Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You mean defining your Contact in addition to the Organization in general? That's not a bad idea; it gives the playbook a bit more depth. Originally I had a "you are the LAST ONE PERIOD" option for the Organization, but then I realized doing that would really limit the real meat of the concept: not just the new responsibility that's being foisted on you, being forced to deal directly with an authority figure you either want to impress or is working against your interests.

e: Oh, you mean tying the Organization's scope to a label. I'll have to think on how that could be used. Maybe with the stat-swap move?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of Masks, I made a playbook a while back and I've been tweaking it here and there as I remember it exists. If people could take a look and see what needs work I'd appreciate it.

The Bearer is your Kyle Rayner/Blue Beetle/Nova type; someone who's come in possession of an item of power that has ties to a larger peacekeeping (or "peacekeeping") organization.

Things that stand out to me:

1) The "What are they up to" option includes them fighting another Organization, but one of the GM moves you've given is "Have a rival Organization show up." Is the intention that not picking that option mean your Organization doesn't care about any rivals that may exist? Otherwise, that option is already part of the playbook. A slight editing note - you've written down that it's created by the MC instead of GM.

2) One of the abilities is just "ancient magics." This seems a lot more open ended then the other powers which are more specific, and might step a bit on the toes of a Nova with Sorcery.

3)A 10+ on Respect the Badge gives you Influence over someone only for the rest of the scene. That seems kind of odd since Influence is supposed to be permanent until someone does something to make it go away. You could make it +1 ongoing instead.

4) Feet on the Ground, Head in the Stars is really powerful for a Label substitution move. Normally they only let you use a high Label for one basic move - this lets you use anything that requires the other label, not just basic moves.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

Things that stand out to me:

1) The "What are they up to" option includes them fighting another Organization, but one of the GM moves you've given is "Have a rival Organization show up." Is the intention that not picking that option mean your Organization doesn't care about any rivals that may exist? Otherwise, that option is already part of the playbook. A slight editing note - you've written down that it's created by the MC instead of GM.

2) One of the abilities is just "ancient magics." This seems a lot more open ended then the other powers which are more specific, and might step a bit on the toes of a Nova with Sorcery.

3)A 10+ on Respect the Badge gives you Influence over someone only for the rest of the scene. That seems kind of odd since Influence is supposed to be permanent until someone does something to make it go away. You could make it +1 ongoing instead.

4) Feet on the Ground, Head in the Stars is really powerful for a Label substitution move. Normally they only let you use a high Label for one basic move - this lets you use anything that requires the other label, not just basic moves.
I wrote the bulk of the playbook waaaaaay back when all we had were the draft rules, and I've been tweaking it piecemeal since then, so I'm sure there's going to be a lot of stuff that doesn't line up. For instance, I added the "fighting another Organization" option like two days ago, but the GM moves were added ages ago. I was aiming for a "SHIELD vs Hydra" type thing, where the focus is on fighting that other group over there as opposed to dealing with what comes. I should probably reword that to make it clearer.

"Ancient Magics" was for a Dr. Fate style character, but I suppose you could fake that with the other powers?

Respect the Badge does need some work, yeah. I know I want it to do something with Influence; maybe you get Influence automatically, but then you roll to see how well you "sell" it and if you make the Organization look bad or not.

I'm really not happy with the stat-swap move, to be honest. I may tweak that to make it related to what Ominous Jazz said about giving the Organization a Label of its own. "When you're directly pursuing the Organization's goals, you may substitute its label for whatever", or something.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I didn't write a full playbook, but I did do an outsider variation, meant to replace "Belong in Two Worlds" since for a lot of Ousider characters, you're the last surviving child of your world.

"The Last of Us." Your people are no more; you're the last child of your planet. When time passes and you've spent it with a monument to your fallen species, roll +Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, Hold 1, but mark a condition to reflect your survivor's guilt. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:

-Discover some useful artifact of your people, even if you don't know what it does: It will become clear when the time is right.
- Clear a condition (Other than the one you gained for failing the roll) by finding an inspiring message from a long-dead member of your race.
- Find a hint or a clue to a current dilemma or mystery based on an anecdote of your people.

Replace the GM Moves about your people showing up with "Unveil a lost weapon of their civilization", And "Hint that they are not as alone as they thought"

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey did anyone get Dark Streets (Urban shadows supplemental). It's apparently out for backers only

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Youth has had some playtest revisions since I last posted it. People argue whether power origins should be of the "Kid Ripoff" variety, but that's almost always the case; the only real exceptions of "Kid Debuts mirroring an older heroes powerset" are in Runaways.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So hey I remembered another playbook I first came up with back in the original AWorld thread: The Revenant.

quote:

Apocalypse World is a dangerous place; we all know that. Violence is a way of life. Towns get attacked by gangs, warlords make examples, people take payment out of your hide and the hides of your loved ones. Monsters walk the ravaged earth, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.

You were supposed to be one of those bodies.

Maybe you weren't home when the attack happened. Maybe you weren't as dead as they thought. Maybe they just didn't give a poo poo about you and left you there standing in the smoldering ruins of your life.

It doesn't matter anymore. Your old life was burned to the ground, the ashes scattered to the wind.

Only one thing matters now. Revenge. You're going to find the fucker responsible, and you're gonna put him down once and for all.

There is no one more dangerous than someone with nothing left to lose.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, I made a few more changes to The Bearer, with track changes on.

The two big changes are that I took Ominous Jazz's idea of the Organization's scope having a related tag, and used that in the stat-swap move; and I reworked Respect the Badge a bit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

thefakenews posted:

What are you planning to edit it with?

Sorry on the radio silence. Usually too tired to respond or post stuff after work and it's all on my home computer. I'll post what I got soon.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I'm really excited about an announcement I got to make yesterday! Apocalypse World is getting an official Swedish translation, and I'm the translator! I sort of stumbled into the position -- I was originally contacted to be a general consultant on how the game works, so nothing important was lost, but then I asked if maybe I could help, and ended up getting the whole gig.

We're looking for proofreaders now, if you happen to know Swedish but don't already frequent https://www.rollspel.nu: http://www.rollspel.nu/forum/specifika-rollspelsforum/skepnad-studios/216661-apocalypse-world-%96-underg%E5ngen-kom

I'm hype!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tiger posted:

I'm really excited about an announcement I got to make yesterday! Apocalypse World is getting an official Swedish translation, and I'm the translator! I sort of stumbled into the position -- I was originally contacted to be a general consultant on how the game works, so nothing important was lost, but then I asked if maybe I could help, and ended up getting the whole gig.

We're looking for proofreaders now, if you happen to know Swedish but don't already frequent https://www.rollspel.nu: http://www.rollspel.nu/forum/specifika-rollspelsforum/skepnad-studios/216661-apocalypse-world-%96-underg%E5ngen-kom

I'm hype!

Congratulations!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

So hey I remembered another playbook I first came up with back in the original AWorld thread: The Revenant.

This is really drat good

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Here's an odd question: what breaks if you invert the threat clock? It starts at "poo poo's on fire, yo" and as you make the world better/safer/slightly less hosed, it decreases, revealing either more things that need fixing/dealing with, or things that'll try to undo your progress.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Here's an odd question: what breaks if you invert the threat clock? It starts at "poo poo's on fire, yo" and as you make the world better/safer/slightly less hosed, it decreases, revealing either more things that need fixing/dealing with, or things that'll try to undo your progress.

Nothing breaks, Apocalypse World is just kind of thematically built for things to get steadily shittier as the game goes on. Fixing the world isn't really what it's all about.

But if you want to run an optimistic Apocalypse World that's fine. I guess.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Nothing breaks, but I don't think your inversion is really necessary. That is to say, "the world" doesn't necessarily need a countdown clock for its status. Rather, the various Fronts within that world all have their own countdown clocks where appropriate. So whether or not you can get the water purifier fixed may have little/nothing to do with when the Datsun Cannibals attack your town. Or maybe it will, because they're raiding you for water. Similarly, if Marley is going to make a play to take over the hold's bustling market, that is likely to be completely independent of whatever else may or may not be going on in the world.

In other words, rather than having some master clock that "reveals new threats," just have those threats out there revealing themselves whenever and however seems appropriate. Their own clocks will tell you how everything works. And if the PCs don't fix or deal with or unfuck the world and all these Fronts start progressing simultaneously, well, I guess their lives are going to be seriously "not boring" now, aren't they?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

thefakenews posted:

What are you planning to edit it with?

This is what I was planning to edit it with. Seriously, sorry about the wait. Been lazy when I get back home due to work. It's a Captain Marvel inspired playbook about the disconnect one experiences in their later teenage years as their mind is still young and child-like, but their body is that of an adult: that weird point in late teens, early twenties where everyone who doesn't know you treats you like an adult and you go "wait, what?"

For those just seeing this, it is a mask playbook.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 16, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

At first I went "Carol Danvers had 99 problems but I'm pretty sure that wasn't one" but then I realized DC also has a Captain Marvel. :downs:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Hey, speaking of Masks, what's the best way to model 'a bunch of bombs have been strapped up'?

Geology Sucks
Sep 20, 2007

Everything I know of hockey is teach to me from this fish!

Thanks! ! I've always liked Austin on Adam Koebel's streams but I hadn't seen this (or friends at the table) yet.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
After a solid showing at a one-shot of WWW, the group is interested in turning it into a campaign.

We had a question about the Jobber though. Is there any mechanical incentive to make other characters look good in the ring that I'm missing? Or do the mechanics and player mindset map to the character's role as someone not in it for themselves?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Outside of their "finishing move", there really isn't if I remember the playbook right. That being said, unless you can get Audience 4 without the rest of the wrestlers, you need people to help get you Audience.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ImpactVector posted:

The mechanics and player mindset map to the character's role as someone not in it for themselves.
The jobber is (or can be) a straight man to the chaos & egos around him, until they Break Kayfabe or appear in amazing, Heat filled matches, which evolves them out of being a jobber.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

thelazyblank posted:

Outside of their "finishing move", there really isn't if I remember the playbook right. That being said, unless you can get Audience 4 without the rest of the wrestlers, you need people to help get you Audience.
The 10+ of Do The Job is that your opponent gets +1 Audience. The 7-9 is the one that gives you something (+1 Momentum and Heat). Though given that there's no stat added to DtJ, the second is way more likely.

And yeah, I guess I can see the quid pro quo thing if you're trying to play out the arc of a jobber becoming a star. I just generally prefer to see mechanical incentives to pursue the thing your character should be doing.

Or maybe it's set up to push you as a player to be selfish and immerse yourself in the struggle of trying to do good work vs being recognized?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

ImpactVector posted:

After a solid showing at a one-shot of WWW, the group is interested in turning it into a campaign.

We had a question about the Jobber though. Is there any mechanical incentive to make other characters look good in the ring that I'm missing? Or do the mechanics and player mindset map to the character's role as someone not in it for themselves?

There's no incentive but there's also no punishment. Mechanically, the Jobber is gonna roll Wrestling with decent bonuses (probably Work, which they can get to +2) and often succeed. Whether that success means they're kicking rear end and thus setting up their inevitable defeat to be even more impressive, or just failing continuously and comically is up to the narration.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Is anyone else backing Alas For the Awful Sea? It looks neat

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Development on my PbtA game, Malleus, has stalled out pretty hard. I suck at writing move commentary and GM advice, which is a substantial part of what is left. I also wanted to have a system of Organisation playbooks, a bit like Blades in the Dark's crew sheets, but I have been lacking inspiration for moves. Also I've been wrapped up in a PbP test of the Hero World material I posted a while back (which is actually working better than I expected).

I have made quite a few changes since I last posted about it here though, and maybe some feedback will get me more excited to get into the commentary.

CLICK HERE for the latest version.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is anyone else backing Alas For the Awful Sea? It looks neat

I backed it, It is right in my wheelhouse, and seems cool. Also an Australia based project which is a bonus.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, Awful Sea looks pretty boss. I was a bit concerned that they hadn't done their sums properly since their initial ask was so low, but now it's exploded and making mad bank I figure it's all going to be fine.

Also, if I can engage in some blatant self-promotion:

The Pigsmoke Kickstarter is down to 36 hours! Just in case you were thinking of backing it and hadn't.

E:

thefakenews posted:

Development on my PbtA game, Malleus, has stalled out pretty hard.

Okay, the very first thing: lose that font.

Well, maybe keep it for headers. But while it's a very evocative choice and perfectly suits the tone you're going for, I could feel my eyes starting to throb after about two paragraphs. Your body text needs to be in something way simpler -- Book Antiqua is a go-to choice of mine which might work.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 3, 2017

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Okay, the very first thing: lose that font.

Well, maybe keep it for headers. But while it's a very evocative choice and perfectly suits the tone you're going for, I could feel my eyes starting to throb after about two paragraphs. Your body text needs to be in something way simpler -- Book Antiqua is a go-to choice of mine which might work.

At some point I will get around to switching it to a Garamond variant, like these out of date playbook drafts. Its even period appropriate.

Edit: In fact, I have changed it now. Don't love the available version of Garamond of Google docs, but oh well - It'll be fine when I stick it in InDesign.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 3, 2017

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Thanks for that. I've read! And commented!

Overall, I like it. There are a few bits in the basic moves which I'm not 100% about, but I'd want to play it before I make any more comments -- and I do want to play it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Thanks for that. I've read! And commented!

Overall, I like it. There are a few bits in the basic moves which I'm not 100% about, but I'd want to play it before I make any more comments -- and I do want to play it.

I have tried to organise some online play tests here, and on G+, before but time zone differences (I'm in Australia) have meant I haven't been able to get a session off the ground.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
I got my copy of The Veil in the mail the other day and boy howdy, it is exactly what I wanted out of a cyberpunk PbtA game. I'm going over it and The Sprawl in relatively close succession, so it's interesting to look at how they're taking similar concepts and going for completely different end results in terms of gameplay facilitated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

simonwolf posted:

I got my copy of The Veil in the mail the other day and boy howdy, it is exactly what I wanted out of a cyberpunk PbtA game. I'm going over it and The Sprawl in relatively close succession, so it's interesting to look at how they're taking similar concepts and going for completely different end results in terms of gameplay facilitated.

Would you be willing to do a rundown on The Veil? I've been interested but haven't seen much detail about it anywhere.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorry to double-post, but there's now an "official" list of PbtA games on the official Apocalypse World site.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Great stuff! Glad they're compiling a list of PbtA products.

tremulus being on there really makes me wish we had a good Lovecraftian horror hack out there.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

This is really cool of them to do, and also very useful to have. Thanks for sharing it!

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Would you be willing to do a rundown on The Veil? I've been interested but haven't seen much detail about it anywhere.

Happy to, once I finish the book and my free time opens up!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

My PbtA game, Legacy: Life Among the Ruins is today's Deal of the Day on DriveThruRPG, meaning you can pick it up for $3.50/£2.80.

Legacy was my first published game and I'm still very proud of it - even though the 2-playbook system has been used in lots of different Powered by the Apocalypse games now, I think Legacy's Family/Character divide does some really fun things with game scale. It's sort of my attempt to bring the company structure of Reign and the sweep of history from Microscope into the PbtA space; I've recently posted some examples of play on my blog showing those mechanics in action. If any of that sounds appealing, you have 22 hours to pick it up for less than a (fancy) coffee!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Did any of you get Last One Standing, that Battle Royale/Hunger Games game? Apparently it funded and shipped. I was intrigued by the idea, but the last time I looked at the free version it was yet another mess that doesn't really get PbtA, with 23 Basic Moves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

My PbtA game, Legacy: Life Among the Ruins is today's Deal of the Day on DriveThruRPG, meaning you can pick it up for $3.50/£2.80.

Legacy was my first published game and I'm still very proud of it - even though the 2-playbook system has been used in lots of different Powered by the Apocalypse games now, I think Legacy's Family/Character divide does some really fun things with game scale. It's sort of my attempt to bring the company structure of Reign and the sweep of history from Microscope into the PbtA space; I've recently posted some examples of play on my blog showing those mechanics in action. If any of that sounds appealing, you have 22 hours to pick it up for less than a (fancy) coffee!

I'm going to jump in and give you a shout-out 'cause you're game is pretty loving legit and cool and is a total buy, especially while at a discount. Get it while its hot, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

I'm going to jump in and give you a shout-out 'cause you're game is pretty loving legit and cool and is a total buy, especially while at a discount. Get it while its hot, people.

Thanks! I should say I'm working on a revised edition of the game at the moment - there're a few things I'm not happy with, looking back at it, and sections I could explain a lot better. Everyone who bought this version will get a discount to get the new version, though, so don't let that hold you back :D