Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EdsTeioh posted:

Is there only the full cast version?

As far as I know it's the only one Audible sells, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

SomeMathGuy posted:

As far as I know it's the only one Audible sells, yes.

Gotcha. That was the only one I found, but I was phone searching. You recommend it? So far I've gone through 2 Gibson novels, Snow Crash and am working through the 2nd Expanse novel.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
They announced the director for a new Dune movie, so I would seriously consider waiting for a new recording, personally.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ah hell, this audiobook only has one guy reading it out, instead of ten guys

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Apoffys posted:

You can get a refund from Audible quite easily, even if you bought it ages ago.
Yeah.. This is 100% true.

I got "Monster Hunter International" and after puking a bit and getting through almost hte entire thing, I dropped it and walked away. Got a refund several months later, no questions, no stress, no problem

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

space kobold posted:

If you dig that style of story, I'd entirely recommend We Are Legion (We Are Bob). https://www.amazon.com/Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse-Book-ebook/dp/B01LWAESYQ

Its got a similar style of computer programmer/nerd getting put into a bizarre setting and having to deal with it creatively, and is narrated by Ray Porter, one of my favorites. Even if most of the politics are absurd caricatures, it's really rather fun.

Cool, thanks! grabbed it for a few dollars. Almost done with the Magic series and will give it a listen after.

I finally realized I can up the reading speed on the Audible ap... There were some long books I wish I'd have done that for.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've got a request, for good nonfiction stuff. Something educational and useful would be preferred, but the main criteria it not be too old of a source that it puts me out (I always struggle with staying awake to Xenophon and Dickens and Aurelius ). I'd prefer it to not be one that's super short or too politically oriented, I need something to study to.

I'm specifically interested in books about design based thinking for problem solving in engineering spheres- maybe infrastructure or environmental or electrical. I'm sure there's plenty on aerospace but I'm not particularly interested in those, i've read a lot of them.

I would prefer ones that don't spend all their time wanking over specific companies because they all seem to be compiled of breathless swooning over Steve Jobs or whatever managent genius developed a new doo-wop toy by asking someone to do it for them, and I'm much more interested in more granular, engineering-oriented stuff than team management. Bonus if it's not some 20 minute or two hour talk being repacked, audible is glutted with those.. :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 8, 2017

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My first thought was Packing for Mars by Mary Roach. It's a little bit aerospacey in that it has to do with space travel, but mostly focuses on the challenges of staying alive in space, how they were tested/solved so far, and what needs to be figured out for long term space living. It's quite fascinating and covers really interesting aspects like hygiene, food, climate and all that that's told in a fun way. She has a couple other books I've not read yet. I just got Stiff, which is about the use of cadavers which sounds strange, but she does a nice job of making the info interesting so I'm looking forward to listening to it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm halfway through it so can't totally vouch for it yet, but Atomic Accidents by James Mahaffey is a pretty cool dissection of every radiation-based accident in history, beginning with Nikola Tesla sticking his head into a hitherto unknown X ray beam. It's written very much for the benefit of a layperson and, once the development of radioactive piles and nuclear weapons is in the picture, much of the book is dedicated to how these things and their failsafes are engineered. Judging from the title, you might think it's a fear mongering thing but it's exactly the opposite. I'm enjoying it so far.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I'm specifically interested in books about design based thinking for problem solving in engineering spheres- maybe infrastructure or environmental or electrical. I'm sure there's plenty on aerospace but I'm not particularly interested in those, i've read a lot of them.

How about beer? Brewmasters Art, while a lecture series, is an interesting listen on the industry. Technical aspects are quite light, but it's a good overview.

Trainrides
Jun 1, 2012

Audiobooks are awesome, I particularly like then for calming me down for sleep. Storytel has a sleep feature which lets me easily skip back to where I fell asleep, very useful. Listening to Brian Aldiss' Hothouse right now, it's pretty weird.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Awesome thanks for the recommendations. I've heard about Stiff before on some interview.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've got Stiff; I did a one sentence review somewhere in the thread. It's not bad.

And it's more history than technical explanations, but The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York is a hell of a good listen.
There's also a documentary now on Netflix by the same name.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2017

java
May 7, 2005

I feel like it's a sin to say I consumed this via audiobook, but Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird" is really fantastic in terms of books on writing. The narrator they got is also pitch perfect for the tone of the book.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's never a sin to have a professional reader read a book to you. Trevor white is how I finally got to read Catch 22 and with the pacing and rhythm it's supposed to have :)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm halfway through the first Expanse book Leviathan Wakes on my kindle and really liking it. I'm considering moving over and listening to them on audiobook instead since I go through books so much faster that way (thank you commute). Anyone listened to these and can comment on how good the narration is?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Books 1-2 and 4-6 have excellent narration. They couldn't get the regular guy for book 3 and by all accounts the replacement sucks, but luckily enough they're actually re-recording three with the original one and expect to have it out in a couple months (E: 'by march' according to the tweet.)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 15, 2017

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Mary Roach is typically enjoyable. The only book I wasn't super into was the one on war (I think it was Grunt). It was interesting but the topic doesn't quite appeal to me.

I just finished You Can't Touch My Hair by Phoebe Robinson. Definite laugh out loud moments. Points I could relate to as a woman and points that were socially educational since I am not a woman of color. Highly recommended if you like 2 Dope Queens (which you probably should).

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

NmareBfly posted:

Books 1-2 and 4-6 have excellent narration. They couldn't get the regular guy for book 3 and by all accounts the replacement sucks, but luckily enough they're actually re-recording three with the original one and expect to have it out in a couple months (E: 'by march' according to the tweet.)

It's book 4, Cibola Burn, that has the bad replacement narrator. I just finished it last week! And yeah the regular narrator is very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, John Cleese's So, Anyway is just as great as you'd expect. The man has still got it, in spades.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm listening to Norm MacDonald read his memoir, and it's every bit as amazing as I'd hoped.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NmareBfly posted:

The audio version of the mini-story of Amos' history was really excellent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm listening to Norm MacDonald read his memoir, and it's every bit as amazing as I'd hoped.

I'm pretty sure my top 3 books of last year are all autobiographies, including Norm's and Trevor Noah's.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

If anyone has an audible credit or $18 at their disposal, pick up "Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders. I'm only a few hours in, but it is fairly loving amazing. The production is amazing. It features a full cast, with Nick Offerman playing off David Sedaris for most of the first 40 chapters at least. I usually play audiobooks at 1.5 speed. I'm listening at 1.0 so I can appreciate the performances. Wholly looking forward to taking it all in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
David Copperfield narrated by Martin Jarvis is perfection. If you get the kindle edition and pay money it works out much much cheaper than a credit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
wow. they gave away 20 or 30 "great books" on audible a while back. I'm pretty sure david copperfield was in the list.

I've got THe Moonstone, Portrait of Dorian Gray, Tres Mescateros, Moby Dick, gently caress Finn (narrated by Elijah Wood), Wizard of Oz, Draculapeter pan, black beauty, wind in the willows, little women, frankenstein, wuthering heights, moll flanders, etc etc.. I'm sorry you missed the chance. :(

FWIW, I have found that the Aubrey/Matarin "Master and Commander" series is really fun in audio form, although you'll probably rewind it a bunch. It's NOT one of the freebies and I got three of them so far, they're a blast.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 18, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thing about Copperfield is not to give up on it because the beginning is depressing, it's a rollercoaster of a book but Dickens does not leave you weeping at the end of it. This time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Credits are in, and I've never read or listened to a Gaiman novel before (though I've seen Coraline, for what it's worth); anyone have an opinion on Norse Mythology?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm the odd duck who's always disappointed by Gaiman's books. The concepts are always great, but the executions are never as good as the ideas. I'll take Terry Pratchett any day.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm the odd duck who's always disappointed by Gaiman's books. The concepts are always great, but the executions are never as good as the ideas. I'll take Terry Pratchett any day.

You don't need to take him, he's already dead

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

A human heart posted:

You don't need to take him, he's already dead

:smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Peas and Rice posted:

I thought The Ocean at the End of the Lane was quite good, better than most of his, and the narration is a delight.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

precision posted:

I thought The Ocean at the End of the Lane was quite good, better than most of his, and the narration is a delight.

American Gods, as far an audobook goes, brings a lot to the table because it's a full cast reading (very well performed). I have not picked up Norse Mythology but I'm interested.

Also, I just finished Lincoln in the Bardo and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also surprised by some of the names in the end credits. It's gotta be the audiobook equivalent of a blockbuster movie or something. I went in blind outside of Offerman and Sedaris, because they're credited on the cover. It's going to make a "re-read" a little more interesting because of all the names involved in the project, I only picked out one of them based on their voice. Jeffrey Tambor. If you can go in blind and Saunders interests you at all, I'd say that's the way to do it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eat This Glob posted:

American Gods, as far an audobook goes, brings a lot to the table because it's a full cast reading (very well performed).

Oh poo poo, I knew that not! Definitely gonna grab it since it's the only book of his I've not read twice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Oh poo poo, I knew that not! Definitely gonna grab it since it's the only book of his I've not read twice.
iirc you need to get the anniversary edition for the full cast reading.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Audible is doing this "first in the series" sale right now, and The Mote In God's Eye and Forever War are both on it. Anyone listened to either of those?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

Audible is doing this "first in the series" sale right now, and The Mote In God's Eye and Forever War are both on it. Anyone listened to either of those?

I enjoyed the Mote in God's Eye. Been a while since I listened to it, but I thought it was well produced.
Obviously you should be into pretty deep SCI-FI if you are going to pick it up.

No idea about the forever war though.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

bengy81 posted:

I enjoyed the Mote in God's Eye. Been a while since I listened to it, but I thought it was well produced.
Obviously you should be into pretty deep SCI-FI if you are going to pick it up.

No idea about the forever war though.

My normal go-to is William Gibson, but I've been pretty into The Expanse lately and really like it. Not sure if any of that counts as "deep sci-fi" or not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

iirc you need to get the anniversary edition for the full cast reading.

Yeah I noticed there's two listed and grabbed the right one. I'm pretty sure the guy who does Shadow is the guy who narrated one of the Philip K. Dick novels I recently listened to, and all the voices are awesome (especially Wednesday).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

EdsTeioh posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed both but if I had to pick one I'd go with Forever War.