Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Omnomnomnivore posted:

(2) fighting in an interdimensional martial arts tournament that led to the overthrow of the Kung Fu dimension's corrupt ruler?

No, that was the first Mortal Kombat movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I just want to see Fat Cobra on TV.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arist posted:

I've been kinda worried about this since I saw that preview footage at NYCC

But hey, the fights look cool

I wish.

I don't understand why they don't look better, or why the trailer didn't make them seem better. No connecting with the hits, no interesting moves, no interesting ideas.

Why didn't they just let some HK or Indonesian stunt co-ordinators go hog wild on this thing? Or at least make it seem like they did...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think 'yet another dude who punches people' is a concept that needs getting eased into at this point in comic book adaptations.

Sure, but 90% of people who watch it have no idea. It's OK to not be interested in a product. I promise you won't miss anything by not watching it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Sure, but 90% of people who watch it have no idea. It's OK to not be interested in a product. I promise you won't miss anything by not watching it.

Eh, if Legends of Tomorrow's could salvage itself into a genuinely entertaining albeit ridiculously stupid show then there is still hope. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Eh, if Legends of Tomorrow's could salvage itself into a genuinely entertaining albeit ridiculously stupid show then there is still hope. :v:

Yeah but until that happens let's just remain pessimistic.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 8, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'll stop complaining when the shows start living up to their potential.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I too enjoy being critical if things I'll never watch. gently caress Agents of Shield, for example.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The fight choreography looked pretty bad. Seems like the show that should get the best people and resources for the fighting, but it's been getting kinda bad for the Marvel shows. DDs2 also had some slightly weird choreography, but this seemed extremely lacklustre.

At least Colleen is going to be amazing.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

This looks rad as hell and I'm super excited. I really hope this is a goofy Kung Fu series with lots of wire fu and martial art movie tropes. Danny already seems a lot less angsty and serious than the other defenders, which is very promising for me. Netflix Marvel takes itself a little too seriously for my taste.

I'll never understand the serious criticism of dumb superhero shows so many posters engage in round these parts. I guess I just like liking things.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was a good show hidden in Daredevil season 2 but every time magical ninjas reared their ugly heads in they dragged the show straight down into the toilet. If the season would have cut everything related to the ninja-plotlines and focused exclusively on Frank Castle nothing would have been lost.

That's not because it's impossible to write a good Ninja story. The ninja stuff in Daredevil was bad because they refused to tell us what Black Sky was, so there were no stakes, we didn't really know why The Hand was bad, except that they wanted whatever the gently caress Black Sky was, presumably for bad reasons, there was no really compelling character related to The Hand, it was just generic faceless ninjas, and it divided the focus of the show, and made it feel like there was no coherent theme or goal.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CainsDescendant posted:

I'll never understand the serious criticism of dumb superhero shows so many posters engage in round these parts. I guess I just like liking things.

Well like you said, Marvel Netflix does take itself seriously so it's to be expected that people will level "serious" criticism at it.

There's also nothing wrong with liking to like things.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ufarn posted:

The fight choreography looked pretty bad. Seems like the show that should get the best people and resources for the fighting, but it's been getting kinda bad for the Marvel shows. DDs2 also had some slightly weird choreography, but this seemed extremely lacklustre.

At least Colleen is going to be amazing.

Sometimes I wonder what I'm seeing differently than other people. How did that look bad? It looked like a well choreographed fight scene of a smaller combatant against two larger ones to me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

achillesforever6 posted:

I would want that if only it meant that shang chi would show up

Of course! Shang Chi (Master of Kung Fu) is already rumored to be in the show.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

mikeraskol posted:

Sometimes I wonder what I'm seeing differently than other people. How did that look bad? It looked like a well choreographed fight scene of a smaller combatant against two larger ones to me.

Lots of quick cuts (?), poor choreography. Looked like it was shot by a 23yr old Len Wiseman.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not because it's impossible to write a good Ninja story. The ninja stuff in Daredevil was bad because they refused to tell us what Black Sky was, so there were no stakes, we didn't really know why The Hand was bad, except that they wanted whatever the gently caress Black Sky was, presumably for bad reasons, there was no really compelling character related to The Hand, it was just generic faceless ninjas, and it divided the focus of the show, and made it feel like there was no coherent theme or goal.

I have no idea if this is actually the case, but it felt like the showrunners got the Defenders gig midway through working on S2 and decided hastily to save some of the Hand story beats they had planned for that, and sloppily improvised some filler in place of the originally intended ending to that storyline.

Either way, I liked the Hand stuff for most of S2, while it actually seemed to be building to something. But it just abruptly fizzled out in a muddle of poorly defined, contradictory mythology instead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really hate being a tacticlol person but it's just loving dumb that a 90 pound person can out grapple a 220lb person, much less break their arm with a lock before the bigger person stands up and smashes the tiny one into the ground. This 90lber was taking and giving full body blows and not once did she do any sort of major nerve strikes which. God dammit I sound like a loving goon, but you can't paste in a dude that weighs a third of the person they're fighting and make the stunts and choreography the same as if two beefy dudes were pounding down on each other.

Also, the cuts and focus switching looked pretty blah for the course. Everything about the trailer and that fight scene makes it look like the CW brand...except there's probably less sexual drama. Green Arrow without the bow. :rolleyes:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. It was Arrow-esqe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

Some people think things are bad and would like them if they were better while guys like you and me are content to just kinda shovel whatever into our netflix queue like we're at a buffet.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
drat did I miss the window to declare that Iron Fist Was Always Bad based on a 2 minute trailer? Now I'll never get into heaven :(

MiddleOne posted:

Something less tripe and uninteresting.

I, too, hate when things are tripe

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Soothing Vapors posted:

drat did I miss the window to declare that Iron Fist Was Always Bad based on a 2 minute trailer? Now I'll never get into heaven :(

I personally declare Iron Fist to be the figgiest show on a computer screen.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Given that tripe is a bad thing to be described as, thats a good stance to have :confused:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

I really hate being a tacticlol person but it's just loving dumb that a 90 pound person can out grapple a 220lb person, much less break their arm with a lock before the bigger person stands up and smashes the tiny one into the ground. This 90lber was taking and giving full body blows and not once did she do any sort of major nerve strikes which. God dammit I sound like a loving goon, but you can't paste in a dude that weighs a third of the person they're fighting and make the stunts and choreography the same as if two beefy dudes were pounding down on each other.

Also, the cuts and focus switching looked pretty blah for the course. Everything about the trailer and that fight scene makes it look like the CW brand...except there's probably less sexual drama. Green Arrow without the bow. :rolleyes:

A really good 90lb grappler could probably do that sometimes to a mediocre at best 220lb grappler dude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXUlXAUcCkc

Taking and receiving actual strikes though is going to be much rougher unless she's got some of those super powers though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zythrst posted:

I personally declare Iron Fist to be the figgiest show on a computer screen.

Positively ghee-esque

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Given that tripe is a bad thing to be described as, thats a good stance to have :confused:
lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

The action was fine, but the way it was shot - as well as the sound effects - were pretty bad.

This is a good video on the way Hollywood do fighting scenes wrongly by constantly cutting and changing perspective so you never see and feel the hits connects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

It got to the point where it was a little confusing how she got hit herself in the scene.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Rand does look a little goofy in that trailer to be honest but I'm gonna give it a shot.

One thing I noticed about these Netflix series is how they use different colored lighting for each one that reflects the character. DD was bathed in a lot of crimson and black, Cage had lots of yellow and amber lighting offset by blues and I notice that Iron Fist uses a lot of green and yellow.

It's a subtle thing but it's pretty cool. Haven't seen Jessica Jones. Is it magenta and purple tones?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Rand does look a little goofy in that trailer to be honest but I'm gonna give it a shot.

One thing I noticed about these Netflix series is how they use different colored lighting for each one that reflects the character. DD was bathed in a lot of crimson and black, Cage had lots of yellow and amber lighting offset by blues and I notice that Iron Fist uses a lot of green and yellow.

It's a subtle thing but it's pretty cool. Haven't seen Jessica Jones. Is it magenta and purple tones?
They mainly use purple for the Purple Man (no really a spoiler, but for the purists:) as a hint to when she's thinking about him.

To be fair to Rand, the "billionaire disappears and comes back a martial arts master" has already been done by one of the biggest superhero movies and one of the biggest superhero TV shows, and no one's done it in a comic relief fashion, so I'm giving them a pass on that one.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I think you can look at Chan's stuff, and more recently the choreography & directing in stuff like John Wick to show contrast to how weak conventional choreography has become. Thing is you have to do the work to back all that up. Months and months teaching the people in the frame to actually fight.

Modern works with celebrated action direction & choreography either start with martial artists and turn them into actors, or give actors a whole shitload of prep to give them the toolbox necessary to play a credible part in the choreography.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, this show should have been shot like a Shaw brothers movie, but I wasn't really expecting them to do that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Tripe is a noun. Nothing can be "less tripe" anymore than something can be "less stomach" or "less finger".

But you can describe something that you think to be poo poo as "utter tripe" or "a load of tripe", that's fine.

I suspect the word the original poster wanted to use was "trite".

Like, look, I'm not being a grammar nazi when I explain this, I'm just assuming you want an actual explanation.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think you can look at Chan's stuff, and more recently the choreography & directing in stuff like John Wick to show contrast to how weak conventional choreography has become. Thing is you have to do the work to back all that up. Months and months teaching the people in the frame to actually fight.

Modern works with celebrated action direction & choreography either start with martial artists and turn them into actors, or give actors a whole shitload of prep to give them the toolbox necessary to play a credible part in the choreography.
It mainly annoys me because DDs1 seemed to get those things right, which made it feel someone started slacking off at some point. Or maybe that stuff just went away with Steven S. DeKnight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ufarn posted:

It mainly annoys me because DDs1 seemed to get those things right, which made it feel someone started slacking off at some point. Or maybe that stuff just went away with Steven S. DeKnight.

The television industry boom might also be to blame. There have been a number of reports indicating that television has becoming increasingly short staffed in the various technical departments. I imagine good stunt people are getting stretched pretty thinly on the ground.

But I also imagine that losing DeKnight had something to do with it. He's always been particular about his action sequences, ever since his Buffy/Angel days.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
DD was very amenable to hiding stunties given the costuming, and DeKnight has also had a lot of practice doing good action to a TV budget I guess.

The conditions in general were probably way better for DD to have good action compared to any other, and even that suffered in the ninja parts of season 2, due to the fact that you just can't get that much good manpower on the screen to do the concept well based on the budgets they're working.

edit: like there's no loving way Charlie Cox can do those quasi-one shots on his own if he doesn't have stunt support, and the costumes perfect for a stunty to step in given the right build.

No other Marvel-Netflix series has been amenable to that type of sleight of hand.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 9, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MiddleOne posted:

Every time comic book shows drift into magic ninja territory I start feeling like this entire Marvel-Netflix push was a mistake.

You're the reason we won't get to see Iron Fist punch a dragon, and gently caress you very much for that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As someone who has no knowledge of Iron Fist at all, that trailer looked completely uninteresting and bland, and based solely off the trailers and Game of Thrones I don't really think Finn Jones is going to be able to carry being the lead of a show.

Then again I probably won't ever watch it, so whatever. I do look forward to seeing io9 post a bunch of articles about how amazing it is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Danny doesn't punch a dragon in the heart I'm going to write so many angry emails to Marvel and then never hit send.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I thought he just touched the dragon's heart, not that he punched it...

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

the official comics line is beat the dragon to death bare-handed and then "plunged his fists into its molten heart" which may or may not be considered a punch if it was already down.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The dragon had his heart off to the side in a brazier. Danny fought the dragon Shou-Lao the Undying because the Shou-Lao didn't want dudes messing with it's heart, in the process of fighting Shou-Lao Danny pressed his chest to the place where Shou-Lao's heart would have been, searing the dragon design into his chest. After beating Shou-Lao to death with his hands, Danny went over to Shou-Lao's heart brazier and put his hands into it like a Shaolin Monk punches braziers full of sand/rocks to build up their hand toughness.

Shou-Lao the Undying is killed by every Iron Fist, who then punch the dragon's heart. Later Shou-Lao is reborn and defends his heart until the next Iron Fist comes along, kills him, punches his heart, and starts the cycle over again. Different Iron Fists have dragon burn scars in different places on their body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

As someone who has no knowledge of Iron Fist at all, that trailer looked completely uninteresting and bland, and based solely off the trailers and Game of Thrones I don't really think Finn Jones is going to be able to carry being the lead of a show.

Then again I probably won't ever watch it, so whatever. I do look forward to seeing io9 post a bunch of articles about how amazing it is.

Colleen is also played by one of the GoT Sand Snakes.

So, that doesn't bode well for choreography.