Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

thats been debunked, 3rd parties asked apple to support it for their lovely accessories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

oh god I've used that connector before and it manages to be even worse and less durable than mini-USB.

why the gently caress not require USB-c everywhere? the licensing revenue from lightning has to be trivial, are they that obsessed with control over things being able to plug into the iPhone?

i'm choosing to believe that usb-c holes are bigger and less durable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

usb-c is definitely bigger. no idea on relative durability.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i'm choosing to believe that usb-c holes are bigger and less durable

usb-c holes are very slightly bigger. the airpod charger has a usb-c cutout but a lightning port inside and in the second picture you can see the difference clearly

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

lol steve would literally murder someone for this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmbo

they're architecting a building with tolerances so tight it's going to explode the minute the ground settles, but they let this poo poo fly?

steve was cremated right? because if not his corpse is spinning so fast it's probably boring its way to the earth's core as we speak

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

poty posted:

lol steve would literally murder someone for this

its indefensible but hey it was only three months late no time to sweat the details

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
usb c is just lightning with more pins, you guys realize that, right?

the usb c connector is not designed to support a device's weight. iPhones and iPads can be mounted on a lightning plug.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

THC posted:

its because steve is gone, nobody is there to just make a decision on doorknobs (after publicly shaming and firing the guy he put in charge of doorknobs)

"i told you I wanted BRUSHED steel you dumb gently caress! you piece of poo poo! this is SATIN CHROME you loving SHITSTAIN! take them ALL off right now!! I will loving END YOU

so stebe is christian bale in that ranting video?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

the usb c connector is not designed to support a device's weight. iPhones and iPads can be mounted on a lightning plug.

what does any of that have to do with a charge cradle that will never be supported by its plug which rests in a cutout obviously designed for an entirely different connector?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, that's cool and all, so why did they put a lightning plug in a usb-c cutout?

why did they make a usb-c cutout at all when none of their mobile devices or accessories use usb-c?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why did no one at any point in the design or production of this product say "man, this looks like poo poo, why are we doing this?"

is it in any way related to the fact that the product itself is a pointless bad idea that should never have gone past the brainstorming board?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

it's not though

lightning male ends are just a flat piece, and female ends are holes with eight pins that protrude a tiny bit

usb-c male ends are a flat piece with an open hole and twenty-four pins in that little hole, and female ends are holes with a flat piece that has to perfectly nest inside the male piece's hole

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

what does any of that have to do with a charge cradle that will never be supported by its plug which rests in a cutout obviously designed for an entirely different connector?

it doesn't. I wasn't talking about the EarPods charger, I was talking about why the phones and iPads use lighting instead of USB C

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's not though

lightning male ends are just a flat piece, and female ends are holes with eight pins that protrude a tiny bit

usb-c male ends are a flat piece with an open hole and twenty-four pins in that little hole, and female ends are holes with a flat piece that has to perfectly nest inside the male piece's hole

sorry, I meant they are the same at the electrical and dynamic pin configuration protocol level. physically they are obviously different.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

USB c is great because it's a rea world example of what would happen if you took all of the disadvantages of having a male and female plug at the same time

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol apple had another down quarter that they're getting to spin as a positive because of bookkeeping shenanigans

you know a company's on the rocks when they have to resort to accounting chicanery to look financially healthy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's not though

so it... sounds the male?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's not though

send nudes

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

infernal machines posted:

why did no one at any point in the design or production of this product say "man, this looks like poo poo, why are we doing this?"

is it in any way related to the fact that the product itself is a pointless bad idea that should never have gone past the brainstorming board?

I think you'll find that it was actually incredibly brave of them lol

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
~*~courage~*~

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Fanatical attention to detail is a key tenet. Early in construction, Apple managers told the construction team that the ceiling - composed of large panels of polished concrete - should be immaculate inside and out, just as the inside of the iPhone’s audio jack is a finished product, a former construction manager recalled.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

perfectly nest inside the male piece's hole

:getin:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

lmbo

they're architecting a building with tolerances so tight it's going to explode the minute the ground settles, but they let this poo poo fly?

steve was cremated right? because if not his corpse is spinning so fast it's probably boring its way to the earth's core as we speak

his spinning corpse is powering the apple ring.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

his spinning corpse is powering the apple ring.

man, at this rate that poo poo's gonna take off into orbit the minute they cut the ribbon

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

okay which one of you ITT writes for the atlantic?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/02/the-myth-of-apples-great-design

quote:

Apple has great design is the biggest myth in technology today. The latest victim of this ideology comes in the form a remarkable report on the late Steve Jobs’s final project, still in production: a new, $5 billion Cupertino headquarters for Apple Inc.

The only problem with this conclusion: Apple has never accomplished sufficiently great design in its electronics to justify lionizing the pedantry of design at the new Apple campus.

But if Apple designs at its best when attending closely to details like those revealed in the construction of its spaceship headquarters, then presumably the details of its products would stand out as worthy precedents. Yet, when this premise is tested, it comes up wanting. In truth, Apple’s products hide a shambles of bad design under the perfection of sleek exteriors.

Steve Jobs’s design philosophy was fascist more than it was exacting. The man was a not a demigod of design, but its dictator. He made things get made the way he wanted them made, and his users appreciated his definitiveness and lack of compromise. They mistook those conceits for virtues in the objects themselves.

Ironically, such design amounts to an inversion of the company’s famous 1984 Super Bowl ad for the original Macintosh. In the ad, Apple’s exuberant individualism destroys the tedious uniformity of an unnamed foe, implied to be IBM. But as time has worn on, Apple’s wares have become increasingly collectivist and uniform, not to mention inoperative—even as the company has somehow gotten credit only for innovation and performance. It has inspired that uniformity in competing products too. Every vagrant entrepreneur in the local coffee house has the same gray (or rose gold) laptop and the same black (or rose gold) phone, no matter their makes or models.

Like every Apple product, the company’s new headquarters is a monolith meant to be worshiped at sight and by touch. Just don’t ask too many questions about how it works in practice. And work it surely will. Borg-like, the black, glass Apple mothership, with its perfect ceiling panels and regulated wood veneers, will shroud its engineers in the safe comfort of an unperturbed gait, such that they might yet craft the identical, future devices that shall still inspire the indistinguishable software that will yet run on them, so you and I might rejoice in their splendor.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why is supermechagodzilla writing for the atlantic?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
steve had a vision where tech executives and workers were treated with little to no respect and as a result they produced better products and had a better understanding of their real value

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

that's not very visionary though

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

first its fascist then its collectivist which is it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

LastInLine posted:

first its fascist then its collectivist which is it

they're actually the same thing, you need to retake liberalism 101/reread karl popper. smh

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 10, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

design fascist is a really good job description for steve. design hitler

poty
Jun 21, 2008

say what you want about steve but he made the mac hardware upgrades run on time

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

poty posted:

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
fascists aren't necessarily bad at design though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

poty posted:

im still waiting for the g5 powerbook he promised me >:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghdTqnYnFyg&t=119s

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Leader posted:

fascists aren't necessarily bad at design though

just look at the SS uniforms

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

poty posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if there's on positive thing to be said for nazi Germany, it's they had some great design. the hugo boss uniforms. their tanks and aircraft were by far superior to anyone else's. they made the autobahn which was revolutionary at the time. their gun designs were great. and honestly, the whole nazi symbolism with the flags and the eagles and swastikas was very powerful branding.

also nazis are terrible and you should punch one in the face. comparing steve to fascists is disgusting and I'm surprised that the Atlantic would allow this kind of garbage.

• Locked thread