Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Incan Gold and Las Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Yeah Mysterium is excellent but good luck finishing in one hour.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is fun at 6 players.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Deception is kinda similar to Mysterium but you could easily get two games of it in.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

I love Las Vegas and I got so excited about playing it but it's only for 5p. :( Incan Gold looks cool though, I've never played that

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Doug posted:

I love Las Vegas and I got so excited about playing it but it's only for 5p. :( Incan Gold looks cool though, I've never played that

Havent played it but i heard good things about For Sale. My other recommendation is 6 nimmt! .

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Doug posted:

I've managed to get my co-workers hooked on board games, which is decidedly a good thing. However, our player count sucks. We regularly have 6 players and need something playable in an hour-ish.

So far we've played:
7 Wonders
King of Tokyo
River Dragons
Citadels(too long)
Avalon
Secret Hitler
Sushi Go Party

No one has really poo poo on anything because for the most part they're all new players and just like everything. Anyone have any other suggestions to fit this criteria? Ideally, we'd just split 3 and 3 and play some better games but there seems to be some pretty good resistance with splitting the group.

Camel Up, Steampunk Rally, Skull, and Bohnanza are all perfect in every way for 6 players at an hourish.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm bad at judging time, but Libertalia plays 6 and features some simultaneous play so you may be able to get it in an hour.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Colt Express?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Doug posted:

I've managed to get my co-workers hooked on board games, which is decidedly a good thing. However, our player count sucks. We regularly have 6 players and need something playable in an hour-ish.

Steampunk rally is a really good game that plays a lot of people. It might take more than an hour with instruction the first time but it'll definitly hit an hour or less every time after.

Hanabi is good for if you ever get just 5

6 Nimmnt! Is a decent short game that you could play a few rounds of

TransAmerica is a simple little train game that I enjoy, it's like Ticket to Ride lite

Hick Hack in Gackelwack is the absurd german name for a game called Pick Picnic which is simple card game about chickens trying to eat corn without getting eaten by foxes. The only reason I mention the name is you have to buy the german named one on Amazon, it comes with english rules and everything though.

Everything except Steampunk Rally (~$40) should be $10-$25 online. They are simpler games to be sure but that's kind of what you get at that playercount/time limitation

E: also Falling is a game about hitting the ground last to win

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Carcassonne with that one expansion plays 6, and it's all right.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Skull! Boy, do I loving love Skull.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Doug posted:

Ideally, we'd just split 3 and 3 and play some better games but there seems to be some pretty good resistance with splitting the group.

I would still make an effort to try to break them out of this mindset now, before you start getting even more people roll up and it turns into a clusterfuck. Even if it's just going 'look, if we split the amount of games we can do increases tenfold, guys'. Bring 7 Wonders Duel and a four player game or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theroachman posted:

Yeah Mysterium is excellent but good luck finishing in one hour.

Mysterium has a timer that prevents it taking an hour.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Argent: the Consortium, with the expansion :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ugg-tect.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jedit posted:

Mysterium has a timer that prevents it taking an hour.

Pfft that's like using the timer in galaxy trucker man' Biggest itne consumation is just spending so much on the setup imo.

but yeah it's easy for people to way overanalyze cards. I think in general I can take one look at what I got and decide what it was supposed to represent correctly most of the time, but also that might be just because all know what people go for (i..e. X loves to choose color as their representation, etc), whereas some will spend minutes deciding.

Speaking of which, Hidden Signs any good? We like Mysterium, although setup is an utter bitch and a half, but the bigger problem is we felt we've seen all the cards with not really enough variation in both dream cards and objects and things started to run together way too often even just after several games of it. We thought about putting Dixit cards in but that might be a little too distracting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xaris posted:

Speaking of which, Hidden Signs any good?

It's just more objects and dreams. I fully integrated it and we haven't noticed a difference, but you might if you've played the original cards to exhaustion.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Just picked up Valley of the Kings. Are any of the expansions worth looking into?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Both are really good if you like the original. Afterlife is the best of the three, Last Rites has the most complex card interactions and powerful combos. You can also combine or mix the sets to customize the deck.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 8, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

Just picked up Valley of the Kings. Are any of the expansions worth looking into?

It doesn't have expansions. The other boxes are standalone variants of the same game. Afterlife is faster and Last Rites is combo-based.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

What Race for the Galaxy expansions are worth getting first? I currently only own the base game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Behold, the ultimate kickstarter turd.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmitrylaier/raccoon-madness-game?ref=project_link

Mash up liars dice, exploding kittens and lazy pop culture references, and you get this piece of poo poo. Of course, it's already raised 11,000 euros.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Resonance22 posted:

On a whim after a dreadful game called Left Right Center or something (calling it a game is generous) I proposed playing Skull by proxying it with playing cards, and it went great and I need to pick me up a real copy of it. Anything that can get my family to invite me to play games that don't suck with them.

By the way my whole family loves left right center and I can't fathom why. What are normal people.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

The End posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmitrylaier/raccoon-madness-game?ref=project_link

Mash up liars dice, exploding kittens and lazy pop culture references, and you get this piece of poo poo. Of course, it's already raised 11,000 euros.

How does a game that is essentially Cheat or Bullshit, or whatever local variation exists, earn any money, particularly with the threat that you could be forced to 'have fun' for two to three hours.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

The End posted:

This only has like 175 backers scattered among 20-30€ pledge tiers, so someone had to kick in a lot to get them past the goal line. Is this some kickstarter scheme that you put money up yourself to get funded and increase your profile on the site?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Both are really good if you like the original. Afterlife is the best of the three, Last Rites has the most complex card interactions and powerful combos. You can also combine or mix the sets to customize the deck.

I play a lot of VotK and I agree with this. Both are good but Afterlife is my preference. Last Rites is more complex but slower (more counting, searching, and action chains).

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Fellis posted:

This only has like 175 backers scattered among 20-30€ pledge tiers, so someone had to kick in a lot to get them past the goal line. Is this some kickstarter scheme that you put money up yourself to get funded and increase your profile on the site?

If you do the math, it would seem that each of the backers in the 1 dollar tier pledged 1337 dollars.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Fellis posted:

Yeah that's pretty sketchy. Adding up every pledge tier gives them ~7k euros. Their total is 5K above that.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Resonance22 posted:

Yeah, we had a smaller group to start and we played a fair amount of Welcome to the Dungeon, so Skull should be pretty well received.

Stelas posted:

I would still make an effort to try to break them out of this mindset now, before you start getting even more people roll up and it turns into a clusterfuck. Even if it's just going 'look, if we split the amount of games we can do increases tenfold, guys'. Bring 7 Wonders Duel and a four player game or something.

I'm not giving up the effort yet. Space is somewhat of an issue but I'd imagine we could make it work.

For now I've got these on my watch list:
Incan Gold
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
For Sale
6 Nimmt
Camel Up
Steampunk Rally
Skull
Bohnanza

Thanks for the recommendations!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Doug posted:

Yeah, we had a smaller group to start and we played a fair amount of Welcome to the Dungeon, so Skull should be pretty well received.

I'm not giving up the effort yet. Space is somewhat of an issue but I'd imagine we could make it work.

For now I've got these on my watch list:
Incan Gold
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
For Sale
6 Nimmt
Camel Up
Steampunk Rally
Skull
Bohnanza

Thanks for the recommendations!

There's also a Camel Up card game that's out now, I have no idea how good it is but it plays 6.

PrinnySquadron posted:

What Race for the Galaxy expansions are worth getting first? I currently only own the base game.

I'd go with The Gathering Storm or Alien Artifacts. In general Race expansions don't mix well, you want just to pick one and play it a while. The Gathering Storm adds goals (objectives basically), which are nice, but AA has more cards and an objective like mechanic. AA is a complete stand alone expansion, while TGS has stuff that is required for the rest of its expansion cycle, so if you want to try everything TGS might be a better choice.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 8, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't like one night werewolf partially because i dont like keeping my eyes closed for large stretches of time

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Does the normal Werewolf actually allow the werewolves to do something i.e. kill one of the villagers after each round? My family loved ONUW, but I found it sort of lacking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I didn't like one night werewolf partially because i dont like keeping my eyes closed for large stretches of time

You can just look away, put your hands over your eyes, etc. That's kind of a weird reason to not like the game. Did you also hate heads up 7 up in school?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Does anyone else feel like Sirlin's boardgames are "outsider art?" I get the impression that he doesn't actually like playing boardgames. Obviously he played Dominion enough to copy it, for example, but I don't feel like he actually plays boardgames like most boardgame designers do. I feel that's why his boardgames are always weirdly outside of other games. I've seen people I play fighting games with own Yomi and no other boardgames, and I've never seen anyone bring a Sirlin game to a BG meetup.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

You can just look away, put your hands over your eyes, etc. That's kind of a weird reason to not like the game. Did you also hate heads up 7 up in school?

maybe I don't remember ever playing it. I just feel like everyone is sitting around with their eyes closed isn't a very engaging gameplay mechanic

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well that's more round setup than gameplay. All of the engagement is in the discussion when everyone "wakes up". The eyes closed part is only like 1-2 minutes depending on roles, whereas the recommended discussion phase length is 5 minutes. That said, if your group isn't into it, the game can fall flat just like Spyfall. Ironically, the only group I ever had this problem with were goons who just didn't seem to understand the social skills needed to figure out who was the werewolf or bluff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

angel opportunity posted:

Does anyone else feel like Sirlin's boardgames are "outsider art?" I get the impression that he doesn't actually like playing boardgames. Obviously he played Dominion enough to copy it, for example, but I don't feel like he actually plays boardgames like most boardgame designers do. I feel that's why his boardgames are always weirdly outside of other games. I've seen people I play fighting games with own Yomi and no other boardgames, and I've never seen anyone bring a Sirlin game to a BG meetup.

I think some other designers have been interviewed and asked what other designers games they okay and the answer was that they didn't, really.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Paging Rutibex
Why You Should Never Play Monopoly Again

I eagerly anticipate your reasoning why he's all wrong and how he just doesn't understand the optimal strategies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Any recommendations for what to buy for a person who is sort of new to the hobby but generally gravitates towards Ameritrash/4X type stuff? His current collection consists of Pandemic Legacy, Cry Havoc, GoT the board game, Inis, and then some lighter stuff like Love Letter, Sushi Go, Camel Camel, etc. I'd like to keep it in the $30-$40 range, and it doesn't have to specifically be 4X.