Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Platystemon posted:

Seven and a half times, at the start of the series.

Mars has the tech edge, but Earth would poo poo on them all day every day in a ground war or a war of attrition.

Yeah, if it came down to a conventional war then Mars would have the space advantage in the short term and Earth has the ground advantage with 20+ billion people having lived at full G all their lives. In terms of comparison to where we're at right now, it'd be like the Chinese army corps vs. like, the U.K. and French ground troops, just no contest in terms of bodies you can throw in there. I give Earth the serious edge over time with so many people to draw upon and still the strongest pure resource base in the system, and only needing to ship resources around by train or plane instead of on spaceships that need to constantly produce air and water, and when the resources do arrive it's to bases that also need to constantly generate their own air and water.

As has been covered, if it was a no-holds-barred brawl both sides could easily wipe out the other with missiles, asteroid impacts, etc., but if one side did it all it would really take is a few surviving enemy ships to do the same to the other side, so it's pretty much a cold war situation, if during the cold war both sides were willing to accept the occasional military base or aircraft carrier being blown up (basically the Canterbury and Donnager situations) and not immediately jumping into full-on war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Does Mars have an authoritarian government? I'm getting kind of a Zeon from Gundam vibe from them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subyng posted:

Does Mars have an authoritarian government? I'm getting kind of a Zeon from Gundam vibe from them.

No, it's Republic. IIRC, It's the MCR = Martian Congressional Republic

I'm not sure if it's more expansionist Rome type republic or expansionist USA type republic or a combo of the two.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subyng posted:

No.

We don’t know much about the structure of Mars’ government, but it’s not authoritarian.

e: I was going to compare it to an overgrown city‐state, but that’s just my opinion. There’s nothing hard to go on.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

This shot gives me vague vertigo but I like the attempt to show how spin stations work.

I thought that shot was great! One of the best of the first two S2 episodes.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

NowonSA posted:

As has been covered, if it was a no-holds-barred brawl both sides could easily wipe out the other with missiles, asteroid impacts, etc., but if one side did it all it would really take is a few surviving enemy ships to do the same to the other side, so it's pretty much a cold war situation, if during the cold war both sides were willing to accept the occasional military base or aircraft carrier being blown up (basically the Canterbury and Donnager situations) and not immediately jumping into full-on war.

And both sides would have to make the assumption that the other hasn't already rigged asteroids up with engines and enough guidance systems to hit the other planet. Which isn't a terribly hard thing to do.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I mean, what really is the difference between having fusion weapons and having a fusion drive that has enough delta v loaded to slam a rock into someone?

Well, now that I think about it, a rock already packs a ton of gravitational potential energy into its existence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“A reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive.”

Solomon Epstein’s yacht is traveling at 5% the speed of light, which gives it insane kinetic energy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I mean, what really is the difference between having fusion weapons and having a fusion drive that has enough delta v loaded to slam a rock into someone?

Well, now that I think about it, a rock already packs a ton of gravitational potential energy into its existence.
I don't think your second sentence makes sense.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, there really isn't a fundamental difference between networked nanotech and networked microorganisms, they operate at the molecular level and are governed by similar principles.

If you want a sci fi story about networked microorganisms going out of control, read Greg Bear's Blood Music.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If nanobots were capable of destroying us, bacteria would have beat them to it long ago.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I dunno, bacteria seem to give it a pretty good go every so often.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think your second sentence makes sense.

Using a rock as a weapon means you have all the kinetic energy put into it from your rocket engine + the inherent gravitational potential energy from its orbit.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The same is true for everything in space. Everything is orbiting something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Loomer posted:

I dunno, bacteria seem to give it a pretty good go every so often.

Bacteria kill large numbers of individual organisms, but they haven’t made much effort to kill all multicellular life, as “grey goo” scenarios posit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's because the bacterias and the organisms they'd like to kill evolve in parallel and are based on the same "design principles", things are being kept in check. If you introduce a foreign entity, an organism has absolutely no means to deal with, it's case closed. Nanotech and bacteria aren't that comparable.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Alien life might not even interact with us in a way that's familiar. You could have alien bacterial analogs that could use our bodies as a favorable substrate for growth, but wouldn't be "infecting" our cells, just using them as raw material. It might not even make you sick like earth bugs, our immune systems might not be able to recognize or react to something like that if the chemical composition isn't inherently immunogenic. So your body might start breaking down or developing growths and your immune system would be none the wiser.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

Alien life might not even interact with us in a way that's familiar. You could have alien bacterial analogs that could use our bodies as a favorable substrate for growth, but wouldn't be "infecting" our cells, just using them as raw material. It might not even make you sick like earth bugs, our immune systems might not be able to recognize or react to something like that if the chemical composition isn't inherently immunogenic. So your body might start breaking down or developing growths and your immune system would be none the wiser.

Terrence McKenna had a theory that mushrooms were alien life. The spores are nearly indestructible and could survive in space. His theory was that the psychoactive components plugged evolving lifeforms into a sort of cosmic consciousness internet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Terrence McKenna had a theory that mushrooms were alien life. The spores are nearly indestructible and could survive in space. His theory was that the psychoactive components plugged evolving lifeforms into a sort of cosmic consciousness internet.

Don’t do drugs, kids.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Don’t do drugs, kids.

It's honestly not that far-fetched aside from the consciousness part. It's essentially the organic equivalent of Von Neumann probes, and organic solutions are often more efficient than the mechanical stuff we've been able to come up with so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H55wybU3rI

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Platystemon posted:

No.

We don’t know much about the structure of Mars’ government, but it’s not authoritarian.

e: I was going to compare it to an overgrown city‐state, but that’s just my opinion. There’s nothing hard to go on.

The show calls the Martian Navy the Martian Royal Congressional Navy...

I don't think the "royal" title is mentioned in the books, so maybe in the show there's a King (or Queen!) of Mars?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snuffman posted:

I don't think the "royal" title is mentioned in the books, so maybe in the show there's a King (or Queen!) of Mars?

The “R” is “Republic”.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Snuffman posted:

Martian Congressional Republic Navy. MCRN.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's AQUA not agua. As in the Latin for water. :colbert:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Collateral posted:

Really? It sounds a lot like a G when he yells it. No other Spanish in the show tho...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Collateral posted:

Shut up, nerd!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agua

AlternateAccount posted:

No other Spanish in the show tho...
Belter cant has lots of other Portuguese and Spanish loanwords.

Sasa ke.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

flosofl posted:

No, it's Republic. IIRC, It's the MCR = Martian Congressional Republic

I'm not sure if it's more expansionist Rome type republic or expansionist USA type republic or a combo of the two.

I think it's pretty clearly meant to be expansionist like the USA. Terraforming the planet is their version of the manifest destiny. It's just more explicitly something the entire society is striving towards according to a grand plan.

Mind you, being a republic doesn't mean much by itself with regards to being authoritarian or not.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If the books are a guide the Martian government seems like a pretty recognizable modern congressional republic, but the mechanics of the Earth and Mars governments aren't explored in great detail I don't remember if they even say if it's a parliamentary system or a US style system.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ATP_Power posted:

If the books are a guide the Martian government seems like a pretty recognizable modern congressional republic, but the mechanics of the Earth and Mars governments aren't explored in great detail I don't remember if they even say if it's a parliamentary system or a US style system.

I think Babylon's Ashes made it sound like a parliamentary system.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Really? It sounds a lot like a G when he yells it. No other Spanish in the show tho...

I just rewatched it with my partner and the phonetic sound the belter shouts is definately akwa.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

How long after the episodes air do they show up on Amazon? Is there a chance of watching tonight's episode online?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Kassad posted:

I think it's pretty clearly meant to be expansionist like the USA. Terraforming the planet is their version of the manifest destiny. It's just more explicitly something the entire society is striving towards according to a grand plan.

Is that really expansionist, though? Terraforming doesn't encroach on anyone else's territory. Colonialist, probably, with respect to the Belt.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Is that really expansionist, though? Terraforming doesn't encroach on anyone else's territory. Colonialist, probably, with respect to the Belt.

Terraforming requires them gathering massive amount of water, carbon dioxide, and other materials from the outer solar system. Their treatment of the belt is directly related to the terraforming project.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

IIRC basically all of the water ice from Ceres ended up on Mars for instance, hence the reliance on water shipments from Saturn.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

How long after the episodes air do they show up on Amazon? Is there a chance of watching tonight's episode online?

I usually get an email from Amazon about new episodes being available sometime in the middle of the night after it airs.

edit: The first email for season 2 came at 12:15am Feb 2, so they are probably available around midnight PST.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes I get those e-mails and when I try to actually watch it, Amazon is like, “Psych!” for a couple of hours.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ersatz posted:

Amazon is never consistent with a time. Sometimes they'll appear right at midnight, other times at like 5AM, and sometimes even later.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's "Owkwa". It's on the SyFy page for the Belter Creole 101.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/belter-creole-101

According to the Expanse Fan Wiki, it has it's roots in Finnish.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Need a better thread title anyway. Suggestions go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahaha. Miller moving the bottle away. "I offered a snort, not many snorts"

E: Wait, are we on different airing schedules or are we not posting during airing? This thread seems quieter than I expected.

• Locked thread