Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If anyone should be fired it should be the conditioning coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If anyone should be fired it should be the conditioning coach.

Atlanta D played 96 snaps. What s&c coach would be able to adequately prepare for that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hunt11 posted:

If heads are to roll in the Falcons then it should be the offensive coaching that gets hit first.

Well, the OC was gone before he could get fired.

And yeah the Atlanta D was great, they collapsed once they had played about halfway through their second full game worth of snaps because the offense couldn't keep up their end.

Nov 6, 2002

swickles posted:

Atlanta D played 96 snaps. What s&c coach would be able to adequately prepare for that?

The ones in charge of New England's offense.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/2/7/14522976/super-bowl-li-patriots-were-in-much-better-condition-than-the-falcons-late-in-the-game

quote:

The New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons have two different approaches to game day preparation. The Patriots want to focus on strength and stamina. The Falcons prefer quickness and freshness. The Patriots wore pads at practice leading into the AFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl. The Falcons avoided pads for the last couple months of the season.

“We feel fresher going into the games,” Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox explained via ESPN’s Mike Reiss. “What works for them might not work for us. We've been relatively healthy. Some people believe that putting the pads on is mental toughness, but at the end of the day, your team might need to be mentally tough while our team might need to be physically fresh. It's just what you believe in; there's no right or wrong answer. I've seen both sides of it, and they both work.”

Well, the Falcons were woefully unprepared for the Patriots offense to run 99 snaps (including six negated by penalty) as the Patriots tired out the Falcons defense.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yes, playing defense and offense are the same.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's possible Atlanta's conditioning in general wasn't as good as it could have been, but past a certain point if your offense can't stay on the field your defense is just gonna die regardless. A 2:1 disparity in plays run and almost 2:1 disparity in time of possession is just insanity.

The Falcons had played what is typically a full game of defensive snaps by the time they were up 28-3. But they had the rest of the 3rd quarter, the 4th quarter, and OT still to play. That exhaustion was probably exacerbated by how much man coverage they were playing and how aggressive they were in general - but of course that's how they held the Patriots to 3 in the first place. If they played more soft zone and rushed less aggressively then Brady would have just re-enacted his performance in the Steelers game and never had to stage a late comeback in the first place, because he murders those kind of defensive schemes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Pats fans need to shut the gently caress up about what the Falcons did wrong. You're all with the guy who murdered Wheez and you should be ashamed.

Nov 6, 2002

Sorry your team choked feller. I hope you find peace.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe stop rubbing it in? :shrug:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

hire tom brady's....supplement...company?

Honestly the Falcons defense had a lot of pretty looking stats and big hits, and they might improve, but overall they were a fairly mediocre to average unit this year.

A lot of fans defense of them on here rings eerily similar to the "saints are taught to cause turnovers" talking points from new orleans' super bowl run.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Pats fans need to shut the gently caress up about what the Falcons did wrong. You're all with the guy who murdered Wheez and you should be ashamed.

Nobody knows what good football looks like more than us.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Nobody knows what good football looks like more than us.

Nobody knows what the spoils of cheating looks like more than Pats fans, maybe.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Nobody knows what the spoils of cheating looks like more than Pats fans, maybe.

maybe you should cheat better :confused:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Stop being dickheads.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

it will be weird when the pats arent good anymore

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
No one has any idea how good the strength and conditioning programs of individual franchises are, much less based on a single game at the end of the season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Falcons just had their healthiest season ever.

Yes perhaps it is in fact the SC coach's fault.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Stop being dickheads.

Alright.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

FizFashizzle posted:

Why in the world atlanta didn't just promote him.....

It's been rumoured since the divisional round, I'm assuming they had something in place already.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
And so begins the Dan Quinn coaching tree.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My god is that tom cables music

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chilichimp posted:

And so begins the Dan Quinn coaching tree.
Shanahan should not fall under that, or are you referring to someone else?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Shanahan should not fall under that, or are you referring to someone else?

It wasn't a sincere post.

FizFashizzle posted:

gently caress you, man. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Maybe Tom Cable would be a good dline coach.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
NE and their fans love to lecture everyone else on everything. They don't just have to cheat and win hundreds of fraudulent games and championships, they also need to tell you about what geniuses they are while doing it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Falcons are looking to hire internal for DC: Marquand Manuel

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

Stop being dickheads.

I mean, it would be nice to be able to talk about football without everything degenerating into gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat/LOL YOU SUCK or passive-aggressive smarmy shitheadery, but I don't think that's possible. :shrug:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ohhhhh, it just hit me that it's that Bryan Cox.

Yeah, I can understand him being fired.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

FizFashizzle posted:

Your lips, God's ears, etc. Just get him out of here.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Ohhhhh, it just hit me that it's that Bryan Cox.

Yeah, I can understand him being fired.

Yes.

Brian cox of buttoning polo shirt collar/Hard Knocks fame. Like WAC said in another thread, he was on borrowed time anyway. He was a Smith hire.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

No one has any idea how good the strength and conditioning programs of individual franchises are, much less based on a single game at the end of the season.

*looks at the Chargers IR list the past three seasons*

Hmmm

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

*looks at the Chargers IR list the past three seasons*

Hmmm
Past like....6 seasons?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Past like....6 seasons?

Yeah but the past three have been especially egregious

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

Yeah but the past three have been especially egregious
Fair enough. I just cant remember the last time Rivers has had a decent and healthy OLine to stand behind, or the same WRs to throw to consistently through the season.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Not to go all "well actually", but the Chargers' o-line this year mostly stayed healthy. It just turns out they're a bunch of scrubs even when they're healthy.

But yeah, you're correct in essence. It also doesn't help that AJ really liked gambling on players who had major injuries in college (pretty much all the first rounders from 07 to 2010 except for Cason), which exacerbated the issue for the late Norv teams. Telesco doesn't do it as much, Allen and Verrett aside.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Durandal1707 posted:

Not to go all "well actually", but the Chargers' o-line this year mostly stayed healthy. It just turns out they're a bunch of scrubs even when they're healthy.

But yeah, you're correct in essence. It also doesn't help that AJ really liked gambling on players who had major injuries in college (pretty much all the first rounders from 07 to 2010 except for Cason), which exacerbated the issue for the late Norv teams. Telesco doesn't do it as much, Allen and Verrett aside.
Oh, thats good to know. I didnt follow football as closely this year as usual so I had no idea. Also doesnt Allen keep having freak injuries?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Chilichimp posted:

Looks like Falcons are looking to hire internal for DC: Marquand Manuel

Oh hey, that's what happened to him. :unsmith: He was a solid depth DB for the Seahawks. Good for him.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The 49ers have a new D-line coach, former assistant coach for the Giants, Jeff Zgonina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycUl3a8lDkA

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Somehow I'm not surprised Jed York hired a dog as a coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gus Bradley has announced that the Chargers will be switching to a 4-3

• Locked thread