Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ImpAtom posted:

Green skinned is way better. Poison Ivy works best when she's weird and inhuman I think.

I disagree on that reasoning. Ivy is better as a mastermind along the lines of Hugo Strange, not a bruiser like Croc or Clayface.

Green skin is hawt, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, the black bodysuit looked really synthetic. Ivy covering up is an interesting choice that I'd like to see explored more, but it seems weird that she'd put on a sort of secret agent/tech villain-looking outfit to do it. Like, her using a leaf pattern instead of real leaves is very odd.

Maybe it's some kind of alien plant, like a vegetable version of Venom.

HitTheTargets posted:

Green skin is hawt, though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like the green skin as a visual clue that Ivy sees herself closer to plants than to humans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If she has green skin people will clearly confuse her with Gamora/She-Hulk/generic green lady.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Just like with every other super hero costume. The 90s animated series version is still the best:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mr President posted:

Just like with every other super hero costume. The 90s animated series version is still the best:

Bisexuals are ok with you? Or is it just women because you are a pig?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Bisexuals are ok with you? Or is it just women because you are a pig?

what?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i'm a pig

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently this week's Hal Jordan has Space Cabbie in it.
Don't tempt me into trying this comic :(

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I liked Arkham video game Ivy a lot.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do iiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

It has been a good comic.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Patton Oswalt was the voice of Space Cabbie in a recent Justice League Action episode.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

It has been a good comic.

Is it better than the previous Robert Vendetti GL series that generally people disliked?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr President posted:

Is it better than the previous Robert Vendetti GL series that generally people disliked?

Why did people dislike it? Was there a gay character in it or something?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Why did people dislike it? Was there a gay character in it or something?

No just a lot of Hal Jordan.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Easy, folks. Racism is the new topic.

Gene Luen is re-introducing the yellow peril from the cover of Detective Comics #1 in New Super-Man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9ed3fffa956f

quote:

When originally offered the chance to write a new, Chinese Superman for DC Comics, writer and MacArthur “genius grant” recipient Gene Luen Yang turned down the opportunity because he felt the series could be a “cultural and political land mine.”

After changing his mind and becoming the writer on “New Super-Man,” Yang is now set to reintroduce one of DC Comics’ oldest bad guys, who some might say is the embodiment of political incorrectness.

Ching Lung, whose appearance on the cover of the very first issue of Detective Comics back in 1937 predates the first appearance of Superman in 1938, will appear on the final pages of “New Super-Man” No. 8 (available Feb. 8 both in print and digitally).

Ching Lung will go up against Chinese Superman Kong Kenan and the Justice League of China, a group of young teen superheroes that includes the Batman and Wonder Woman of China.

Ching Lung is considered now to be a “yellow peril villain,” as he was originally designed to fuel the fears some Americans had of the Chinese in the 1930s. So he may be a surprising choice to bring into a series that has embraced diversity and fit into a market trend of taking famous superhero mantles and placing them on new characters of color — even if he’s coming in as an antagonist.

But Yang, who is Chinese American, said he felt the character fits into DC’s “rebirth” era, which has re-energized DC’s fan base by going back to the characters’ basics, after the polarizing New 52 era of constant reinvention. Yang said the reset approach shouldn’t only apply to the publisher’s good aspects.

“If Rebirth is about embracing the history of the DC universe, then we do have to go back to the very beginning, right?” Yang told The Post’s Comic Riffs. “If we really want to embrace who we are as Americans, we have to look at both the good and the bad and the pretty and the ugly of our history. If rebirth is about reclaiming a lot of DC’s past, we also have to examine some of the ugly stuff, too. So that’s what we’re hoping to do.”

What’s also surprising is that the design of Ching Lung in “New Super-Man” almost mirrors his original 1930s design, which may seem offensive to modern eyes (and is very different from the typical style of “New Super-Man” artist Billy Tan). That is intentional. After trying out new, more modern designs, Yang thought it best to go back to the original one.

“I thought if we redesign Ching Lung, we will actually be introducing a new form of yellow peril. And that is definitely something that I was not interested in doing,” Yang said. “The purpose is not necessarily to kick up old stereotypes as it is to comment on them. My hope is at the end of all of the story line, the entire long arc that deals with Ching Lung, that a reader will be able to see it as both a comment on the past and evidence of how far we’ve come.” (Lung appears on the last page of No. 8, and his story line won’t be revealed until later issues.)

That’s not to say that Yang and his editors at DC Comics didn’t struggle with the decision to bring back Ching Lung.

“We were very thoughtful about [the return of Ching Lung],” Yang said. “I think that the two dominant emotions that I had going into the publication of issue No. 8, is a little bit of fear, I’m worried about how the readers are going to take to it, and the second is, I feel proud. I feel proud of playing a small part in the history of DC Comics and the history of American comics in general.”

Yang also pointed out that the character shows how far DC Comics has come.

“DC began with this yellow-peril image,” Yang said. “It’s basically a two-dimensional stereotype that was used to dehumanize an entire people. And now DC has taken its most important symbol, the Superman S, and stuck it on a Chinese character. Now we’re creating this three-dimensional Chinese hero.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's hope for all those people who cry-babied about the IM3 Mandarin!

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I might start actually reading New Super Man now. I like writers who have the balls to tackle these things rather than run away and hide from a company's history (yea I'm looking at you Disney) Props to them for not trying to modernize the character or do it in a weird ironic manner like they did with egg fu in 52.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
My uncle works for DC and he told me they're making Ching Lung a lithrosexual

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuns with Guns posted:

My uncle works for DC and he told me they're making Ching Lung a lithrosexual

I heard he's now an advocate of LGBTQA rights in Asia which puts him at odds with the Chinese government sanctioned team

SMP
May 5, 2009

Mr President posted:

I might start actually reading New Super Man now. I like writers who have the balls to tackle these things rather than run away and hide from a company's history (yea I'm looking at you Disney) Props to them for not trying to modernize the character or do it in a weird ironic manner like they did with egg fu in 52.

youre right, disney should keep producing minstrel cartoons imo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can only get into comics after they reference a racist cover from the 30s

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

I can only get into comics after they reference a racist cover from the 30s

If that's targeted at me I've been reading DC since the 90s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr President posted:

I heard he's now an advocate of LGBTQA rights in Asia which puts him at odds with the Chinese government sanctioned team

Only because China refuses to acknowledge the full asexual spectrum

the asextrum

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr President posted:

If that's targeted at me I've been reading DC since the 90s

I don't care

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr President posted:

Your gimmick is old. Stop posting here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's a fine post :shrug: It's a shame that you didn't read it already cause it's just a fun comic book, but they are advertising this to get people interested, and it is real bold and interesting.

For Disney, I would say Iron Man 3 did something interesting in pretty much destroying The Mandarin as a legitimate modern character.

Now, in the new Ducktales cartoon, if Donald acknowledged his role in racist wartime propaganda, that'd be tight.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 8, 2017

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I have vast problems with the new Snagglepuss thing. Why the gently caress are spies after him? Why does m15 or whatever want with a old gay pink mountain lion? Did David Cameron gently caress him too and they want to bury the fact the pig fucker is also a furry?

I wish I was making this up but what the loving hell? Like dropping the thin subtext makes total sense, even if part of the fun of the character was how thin that line between subtext and text was, but the dumb thriller espionage elements just reeks of modern bullshit editorial making. Can't there just be a loving funny book does everything have to have a serious or very defined parameter? Do executives really think there is a possible film franchise to be milked of all goes well of Snagglepuss commenting on the Bond films?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Boy. You can tell a lot from one preview page. That's impressive.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Boy. You can tell a lot from one preview page. That's impressive.

It's from the history of the HB line and the blurb they put up. With Flintstones, it made sense because it was always a modern sitcom. Modern sitcoms have gotten more serious. For the rest of the line these decisions don't make sense and just seem weird and off putting ways to making poo poo hip and sexy.

I have similar thoughts on Riverdale. Why the gently caress does there need to be a Dark and Serious Archie?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
to give more context to Ching Lung's return;

Chinese Super-Man Rights Wrong Dating Back To 1937

Why is the Chinese Superman getting a villain who’s a Chinese stereotype? It’s all part of a plan.

looks to me like things are getting rather Hypercrisis in here

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

I have similar thoughts on Riverdale. Why the gently caress does there need to be a Dark and Serious Archie?

Because it's funny that way. Incongruity is great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 8, 2017

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

I have vast problems with the new Snagglepuss thing. Why the gently caress are spies after him? Why does m15 or whatever want with a old gay pink mountain lion? Did David Cameron gently caress him too and they want to bury the fact the pig fucker is also a furry?

uh

do you think the House Un-American Activities Committee was like S.H.I.E.L.D. or something?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I really like New Super Man and all the characters that have been introduced in it, definitely the surprise stand-out of the Superman Family line. The sales numbers are getting pretty sad though so I'm not sure it's long for the world, I hope he sticks around in some capacity even if the book comes to an end.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a reminder to anyone who might be worried about how Yang might handle this, please read American born Chinese, or if you want a more superhero feel read the The Shadow Hero which is reimagining of the first Chinese superhero in American comics.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 8, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Because it's funny that way. Incongruity is great.
This is the sort of attitude that spawns a million Just Two Things shirts, mid 2000s Teen Titans, and all of these lovely Hanna Barbera revamp comics.

Riverdale is pretty firmly Not My Thing just based on the TV genres they're working in, but "ha ha, it's Archie but everyone is divorced! Miss Grundy is a sexual predator!" is not like, good or funny as a thing unto itself. Again, I don't think I'm equipped to judge how well Archie stacks up to I don't even know, Melrose Place? Pretty Little Liars? Desperate Housewives? because that's not something I watch. Though to bring it back to comics and bad "Incongruity" I assume I'm still the only one who read Joe "I've Never Met a Pair of Sunglasses or Faux-Edgy Thing I Didn't Love" Casey's Automatic Kafka where he spent like the better part of a an issue doing this big long "Charlie Brown is a middle aged suicidal cuckold and Linus had a panic attack and murdered Snoopy so no one talks about him but when Lucy gets real pilled up she blurts poo poo out about Linus and Schroeder bludgeons her with a bust of Beethoven and I dunno, maybe Sally is a prostitute and a murder suspect" that was meant to be a parable about how work for hire is so sad and bad and even when Charles Schulz is gone some hack will take over Peanuts and run it forever and ever and ever.

I guess what I'm saying is "ha ha, INCONGRUITY" is just kind of dumb if there's no point to it, but it's extra dumb when someone tries to make a point with it and fails spectacularly.

And yeah, Gene Yang is super cool. It's American Born Chinese though! Unless the logo works like R.E.M.'s Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables of the etc, which it may well do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

And yeah, Gene Yang is super cool. It's American Born Chinese though! Unless the logo works like R.E.M.'s Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables of the etc, which it may well do.

Thanks for the catch. I edited to match the real title.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't think I'm equipped to judge

And yet

edit: I didn't read 'Archie as a brooding CW teen soap' rub my hands together going "How deliciously delightful" as a fan on the spot. I'm in my 30's and haven't watched a soap since Dawson's.
The 'This is Archie?!' aspect is there. It's a fun flavor for the show (just like in that horror comic line they do,) but it works for it's self, which is why it's good (just like with that horror comic line they do.)

Very sorry for not being clear that incongruity doesn't work in 100% of cases. I would like to avoid your wrath if possible.
But I think weird ideas work out well often enough that it's silly to get as worked up as that guy in the face of it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So getting back to the Justice Lord Superman from a few pages ago. Was that ever confirmed as actually happening? Because the comic panel that someone posted was from a Justice League Beyond issue.