Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How much money is every willing to put on the Trump admin having already destroyed the evidence of the EO having it's roots in an anti-muslim animus (e-mails, memos, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Nitrousoxide posted:

How much money is every willing to put on the Trump admin having already destroyed the evidence of the EO having it's roots in an anti-muslim animus (e-mails, memos, etc)

I have not yet been struck by their competence.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

If the trump admin destroys rudy giuliani I may begin to rethink my position on them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd add to that the codicil "getting destroyed for an awful argument in service of an awful goal."

We went over this regarding Yates but government attorneys have a higher ethical standard. A DoJ attorney arguing in favor of this kind of government action is acting exactly contrary to the legitimate purposes and goals of the Department of Justice. He has an ethical duty to quit that he has failed by standing there and defending this Order.

Grow a pair and fall on your sword like a man.

Few people are in a strong enough position (financially) to say "you know what, gently caress you fire me but I won't do this" assuming that they actually don't agree with what they're trying to defend. After Trump fired the acting AG people who aren't going to try to get out of the DoJ are going to be more than happy to fall in line with emperor baby hands' authoritarianism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

They'd have to delete YouTube

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Evil Fluffy posted:

Few people are in a strong enough position (financially) to say "you know what, gently caress you fire me but I won't do this" assuming that they actually don't agree with what they're trying to defend. After Trump fired the acting AG people who aren't going to try to get out of the DoJ are going to be more than happy to fall in line with emperor baby hands' authoritarianism.

That's true, but it doesn't change the ethical duty. Lots of people are going to have to make horrible choices.

And all things considered, senior DoJ attorneys are in a better position for such sacrificing and a better position to gain new employment than a lot of people are going to be.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Evil Fluffy posted:

But that "few people" includes every single DoJ attorney.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Ogmius815 posted:

But that "few people" includes every single DoJ attorney.

How much do you think young AUSA's make vs. some typical student loan balances. There are plenty of non-prestige positions in unsexy districts and satellite offices that aren't going to immediately absorb a bunch of new litigators.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Number Ten Cocks posted:

How much do you think young AUSA's make vs. some typical student loan balances. There are plenty of non-prestige positions in unsexy districts and satellite offices that aren't going to immediately absorb a bunch of new litigators.

Ok, so, the government is handcuffing five year old kids and locking them up in solitary away from their parents and innocent people are losing jobs and being separated from their families and being denied necessary medical care because they can't come to America

but I think the real victims here are young highly qualified attorneys who *might* have to look for another job for a while

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Ok, so, the government is handcuffing five year old kids and locking them up in solitary away from their parents and innocent people are losing jobs and being separated from their families and being denied necessary medical care because they can't come to America

but I think the real victims here are young highly qualified attorneys who *might* have to look for another job for a while

I'm not seeing any victims here at all.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Welcome to America!

You know, I think I was wrong about you.

You're finally starting to get what this country is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Judges aren't buying that

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/829119243778195456

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Welcome to America!

You know, I think I was wrong about you.

You're finally starting to get what this country is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

quote:

The chief weapon of the sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody
else could believe, until it was much too late, how heartless and greedy they were.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The better question would be to ask if they deny Trump repeatedly made statements about a Muslim ban. Put Trump in the spotlight even more.

Though given Gorsuch's "I don't care what people say they intended, I care what's written" stance when it comes to law it seems like he's Trump's ideal pick.:eng99:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evil Fluffy posted:

Though given Gorsuch's "I don't care what people say they intended, I care what's written" stance when it comes to law it seems like he's Trump's ideal pick.:eng99:

lol if you think that’s what Gorsuch really cares about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

lol if you think that’s what Gorsuch really cares about.

I'm aware, it just gives him a more convenient excuse for his awfulness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm still really confused by DoJ assertions that the action in question is "unreviewable". Like, aren't they saying this to a judge(/s)? Where do they think this authority comes from?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm still really confused by DoJ assertions that the action in question is "unreviewable". Like, aren't they saying this to a judge(/s)? Where do they think this authority comes from?

They spotted a gold‐fringed flag in the courtroom, which means that it is an admiralty court with no power over them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Discendo Vox posted:

I would think there's broad agreement that unreviewable actions exist, for instance, actions that don't have remedies. I'm not saying this particular action falls into that category, but it doesn't seem like a foreign concept.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

If you have a history as an AUSA (esp one who quit over a point of principle) there will be PLENTY of firms happy to throw you money.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ziiiiing, but the Constitution guarantees criminals a right to counsel. It does not guarantee the president a right to have unconstitutional actions defended.

It should be and I think it'd be pretty easy to expand the right to include that.

Plus, I'd much rather phoning-it-in-dude than a fire-breathing believer. He seems to be doing his legal due diligence (as any lawyer should) but he doesn't seem to be looking for creative ways to win the case.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

twodot posted:

I would think there's broad agreement that unreviewable actions exist, for instance, actions that don't have remedies. I'm not saying this particular action falls into that category, but it doesn't seem like a foreign concept.

Sure, it's just a really odd term to use, and for those actions or settings, other terms are more conventional. It seems to invite rebuke. I've read through this article on the subject, and if that's the intended doctrine, it seems to have very little to do with what occurred. I'm also confused by how Congress could have the authority to delegate authority on a subject in a way that makes it unreviewable on constitutional grounds. The article is...not great at supporting its assertions.

It cites Webster v Doe, but when I read that it seemed like 1. wow this is not a set of case reasoning I would want to rely on, and 2. The relevant constitutional reviewability claim regarding wasn't necessary to the finding and appears to be dicta (I haven't dug further into the cited record than that).

Skimming the apparent root case, Johnson v. Robison, it seems not to be trying to give congress the power to create laws that grant administrators immunity from constitutional review at all.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 8, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shbobdb posted:

It should be and I think it'd be pretty easy to expand the right to include that.

It's a bit of a catch-22 argument but I'd posit that the president cannot, definitionally, have a right to take unconstitutional action, and similarly cannot have a right to have his unconstitutional actions defended. You could argue that he has a right to criminal defense but unconstitutional action is not necessarily criminal action, and even if the two actions were the same (for example, a presidential order that the FBI shoot all brown people without trial) the two legal questions would be distinct -- the president's legal power to order X is a separate question from whether or not ordering X is a crime, in the same sense that civil liability for a homicide is a distinct question from whether the homicide was criminal murder.. The president would not be *constitutionally* entitled to an attorney to defend his assertion of the legal power to order murder, even if he subsquently did have the constitutional right to an attorney when placed on trial for conspiracy to commit murder.

Of course I'm making a circular argument here because I'm assuming that the presidential action under debate is axiomatically unconstitutional and that will almost never be the case except in the most egregious circumstances. But we're living in egregious times.

Shbobdb posted:

Plus, I'd much rather phoning-it-in-dude than a fire-breathing believer. He seems to be doing his legal due diligence (as any lawyer should) but he doesn't seem to be looking for creative ways to win the case.

Yeah, maybe I'm being too hard on the guy and he's using terms like "unreviewable authority" for that reason. Still though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 8, 2017

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I think he just stuck his foot in his mouth while trying to split hairs, since everyone on that phone call was smart enough to know that was literally the worst possible answer to that question. He immedietly walks it backs in the next sentence, which I wish I could find a transcript for.

A lot of his arguments revolved around trying to convince the judges that the EO should be judged only by its contents and not by the intent. A very large portion of both sides of the debate revolved around this debate; and I think he mentally was answering the "intent" question since I don't think anyone expected the debate to swing into Marbury vs. Madison territory.

If anyone has a transcript, it would be great to link it.

edit: I do want to point out the whole call is incredibly interesting, and it's only about an hour long. I strongly suggest loading it up instead of a podcast on your next commute. Based on my extensive legal knowledge coming from listening to the OA podcast and following the supreme court thread, the DOJ lawyer's arguments come off as incredibly week. It's also interesting how much time both sides spent addressing standing -- because I suspect the DOJ's arguments that Washington/Minnesota didn't have standing to bring the case, although weak, are stronger than the arguments that the EO is constitutional.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Chuu posted:

I think he just stuck his foot in his mouth while trying to split hairs, since everyone on that phone call was smart enough to know that was literally the worst possible answer to that question. He immedietly walks it backs in the next sentence, which I wish I could find a transcript for.

If I recall the moment he tried to move the burden of Presidential Infallibility, I mean non-reviewability onto the actual determination of risk - it's the President's call if Countries X, Y and Z pose a national security threat to the United States. Which leads me to ask 'so we're not allowed to look at bad faith?'

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Chuu posted:

If anyone has a transcript, it would be great to link it.
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2017/02/04/17-35105%20motion.pdf

Think this is what you're after
Starts on page 75/6

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No, we're talking about the transcript of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPOFowWqFGU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So something interesting happened on Monday in Aziz v Trump:

quote:

Before the Court are Motions to Intervene on Behalf of President Donald J. Trump et al. by
two pro se movants, Janice Wolk Grenadier ("Grenadier")^ and Raquel Okyay ("Okyay")
(collectively, "movants"). Movants' filings are largely incoherent, but appear to espouse support
for President Trump and the Executive Order ("EO") that is at the heart of this litigation.^ For the
reasons that follow, the motions will be denied.
:f5: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4576795/aziz-v-trump/

I'm unclear if the hearing to show cause as to why they shouldn't be in contempt happened or not.

edit: the motion was denied for "reasons stated in open court", but the transcript is paywalled.

quote:

the Commonwealth of Virginia's Motion for the Issuance of a Rule to ShowCause [Dkt. 18] is DENIED WITHOUT PREJUDICE;

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 8, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Holy poo poo the Grenadier motion is amazingly crazy: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4576795/aziz-v-trump/#entry-45

Also the Okyay one (much shorter and fewer youtube citations, but similar pseudolaw wonderousness): https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4576795/aziz-v-trump/#entry-47

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ShadowHawk posted:

Holy poo poo the Grenadier motion is amazingly crazy: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4576795/aziz-v-trump/#entry-45

Also the Okyay one (much shorter and fewer youtube citations, but similar pseudolaw wonderousness): https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4576795/aziz-v-trump/#entry-47

That is some prime frothing insanity right there, nearly Time Cube level.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Number Ten Cocks posted:

How many Obama DOJ should have resigned rather than rack up the worst Supreme Court record in modern history?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/us/politics/obama-supreme-court-win-rate-trump.html?_r=0

Are...are you even familiar with the nature of many of the cases brought before the SC since 2009?

Dude, yes, we have indeed been losing ground 5-4 on labor, capacity of states to tax and regulate business operating within their borders, campaign finance transparency, etc. Scalia, Alito, Roberts, and Thomas have continued to be 100% reliable corporate-interest shills and Kennedy is only socially kinda moderate w.r.t application of privacy theory.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nitrousoxide posted:

Within an hour of it being announced Trump corporate email was on a Win2003 box and Exchange 2010 without Forefront, they had taken everything offline and quickly replaced it.

Additionally, Trump businesses have a long and publicly-documented history of destroying mail, documents, memmos etc during discovery. Inb4 Number Ten Cocks wants to debate this one so I can slap him with publicly-available court proceedings :unsmigghh:

They've got this, unfortunately. I'd go so far as to postulate there's token pious email of requests back and forth for perfectly reasonable action that is totally outside the demonstrated animus Trump speaks, types, press releases, and chants.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 8, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is some prime frothing insanity right there, nearly Time Cube level.

I read the Okyay one first and was like "well it's definitely some suburban SUV driving trumpist horseshit but I wouldn't call it frothing" so I opened the Grenadier one and :tviv:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FAUXTON posted:

I read the Okyay one first and was like "well it's definitely some suburban SUV driving trumpist horseshit but I wouldn't call it frothing" so I opened the Grenadier one and :tviv:

gently caress the tables, ya'll need to see this page in its original glory:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

gently caress the tables, ya'll need to see this page in its original glory:

lol wut

Is that...did somebody...what does this have to do with Aziz v. Trump? Can anybody just file anything and try to attach it to any case?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yes.

(Also Grenadier is batshit crazy - this ain't the first insane filing she's made in Virginia.)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Holy poo poo, it's like someone appended an Avshalom post to a court document.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mdemone posted:

lol wut

Is that...did somebody...what does this have to do with Aziz v. Trump? Can anybody just file anything and try to attach it to any case?

Yep. The court, of course, denied the motion.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

That's true, but it doesn't change the ethical duty. Lots of people are going to have to make horrible choices.

And all things considered, senior DoJ attorneys are in a better position for such sacrificing and a better position to gain new employment than a lot of people are going to be.

We would rather people not do a lovely job of defending awful laws that their job requires them to do, instead we would prefer good people quit and be replaced by awful people who will do a good job of defending the awful laws? People who will likely be there after the awful laws stop getting passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

We would rather people not do a lovely job of defending awful laws that their job requires them to do, instead we would prefer good people quit and be replaced by awful people who will do a good job of defending the awful laws? People who will likely be there after the awful laws stop getting passed.

I'd prefer a general strike of DoJ attorney s, ideally.