Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I would like a party that was more centrist and less libertarian than the Greens, but just as environmentally driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Thing is the position of 'I don't really like the EU but it's better to stay in it' was David Camerons position.....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

Quite a statement. Who's going to be the party of not-brexit, then? It turns out you just surrender half the country on marginal votes if you're the opposition, so I'm wondering who gives a gently caress about me I can offer my support to.

I think probably quite a lot more of Labour gives a poo poo about you than any of the other parties tbh.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Unable according to procedure, or more "they wouldn't!!!"? Given the gravity of this whole thing and the lasting impact they might feel this is a unique situation. And the Tories don't have a majority so there's potential for a meaningful resistance, to force amendments etc.

Aside from the Mail and Express having all their heads on pikes by tomorrow evening of course COMMEMORATIVE PULLOUT FOR YOU TO TREASURE FOREVER

Why are you expecting the Lords to do the oppositions job?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I think probably quite a lot more of Labour gives a poo poo about you than any of the other parties tbh.
Shame about their representatives, eh?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

We're all doooooomed

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jBrereton posted:

Lib Dems. SNP. S'it.

e: oh Sinn Fein I guess also.

Plaid and the Greens too, for what they're worth.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Why are you expecting the Lords to do the oppositions job?

Because they have the numbers to do so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Shame about their representatives, eh?

I'm still not really sure how many of the representatives are careerists but I'd wager even most of the ones that are are probably better than a lib dem or a tory.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Lib Dems. SNP. S'it.

e: oh Sinn Fein I guess also.

Eh Sinn Fein didn't bother registering with the electoral commission to campaign during the referendum and threw up most of their posters after the vote, their historic eurosceptic attitude south of border meant their opposition to Brexit was a bit limp at best.

The SDLP have been banging the drum as the anti-Brexit party the loudest regionally

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
It is also the Lords job to view and amend bills. This is where 'ping-pong' occurs.

And baka they can do so, it's just articles i've seen suggest they might be hesitant to be seen as 'obstructing' it. Who knows though as these are strange times? :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rakosi posted:

I would like a party that was more centrist and less libertarian than the Greens, but just as environmentally driven.
I'd like a party that's as left-libertarian as the Greens or more, but doesn't drive itself into a conniption over the existence of chemicals or meat or power generation.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I like a party that isn't full of idiots.

spectralent posted:

Have I read correctly that we didn't even have time to debate EU worker protections? What a farce.

Considering the EU nationals part got hosed. It's pretty obvious that worker protection would be shot down as well.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Guavanaut posted:

I'd like a party that's as left-libertarian as the Greens or more, but doesn't drive itself into a conniption over the existence of chemicals or meat or power generation.

It is for this reason I've never been able to take the greens seriously. Axiomatically I feel there's probably a lot of alignment; I'm very left wing and have a vested interest in making a sustainable society. Then we hit the laughable attitudes to science and I realise I'm apparently talking to a Greyhawk druid circle instead of people living in reality.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Well, this is all very depressing. I suppose it's too much to hope that the Lords will decide to go out in a blaze of glory in order to stop this madness?

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

The fact that the Tories are going to win the vote anyway isn't an argument for voting with the Tories. Oppositions routinely vote against the government, knowing full well they are going to lose the vote.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Paxman posted:

The fact that the Tories are going to win the vote anyway isn't an argument for voting with the Tories. Oppositions routinely vote against the government, knowing full well they are going to lose the vote.

They don't routinely vote against a measure the public directly had a hand in saying they wanted.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I suspect the Lords will feel they can't go against the Commons (never mind the referendum) on the issue of giving the PM the power to trigger article 50, which is what the Bill does. But that wouldn't stop them amending the legislation in some way, eg on EU nationals rights.

The trouble is that any amendments they make can be overturned by the Commons so it's symbolic at best.

The Lords have caused problems for the Government in the past when the Government also faces trouble in the Commons and doesn't much fancy asking the Commons to support it in overturning the Lords. There's no sign of that this time though.

There's also the vague threat of abolishing the Lords of they cause problems, butatyempts to reform the Lords always become a huge mess for some reason and I doubt Theresa May wants to go there, or will need to.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The Lords can't go against manifesto commitments. One of which was to stay in the single market. Err.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The Lords can't go against manifesto commitments. One of which was to stay in the single market. Err.

Don't, not can't.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Glad to see the return of the true, better thread title.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/829442621340803083

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, more like shuffled the check across the table slightly closer.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

She's right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She's really not.

Also Nicola "austerity is tory evil but we loving love it" sturgeon isn't allowed to talk about doing tory stuff.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Looke posted:

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

Jeremy Corbyn is bad for labour.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hell as the white paper showed (and France and Germany and Greece all in the recent past) there's tons of working conditions that the Tories could cut while still being in the EU.

If you reduce class struggle to a labour dispute then the EU is a pretty ironclad minimum wage when you're earning well above it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corbyn's finished.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Corbyn's finished.

Nah, his election in the first place just ruined the rightwing of Labour and they've still not been able to recover other than pissing and moaning about how much they don't like him, Corbyn will have lost a lot of support over this but internally his opposition is still probably weaker than him. Owen Smith tried the 'I'm Corbyn but not Corbyn!' approach and totally hosed it up and I doubt there was any grand scheme to hold back anyone better than him for a later attempt.

This may well have seriously hampered his attempts at reform internally though and that might eventually spell the end whenever he does decide to call it quits.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
At least now Labour won't be cast into negative light by the conservative leaning media over Brexit and will continue to just be hated by them in general, which is obviously much better.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Is there any evidence, at all, that voting for Article 50 has cost Corbyn or Labour a significant amount of support?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Is there any evidence, at all, that voting for Article 50 has cost Corbyn or Labour a significant amount of support?

People ITT seem annoyed about it.

And I guess the front bench reshuffle won't be super but if they manage to stick to the protections for UK residents/citizens angle it might get them somewhere over the next few years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mehall posted:

They don't routinely vote against a measure the public directly had a hand in saying they wanted.

Well, only because we never do referenda in this country. Or at least they were very rare. And it's not like it was a landslide. 48% of the people who could be arsed to vote thought it was a bad idea, and plenty of referendum in the past have required more than 50% of the electorate to vote for it to count. But sadly David Cameron was a loving arrogant imbecile who didn't even bother putting in that protection. Labour absolutely could have opposed this on the basis that Brexit will take the economy.

Extreme0 posted:

I like a party that isn't full of idiots.

Well that's hardly going to happen in this country, is it?

namesake posted:

Nah, his election in the first place just ruined the rightwing of Labour and they've still not been able to recover other than pissing and moaning about how much they don't like him, Corbyn will have lost a lot of support over this but internally his opposition is still probably weaker than him. Owen Smith tried the 'I'm Corbyn but not Corbyn!' approach and totally hosed it up and I doubt there was any grand scheme to hold back anyone better than him for a later attempt.

This may well have seriously hampered his attempts at reform internally though and that might eventually spell the end whenever he does decide to call it quits.

The problem remains the lack of obvious candidates to replace him. There remains no faith in the right wing of the Labour Party among the leadership, they still haven't gotten even close to addressing the question marks left over from their last 20 years plus in charge. Maybe it's Lewis. I dunno. Leaving the Shadow Cabinet over this will probably be popular with the Corbyn support in the party. I hope. Woops, my mistake.

Incidentally, I'm quite surprised at how small the rebellion was among the Shadow Cabinet. I really expected more resignations over this shite vote.

jabby posted:

Well, we'll see when those by-elections happen in Stoke & Copeland in a couple of weeks, until then gently caress all proof either way. But for the record, I don't care how this vote impacts Labour's support, I care because Tory Brexit is going to be really bad, for my family, for me, for the working class in general.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Labour's strategy seems to be "let Brexit happen, then show the Tories up once the bodies start hitting the ground"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's not 'Tory Brexit' anymore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes it is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Labour's strategy seems to be "let Brexit happen, then show the Tories up once the bodies start hitting the ground"

This strategy seems like it'd be more effective if you actively show that you are opposed to Tory Brexit rather than just say you are while voting with it...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Yes it is.

It's been voted for by labour. Twice. It's no longer a 'Tory Brexit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

This strategy seems like it'd be more effective if you actively show that you are opposed to Tory Brexit rather than just say you are while voting with it...

Attempting to table amendments is the opposition to tory brexit, simply not opposition to brexit itself.

The refusal of the tories to accept any of them means that the tories refuse to make this an interpartisan endeavour.

• Locked thread