ahhh cool, thank you both.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is there a tech or mod that gives your little guy flying? i.e. same as "god mode" but with a dude

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Putting together a MP modpack for someone who wanted to try bobs + angels
:stonklol:

It's the minecraft sperg mods all over again. I like it :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Putting together a MP modpack for someone who wanted to try bobs + angels
:stonklol:

It's the minecraft sperg mods all over again. I like it :allears:

Just grab Arumba's modpack with angels ores and bobs mods. Easy package, has everything. (It's spergy kitchen sink poo poo)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Solumin posted:

I want to emphasise this. Get the Black Box mod. There is nothing more annoying then losing your entire inventory when you die.

Dying in the middle of a biter nest and having to run back in to get your stuff back is more fun than having to start over. Also, it feels a little like Dark Souls.

Yeah we slammed this in. Massive improvement particularly because I blindly wander into trains on an hourly basis

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah we slammed this in. Massive improvement particularly because I blindly wander into trains on an hourly basis

Yeah, even with honk you can get to the point where there is a never ending screech and still get hit by trains.

This can be avoided if you plan around where your train nexus is going to go instead of putting several tracks through your base but I can't be bothered to move it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
okay im super loving digging bobs + angels but how the gently caress do i filter my loving ore holy gently caress im doing this manually

im so far away from filter inserters its like some caveman looking up into the sky and seeing a B-52

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Baloogan posted:

okay im super loving digging bobs + angels but how the gently caress do i filter my loving ore holy gently caress im doing this manually

im so far away from filter inserters its like some caveman looking up into the sky and seeing a B-52

Loaders. The other option is to run your crushed outputs past a series of assemblers set to make stone. They'll pull crushed stone out and process it for you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Baloogan posted:

I think the ratio is two assemblers making stone per ore crusher, but the inserters will only grabbed the crushed stone from the belt and leave the ore.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
pretty sure this is the reason the angels pack has those mondo silos available right from the start

just put one right next to each assembler, it'll eventually fill up with junk byproducts but by that time you should have unlocked some other ways to deal with the issue

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kinetica posted:

Yeah, even with honk you can get to the point where there is a never ending screech and still get hit by trains.

This can be avoided if you plan around where your train nexus is going to go instead of putting several tracks through your base but I can't be bothered to move it

I just don't pay attention, I'll be thinking about something or talking on VOIP and realise I died at some point.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

My project is almost ready:

Just need to add the pit lane, roboports, belts, the lap timer, and a bit more signage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Roflex posted:

My project is almost ready:

Just need to add the pit lane, roboports, belts, the lap timer, and a bit more signage.

Did you put that all down by hand?!

Also, I'm thinking of how awesome Factorio would be if the devs added some sort of road-laying machine. You hop in, start driving, and it'll automatically put down concrete from it's inventory at a designated width you provide. Would allow you to connect outposts via road network which would be fantastic. I hate the current method of hopping in a car and doing it by hand cause I always end up with wonky roads which triggers my OCD.