Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looke
Aug 2, 2013

am i right in thinking all the amendments have been knocked down so far?

edit: 1952 - Princess Elizabeth formally proclaimed herself Queen and Head of the Commonwealth and Defender of the Faith. Lords of the Council, numbering 150, representatives from the Commonwealth and officials from the City of London, including the Lord Mayor and other dignitaries witnessed the accession of the deceased king's eldest daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Looke posted:

am i right in thinking all the amendments have been knocked down so far?

Yup. Kind of annoying that there are a bunch of Labour MP's (Frank Field, Kelvin Hopkins, Graham Stringer, Gisela Stuart, John Mann and a few others) who are voting against every amendment too, including Labour front bench amendments. So far it hasn't been the deciding factor, but with each vote relying on a relatively small number of rebellious Tories it would be infuriating if Labour rebels prevented an amendment from going through.

Real questions of the night: Will Clive Lewis resign? Will Diane Abbott vote for Article 50?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is their justification for that, exactly?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

it would be infuriating if Labour rebels prevented an amendment from going through.

No, infuriating would be Labour running a three line whip on the final vote.

Your scenario can be filed under 'unlikely'.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

He's mean and stupid and ugly and I dont like him and its not fair :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They are largely Labour's 'pro-Brexit' contingent and must have bought into the Tory mantra that this bill must not be amended in any way. Plus I recognise a few names, like Frank Field, as being notorious jackasses who oppose Corbyn in everything.

Weirdly the Graun is saying the bill has moved to the final part of committee stage so there won't be a vote on the amendment concerning EU nationals? Considering that was one of the ones most likely to pass that's drat strange.

EDIT: Forget it, they're just doing things in a weird order.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That vote is happening right now.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

No vote on the protection of EU nationals ammendment, looks like it got cut for time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did that idiot who spammed all the lovely amendments end up taking up a bunch of time?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Oh wait its up now

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a shame the Tories weren't challenged on how long this act would be put before parliament. Oh well.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Defeated 290 to 332.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

For all the talk it looks like very few Tories had the guts to rebel.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jabby posted:

For all the talk it looks like very few Tories had the guts to rebel.

I think the most that was mustered was 7 for Chris Leslie's ammendment on a final vote in parliament which where nearly counteracted by the usual Brexiter Labour MPs opposing it

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 8, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can somebody provide me with a comprehensive list of all those amendments Labour won as a result of their Article 50 bill strategy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose the next course of action is to paint the tories as not being willing to commit to ensuring the best for british workers in their negotiations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Can somebody provide me with a comprehensive list of all those amendments Labour won as a result of their Article 50 bill strategy?

Oh gently caress off. You've been told a million times that Labour has absolutely zero leverage to force Tory MP's to vote for their amendments, and your pathetic counter that they could have done so via 'public pressure' is wilfully ignorant.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What are the chances of the Lords causing a bit of trouble? I'm guessing they won't throw themselves to the wolves by actually blocking it, but are there any rumours of any spoilers going down?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Oh gently caress off. You've been told a million times that Labour has absolutely zero leverage to force Tory MP's to vote for their amendments, and your pathetic counter that they could have done so via 'public pressure' is wilfully ignorant.

I told you people that there would be no amendments.

Guess what?

There are no amendments.

When you throw away your leverage you don't get concessions. Corbyn is a moron.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

baka kaba posted:

What are the chances of the Lords causing a bit of trouble? I'm guessing they won't throw themselves to the wolves by actually blocking it, but are there any rumours of any spoilers going down?
According to the Guardian, none - there have been so many "we want hard brexit and we want it now" votes in Parliament that the Lords would be unable to justify presenting any meaningful impediment to the bill's passage.

Also...
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/829419578358915077

Remains to be seen what mystery condition will tragically strike Diane Abbott down before she can cast her vote.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 8, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose the next course of action is to paint the tories as not being willing to commit to ensuring the best for british workers in their negotiations.

Actually the next course of action is for Corbyn to take tomorrow off because he had a late night.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, what Lemondrizzle said - seen comments about concerns about being UNELECTED ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE if they delay it.

E: And yes, 7 was the most Tory rebels that I know of. Clarke was the main consistent one, as he was in December.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

When you throw away your leverage you don't get concessions. Corbyn is a moron.

"You had BETTER vote for our amendements or we'll..."

Do what exactly? Vote against Article 50? The Tories have a majority you complete muppet. Labour had no leverage whatsoever.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
It was impossible for Labour to be proper opposition in regards to this bill in practice, but it wasn't impossible to be a collective opposition in principle.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

"You had BETTER vote for our amendements or we'll..."

Do what exactly? Vote against Article 50? The Tories have a majority you complete muppet. Labour had no leverage whatsoever.

Labour's about to three line whip an unamended Brexit bill, with your full approval, and you have the temerity to describe somebody else as a muppet.

You are what's wrong with labour.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rakosi posted:

It was impossible for Labour to be proper opposition in regards to this bill in practice.
They literally never even tried lol

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
'Twas nice knowing you, Britain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope he stands in the next leadership contest because I think I'd probably vote for him.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Labour's about to three line whip an unamended Brexit bill, with your full approval, and you have the temerity to describe somebody else as a muppet.

You are what's wrong with labour.

It was a complete the sentence exercise, and I'm not detecting an answer anywhere here. You're literally Teresa May at PMQs responding to a question with 'No, YOU suck!'

EDIT: Also Diane Abbott votes for Article 50 as she said she would on Question Time, confirming that everyone who questioned her illness was just being a dick.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

It was a complete the sentence exercise, and I'm not detecting an answer anywhere here. You're literally Teresa May at PMQs responding to a question with 'No, YOU suck!'

EDIT: Also Diane Abbott votes for Article 50 as she said she would on Question Time, confirming that everyone who questioned her illness was just being a dick.

She faked being ill. She pretended to have a migraine.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Green voter surveys the burnt out circus big top that is Corbyn's labour: "there was literally nothing else he could have done".

loving idiots.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for the input Dr Flaps

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ParlyApp/status/829424043174526976

Pitiful.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/829424668511764482

"Tory Brexit"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's not a loving Tory Brexit if you loving voted for it you loving idiot.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Have I read correctly that we didn't even have time to debate EU worker protections? What a farce.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Quite a statement. Who's going to be the party of not-brexit, then? It turns out you just surrender half the country on marginal votes if you're the opposition, so I'm wondering who gives a gently caress about me I can offer my support to.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Quite a statement. Who's going to be the party of not-brexit, then? It turns out you just surrender half the country on marginal votes if you're the opposition, so I'm wondering who gives a gently caress about me I can offer my support to.
Lib Dems. SNP. S'it.

e: oh Sinn Fein I guess also.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

According to the Guardian, none - there have been so many "we want hard brexit and we want it now" votes in Parliament that the Lords would be unable to justify presenting any meaningful impediment to the bill's passage.

Unable according to procedure, or more "they wouldn't!!!"? Given the gravity of this whole thing and the lasting impact they might feel this is a unique situation. And the Tories don't have a majority so there's potential for a meaningful resistance, to force amendments etc.

Aside from the Mail and Express having all their heads on pikes by tomorrow evening of course COMMEMORATIVE PULLOUT FOR YOU TO TREASURE FOREVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I was being a bit sarcastic but christ that's a pretty sorry lineup if you're in england and didn't vote leave.

• Locked thread