Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

You're welcome, good luck. Maybe if your company is bigger they can look at Fidelity, they've managed my 401ks at various employers for a long time and I'm happy with them, good customer service too.

I am also happy with Fidelity's 401(k).

The thrilling conclusion: He was wrong when he said my fee was capped at $60. This is indeed a flat new cost to me. A coworker ran the numbers and it's more like 300% for him. (He's only been here ~1.5 years.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

The thrilling conclusion: He was wrong when he said my fee was capped at $60. This is indeed a flat new cost to me. A coworker ran the numbers and it's more like 300% for him. (He's only been here ~1.5 years.)

When I first started a job after college (about 15 years ago), the 401k average expense ratio was just a bit over 2%. I think the lowest was 1.67%. I finally got them to move it when I had about $200k in it, wasting ~$4000 per year on management fees.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Blinkman987 posted:

Tech companies started giving paternity leave a few years back, so if you have the skills to work at a company that produces no physical goods and can make money at incredible scale, then they'll be so profitable that they'll use some of their obscene profits for paternity leave!

Those extra profits are going directly to management bonuses, and you know it.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Bingo. I worked retail pharmacy and we had blackout periods during the day where no one took breaks and during the year when no one took PTO unless they were ill. Apart from that I always took regular breaks, reminded co-workers to also step out and get some air, and took time off because working yourself to burnout doesn't make you a better worker. It was the same way when I started working for hospital clinics and had some really white knuckle co-workers. Taking breaks and leaving work at work at the end of the day doesn't mean you don't care about it, it's self care. If you really do live to work, then justify it as a means to get more work done for longer.

That equation doesn't change whether you're making $15/hr or $35/hr, it's human psychology.

The whole point of overtime costing an employer 150% normal wages is meant as a deterrent to employers because it's such a contributor to injury and illness for employees, and the work they get is garbage but they still don't understand because American employers are insane. They think if flogging doesn't work, they should just do it harder. Most people aren't very useful after 6 hours a day or 30 hours per week, and those same people are utterly worthless after 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week. The only reason we do it to healthcare workers is the patient handoff is even more dangerous for patients.

Blame our Puritan ancestors I guess.

And BTW if someone is a security risk for money laundering or fraud, I guarantee you don't need a wage garnishment to find that out. But whatever your name was up there, keep arguing that employers should just ignore federal employee protections.

Interestingly, one of the big red flags that an employee might be engaged in embezzlement or fraud is that they don't take vacations (because they're afraid that their backup will figure out what they've been doing) which is why executives above a certain level at major financial companies are required to take at least one two-week vacation per year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powerlurker posted:

Interestingly, one of the big red flags that an employee might be engaged in embezzlement or fraud is that they don't take vacations (because they're afraid that their backup will figure out what they've been doing) which is why executives above a certain level at major financial companies are required to take at least one two-week vacation per year.

Working extreme overtime should also be a fraud red flag: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-janitor-pay-270000-Powell-St-questions-10911932.php

Depending on how long this janitor has been pulling off $200k+ years, this might wrap all the way back around to GWM for the janitor though!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Working extreme overtime should also be a fraud red flag: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-janitor-pay-270000-Powell-St-questions-10911932.php

Depending on how long this janitor has been pulling off $200k+ years, this might wrap all the way back around to GWM for the janitor though!

Dude took 2 hours worth of breaks during a 17 hour day? What a lazy piece of poo poo!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I can't even be mad at him.

Working 17 hour days, every single holiday, and weekends for an entire year as a subway janitor in San Francisco is not something I would do. Even for 200k (which included benefits)

I've taken more than 2 hours of lunch + break in a single day on my 8 hour office job.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Powerlurker posted:

Did you make up this post because it really seems like you made this up. Never heard of it at any bank I ever climbed the ladder at.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Working 17 hour days, every single holiday, and weekends for an entire year as a subway janitor in San Francisco is not something I would do. Even for 200k (which included benefits)

I've taken more than 2 hours of lunch + break in a single day on my 8 hour office job.

Wait, I just skimmed the article. Were they including those bullshit "benefits" that employers send out showing what they "paid" you above your salary? Like their contribution to social security and the amount they paid for your share of the healthcare plan and stuff?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Did you make up this post because it really seems like you made this up. Never heard of it at any bank I ever climbed the ladder at.

I can confirm that it happens in the UK - friend of mine in a relatively junior position had a company policy of a minimum block of 2 weeks of holiday every year.

It was felt that you could possibly postpone a weekly report by a week to hide your dastardly dealings, but if you are away for 2 weeks, someone else will have to do your work during that time and you'd be found out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

You did not get high enough on the ladder.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, I just skimmed the article. Were they including those bullshit "benefits" that employers send out showing what they "paid" you above your salary? Like their contribution to social security and the amount they paid for your share of the healthcare plan and stuff?

Yes, they were calculating the total "cost" to the taxpayer because he was a BART employee.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pryor on Fire posted:

I've never worked in a place where it mattered but I've definitely heard about it as being a thing. Apparently happens with IT people too?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spog posted:

I can confirm that it happens in the UK - friend of mine in a relatively junior position had a company policy of a minimum block of 2 weeks of holiday every year.

It was felt that you could possibly postpone a weekly report by a week to hide your dastardly dealings, but if you are away for 2 weeks, someone else will have to do your work during that time and you'd be found out.

Ah that makes more sense, minimum vacation time seems like a much more UK/Europe thing, here that would be seen as terrible and un-American

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It happens in the US too.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Pryor on Fire posted:

This definitely happens in the US also. I worked for a regional bank (and not high up, I was a credit card collector) and was required to take at least 1 week straight of vacation at some point during the year for compliance purposes.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

No, that is a thing. Where I'm at, it is supposed to apply to anyone in a management position, no matter where they are in the company. The only downside here is that the person who has this mandatory week off isn't given it extra, it comes out of their PTO pool. So after their week, they will only have 5 days they can take on their choosing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^ And that right there is the biggest problem with it. Agreed 100%.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I used to work at a bank and it was a mandatory 1-week vacation for everyone regardless of title. Monkeys that key in mortgages all the way to the CEO.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If it's not confidential or whatever do you know the names of any companies with that policy? Want to learn more. Is it actually spelled out why the vacation is mandatory or just implied?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Any investment bank

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Any investment bank

Again I've worked at several IBs you've heard of that don't have this policy, so I'm looking for specific names or even better the actual text of the HR policy or contract. Gonna go deep on this one.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I worked for BMO Harris Bank. It was a spelled out policy. It was 2011 or so though, so I don't have anything in writing anymore.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Renegret posted:

Apparently happens with IT people too?

This is correct, though it's not just for embezzlement. It's also a business continuity thing (aka can we continue functioning if this goober get hit by a bus)

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
FDIC recommendation: https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/1995/fil9552.html

I don't know which banks use this but from Google it looks like at least a few do. Here in Canada I've also seen it mentioned in accounting & finance textbooks repeatedly, since any company's managers might embezzle, not just banks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

blugu64 posted:

This is correct, though it's not just for embezzlement. It's also a business continuity thing (aka can we continue functioning if this goober get hit by a bus)

hahaha

fully staffed IT department

hahahahahaha

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

Wait until you discover how police departments operate!

Not only is a ton of official overtime standard practice, but the police routinely make deals for new off-duty overtime with places like churches to have police directing traffic into their parking lot. police unions contract for minimums of hours per quarter of paid support in exchange for official approval / blessing for things.

double time for off-hours, triple time for holidays

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

If I was a taxpayer in SF subsidising BART's annual $300MM revenue shortfall I might be kind of mad at this guy defrauding the overtime system (the article raises serious questions about the extent of his productivity on these marathons of 17 hour shifts) and further at BART for not taking the obvious step of staffing these shifts in a more cost effective manner since clearly they have an extreme need if employees are working in excess of 4,000 hours a year

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Would you rather have 2 coworkers doing 2 jobs, or 1 man who worked 4000 hours a year filling the same role? I just don't buy that anyone on the planet is as productive after more than 10 hours straight of working.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Twerk from Home posted:

Would you rather have 2 coworkers doing 2 jobs, or 1 man who worked 4000 hours a year filling the same role? I just don't buy that anyone on the planet is as productive after more than 10 hours straight of working.

Management shouldn't have allowed it to happen, but he's a janitor and there were no complaints about any of his results.

If the opportunity is there to make 200k in a year working 358 days and sometimes 17 hours a day, then I don't begrudge him for doing it. I wouldn't work that much even if 12 of those 17 hours were just standing around the train station.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Management shouldn't have allowed it to happen, but he's a janitor and there were no complaints about any of his results.

If the opportunity is there to make 200k in a year working 358 days and sometimes 17 hours a day, then I don't begrudge him for doing it. I wouldn't work that much even if 12 of those 17 hours were just standing around the train station.

This hustler only gets hassled because he's a minority working as a janitor.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This hustler only gets hassled because he's a minority working as a janitor.

I didn't read the article but if it includes lunches it is probably an 18 hour say with 2 half hour lunch periods (in my state a second is required at 12 hours of shift length and no more than 6 hours between lunches) then you figure at least 4 or 5 10 min breaks; one every 2 hour period that is not separated by lunches. The only unusual thing here is how many hours he is working.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I would go through one hell year for $271,000 even though I make almost half that. I probably couldn't do it more than one year though. But it'd be nice to have a kind of mulligan for all the money I squandered away before I knew what I was doing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

"The BART system is remarkably clean" - nobody

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I learned just how shockingly bad with money a coworker is last night over drinks. 7/1 ARM which just started floating on a condo they are break even on right now since they bought at a high point in the bubble. They can just barely afford the payments + $400 HOA + $600 BMW payment + $500 student loan payment. He was asking for suggestions on how to get his mortgage payment down, I suggested he not buy $250 ping pong paddles off the internet, Rapha cycling gear, and sell the BMW X5 for a Honda CRV. The former two of those happened this month, the one we are 8 days into, and is indicative of his online spending addiction.

Nope, I need the mortgage payment lower. I stopped trying and suggested he sink the ~$2500 to lock his mortgage rate through a re-fi.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

therobit posted:

I didn't read the article but if it includes lunches it is probably an 18 hour say with 2 half hour lunch periods (in my state a second is required at 12 hours of shift length and no more than 6 hours between lunches) then you figure at least 4 or 5 10 min breaks; one every 2 hour period that is not separated by lunches. The only unusual thing here is how many hours he is working.

"I don't get paid breaks." - said angrily at the water cooler or getting coffee in the break room before commenting on news article from office computer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

actually the news crew that went to the station to investigate found a several very obvious cleanliness issues which they photographed and showed to the station supervisor who basically replied "they don't have time to clean everything" implying that this station somehow needs more than 4000 hours of cleaning time per year to not have dust and dirt under the handrails etc.

Based on the timecards they acquired this employee claimed to have worked 17 hours every day or took 8 hours of paid leave any day he was not in the station, so to be clear although working 10+ consecutive 17 hour shifts truly strains belief that an employee could be productively working all of those hours he definitely had plenty of days off

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Pryor on Fire posted:

Again I've worked at several IBs you've heard of that don't have this policy, so I'm looking for specific names or even better the actual text of the HR policy or contract. Gonna go deep on this one.

The brokerage firm I work for "strongly recommends" it for VP or above.
It's on our internal HR page about vacation and sick leave. No, I'm not posting that here.

I'm a ops peon, so I don't have that rule. But, it might be why I get 4 weeks off with pay once every 5 years (total vacation per year is 17 days, plus 10-ish for sick).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Seems like a good audit could do a better job than just making them leave for a week and hoping their fill-in finds suspicious poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ate all the Oreos posted:

Seems like a good audit could do a better job than just making them leave for a week and hoping their fill-in finds suspicious poo poo

auditors don't find poo poo it seems. e.g. rita crundwell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

auditors don't find poo poo it seems. e.g. rita crundwell

I wasn't familiar with her story, but turns out her more than $50 million embezzled was to support a horse habit. It's horses all the way down!

• Locked thread