Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

therattle posted:

You're kidding, right?

I don't care if he's Muslim. I'm Jewish and I enthusiastically voted for Sadiq Khan as London mayor over Zack Goldsmith. But if you are going to take in the Christian Right (and try and get undecided Christian voters) in an atmosphere poisoned by Islamaphobia, then a Muslim is going to lose you votes where a Christian will gain them, and will be able to articulate progressive policies in a way that appeals and is understandable to Christian voters.

Why do you think the Democrats need to try to take in the Christian Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Uh our last president was a Muslim though

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Why do you think the Democrats need to try to take in the Christian Right?

Seriously. It's going to be about who DIDN'T vote last time, not the people who are going to vote for their team no matter who the candidate is.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The only way Democrats will ever succeed in winning over Republican votes is if they actually focus on and fix economic issues. Hillary ran her entire campaign thinking she would appeal to "moderate Republicans" which worked in as much as she got a few rich people to switch to her. But she failed where it matters -- with the working class. Having a Christian or a Muslim as the DNC chair really isn't that important in the sense of winning voters, but Ellison would be a major statement not just on religion and anti-racism, but also on those economic issues where Dems actually can win back Republican voters.

Trying to steal the dogma of the Right with "well, actually Jesus was a Democrat" will never in a million years win back one single voter.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Democrats need to stop trying to appeal to Republicans, because that leads to poo poo like Trump getting elected. Instead, they should mobilize their base by pushing for actual progressive economic policies. Medicare For All is going to grab more voters than picking a Christian over a Muslim, because chances are that anyone who would be horrified by a Muslim running the DNC wouldn't be voting Democrat no matter what.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

I think outside of Athens

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Democrats need to stop trying to appeal to Republicans, because that leads to poo poo like Trump getting elected. Instead, they should mobilize their base by pushing for actual progressive economic policies. Medicare For All is going to grab more voters than picking a Christian over a Muslim, because chances are that anyone who would be horrified by a Muslim running the DNC wouldn't be voting Democrat no matter what.

Exactly this. It's also why we need to find a way to dump the oldhat neolibs like Pelosi.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The "Christian right" isn't actually Christian, that's a smokescreen. They voted in an obvious charlatan who very clearly relished in sin and hedonism and only converted to their faith in a transparent maneuver for political expedience, and who even still blasphemes on a daily basis. They love the poo poo out of that guy.

It wouldn't take much editing, maybe just a title card, to merge Menace II Society and Snow on tha Bluff into one long movie.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The democrats have been moving to the right and appealing to republicans since Reagan. Reagan beat them so bad they decided they couldn't win on even moderately leftist policies and decided to just be republicans but a little less bad. It's how we got a world of deregulation, decreased social services, harsh drug laws and massive incarceration and a corporate hand out healthcare reform despite having 16 years of democratic presidents in there.

Moving to the right and appealing to republicans didn't work it's time to try something else. Trying to be the sane, responsible party that comprises didn't work.

They hosed up a lot of other stuff too, like letting republicans take over state houses because they were focused on national politics.

It's not some simple "Hillary did this one thing and she failed" and we can just fix that and it's all good. They've been making a large number of mistakes for 40 years in a futile attempt to be something different than what their base wanted.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Anonymous Robot posted:

The "Christian right" isn't actually Christian, that's a smokescreen. They voted in an obvious charlatan who very clearly relished in sin and hedonism and only converted to their faith in a transparent maneuver for political expedience, and who even still blasphemes on a daily basis. They love the poo poo out of that guy.

Exactly, as Felix puts it:
https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/824372137490350080

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

You're kidding, right?

I don't care if he's Muslim. I'm Jewish and I enthusiastically voted for Sadiq Khan as London mayor over Zack Goldsmith. But if you are going to take in the Christian Right (and try and get undecided Christian voters) in an atmosphere poisoned by Islamaphobia, then a Muslim is going to lose you votes where a Christian will gain them, and will be able to articulate progressive policies in a way that appeals and is understandable to Christian voters.

This is just as backwards and wrong as the people who said Bernie had no chance of winning because he was Jewish. Appealing strictly to white religious conservatives is a dumb strategy.

TrixRabbi posted:

Exactly this. It's also why we need to find a way to dump the oldhat neolibs like Pelosi.

Pelosi needs to fall into a well or something.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Should I show :siren:MY:siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: John Wick (so we can go see the new one) or Fury (because she wants to kill nazis)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Should I show :siren:MY:siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: John Wick (so we can go see the new one) or Fury (because she wants to kill nazis)

John Wick because it's actually good *airhorn*

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

John Wick because it's actually good *airhorn*

Ya

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Huh. I wonder how far I'll have to drive to see John Wick 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm assuming not far?

Do you live in Fury Road's world?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

We're gonna get 6 inches of snow and freezing conditions tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should drive to see John Wick 2. (I probably will, duh)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CelticPredator posted:

I'm assuming not far?

Do you live in Fury Road's world?

I usually have to drive about an hour to see anything other than the biggest releases. Sometimes an hour and a half. It sucks rear end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm just waiting for somewhere around here to show the motherfucking Red Turtle because it's easily my most anticipated movie

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm probably going to rewatch John Wick tonight and go see the new one on Monday. The local Drafthouse is doing a double feature tomorrow and I wish I could go, but taking care of a sick kitty won't allow that much time away from home.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm probably going to rewatch John Wick tonight and go see the new one on Monday. The local Drafthouse is doing a double feature tomorrow and I wish I could go, but taking care of a sick kitty won't allow that much time away from home.

:( my cat puked yesterday in solidarity with your cat

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I dunno man I'm sorry about your cat but I saw back to back Raids at the DH and it was rad as hell pay a hobo to feed it.

God drat I miss that place :(

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Last weekend I was at a demonstration where some dude on the sidewalk started screaming at the black bloc that "IF YOU WOULD HAVE JUST VOTED FOR HILLARY YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE OUT HERE RIGHT NOW"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Last weekend I was at a demonstration where some dude on the sidewalk started screaming at the black bloc that "IF YOU WOULD HAVE JUST VOTED FOR HILLARY YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE OUT HERE RIGHT NOW"

don't you live in Massachusetts? very not a valid argument in this state.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:( my cat puked yesterday in solidarity with your cat

I hope everything goes okay with your cat! This Hepatic Lipidosis really sucks, but she's getting food and acting more energetic, and it is a reversible condition. It's just gonna take awhile for her to break down all the nasty poo poo and expel the bile from her system. Got another vet appointment on Friday to get her blood drawn to check her liver enzyme and bile levels, they'll probably show some improvement!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

don't you live in Massachusetts? very not a valid argument in this state.

Yeah, and also, part of his argument was "because you all voted for Bernie," so he was just confused all around.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

FishBulb posted:

The democrats have been moving to the right and appealing to republicans since Reagan. Reagan beat them so bad they decided they couldn't win on even moderately leftist policies and decided to just be republicans but a little less bad. It's how we got a world of deregulation, decreased social services, harsh drug laws and massive incarceration and a corporate hand out healthcare reform despite having 16 years of democratic presidents in there.

Moving to the right and appealing to republicans didn't work it's time to try something else. Trying to be the sane, responsible party that comprises didn't work.

They hosed up a lot of other stuff too, like letting republicans take over state houses because they were focused on national politics.

It's not some simple "Hillary did this one thing and she failed" and we can just fix that and it's all good. They've been making a large number of mistakes for 40 years in a futile attempt to be something different than what their base wanted.

The Dems kept moving to the right thinking there was a center to be won over, but in reality the center right just became more extreme and the wingnuts became full-blown doomsday race-war cultists.

Yeah, McGovern failed, but we're at a point where Neoliberalism has collapsed and the "moderates" have all chosen sides. The only moderates left are the money Democrats like Cory Booker and Diane Feinstein who vote against progressive ideals.

This is why "Bernie Would Have Won" isn't just a meme, it's an important message to get through the skulls of people like Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer. The left-wing in this country is no longer content to compromise and buy into Wall Street economics. The Republicans obviously made 8 years of petty obstructionism and extremist politics work for them, it's not unreasonable to say "Hey, maybe we should stand our ground and re-adopt that New Deal-style approach to economics."

In short - It's the economy, stupid.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 8, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I hope everything goes okay with your cat! This Hepatic Lipidosis really sucks, but she's getting food and acting more energetic, and it is a reversible condition. It's just gonna take awhile for her to break down all the nasty poo poo and expel the bile from her system. Got another vet appointment on Friday to get her blood drawn to check her liver enzyme and bile levels, they'll probably show some improvement!

Yeah he's fine, I just got him some more of the food he likes and he ate it too fast. I do need to schedule him an appointment with a cardiologist to have his heart murmur checked out but he seems fine lately.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, McGovern failed, but we're at a point where Neoliberalism has collapsed and the "moderates" have all chosen sides. The only moderates left are the money Democrats like Cory Booker and Diane Feinstein who vote against progressive ideals.

Corey Booker is going to win the nomination in 2020 lmao we're hosed

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Corey Booker is going to win the nomination in 2020 lmao we're hosed

I'm hoping the whole prescription drug vote embarrassment was enough to knock him down a peg but that might be too optimistic.

Booker furiously @ing people on twitter with articles defending him was some prime-cut schadenfreude.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah he's fine, I just got him some more of the food he likes and he ate it too fast. I do need to schedule him an appointment with a cardiologist to have his heart murmur checked out but he seems fine lately.

That's way better than puking because you've been force-fed too much food after you haven't eaten for a week or so, which is what happened with Gigan last week. 😿

After reducing her food for a bit before bringing her back up and giving her anti-nausea pills, though, she hasn't thrown up since!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm hoping the whole prescription drug vote embarrassment was enough to knock him down a peg but that might be too optimistic.

Booker furiously @ing people on twitter with articles defending him was some prime-cut schadenfreude.

He's charismatic enough to convince people who don't read that he's progressive.

I mean sure he's better than Trump but so is a kidney stone and he seems like exactly the kind of guy to divide the base and lose Kerry style.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

He's charismatic enough to convince people who don't read that he's progressive.

Jesus, what a succinct summary of the state of the Democratic Party this is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I mean sure he's better than Trump but so is a kidney stone and he seems like exactly the kind of guy to divide the base and lose Kerry style.

As someone literally from the town he was mayor of, he's really not that charismatic.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah all y'all responded much in the way I would have. Giving ground to the right, especially by avoiding a leadership candidate because of his religion, is exactly the opposite of what the left/the dems (since they're mostly only nominally part of the left) needs.

Sticking to their progressive guns and combining that with identity politics that are more thorough than the surface-level poo poo liberals tend to traffic in is the only real way forward.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

therattle posted:

You're kidding, right?

Trying to get votes from people who would refuse to associate with a Muslim isn't just pointless, it's counter-productive.

They should be focusing on getting votes from a) people who are already aligned with the left and b) working-class people primarily worried about their own survival.

e: I didn't see the new page but this really can't be said enough. Not one more loving inch.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I know we should worry about 2018 and blocking Republicans in the mean time, but I can't help think about who the hell we can run in 2020.

Warren is too divisive, Booker is a sham, Biden and Sanders are not actually going to run.

Kirsten Gillibrand and Kamala Harris have come up as possibilities.

Maybe it will be Zuckerberg. All hail Emperor Zuckerberg, He who sees and knows all we do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Since in the 2020 election only white christian people will be allowed to vote that's who you gotta court

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As someone literally from the town he was mayor of, he's really not that charismatic.

But he helps grandmas shovel their driveways! Surely he will lead us to a new progressive utopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Maybe it will be Zuckerberg. All hail Emperor Zuckerberg, He who sees and knows all we do.

this might be what it takes to get me to start throwing Molotov cocktails at poo poo

• Locked thread