Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
"We cannot run these tools on lie-nux because they will not run on lie-nux!"

"Have you tried it?"

"No we do not have lie-nux machine to try this applications on!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cheese-cube posted:

gently caress the hacking tools, that's prolly only a couple of GB at most. what's the rest of the data?

probably downloaded some rainbow tables like a chump

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i just found out there's a ps3/ps4/psp trend micro app that applies a filter to the console's web browser. there are two different filters and each comes with a $20 recurring monthly subscription. stay safe out there, https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/psp-ps3-ps4-security/home.aspx

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

this thread has made me $100 richer, reported a vulnerability and it was accepted :feelsgood:

keep posting cool poo poo i can read about and learn

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

and lol if they listen to my suggested fix in the report. i have no idea what I'm doing

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

dangling pointer posted:

this thread has made me $100 richer, reported a vulnerability and it was accepted :feelsgood:

keep posting cool poo poo i can read about and learn

congrats

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is it still sop for "internet security" suits to mitm ssl traffic with self-signed certs?

like, i can't imagine a bigger way to make yourself less secure than that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

infernal machines posted:

is it still sop for "internet security" suits to mitm ssl traffic with self-signed certs?

Yep, gotta make sure no one is doing anything fun during work hours.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
E: ^^^ I was like you once before. Then I learned I was being stupid. :/

infernal machines posted:

MitM SSL strip isn't just about security, it's also about liability. In that regard it does what it needs to.

I think F5 is one of the companies to stay away from. We reported some tls issues to them and they were huge cocks about how they know what they're doing (despite providing a poc exploit).

We're working on our ssl decryption project now so I've been indulged in business meetings where it's made clear security is secondary to appeasing lawyers. But our biggest concern at the moment is industrial espionage.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 8, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
better start epoxying those usb ports

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I know I'm late to the party, but I don't think anyone said pounded in the butt by 50TB of NSA database yet

You're welcome, mr. Tingle

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
lmao

https://medium.com/@MisterCh0c/how-i-hijacked-top-celebrities-tweets-including-katy-perry-shakira-fca3a0e751c6#.9c15bd8su

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
just as surprised as he is that no one else thought of it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crazy Achmed posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I don't think anyone said pounded in the butt by 50TB of NSA database yet

You're welcome, mr. Tingle

:nsavince:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Kuvo posted:

just as surprised as he is that no one else thought of it

i'm surprised i never thought of it considering i was scraping phone numbers off of it years ago

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

MitM SSL strip isn't just about security, it's also about liability. In that regard it does what it needs to.

go ahead and MitM if you need to, but doing it on the end device with a self-signed cert seems like a terrible way to get there

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coworker today: "it was giving me some kind of 'self-signed certificate' error but don't worry i took care of it"

what did you do coworker, what did you doooooooo :ohdear:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Winkle-Daddy posted:

E: ^^^ I was like you once before. Then I learned I was being stupid. :/

I think F5 is one of the companies to stay away from. We reported some tls issues to them and they were huge cocks about how they know what they're doing (despite providing a poc exploit).

We're working on our ssl decryption project now so I've been indulged in business meetings where it's made clear security is secondary to appeasing lawyers. But our biggest concern at the moment is industrial espionage.

Because MiTMing stops someone from exfiltrating all your secrets off your network

MiTMs remain a bad idea.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

coworker today: "it was giving me some kind of 'self-signed certificate' error but don't worry i took care of it"

disabled https prolly lol

comedy option: he/she added the self-signed cert to the default domain policy so it will be added to the trusted store on all machines

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

go ahead and MitM if you need to, but doing it on the end device with a self-signed cert seems like a terrible way to get there

end point or network device, either way you're throwing an engine on there to do the work and trusting some kind of cert to do it. mitm on the endpoint is a whole lot more cost effective when there's distributed cpu cycles to spare compared to dumping hundreds of thousands on dedicated gear that can handle gbps of traffic with minimal latency while still creating additional points of failure on the network

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

cheese-cube posted:

disabled https prolly lol

comedy option: he/she added the self-signed cert to the default domain policy so it will be added to the trusted store on all machines

would this be really bad even on a company intranet site?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:laffo:

cheese-cube posted:

comedy option: asked his mother to also sign the certificate

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

loll

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

omg

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

would this be really bad even on a company intranet site?

yes because you can't revoke a self-signed cert. also other reasons that i'm not immediately remembering.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

is there a general best practices guide for bug bounties? like how to write good, informative reports so I don't waste the reviewers time?

also a list of things you should never do like the guy on the recent risky business podcast who got banned from yahoo for exfiltrating data via a screenshot

the guides on hackerone and similar sites are pretty brief.

thanks whoever mentioned I should try bug bounties when I asked for advice earlier in the thread, I'm having fun with it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dangling pointer posted:

is there a general best practices guide for bug bounties? like how to write good, informative reports so I don't waste the reviewers time?

also a list of things you should never do like the guy on the recent risky business podcast who got banned from yahoo for exfiltrating data via a screenshot

thanks whoever mentioned I should try bug bounties when I asked for advice earlier in the thread, I'm having fun with it
this may depend on program basis, so always check the rules on case per case basis, but some common sense things include

- log everything you did (including identifying poo poo like ip/mac/useragent/etc)
- do not interact with data that's not yours (i.e. for facebook account hack, make two dummy facebook accounts, hacker and hackee, to work the bug out)
- do not store things locally, to the best of your ability - even things like screenshots, file tree traversal logs, and so on
- do not discuss whatever you found with anyone before the reviewer

it is always better to giver reviewer more than enough data, than to leave them guessing. you do not want that

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

also could use some book recommendations, open to any topic really. so far ive read:

reversing secrets of reverse engineering
a bug hunters diary
the web application hackers handbook

i was thinking of getting the ida pro book and downloading the pro version via :filez: to play with since I'm a poor student currently

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

standard rule of not checking the extent of a vuln just that it exists. always inform the security team of what you are doing, leave fixes up to them, recheck after they've said it's been fixed, etc

far as books go i've yet to see any that aren't glorified tech ref manuals that are out of date prior to release

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

he generated a new properly named cert and signed it with your internal ca, right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

yes because you can't revoke a self-signed cert. also other reasons that i'm not immediately remembering.

you can put it into your untrusted certs and that will block it. self signed certs can be used safely but the effort involved to do so is way more than just using your internal ca correctly.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

he generated a new properly named cert and signed it with your internal ca, right?

he doesn't remember what he did :gonk:

luckily it seems he only did whatever it was to a single VM that's not very important

unluckily he did this like a year ago and it's been running like that since then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

using your internal ca correctly.

whoa, hey look at this, i think maybe you've identified the issue...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/malwrhunterteam/status/828957753121112064

russians made a short writeup on this:

- 0.085 btc bail (approx 90 usd)
- uac bypass manipulates file type associations to create an elevated ransomware service

works like this:
- ipecho.net/plain and ipinfo.io/country are used to determine geoip
- tor is downloaded and used for comms with cnc server
- ransomware seeks documents with specific extensions
- encrypts contents with aes, extensions with rot-23

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

And the better way would be to............?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

dangling pointer posted:

some posts from a good friend of mine:
https://medium.com/@collingreene/bug-bounty-5-years-in-c95cda604365#.qk9ip49db
https://medium.com/@collingreene/to-the-bounty-hunters-9259b1544325#.91bslvtvp

the one thing thats not mentioned in there, don't be an rear end in a top hat and don't do the bullshit where you argue non-stop that some reflected XSS in IE8 on a unauthed microsite is a SEVERE RCE

there are actual people triaging your report, we remember the good reporters and the bad reporters and make very little claim towards being unbiased when deciding on payouts

basically go try to be fin1te, he is probably the best bug bountier in the world right now and just generally a joy to work with, last time i talked to him he was making significantly more a year from bug bounties than his salary at facebook: https://twitter.com/fin1te https://whitton.io/

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Yeah, when I was looking over Eset's implementation they generated a unique self-signed cert and added it to the trust store. Each install was unique and it seemed to be the best way of going about that at the endpoint if that's what you're trying to accomplish. Hopefully they were dumping all the crypto in and out through schannel instead of some bundled openssl library or custom horseshit but there's still plenty of wiggle room to gently caress up cert validation and plenty of other vendors have been extremely guilty in that area.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Winkle-Daddy posted:

not roll your own crypto

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, when I was looking over Eset's implementation they generated a unique self-signed cert and added it to the trust store. Each install was unique and it seemed to be the best way of going about that at the endpoint if that's what you're trying to accomplish. Hopefully they were dumping all the crypto in and out through schannel instead of some bundled openssl library or custom horseshit but there's still plenty of wiggle room to gently caress up cert validation and plenty of other vendors have been extremely guilty in that area.

my post was more directed at trying to find out what alternative to mitm'ing ssl that poster might be suggesting, obviously there are poo poo vendors (F5 *cough*) and better ones. There are poo poo deployments and good deployments. but your packets are getting inspected in corporate america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well the other option is gateway filtering through an appliance or dedicated server, whether that's better or worse depends on your budget and key-management policies.

• Locked thread