Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My biggest gripe with the Bulls is they have no plan. They say they want to play Hoiball then proceed to saddle him with players that are the opposite of how he wants to play. They said they wanted to get younger and more athletic then proceeded to do the opposite. When it was clear the team wasn't good, they should have been trading off players like Gasol. Just like they should this year with Taj and Lopez.

They've also been incredibly lucky over the years. Lucky that they got Rose with those tiny odds and lucky that Jerry made them hire Thibs over their picks (and that Thibs took less money to coach the Bulls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Papagiannis' dad was right - Dragan Bender is weak.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/829390666492817408

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

He ain't goin' nowhere, c'mon

:suicide:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

He ain't goin' nowhere, c'mon

Well where is he going then? Share your scoops!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm not a huge Okafor fan, but I think it's very possible that in a few years he could become a much better player than he is now. He just turned 21 a couple months ago and he looks like he's got the type of body that will be able to put on weight. Unless they get something decent for him, I'd rather gamble on the possibility that he might be worth more next year after an offseason of conditioning that isn't hampered by a knee surgery.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm not a huge Okafor fan, but I think it's very possible that in a few years he could become a much better player than he is now. He just turned 21 a couple months ago and he looks like he's got the type of body that will be able to put on weight. Unless they get something decent for him, I'd rather gamble on the possibility that he might be worth more next year after an offseason of conditioning that isn't hampered by a knee surgery.

I'm just not sure you can really "teach" lateral quickness that he needs to be a solid defender.

I don't mind holding on to him for a little bit to increase his value, but unless they're going to build a second unit around him (and that would mean having 2 units with severely different playstyles), there's really not a place for him in Philadelphia.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/BrooklynNets/status/829306224885768192

Yikes. At least the other teams have made an attempt at subtlety :pwn:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

I'm just not sure you can really "teach" lateral quickness that he needs to be a solid defender.

I don't mind holding on to him for a little bit to increase his value, but unless they're going to build a second unit around him (and that would mean having 2 units with severely different playstyles), there's really not a place for him in Philadelphia.

Exactly

The pf he needs is not the pf that is perfect for Embiid.

IMHO.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Embiid out a couple more games

:ohdear:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I don't see him as a long term match for Embiid, and I also don't see him becoming a great interior help defender. But it seems to me that he also has trouble establishing good inside position and playing defense one on one against stronger centers. I think those things could improve if he adds weight/strength and I think he has the body type for that.. I think that in some ways he has been unable to showcase the skills he does have because he seems to have trouble getting good position against other centers who are usually heavier and stronger than he is.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Embiid out a couple more games

:ohdear:

I think it's pretty clear that they're holding him out until the ASB.

e: I agree with both the post above and below mine. Okafor is going to be a decent center. But fitting him into this team just won't work long term. So it's imperative that you get value.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 8, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I def believe okafor will be a fine center in a few years.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why will Okafor be a fine center? The one thing he does well is the thing that smart teams are not doing anymore. I just don't think you can get by with a Center who doesn't shoot, rebound, or play defense. He'd be a perfect center 15 years ago.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Don't forget Chinese-American Mob Boss turned NBA player Don Lei Ball, or as he appears in the box score

Ball, Don Lei

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WRONG!!! IS LIE!!!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

straight up brolic posted:

apropros of nothing, the replies on this tweet have given me life

https://twitter.com/ImNotaPlayerTho/status/829161462522331137

An underrated aspect of this picture is the horse poo poo all over the ground. It must have smelled terrible while they were taking this picture.

shyduck posted:

This is awful. Not blending in at all ruins the jerseys.

Embiids goggles own and I hope he uses them forever.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

shyduck posted:

Good branding.

If you go to a Nets game, you know what you're in for.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

that looks loving terrible

part of me is hoping the ad thing doesn't last

but the other part of me knows that once those teams taste that sweet sweet money they'll never give it up

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Niwrad posted:

Why will Okafor be a fine center? The one thing he does well is the thing that smart teams are not doing anymore. I just don't think you can get by with a Center who doesn't shoot, rebound, or play defense. He'd be a perfect center 15 years ago.

Rebounding was even more important then. He absolutely HAS to get stronger, which of course is an injury risk due to the greater weight on his joints. If he can keep other centers from getting position and grab some boards or box out, he'll be good paired with an Ibaka/Anthony Davis type 4. I doubt he'll develop much as a benchrider getting regular DNPs on the Sixers though.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I wonder what the ROI of these ads on jerseys really are. I have no idea what infor is and I'm not going to go check it out because it's on a Nets jersey.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I was watching a game on Monday where he was in a walking boot and even the Suns media had no idea why. I guess that is why.

He really needed the playing time, too.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The steph defense

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
T-Wolves officially signed Lance to a 10 day contract.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Only one rookie averages more ppg than Mavs Yogi, Embiid.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Libertine posted:

Good branding.

:golfclap:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/829433391246405633

what

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

shyduck posted:

Is Infor a big company? A lot of lovely startups with a lot of cash drop it on big sports ad buys, if any of yall remember what superbowls were like in the dot com era. Or how half the stadia in the country are named after companies you've never heard of. Guaranteed Rate Field! Rolls right off the tongue!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

I actually like Yahoo Sports app on my phone, but isn't Yahoo really close to folding or being turned into something else? I imagine any good content creators that they have would be looking for other work.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

shyduck posted:

Nice, just a fat red mark on a black/white jersey, kinda like a F on a test

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 8, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Libertine posted:

I actually like Yahoo Sports app on my phone, but isn't Yahoo really close to folding or being turned into something else? I imagine any good content creators that they have would be looking for other work.
It's Altaba

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lol @ the Nets' Scarlet Letter uniforms. As if having to wear "NETS" plastered across your chest hasn't been enough embarrassment over the last few years

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Spacebump posted:

Only one rookie averages more ppg than Mavs Yogi, Embiid.

What about Dario Saric? I see him at 9.9 and Yogi at 9.5.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NotWearingPants posted:

What about Dario Saric? I see him at 9.9 and Yogi at 9.5.

That's why I typed "Mavs Yogi" instead of just Yogi. (so I could avoid averaging his stats with the joke franchise) His Mavs average is 16.3 ppg. Let's ignore that it's just 6 games and DWill/Barea will come back to take more of his minutes

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 8, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

pubic works project posted:

T-Wolves officially signed Lance to a 10 day contract.

Timberwolves season just tumbling down the stairs right now

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Libertine posted:

verizon's trying to buy it and the whole e-mail hack thing is killing whatever's left of them

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

I'm really sorry to see that his total disdain for ESPN is coming to an end. Sure the guy has terrible opinions but I did enjoy him making GBS threads on them at every opportunity

Libertine posted:

Good branding.

lol

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

chunkles posted:

Timberwolves season just tumbling down the stairs right now

:perfect:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Spacebump posted:

That's why I typed "Mavs Yogi" instead of just Yogi. (so I could avoid averaging his stats with the joke franchise) His Mavs average is 16.3 ppg. Let's ignore that it's just 6 games and DWill/Barea will come back to take more of his minutes

My mistake. I should have realized that.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/GrantGoldberg/status/829439195999395840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Anyone else remember when someone pointed out in the pre-season that what Phil was doing looks like the perfect stealth tank move? If that is his actual plan and he gets anything of potential longterm value for Melo, does that make him not a bad gm? Other GMs were too scared to draft King Zing and they could potentially get some of Zing's supporting cast this offseason. Around the end of Noah's deal is about when a time on that timeline should be able to do anything if the drafts go well.

• Locked thread