Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm not sure how "didn't add muscle" = "poor work ethic"

Didn't DiPi get told to do some thing and all that working out caused his injuries

And Jake Virtanen tried to bulk up and ended up a lot stronger, but way slower and out of shape. I figure team trainers know what they're doing, but "just get stronger" isn't especially useful. Doubly so when a player has already had success at a previous weight and are used to playing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jones literally said "Screw it" and took the shot without taking time to set it up, too.

no, i don't think that he literally said that.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

At this level, the training plans for players are very specific and customized by the training staff. Some people are hard gainers but that's not news to professional fitness people and they're gonna know if someone was slacking off from a plan vs just working against genetics. Whether or not the coach interprets that the same way and doesn't interfere with the training staff is more open to question.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yup, it boils down to the fact that those with responsibility (generally older) are jealous of the unencumbered nature of those without it (the young and carefree). Placing the expectations of a 53 year old family man on a single 22 year old guy leads to situations where Seguin gets traded for a bundle of soiled rags. People do a hell of a lot of growing up and settling down in their twenties, it just requires a modicum of patience to play out.

The thing is, with high level athletes, you have to do the work when you're younger, because that's when your body can best handle the physical demands of playing a pro sport. Just about every player on an NHL roster was, at some point, an uber talented superstar manchild dominating little kids...and a lot of those guys flame out at lower levels because they get outworked by equivalent talents who are willing to put in the work as the skill level increases. In this context, 22 years old is kind of ancient...most NHL caliber players have been busting their asses since they were 13, or maybe even younger than that. If you haven't learned to put in the work by 22, that can be a big problem.

Note: I'm not conflating having a good time party boy lifestyle with working your rear end off in the gym and on the ice: these are different matters. I'd expect a millionaire in his early 20s to have a good drat time, but to still prioritize his profession over his leisure activities. It might be unfair to expect this of teenagers and early 20-somethings, but that's how sports works.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/829379363602841600

This is the woman from the UAE National Team that the Capitals invited over a few months ago practicing with the Capitals players.

Owns.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/jcutroni/status/829176108713127937

There's some RAS avatar names.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I had to look at the box score to figure out who the hell Brad Chase was. Brady Skjei

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Yeah that one was confusing the hell out of me

Matt Zerella is a very pro name and I'll be mad if someone in RAS isn't named that by the end of the day

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

The thing is, with high level athletes, you have to do the work when you're younger, because that's when your body can best handle the physical demands of playing a pro sport. Just about every player on an NHL roster was, at some point, an uber talented superstar manchild dominating little kids...and a lot of those guys flame out at lower levels because they get outworked by equivalent talents who are willing to put in the work as the skill level increases. In this context, 22 years old is kind of ancient...most NHL caliber players have been busting their asses since they were 13, or maybe even younger than that. If you haven't learned to put in the work by 22, that can be a big problem.

Note: I'm not conflating having a good time party boy lifestyle with working your rear end off in the gym and on the ice: these are different matters. I'd expect a millionaire in his early 20s to have a good drat time, but to still prioritize his profession over his leisure activities. It might be unfair to expect this of teenagers and early 20-somethings, but that's how sports works.

Of course, these are pro-athletes we're talking about. You don't get to the NHL by coasting on talent alone (Kovalev excepted). Players are required to commit full time from the age of 12 Still, Gostisbehere isn't some rookie who dominated junior and is now struggling at the pro level. He's had success in the NHL, some would say a great deal of it. He's having a sophmore slump, but they happen. Nothing has changed from his rookie season in regards to work ethic, training, etc. (or at least we can assume he hasn't suddenly decided to start hanging out at strip clubs and chugging codeine). So why has the team suddenly decided he's not trying hard enough? Why wasn't that identified last year? And if it was, why did the team feel they had to modify a successful formula? Why is it that apparently coasting on talent worked one year, then isn't close to good enough the next?

I just find that mindset odd. High risk, high reward players like Gotisbehere are just that. You have to take the good with the bad, and accept that when they're not dominating offensively they can be a big of a drag. With that said, they're generally a positive asset for their team and you have to let them work through their struggles. What is he learning glued to a seat in the pressbox? He knows he's not doing well, what does crushing his confidence accomplish? He's a classic whipping boy and is being scapegoated for the team's struggles since their winning streak, something he's had very little to do with. His mistakes are more prominent than others, so he gets the short end of the stick when players like Bellemare and Weise who bust their asses are probably a far bigger detriment to the team.

They're damaging their relationship with their best young defenceman just to what, prove a point about hard work? If my boss started criticizing me for every mistake I made and told me what I'd been succesful with in the past was suddenly not good enough, I'd harbour some resentment. Sure as poo poo when contract time came around, I wouldn't be doing management any budgetary favours.

This is a repeat of what happened to Subban and we all know how that ended. If the Habs had treated him with just a bit more tact, they'd probably still have him and likely could've paid him far less than they ultimately did. It's such a strange policy to me. Play hardball and penny pinch with the guys that don't matter so much, not the nucleus of your defence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's having a slight slump but a big part of it is coming down from exceptional luck.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Yeah that one was confusing the hell out of me

Matt Zerella is a very pro name and I'll be mad if someone in RAS isn't named that by the end of the day

Rest easy, friend.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pro name change

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Panotch tweeted that Ghost was practicing with the 1st unit PP today, and that they were having him pair up with Provorov a couple times

Then he was the last one off the ice which usually means healthy scratch

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

:siren: Tyler Dellow is back baby :siren:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticTO/status/829338398951342080

his return to twitter.com is also confirmed in a reply???

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Nothing has changed from his rookie season in regards to work ethic, training, etc. (or at least we can assume he hasn't suddenly decided to start hanging out at strip clubs and chugging codeine). So why has the team suddenly decided he's not trying hard enough? Why wasn't that identified last year? And if it was, why did the team feel they had to modify a successful formula? Why is it that apparently coasting on talent worked one year, then isn't close to good enough the next?

I have absolutely no idea about Gotitsbear's daily routine or work ethic or anything else, but it certainly isn't unheard of for pro athletes to suddenly and dramatically fall off performance-wise due to a lack of work ethic after having achieved something big (usually the big contract, but could be making it to the big leagues too). There could be any number of things that are causing the sophomore slump; not working hard could certainly be one of them. Point being, it isn't at all unreasonable for a coach or manager to get on a guy for not meeting the expectations the team or organization has with regard to work ethic. It might be misguided in some cases, but in other cases it is totally warranted (note: I do not have any idea where Gotitsbear falls on this spectrum).

I do agree though that pro sports teams in general are exceedingly impatient and a variety of bad things comes from this behavior.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing is that even if his work ethic is the problem, benching a guy doesn't actually fix his work ethic. It just makes your team worse.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

What I'm understanding is it's less on Ghostbear not playing up to a Norris level standard but the Flyers organization having no clue what they are doing with development.

e ^ Yeah, benching a kid a bunch is detrimental always.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bewbies posted:

I have absolutely no idea about Gotitsbear's daily routine or work ethic or anything else, but it certainly isn't unheard of for pro athletes to suddenly and dramatically fall off performance-wise due to a lack of work ethic after having achieved something big (usually the big contract, but could be making it to the big leagues too). There could be any number of things that are causing the sophomore slump; not working hard could certainly be one of them. Point being, it isn't at all unreasonable for a coach or manager to get on a guy for not meeting the expectations the team or organization has with regard to work ethic. It might be misguided in some cases, but in other cases it is totally warranted (note: I do not have any idea where Gotitsbear falls on this spectrum).

I do agree though that pro sports teams in general are exceedingly impatient and a variety of bad things comes from this behavior.

Go tits bear

that's some person's fetish somewhere

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It seems like the Flyers have a similar problem as the Cardinals: Good GM but a dumbass coach who works to undermine the GM?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gostisbehere rocking a 95 PDO is probably why he looks bad.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

The thing is that even if his work ethic is the problem, benching a guy doesn't actually fix his work ethic. It just makes your team worse.

There aren't much things worse for an athlete than to be not playing when you think you should be playing....in hockey this goes for never ever beer leaguers all the way to the NHL. If indiscipline is the issue here, having a game or two to stew about it can be a pretty effective motivator. If the issue is a developmental one however that's a different story.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Rest easy, friend.

Excellent

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

There aren't much things worse for an athlete than to be not playing when you think you should be playing....in hockey this goes for never ever beer leaguers all the way to the NHL. If indiscipline is the issue here, having a game or two to stew about it can be a pretty effective motivator. If the issue is a developmental one however that's a different story.

Sitting out for a week isn't going to fix serious behavioural issues.

Having a season where your totals suck is much more likely to get you working hard in the summer. I have real doubts that this accomplishes anything other than creating a distraction.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Benching the ghost is stupid, work ethic be damned.

Anyways, Montreal sent down De La Rose and called up Carr and McCarron.

It's mostly arranging deck chairs, whatever.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone get this lady on set with Don Cherry

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean he's like, what, 22 or 23? It wouldn't surprise me if he feels like he doesn't have to work any harder because of how well he played last year. Not that I'm much older than him, but young people are stupid. I'm actually pretty stupid too.

Anyway, it's still probably dumb to sit him.

Yeah it's common enough to have earned a name, the "sophomore slump", for when a young player has a real good 1st season and seems to think "well I'm awesome now I don't need to work any harder than I was before obviously I have this poo poo figured out" and then they struggle next season. It's probably really annoying for teams though because they're for sure saying "no really you need to work on these things it doesn't get easier from here it gets harder" and then the players don't do that.

ThinkTank posted:

Is there a lazier cliche in sports than "bad work ethic" for a young player? It's thrown about constantly, but I can count on one hand the number of times it has been true. In the vast majority of cases the answer is "players improve at different rates and can stagnate for a bit after having some initial success." Assuming that a drop in performance is suddenly the result of too much partying/not being a team guy instead of a natural part of the ups and downs of a pro career is just lazy. Not everyone is a Sidney Crosby beep boop never stop working machine.

I think the term "bad work ethic" is overused because most of the guys probably work harder at their job than the vast majority of regular people, but I do believe that like I said you have some guys who need to improve on things but don't for whatever reason (they think that since they did well the year before they don't need to improve their weak points, etc). That doesn't mean they're slacking though, they're still working out and in NHL hockey shape, it's just that they didn't spend the time to improve their weaknesses if they could.

But that all said yeah just straight benching him is pretty dumb.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm not sure how "didn't add muscle" = "poor work ethic"

Didn't DiPi get told to do some thing and all that working out caused his injuries

That was probably DiPietro being dumb but it's also a bit different when you're talking about goalies.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

People also hit physical and psychological limits that they have to learn to work around/through. This can create unfair perceptions where others see a problem with work-ethic that is actually more about unlocking your mind to reach new limits or finding out how to deal with your body as things change. I know all too well how injuries can throw someone off track when they are used to a particular workout routine that they have to to change and then find the results aren't the same. It can take a long time to figure that stuff out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What exactly happened with DiPietro, anyways? He really seemed like he'd be very successful. Was bulking up the only thing?

Although, looking at his numbers in school/U.S. National team, they're not that great. I suppose I just fell for the hype but maybe there's something I'm missing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What exactly happened with DiPietro, anyways? He really seemed like he'd be very successful. Was bulking up the only thing?

Although, looking at his numbers in school/U.S. National team, they're not that great. I suppose I just fell for the hype but maybe there's something I'm missing.
Injuries, hype and bad Isles teams. They gave him an absolutely insane 15 year contract that would be hard for most to live up to.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
There are currently only two teams in the Atlantic division that have positive goal differentials. And one of them has 9 rookies. Atlantic real bad.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The NHL is a joke league, look at this poo poo

https://www.nhl.com/video/situation-room-sjs-vs-buf/t-277781830/c-49201303

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

There are currently only two teams in the Atlantic division that have positive goal differentials. And one of them has 9 rookies. Atlantic real bad.

3 of them will make the playoffs because reasons

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

3 of them will make the playoffs because reasons

Good. The Metro doesn't deserve to get extra teams just because they get to play the Atlantic so often.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/829379363602841600

This is the woman from the UAE National Team that the Capitals invited over a few months ago practicing with the Capitals players.

Owns.

What's the story behind this? Was there a reason they reached out to her/invited her?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Anze Kopidor and Brad Doty

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Is that Don Cherry's daughter?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
DiPietro had a lot of talent I think but yeah injuries screwed his career. I think what amounted to his career ending hip injury occurred while he was at the all-star game

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

DiPietro had a lot of talent I think but yeah injuries screwed his career. I think what amounted to his career ending hip injury occurred while he was at the all-star game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlHOBZLN5E yup

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

e:f,b.

But yes. Hype, unrealistic expectations, playing behind a real bad Islanders team, and injuries riggitywrecked DiPi. Also, DiPietro was hurt by the Brodeur rule.

It's wild that the Isles traded away Luongo and Olli Jokinen for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. To make room for DiPietro. What the gently caress, man.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dipietro's hip problems forced him to try and adopt a new style as more of a standup goalie and he could not make it work.

• Locked thread