Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

infernal machines posted:

well the other option is gateway filtering through an appliance or dedicated server, whether that's better or worse depends on your budget and key-management policies.

oh, what, I thought that's what we were talking about the whole time. The only acceptable scenario I'm aware of (outside of just air-gapping) is a well managed chain of trust with company certs pushed down to all end points so that your appliances can seamlessly decrypt all traffic. I was referring to that scenario as being inevitable and necessary. what the gently caress kind of whack rear end a/v bonkers poo poo product were you guys talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unmanaged endpoints that roll their own certs and do mitm in whatever half-assed way the vendor designed.

it's more common than you'd expect in smaller environments, because it's dirt cheap and low effort. it's also how every consumer oriented "internet security" suite does things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so if anything can hook into the endpoint, or hijack the cert authority, you're hosed and you'd probably never notice

which would also probably not be a huge deal except for how cavalier some vendors are with their cert authorities that your machine now trusts by virtue of having their product installed

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
can you give some examples? our research team had fun with some endpoints protection stuff recently and I'd love to throw them some suggestions of things to look at next

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nothing i can show being exploited, although i'll see if i can find something.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Winkle-Daddy posted:

can you give some examples? our research team had fun with some endpoints protection stuff recently and I'd love to throw them some suggestions of things to look at next

The security appliances are in an even worse state than endpoint security, I've never gotten my hands on one that wasn't laughably bad.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

infernal machines posted:

nothing i can show being exploited, although i'll see if i can find something.

just one that looks lovely, we have a research team that's traditionally been auditing IoT devices, but some of the members have had an increased interest in endpoint security. So I'm always looking for something to name drop for them to look at.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there was an issue with avast not verifying the intercepted certs to begin with before injecting their own, i assume that was fixed because it happened back in 2015. basically going to a site with an invalid cert wouldn't trigger a warning because the browser always received a valid avast cert no matter what

more recently there's a kaspersky fuckup where their internal ca used keys that were trivial to compute

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=978

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

luxembourg's cert must have heard you, they just linked https://jhalderm.com/pub/papers/interception-ndss17.pdf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh my god. how are there still that many that don't do any kind of cert validation?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

gotta make the errors go away, man

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there was another one that didn't know how to validate SAN fields and failed in such a way that it allowed the cert to validate on practically any domain you threw at it

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
Is there any good reading on managing your own CA for personal devices?

I run a couple services on my home network that require certs. So far I've got a root CA I keep locked away, and intermediate CA I install on my personal devices, and I issue individual certs from the intermediate CA.

Looking for anything that will help me avoid a sec fuckup

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I think F5 is one of the companies to stay away from. We reported some tls issues to them and they were huge cocks about how they know what they're doing (despite providing a poc exploit)
speaking of: https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Ticketbleed+vulnerability+affects+some+f5+appliances/22051

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Winkle-Daddy posted:

my post was more directed at trying to find out what alternative to mitm'ing ssl that poster might be suggesting, obviously there are poo poo vendors (F5 *cough*) and better ones. There are poo poo deployments and good deployments. but your packets are getting inspected in corporate america.

we use f5 for ssl offloading, load balancing, and as a waf and we didn't face any issues yet. what's so bad about it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/anti-virus-vendors-are-intercepting-and-analyzing-your-https-traffic.html

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not familiar with a bunch of the names on that list but it seems to be classifying parental control software as anti virus vendors for some reason

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/02/a-rash-of-invisible-fileless-malware-is-infecting-banks-around-the-globe/

owns

quote:

Now, fileless malware is going mainstream, as financially motivated criminal hackers mimic their nation-sponsored counterparts. According to research Kaspersky Lab plans to publish Wednesday, networks belonging to at least 140 banks and other enterprises have been infected by malware that relies on the same in-memory design to remain nearly invisible. Because infections are so hard to spot, the actual number is likely much higher.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

im the ones that simultaneously validate and don't validate certificates

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

oh great now we're gonna have to do mandatory reboots every 1 hour to 'fix' the problem

Edit: also :rip:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 9, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh great now we're gonna have to do mandatory reboots every 1 hour to 'fix' the problem

Edit: also :rip:

given they explicitly call out banks and such, i'm going to guess that these things rely pretty heavily on the infrastructure being outdated and they wouldn't work as well on modern hardware that has all the fun virtual memory protection that modern operating systems offer.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

lmao what timing

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

polytopolis (eripsa's new thing) is going to roll its own crypto.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

WrenP-Complete posted:

out of poo, like a scarab

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Scarabaeus polytopolis

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

mlyp

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

supposedly an updated version of the upcoming wizardsecurity executive order: https://www.lawfareblog.com/revised-draft-trump-eo-cybersecurity

didn't see anything unusual from a skim, mostly expanding on the previous one with more detail

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

power companies should start making inroads in infosec by triggering random power outages and charging customers for it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

given they explicitly call out banks and such, i'm going to guess that these things rely pretty heavily on the infrastructure being outdated and they wouldn't work as well on modern hardware that has all the fun virtual memory protection that modern operating systems offer.

we only moved off xp and server 2003 last year so basically :rip:

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

power companies should start making inroads in infosec by triggering random power outages and charging customers for it

the only safe computer is a dead computer

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

WrenP-Complete posted:

link to details please

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

brownsomeware

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

link to details please

If you start a few pages back you'll get the gist: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804685&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=88

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

brownsomeware

AC/DC-256 encryption

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Eripsa posted:

Two factor means two distinct and independent pieces of information. I have my password, and I have my phone to receive texts. To get past two factor authentication, I need access to both, which is harder than just compromising one.

Group A requires showing a passport or DL for verification. Group B requires an extensive background check of one's criminal record and police files. Groups C requires showing up in person and taking an oath in front of a judge. These groups have trustworthy verification procedures and secure logos, and they are all independent of each other.

Group D is an activist organization with political goals. They need a secretary to run their finances. They also need someone they can trust. Group A is politically neutral, and Group D trusts their verification process. So D accepts proof of membership in A as a confirmation of identity. It can use the A logo as verification without asking for the ID directly. So Group D would have Group A's logo as a subnorm on their own logo. If you're already part of A and then join D, you now have two copies of A's logo on your bubble.

If D wants more protection, they can ask for verification of membership in both A and B. Since these logos are independently verified, this constitutes a kind of two-factor authentication. You can only have both logos by having completed both handshakes independently.

Eripsa posted:

So an ID card or passport is something you have, and not something you know?

If the logo is something I can only have a copy of upon becoming a ring member, while still being verifiable as authentic by the general public-- in other words, if the logo is a private key that I obtain upon membership that can be verified by a public key -- could it count as "something I have", and not just something I know?

My original thought was the logo would have space for verifying the identity, and so each logo would be partly unique to the user so it could work as a private key in this way. I only obtain this combination of symbols as a result of the identification handshake, so it's something I couldn't have had (or known?) before becoming a member of the ring.

edit: if I copy the logo and then the ring sends me a charm bracelet, showing the bracelet would constitute a second factor?

Eripsa posted:

Verification, identification, and authentication are all different problems from encryption. They are related, but theoretically you can solve each independently. jre was right to scold us on this, and I've found the resulting discussion very constructive.

I've been arguing that the Polytopolis offers a method of authentication or identification. I can show logos to prove who I am. As proposed, that's just a thing I know, the security equivalent of a password. Which is not, itself, a bad thing, it just means you need some other form besides a password (think you have, thing you are) to have it count as a second factor if this is to be secure.

The Polytopolis is not a security design. It is an identity management/social organization design. If you don't care about security, you could play the whole thing as a game with pure data and not worry about the security questions at all. But if the Polytopolis is actually going to be a useful tool, it better be able to address the security questions directly.

So fine. The slow, tedious D&D character sheet way of doing this for the Polytopolis is for each ring to give you a logo (password), and then send you a charm bracelet (a physical object). To prove your identity, you have to show the logo and the charm bracelet together: thing you know + thing you have. Having each ring send you different charm bracelets would be very annoying. But you can see, intuitively, how each bracelet might be laced with individual charms which stand for various norms. And the norms let you hook bracelets up together where they share norms (kernels) to be long strings of beads connecting all the bracelets together. That weaving of charm bracelets with each other and selectively showing them to interested parties would effectively accomplish both the mechanics and the security procedures for the Polytopolis. "Look, I know the password and I have the charm bracelet to prove it!"

The fancy cyberpunk 2017 way to do this is with computer chips like on your credit card. The chip is something you have, and is equipped with a bunch of security features to authenticate the transaction along with passwords and pin numbers. Having all your rings send you different chips would be annoying too, and there's not really any way to link chips to each other. Question: if two different EMV chips are on the same card (one at opposite ends), is that itself a security risk? Say the chips are configured for different banks, with their own distinct security procedures and passwords, and you use different sides of the card in different machines, depending on which bank you are accessing. Is the fact that both "things you have" are on the same physical object itself a security risk, apart from it simply being easier to lose both? Is it more secure if they are each different objects? Would it be stupid to want two different chips sitting on the same card?

Because you could do the Polytopolis with a fob that contained a stack of EMV chips, and could extend and retract the desired ones on demand like a pez dispenser, and had some operating system for linking the chips together in secure ways to manage rings and kernels. Internet tells me that an EMV chip costs about $4. An 8x8 grid of EMV chips would run about 250 dollars, the price of a cheap smart phone. 8x8 would allow for 64 different norms to be expressed. That's not very much, but it seems like a reasonable starting point for a design that could operate the Polytopolis as a secure system in the real world. In this kind of implementation, the identification process would still be about mapping ring norms, in this case by configuring a selection of the EMV chips to operate in conjunction. This fob would then be a perpetual "thing I have" that can demonstrate my identity and relative social status without necessarily revealing my name/address/DOB, and I can carry it around like a digital ID. It could even have a screen for displaying and interacting with the bubble. If the only interactions are for interfacing with the chip array inside, the device could be operated totally offline and securely, with all operations done on the machine itself.

I don't think it's plausible to imagine people carrying around a separate device for their bitcoin wallet. But a fob that could work as a secure digital identity for managing social identity and organization, up through the scales of international politics? I don't have as much trouble imagining such a device taking off. ESPECIALLY if the protocol allows people to make devices however they like and still be interoperable? Yes please.

:psyduck:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

What did I just read?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the self-identifying cat person that is very important to me

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

apseudonym posted:

What did I just read?

a seemingly ill person who thinks that they can remake the world with bitcoin and poo poo crypto

he should come here to explain why his crypto will work and give us a real technical explanation of things

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

What did I just read?
haha you read it. lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

a seemingly ill person who thinks that they can remake the world with bitcoin and poo poo crypto

he should come here to explain why his crypto will work and give us a real technical explanation of things
you will never get this because it does not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

anthonypants posted:

you will never get this because it does not exist

it involves bitcoin so that is a given

• Locked thread