Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

VJeff posted:

He can beat Sami Zayn clean. That's it.

Jobbers don't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
So during last week's Raw when Strowman was beating upTHE BIG DOG, they kept framing shots with the Wrestlemania logo prominently in the background. Seemed sort of intentional to me, but maybe a half step too clever for WWE. Have there been any reports about changes to the Taker-Reigns angle or is that still penciled in?

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 9, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Professor Funk posted:

So during last week's Raw when Strowman was beating upTHE BIG DOG, they kept framing shots with the Wrestlemania logo prominently in the background. Seemed sort of intentional to me, but maybe a half step too clever for WWE. Have there been any reports about changes to the Taker-Reigns angle or is that still penciled in?

This week's Observer mentioned that no plans have changed.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
(Obligatory disclaimer) Odds don't matter until the smart money's in, but here's 5Dimes reading the room early on.

code:

Bray Wyatt -1200
John Cena +300
AJ Styles +850
Baron Corbin +1800
Dean Ambrose +2250
The Miz +2250

Nikki Bella -380
Natalya +260

American Alpha -280
The Usos +250
Heath Slater & Rhyno +800
The Ascension +800
Breezango +1000
The Vaudevillains +1400

Alexa Bliss -380
Naomi +260

Mickie James -365
Becky Lynch +255

Dolph Ziggler -190
Apollo Crews & Kalisto +150

Randy Orton -600
Luke Harper +400
So yeah, no surprises so far. Hopefully they change their mind and Dolph loses like the loser geek he is.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's kind of funny though because Crews just beat Dolph on his own and now at the PPV Dolph will beat two guys. WWE logic.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
He'll win as a result of a miscommunication between Crews and Kalisto, placing the two of them into a red-hot feud that will finally elevate them both into main event territory.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, literally none of that is surprising.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sticklefifer posted:

It's kind of funny though because Crews just beat Dolph on his own and now at the PPV Dolph will beat two guys. WWE logic.

It's really a no-win situation for everyone involved. If Kalisto/Crews win, who cares, it's just Dolph and they had the 2-1 advantage. If Dolph wins, the other guys are even bigger geeks for losing with a 2-1 advantage.

This whole feud was a bad idea from the start. Dolph isn't getting any heel heat, because the guys he's feuding with don't have any face heat. If they were hoping that this would elevate Kalisto and Crews, well, they must be disappointed by now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Alvarez said something that resonated with me today. When Ziggler was beating on the guys with a chair, the audience chanted ONE MORE TIME and literally all Dolph had to do was raise the chair, then toss it aside to get heel heat. Neville did this perfectly on Monday by setting up for a tope and then stopping right at the ropes.

Anyway, I'd take those odds for the Usos. I can't see what the SD program for Mania is besides Usos and AA. I wonder if The Revival would be favorites if they hadn't shown up in the latest NXT taping. :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

VJeff posted:

Alvarez said something that resonated with me today. When Ziggler was beating on the guys with a chair, the audience chanted ONE MORE TIME and literally all Dolph had to do was raise the chair, then toss it aside to get heel heat. Neville did this perfectly on Monday by setting up for a tope and then stopping right at the ropes.

When Neville turned heel, he changed his entire character, entrance and moveset, because he's loving smart and knows how to work crowds for heel heat.

Dolph turned heel, kept the same entrance and moveset, and is basically the same loser geek he was before, except he 's losing matches as a heel instead of a face now. Nothing else has changed about the character, and big surprise, nobody gives a poo poo about him.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dean is like early-mid 2000's Jericho. Not on the level of Cena, Reigns, or Styles, but just below that. I'd argue KO is more of a midcarder than Dean, which is really damning for Raw.
KO and Dean come from similar backgrounds in terms of the types of matches they wrestled on the indies. That KO is better suited to being an upper card guy in WWE than Ambrose is simply because (booking aside) he's comfortable playing "fat, loudmouthed rear end in a top hat." I don't agree with his booking but I believe his character when he says and does things. Also when he's asked to deliver in big matches, whether he wins or loses he always comes across as a violent sack of garbage.

Ambrose is weird in that he alludes to being violent and unhinged and all this poo poo but then when it comes to his big matches it just... doesn't happen? Like, god bless Jericho for taking that tack bump when he didn't need to but that's the closest we've come to seeing Ambrose make good on the threats he delivers. And that disconnect kinda matters. Either let him have those matches once in a blue moon so his words mean something or don't and shift the character toward something else. Where they're at now just doesn't make sense.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dean spent years destroying his body in CZW garbage brawls, I bet he's just happy to get WWE money for PG-sanitized versions of his wrestling style.

Wrestle The Miz at half-speed every week for guaranteed downside, or take light tubes to the balls for beer money at best? Seems like an easy choice to me.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 10, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sugar Blaster posted:

KO and Dean come from similar backgrounds in terms of the types of matches they wrestled on the indies. That KO is better suited to being an upper card guy in WWE than Ambrose is simply because (booking aside) he's comfortable playing "fat, loudmouthed rear end in a top hat." I don't agree with his booking but I believe his character when he says and does things. Also when he's asked to deliver in big matches, whether he wins or loses he always comes across as a violent sack of garbage.

Ambrose is weird in that he alludes to being violent and unhinged and all this poo poo but then when it comes to his big matches it just... doesn't happen? Like, god bless Jericho for taking that tack bump when he didn't need to but that's the closest we've come to seeing Ambrose make good on the threats he delivers. And that disconnect kinda matters. Either let him have those matches once in a blue moon so his words mean something or don't and shift the character toward something else. Where they're at now just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, they really oughta give Dean the opportunity to bust out once in a while. With a really extreme stipulation....

And it'd have to be on the biggest stage possible to guarantee it stuck in people's minds....

And you need an opponent that's the polar opposite of Dean, somebody that's just a pure wrestling machine, to contrast Dean's violent use of foreign objects, yet still tough enough to be a threat to Dean even with those objects...

....ah, I'm drawin' a blank.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

VJeff posted:

Yeah, they really oughta give Dean the opportunity to bust out once in a while. With a really extreme stipulation....

And it'd have to be on the biggest stage possible to guarantee it stuck in people's minds....

And you need an opponent that's the polar opposite of Dean, somebody that's just a pure wrestling machine, to contrast Dean's violent use of foreign objects, yet still tough enough to be a threat to Dean even with those objects...

don't worry, I've got the perfect guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yQsPE7pzNo

let's put the death back in deathmatch

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kurt actually came to mind as I was typing that and I became so loving sad that we'll never actually get that match. :smith:

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Nipponophile posted:

He'll win as a result of a miscommunication between Crews and Kalisto, placing the two of them into a red-hot feud that will finally elevate them both into Main Event territory.

ftfy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Benne posted:

Dean spent years destroying his body in CZW garbage brawls, I bet he's just happy to get WWE money for PG-sanitized versions of his wrestling style.

Wrestle The Miz at half-speed every week for guaranteed downside, or take light tubes to the balls for beer money at best? Seems like an easy choice to me.

I'm inclined to agree with this, Ambrose won the loving lottery going from the shitheap of CZW and paying his dues there to becoming an incredibly relevant character in the WWE. Granted he probably wanted to do more stuff like with the Brock match but I can't see him wanting to punish himself further. He should, however, bring a trash can of foreign objects with him constantly

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Do Smackdown guys show up on Main Event? I literally have no idea if those shows are split or not, or which brand got which, if they are.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So is Mickie winning the women's belt at Mania? I don't know where else that scene could be headed

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

So is Mickie winning the women's belt at Mania? I don't know where else that scene could be headed

I dunno, I can kinda see a four-way right now.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Mickie and Alexa both win :woop: but Natalya loses :saddowns: I guess we can't have ALL the heels win.

I am excited for the Smackdown PPV

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Becky should win and Nikki should lose.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Mickie just came back and must look strong, Becky can take the loss.

Plus Mickie's win might involve Alexa interference

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, a heel-heel feud going into Wrestlemania would be weird and bad, but a 4-way would do the trick nicely.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VJeff posted:

I dunno, I can kinda see a four-way right now.

it'd be a tremendous waste to have Mickie win instead of Becky

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MinibarMatchman posted:

it'd be a tremendous waste to have Mickie win instead of Becky

My honest guess is a multi-man match involving some assortment of Becky, Alexa, Naomi, Mickie and Natalya.

I mean hell, they could throw Carmella in there and make it a FIRST EVER WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP ladder match. That'd be kinda cool. Really rub it in Raw's face how every woman on SmackDown is a fairly legitimate contender while Raw can't even do more than one storyline for their women at once. :v:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 10, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

It's really a no-win situation for everyone involved. If Kalisto/Crews win, who cares, it's just Dolph and they had the 2-1 advantage. If Dolph wins, the other guys are even bigger geeks for losing with a 2-1 advantage.
The only good way out of this is to have a debut or some other heel come out to help Dolph to make it even, and then Dolph still loses because he's a bitchboy.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

When I was told about the Nikki/Cena vs Maryse/Miz match two Fatal Four Ways was the plan. With Becky finally getting her moment and winning the title.

Really hope they use Naomi in a prominent role past Black History month. She has been doing some of her best work recently. Also she came really close to quitting WWE late last year over being left off the Total Divas PR materials when it was nominated for some award. One of many slights she has been given over the years.

rovert fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 11, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rovert posted:

When I was told about the Nikki/Cena vs Maryse/Miz match two Fatal Four Ways was the plan. With Becky finally getting her moment and winning the title.

I'm honestly fine with the last part but don't see why fatal four ways for both women's titles was needed

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm honestly fine with the last part but don't see why fatal four ways for both women's titles was needed

The get them all on show ethic.

Personally was happy that Nikki is doing her own deal. As she would divide fans if her and Becky were in a match.

Since then Naomi has somewhat caught fire. She isn't the distinct #3 babyface anymore. Good for her too. She was set to win the title at Wrestlemania until Askana broke her orbital bone.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oooh just remembered the wet crunch that seemed to emanate off that knee.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah I remember Naomi having a lot of momentum before that injury

becky winning half the women's championship in the second fatal four-way of the night is a lovely excuse for a moment though lol

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm just glad The Miz gets a marquee match after the work he's done on Smackdown. Looking forward to him gloating about beating John Cena at Wrestlemania in the build-up

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The really dumb thing about that injury is that Oksana landed just fine, and then suddenly dropped her knee into Naomi's eye for no reason. God, she was terrible.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

VJeff posted:

Just have Dean do the Pentagon arm breaking spot to open up Smackdown every week to Curt Hawkins for two months, problem solved.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Updated betting odds from 5Dimes:

quote:

Randy Orton: -4500.
Luke Harper: +1500.

Apollo Crews and Kalisto .vs. Dolph Ziggler
Apollo and Kalisto: -1500
Dolph: +700

Becky Lynch .vs. Mickie James
Becky: -300
Mickie: +300

Alexa Bliss .vs. Naomi
Naomi: -490
Alexa: +330

Tag Team Turmoil Match
American Alpha: +6000
The Field: +2000

Nikki Bella .vs. Natalya
Nikki: -155
Natalya: +145

Elimination Chamber Match
Wyatt: -4500
The Field: +1500

I am all for Ziggler losing.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Does that mean Alexa could just be getting DQ'd or counted out?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
assuming that should be -6000 for American Alpha

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll be shocked if all 3 women's matches have clean finishes, they're almost certainly doing something to set up a 4-way title match at Mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alain Post posted:

assuming that should be -6000 for American Alpha

yep