Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

GodspeedSphere posted:

I did a quick once over and didn't see anything about whittling? Any goon opinions on good starter info? I'm looking for a hobby to keep my hands busy and be more mindless but repetitive and focusing.

edit: gonna move this question to the DIY forum instead, but I'll leave it here just in case anyone had any knock out ideas.

This goes back decades, but when I was a boy scout we used to be able to buy these little whittling kits that already had an image printed on them. A Small block of wood with an eagle or whatever printed on all sides so you just kind of carved away the excess. Very basic. So I'm sure that stuff still exists, along with more complex ones.

You could also get a wood block and transfer your own image onto it with carbon paper or whatever I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I asked this in the Ask/tell stupid questions thread to no avail, hope it's ok here:

Is there a thread for gif requests? I want to have an avatar made from an existing gif.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hi! After a very long hiatus from art, I'm looking to get back into it.

My q:
What's the go-to cheap drawing tablet nowadays? I have, and still use, my very first drawing tablet - a wacom graphire 4 from like 03. I figure there's way better stuff out now at that price range.

Samuelthebold
Jul 9, 2007
Astra Superstar
EDIT: Never mind, I think I found the answer. Sorry!

Samuelthebold fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 27, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

M42 posted:

Hi! After a very long hiatus from art, I'm looking to get back into it.

My q:
What's the go-to cheap drawing tablet nowadays? I have, and still use, my very first drawing tablet - a wacom graphire 4 from like 03. I figure there's way better stuff out now at that price range.

Huion probably makes the cheapest but still half way decent tablet. Just make sure you check the reviews on any individual tablet before you buy it, as quality sometimes varies wildly between product lines.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there like, some gold standard for what program most tablet artists use? I've been using Corel Painter since it came with my Wacom tablet but I'm getting kind of frustrated with how glitchy it is and the lack of some basic features that even MS Paint has. I've got some cash to spare right now so I figured I might get another program better suited for general purpose drawing, but I have no idea what most people use.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there like, some gold standard for what program most tablet artists use? I've been using Corel Painter since it came with my Wacom tablet but I'm getting kind of frustrated with how glitchy it is and the lack of some basic features that even MS Paint has. I've got some cash to spare right now so I figured I might get another program better suited for general purpose drawing, but I have no idea what most people use.

Photoshop is still the industry standard but I'd say clip studio (also known as Manga Studio) is the best bang for your buck program and some people do enjoy painting in it more than PS (it does feel pretty nice). So if you don't need PS for a particular feature then I'd say give Clip/Manga Studio a try. Just get the regular version (that's Pro, not Ex) and if you want wait for a sale/coupon you can get it for around 20-30 bucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I figured photoshop was the answer. I'd actually like to use it since I used to work with it back in school. However, as far as I can tell its impossible to actually buy the bloody thing now. Instead you have to do some subscription nonsense that requires a monthly fee. I have no idea how that even works but it sounds like a pain and also a big waste of money for what is unfortunately just a hobby.

I'll look into Clip Studio to see if I can work with that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Creative Cloud subscription for Photoshop is unfortunate insofar that you cannot buy it outright, but if it's any consolation, it works pretty well and the price for just PS is fairly reasonable.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I figured photoshop was the answer. I'd actually like to use it since I used to work with it back in school. However, as far as I can tell its impossible to actually buy the bloody thing now. Instead you have to do some subscription nonsense that requires a monthly fee. I have no idea how that even works but it sounds like a pain and also a big waste of money for what is unfortunately just a hobby.

I'll look into Clip Studio to see if I can work with that.

Sketchbook Pro is also subscription based, but it's only 30 bucks a year. They also have a free version you can try (indefinitely) before you buy, you're just not able to create custom brushes or use more than 3 layers in it. So maybe give that a shot and see how you like it, it does better than Photoshop at mimicking traditional media, and has a few tools that photoshop lacks like a french curve/ellipse tool that allow you to draw better curved lines.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Well, with the Creative Cloud subscription you also get all them other programs.

Like Illustrator. Which I use 90% of the time. With my Wacom.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
I would recommend photoshop if you are trying to make a career out of digital painting as it is the industry standard. There might be a way to get your hands on an older version for cheaper than CC. When I was a student I used a free program called gimp. It was pretty good it was mostly limited in what you can make the brushes do, but this was almost 10 years ago so it may have been updated since then.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

openCanvas is also pretty nice for painting and sketching, and has a lot of useful tools (like for perspective), plus a 120 day trial. You could give that a try too. It goes on sale every so often on Steam, so can be gotten for pretty cheaply

However I bought the Steam version after the free trial and it doesn't seem to be exactly the same as the (non Steam) trial-like the watercolour brush seems to work differently, or is set up differently, and there's no real mention or discussions about this anywhere so you have to play around with it all over again.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I'm having a problem in wordpress where when I used the code in my sticky [display-posts post_per_page= "99" order= "DESC"] only ten posts are linked. I have gone into the reader options and changed this to higher than ten but nothing worked. I also asked about this on the wordpress help forum but nobody offered any help.

Any of you rude dudes know what the problem might be?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My girlfriend and I do a podcast together and prior to starting it we knew nothing about sound editing, recording, website design, podcasts, microphones, computers or toasters. We're getting better, but our website loving sucks. How much would it cost to have someone spend the day making it look reasonable? I don't need a webmaster; once it's organized and someone can tell me what goes where I can probably just handle it myself (it's just a wordpress thing, but it's confusing to me and also the main computer I use won't load it unless I do some really weird stuff and it's overall a big pain in the rear end)

I was thinking of offering fifty bucks. Is that unreasonable?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

credburn posted:

My girlfriend and I do a podcast together and prior to starting it we knew nothing about sound editing, recording, website design, podcasts, microphones, computers or toasters. We're getting better, but our website loving sucks. How much would it cost to have someone spend the day making it look reasonable? I don't need a webmaster; once it's organized and someone can tell me what goes where I can probably just handle it myself (it's just a wordpress thing, but it's confusing to me and also the main computer I use won't load it unless I do some really weird stuff and it's overall a big pain in the rear end)

I was thinking of offering fifty bucks. Is that unreasonable?

Different designers have different rates, but for all professional web designers I know that offer would cause them to immediately stop responding to your emails. What you're asking for, even if you promise to take whatever design they create with no changes or corrections at all, will take at least one full work day to do. 50 dollars divided by 8 hours comes out to around $6.25/hr, or about a dollar less than the federally mandated minimum wage.

Contact some designers, talk with them and find out what the going rate in your area is, and get an idea of the budget you'll need for what you want (or, get an idea for what you can get with the budget you are stuck with).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

gmc9987 posted:

Different designers have different rates, but for all professional web designers I know that offer would cause them to immediately stop responding to your emails. What you're asking for, even if you promise to take whatever design they create with no changes or corrections at all, will take at least one full work day to do. 50 dollars divided by 8 hours comes out to around $6.25/hr, or about a dollar less than the federally mandated minimum wage.

Contact some designers, talk with them and find out what the going rate in your area is, and get an idea of the budget you'll need for what you want (or, get an idea for what you can get with the budget you are stuck with).

Well, honestly I don't need a mega professional overhaul. It doesn't need to *do* anything neat. It just needs to not look like an eyesore with unintuitive links and whatever. I really think someone with competence could get it done in two hours. I think I could get it done in a day if I weren't so lazy.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

credburn posted:

Well, honestly I don't need a mega professional overhaul. It doesn't need to *do* anything neat. It just needs to not look like an eyesore with unintuitive links and whatever. I really think someone with competence could get it done in two hours. I think I could get it done in a day if I weren't so lazy.

Part of what you're paying for is the expertise to make something "not look like an eyesore." There's more to even a simple job like this than just diving in to the code and making it not look ugly, you've got to come up with a plan first for the layout and translate that into code. You've got to test on different browsers to make sure it looks the same across the board. Do you want people to be able to access the site on mobile? That's also got to be considered. I would still ask some web designers how long it would take and what sort of budget you'd want, maybe you'll find someone who'll do it at that price point but for my estimation $50 is still pretty lowball.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Please just make a site on Squarespace. Not kidding.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

credburn posted:

You are a Bad Client and will continue to be if you maintain this attitude. I don't know how crappy your site looks (probably very) but anyone who can make a pile of poo poo look good in two hours is going to laugh at your offer.

Quality custom design takes time and knowledge. If you're unwilling to pay for either I agree that you should use something like Squarespace.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As a designer, pleeeaaase just find a service that will sell you a nice template for $25, save yourself some money, and avoid looking like a dork.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is there a drawing tablet thread?

Looking to get one for under $100 to help someone get into digital art.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

gmc9987 posted:

Sketchbook Pro is also subscription based, but it's only 30 bucks a year. They also have a free version you can try (indefinitely) before you buy, you're just not able to create custom brushes or use more than 3 layers in it. So maybe give that a shot and see how you like it, it does better than Photoshop at mimicking traditional media, and has a few tools that photoshop lacks like a french curve/ellipse tool that allow you to draw better curved lines.

Sketchbook Pro's purchase system is really weird and confusing. I know about that $30/year thing but I'm also 100% certain that I have a copy of Sketchbook which isn't subscription-based, and which I purchased from Autodesk's website back in 2014 for something like $40-$50. I recall that I needed my purchase info for some reason once, and somehow just ended up at the subscription page.

I think it might be related to the region of the Autodesk store you're visiting.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hey, so I'm in my final semester of my web design program and one of my classes involves real work group projects. Our client isn't going to have a blog for her site anymore and doesn't really want to touch it at all once it's complete, so we're thinking we wouldn't need to use Wordpress that is already installed on her hosting. Neither me nor my partner took the Content Management Systems class and have never used Wordpress before.

The client has just approved one of our compositions, so now we're ready to start coding.

However, my partner now wants us to do the site in Wordpress because we'll need to make an email form and she's not sure if she can do proper authentication on it, so wants to use Wordpress's system for it. It's just a simple email form with a few checkboxes and maybe a calendar to select some dates. My partner has taken PHP class and I have not.

So my question is, is it reasonable to learn Wordpress and create a custom theme that matches our composition in 2 months, just for an email form?

In my opinion, it is not and I think we could just as easily use other online resources to help with making an email form.

We only have 2 months to make the whole site and I don't know if I can become competent enough with Wordpress within the 6 hours a week we have to work on it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nessa posted:

Hey, so I'm in my final semester of my web design program and one of my classes involves real work group projects. Our client isn't going to have a blog for her site anymore and doesn't really want to touch it at all once it's complete, so we're thinking we wouldn't need to use Wordpress that is already installed on her hosting. Neither me nor my partner took the Content Management Systems class and have never used Wordpress before.

The client has just approved one of our compositions, so now we're ready to start coding.

However, my partner now wants us to do the site in Wordpress because we'll need to make an email form and she's not sure if she can do proper authentication on it, so wants to use Wordpress's system for it. It's just a simple email form with a few checkboxes and maybe a calendar to select some dates. My partner has taken PHP class and I have not.

So my question is, is it reasonable to learn Wordpress and create a custom theme that matches our composition in 2 months, just for an email form?

In my opinion, it is not and I think we could just as easily use other online resources to help with making an email form.

We only have 2 months to make the whole site and I don't know if I can become competent enough with Wordpress within the 6 hours a week we have to work on it.

The issue re: doing something straight depends on what "proper authentication" entails. Authentication is one of those holes that can get real deep real fast, but it's also a well-trodden hole so you can probably find a library for your back-end of choice that you can attach to your system, without having to go down the Wordpress hole.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nessa posted:

This is feasible, but you'll make the project twice as hard for yourself as it would otherwise need to be. Assuming you're comfortable with HTML and CSS (and maybe a sprinkling of JS), creating a static site should be a relatively straightforward task. Adding in a little bit of PHP for a basic PHP mailer wouldn't be that much harder, but adding in WordPress means you'll need to figure out a whole different system on top of all those languages. As a hyperbolic comparison, it's like if you were reading a book for a literature class and said, "well maybe I should read it in the original Spanish even though I only took a couple of Spanish courses in high school." You could probably do it, but it's going to take up more of your time and you're going to have to spend time focusing on things you shouldn't (translating Spanish / learning how to use WordPress) instead of the things you should (understanding the meaning of the book / designing and developing a bulletproof static site).

If it were me, I'd recommend using something like Jotform. Unless you really want to learn WordPress right now, you're overcomplicating things. WP is not a bad thing to learn eventually, and honestly if you want to do web development professionally it's a good idea to learn how to develop for a couple of CMSs, but this doesn't sound like the project for it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

kedo posted:

This is feasible, but you'll make the project twice as hard for yourself as it would otherwise need to be. Assuming you're comfortable with HTML and CSS (and maybe a sprinkling of JS), creating a static site should be a relatively straightforward task. Adding in a little bit of PHP for a basic PHP mailer wouldn't be that much harder, but adding in WordPress means you'll need to figure out a whole different system on top of all those languages. As a hyperbolic comparison, it's like if you were reading a book for a literature class and said, "well maybe I should read it in the original Spanish even though I only took a couple of Spanish courses in high school." You could probably do it, but it's going to take up more of your time and you're going to have to spend time focusing on things you shouldn't (translating Spanish / learning how to use WordPress) instead of the things you should (understanding the meaning of the book / designing and developing a bulletproof static site).

If it were me, I'd recommend using something like Jotform. Unless you really want to learn WordPress right now, you're overcomplicating things. WP is not a bad thing to learn eventually, and honestly if you want to do web development professionally it's a good idea to learn how to develop for a couple of CMSs, but this doesn't sound like the project for it.

Thanks for the feedback. And yeah, those were my thoughts as well. Both of us are pretty proficient with HTML and CSS and survived the Advanced JavaScript class last semester.

Based on the bit of research I've done. It would be an awful lot of work to learn Wordpress and build a custom theme for the client in the period of time we have to do it. It would be different if one of us had experience with Wordpress, but since neither of us do, I don't want to spent extra hours on the project learning something brand new. Especially for a class project is critical to my graduation.

I would definitely like to learn Wordpress at some point, but I didn't have room to take the class for it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Graphic designers! I need your help identifying a... shape or something.

See that orange, tangled polygonal shape in the image below? I want to duplicate and animate something similar in After Effects. What's this object called? I've been seeing it in a lot of designed works.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

melon cat posted:

See that orange, tangled polygonal shape in the image below? I want to duplicate and animate something similar in After Effects. What's this object called? I've been seeing it in a lot of designed works.

Wireframe? Looks like a simple 3D object modeled without the surfaces.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

gmc9987 posted:

Wireframe? Looks like a simple 3D object modeled without the surfaces.

:doh:

Good enough, for me. Thanks!

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

melon cat posted:

In Cinema4d you can make this effect really quickly with what's called an 'atom array'.

I'm not sure how I'd do that in after effects. I mean, I'm sure I could figure out something, but it would be a pretty messy solution (maybe involving the beam filter? Idk). C4D, however...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

raging bullwinkle posted:

In Cinema4d you can make this effect really quickly with what's called an 'atom array'.

I'm not sure how I'd do that in after effects. I mean, I'm sure I could figure out something, but it would be a pretty messy solution (maybe involving the beam filter? Idk). C4D, however...

I just got C4D so I will be trying this out.

Have any recommended tutorial series for the program in general?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

goodness posted:

I just got C4D so I will be trying this out.

Have any recommended tutorial series for the program in general?

I'm not a whizz or anything but I got started using Nick Campbell's tutorials on Greyscalegorilla:
https://greyscalegorilla.com/intro-to-cinema-4d/

It looks like it's changed a lot over the years (they never used to sell their plugins so hard). It should still be a good resource, though.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I vectorized a logo, and the resulting shape isn't closed. What causes this, and how can I fix it? Sometimes I'll inherit a file that's like this, so repairing it after the fact is just as useful as preventing it in the first place. You can see how I can't fully stroke the new shape, because the left-hand side of the "F" isn't really there:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lincoln posted:

I vectorized a logo, and the resulting shape isn't closed. What causes this, and how can I fix it? Sometimes I'll inherit a file that's like this, so repairing it after the fact is just as useful as preventing it in the first place. You can see how I can't fully stroke the new shape, because the left-hand side of the "F" isn't really there:

Select the two little points with the white arrow and hit COMMAND+J (join).

Or, use the pen, click one point, then the other (you;ll see a slash first click and then a circle the next when you hover over the points).

As to why? I dunno. Paths are weird. Was there something else knocking it out when you vector-oded it?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If you traced the F by hand with the pen tool (or any other line tool), Illustrator will not automatically close the path for you because there are situations where you might not want the path to be closed by default. Unlike the MS Office Suite, in general the Creative Suite tries hard not to do any thinking for you. It only does exactly what you tell it.

In the future if you want to make sure a shape is closed, just start and stop with the same corner.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Cmd-J worked perfectly, thank you. No manual operations to vectorize, BTW, I just Image Traced a crappy JPG.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I've been having fun with an online planet-surface generator (http://wwwtyro.github.io/planet-3d/), but it outputs its texture as six sides of a cube. Is there any way to map these cube-sides to a sphere, so that I can recreate this world in Blender?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Any good tutorials or resources for working with gouache?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's been a while since I've used gouache. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

What worked if I recall correctly was to start with my midtones, go to my darks, and finish with the lights. You want your paint kinda thick and not super runny otherwise you're basically just using watercolors... Unless that's what you want, but just use watercolors then.

It's kinda like a weird mix of acrylics and oils... If you have any experience with them. You'll be able to layer to a degree like you're able to with acrylics, but since it's a water based media you can blend like you do with oils.

Gouache dries to a matte finish, so you'll never really get any glossiness. Use a heavy watercolor paper. Use specific water media brushes.

It's a pretty cool medium, but can be hampered by the fact that any water will ruin it even years after painting it.