Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

But Pissflaps - You hate Brexit! Surely you of all people want to support the largest Westminster party to oppose leaving the EU, yes?

I'd support them in opposing the bill, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The SNP are not covering themselves in glory over Scotrail

You get the impression that no matter what, there will always be one more excuse for not bringing it under public control.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/15071199._Ferry_review_shows_nationalised_rail_service_is_open_to_Scotland_/

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cerv posted:

The SNP are not covering themselves in glory over Scotrail

You get the impression that no matter what, there will always be one more excuse for not bringing it under public control.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/15071199._Ferry_review_shows_nationalised_rail_service_is_open_to_Scotland_/

I suspect they'll keep hinting at the possibility periodically to keep the left wing of the party/electorate happy, but will be quite content to keep putting it out to tender whenever it's up for renewal with no public option. It'd be great if they could show some boldness on this - and if Yousaf (or his miniserial successors) want to take a shot at First Minister it could potentially be a big statement and profile-raiser, but I imagine it's too convoluted, messy and lacking in the kind of short-to-medium term visible improvement or employment security to that most politicians would be looking for (unlike, say, shiny new bridges or airports etc).

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm annoyed at them, nationalise the drat rails and use its success as further argument for indy Ffs.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How would that be an argument for independence if its success occurred while Scotland is in the United Kingdom?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

A couple of things from today that don't tell us anything new, but which go in tandem rather well.

First, and to be fair to 'Flaps this is a point he often makes,
John Curtice says the recent BBC analysis of EU voting data suggests economic argument crucial to indyref 2
. The article mostly just provides a brief summary of some parts of the BBC's analysis, but here's Curtice's comments:

quote:

the results should serve as a warning to Scotland’s pro-independence campaigners, according to Curtice. “Trying to tag indyref 2 off the back of Brexit alone is unlikely to work.

“There is not enough evidence that a sufficient number of people in Scotland are upset enough by the outcome to change their vote.

“Appealing for a case of democratic deficit is only likely to attract those who already favoured independence. Those who voted No are more inclined to think that Scotland does not have the right to self-determination anyway. Convincing voters of the economic case for an independent Scotland within the EU could be crucial.”

The findings “mostly confirmed what we already knew” in regards to other EU referendum voting patterns, according to Professor Curtice, with areas where there are a higher number of graduates, young people and people from ethnic minorities more likely to favour the Remain campaign throughout the UK. “These figures are replicated in Scotland, simply on a smaller scale,” he said.

The other thing was this exchange on Twitter. For context, Mark McDonald is in the cabinet, as minister for children and early years, replying to someone who said "@markmcdsnp and because he didn't see the detail he voted no. He needed to see how it could all be afforded"

https://twitter.com/markmcdsnp/status/829240291530010626

(For anyone on the app, McDonald said "we put plenty of [economic] detail out there as part of the white paper, what detail beyond that did he want?")

It's a relatively small thing in the grand scheme, but it suggests to me at best a naïveté, at worse a downright arrogance and stupidity, to honestly believe that the white paper comprehensively and conclusively answered all - or even most! - of the economic concerns, questions and challenges potentially posed by independence. I don't expect an SNP minister to give any ground on whether independence is a good thing or not, but to be unable to do more than (rather smugly!) point to the white and imply it answers all economic questions is just willfully stupid - and poor politics

Niric fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 8, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The case is "we're hosed if we stay or go, at least if we stay it's easier to leave for somewhere better".

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Niric posted:

A couple of things from today that don't tell us anything new, but which go in tandem rather well.

First, and to be fair to 'Flaps this is a point he often makes,
John Curtice says the recent BBC analysis of EU voting data suggests economic argument crucial to indyref 2
. The article mostly just provides a brief summary of some parts of the BBC's analysis, but here's Curtice's comments:

The other thing was this exchange on Twitter. For context, Mark McDonald is in the cabinet, as minister for children and early years, replying to someone who said "@markmcdsnp and because he didn't see the detail he voted no. He needed to see how it could all be afforded"

https://twitter.com/markmcdsnp/status/829240291530010626

(For anyone on the app, McDonald said "we put plenty of [economic] detail out there as part of the white paper, what detail beyond that did he want?")

It's a relatively small thing in the grand scheme, but it suggests to me at best a naïveté, at worse a downright arrogance and stupidity, to honestly believe that the white paper comprehensively and conclusively answered all - or even most! - of the economic concerns, questions and challenges potentially posed by independence. I don't expect an SNP minister to give any ground on whether independence is a good thing or not, but to be unable to do more than (rather smugly!) point to the white and imply it answers all economic questions is just willfully stupid - and poor politics

The white paper's economic section was hilarious vague wishful thinking. I can't believe he's referring people to a document which has "Using a conservative price of over $100 a barrel" in it as a measure of their economic competence.

shite-paper posted:

How valuable are the expected tax revenues from our oil and gas production?
The latest Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland report estimates that oil and gas production in the Scottish portion of the UK continental shelf generated £10.6 billion in tax revenues during 2011/12. This is equal to 94 per cent of the UK’s total tax revenues from oil and gas production. Production in Scottish waters could generate approximately £48 billion in tax revenue between 2012/13 and 2017/18 based on industry estimates of production and an average cash price of approximately 113 dollars per barrel.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

The only thing the SNP have going for their white paper is that it's no longer the worst when it comes to white papers now.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I read it's been ten months since legislation was put before Holyrood - is that true?

The Conservatives have the temerity to complain that too much parliamentary time is being spent on Brexit, then decide they want a new "stolen valour" Bill. Utter waste of time, importing the worst aspects of militaristic American neoconservatism.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Buzzfeed has a story about German MPs having informal talks in Brussels and Berlin about fast tracking Scottish access. Of course the usual caveats are there- "independence is an internal matter", "can't discuss until may activates article 50", etc, but it's a positive sign. I fully expect stronger signalling as soon as article 50 is triggered.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/independent-scotland-would-fast-tracked-9798523#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Someone want to go see the validity of this is solid?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's not particularly mind-blowing but it is true, as far as I can tell.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Buzzfeed has a story about German MPs having informal talks in Brussels and Berlin about fast tracking Scottish access. Of course the usual caveats are there- "independence is an internal matter", "can't discuss until may activates article 50", etc, but it's a positive sign. I fully expect stronger signalling as soon as article 50 is triggered.

I found it a bit odd that you didn’t link to the article so I went and found it for myself.

Colour me utterly unsurprised that your ‘informal talks’ and ‘fast track access’ are in fact the utterly standard, oft-repeated statement that Scotland could become an EU member state if it was independent:

quote:

The parliamentarians also said Germany would most likely support an independent Scotland’s entry to the EU, but stressed that Scotland’s future is a matter for the UK and no formal discussions will happen until it becomes independent.

While he made clear that Scottish independence is an internal matter for the UK, and said he was unsure independence was a good idea during the complicated Brexit process, he added that Germany would most likely back Scotland’s entry if it was to become an independent country.

Of course Scotland could become a member state: but there won't be any negotiations while it’s in the UK, and no timetable for Scottish independence would allow it to become an EU member state without applying like any other country.

You really need to start reading these things for yourself, not regurgitating the breathless spin of whatever nationalist blog you found them on.

Amusingly, this similar story is doing the rounds which contains this:

quote:

With the SNP’s leadership reviewing their stance on currency, she said a separate Scotland would have to commit in principle to joining the euro to get membership and show how it intended to bring down its huge deficit, which is even larger than Greece’s.

While Scotland wouldn't have to join the Euro within a specific timescale, it would have to commit immediately to meeting the financial obligations of doing so - and that would require austerity and/or tax rises the likes of which would dwarf what have been seen so far.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/831122854414532612

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Well that's certainly a tweet of a Facebook page from an ex video games reviewer who makes a living off a couple of thousand Scottish nationalists.

Got any more of him being transphobic, sexist or blaming Liverpool fans for Hillsborough?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That person thinks July is the 12th month of the year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

While that part is obviously funny, (as is the use of "year zero"), what I really like is the idea that the SNP are secret agents of the Germans, who really want to destroy Scotland?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

While that part is obviously funny, (as is the use of "year zero"), what I really like is the idea that the SNP are secret agents of the Germans, who really want to destroy Scotland?

Well, it was true in 1942!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

That person thinks July is the 12th month of the year.

To be completely fair, the second panel does say that the good times (personified here by well-known symbol of a good idea well executed, Jared Leto in Suicide Squad) were "soon to end" on July 19th, so the author could be allowing a 5 month grace period where things were pretty good until baby Sturgeon managed to sit up unaided and therefore doom us all.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Wings likes that Wii Fit Trainer I see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

Wings likes that Wii Fit Trainer I see.

He thought it said "Wee fit like".

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/831502676445757440
Kezia and Corbyn. A recipe for success.

But seriously, those poll numbers are so dire for Labour that I really doubt their legitimacy. I also don't think the SNP are getting anywhere near 47% in a council election, when there are independents to draw away votes. I'd be amazed/ecstatic if they broke 40% in 1st preferences.

Leggsy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 14, 2017

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Leggsy posted:

https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/831502676445757440
Kezia and Corbyn. A recipe for success.

But seriously, those poll numbers are so dire for Labour that I really doubt their legitimacy. I also don't think the SNP are getting anywhere near 47% in a council election, when there are independents to draw away votes. I'd be amazed/ecstatic if they broke 40% in 1st preferences.

While that's historically huge for the SNP in council elections (and utterly, utterly dismal and humiliating for Labour given their historic dominance of councils in particular), it's not actually much removed from the 2016 Holyrood elections for the SNP, Tories or the Lib Dems. I know council elections are bit different and. 2012 council elections didn't quite map to the 2011 Holyrood elections, but it's worth noting that this was mostly only true for the SNP (32% council, 44.5ish% Holyrood); Labour, Lib Dems and Tory vote shares were all only a couple of % between the two. So I think it's a fairly plausible poll, even if lower turnout might actually suit Labour for once.

For reference, here's the 2016 results:

Constituency vote shares:
SNP Scottish National Party 46.5%
LAB Scottish Labour 22.6%
CON Scottish Conservatives 22.0%
LD Scottish Lib Dems 7.8%
GRN Scottish Green Party 0.6%
OTH OTHERS 0.5%

Regional vote shares:
SNP Scottish National Party 41.7%
LAB Scottish Labour 19.1%
CON Scottish Conservatives 22.9%
LD Scottish Lib Dems 5.2%
GRN Scottish Green Party 6.6%
OTH OTHERS 4.5%

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm aware of the family connection and given the content and tone of some of his tweets I've got to ask

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/830904083519242241

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/831830548565852160

is Trump a Scottish Nationalist?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Sick burn dude

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Angepain posted:

Sick burn dude

to be fair, no one had posted anything in here for 2 days and you know how flappy can get if he doesn't get his attention.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Pissflaps posted:

I'm aware of the family connection and given the content and tone of some of his tweets I've got to ask

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/830904083519242241

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/831830548565852160

is Trump a Scottish Nationalist?

Yes, if you define Scottish Nationalism as "being an idiot on twitter"

Genuinely curious and not trying to be a gotcha or whatever. When was the last time you spoke with a Scottish Nationalist in person? Because I think you'd be surprised by the fact that they too, are normal people and not raving loons as a lot of twitter/the internet can sometimes suggest.

Coincidentally, It's also why I don't approve of people like Wings highlighting stupid/threatening Unionist tweets. That poo poo only helps to reinforce the tribal state of Scottish politics and that's something we can do with less of.

EDIT: And isn't going on about "fake news" more of a Corbyn twitter supporter thing? Wouldn't surprise me if some of the denser cybernats in the swarm went for it as well though.

Leggsy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 16, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Leggsy posted:

Yes, if you define Scottish Nationalism as "being an idiot on twitter".

I was thinking more specifically the complaints against 'mainstream media', insistence that crowds are much larger than those reported, banging on about the 'hate and lies' coming from those that oppose them etc.

It's a blueprint for Trumpism.

I don't go out of my way to talk to any sort of nationalist tbh.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm pretty amused that Pissflaps has been obsessively posting about Scottish Independence for several years now and has never even talked to an Indy supporter IRL.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is every Yes voter a Scottish nationalist now?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Well that depends on what you mean by Scottish nationalist, doesn't it. I assumed you meant in in the broad sense of anyone who supports Scottish independence since you have used it that way in the past.

So you have spoken to Yes voters IRL? And discussed the referendum with them?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yes I've spoken to people 'IRL' who voted Yes to Scottish independence about the referendum. Would it matter if I hadn't?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well it would be quite funny, yes. So by Scottish nationalist do you just mean SNP members? Because the ones I know are the the opposite of Trumpy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think there are very similar themes running through the campaigns for Scottish Independence, Brexit and Trump.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I think there are very similar themes running through the campaigns for Scottish Independence, Brexit and Trump.

Ahh yes, I remember the Yes2Indy campaign saying we need to reduce immigration.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I like to think that some of the people that may vote Yes after the Brexit referendum don't see themselves as nationalists, so much as people that are looking to escape a burning building.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Sion posted:

I like to think that some of the people that may vote Yes after the Brexit referendum don't see themselves as nationalists, so much as people that are looking to escape a burning building.

They'll be mistaken if they think they can escape a burning building by locking themselves in a bedroom.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

They'll be mistaken if they think they can escape a burning building by locking themselves in a bedroom.

Yeah but the bedroom has a matress you can push out the window and then use to jump onto into the relative safety of outside/europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sion posted:

Yeah but the bedroom has a matress you can push out the window and then use to jump onto into the relative safety of outside/europe.

I'd this metaphor was a bit stretched, but I'm not convinced the metaphor was sustainable in the first place.

Just like the Union