Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Septic fields work great and wells are really no big deal.

Just make sure you have electricity and natural gas to the property line.

E:. JFC is Stirling lake radioactive or something? There's a 4 acre parcel for 80k

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, you joke but pretty much actually. Between radon and feedlots Stirling is a shithole. The only acreages I would even consider go for mad crazy money in the area, it's just not in the cards. TBH, even if it was, as a couple it doesn't really interest me much. I'm too fat and lazy. Young family, maybe. I have found memories of it as a kid but I know my folks don't!

Coaldale, if we do it, is literally as far from my office as I am now time-wise so that's pretty appealing. It actually has the benefits of a nice small town but still have super convenient access to Lethbridge. It's less than 7 minutes away from the edge of town. They even have fibre internet throughout town which I don't even have an option of here.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh, OK yeah screw that place then.

For real though I'd buy a farm or something and rent out the land for hay to someone else.

And then I'd build a race track on it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Today's central/southern Alberta cultural exchange was a success. We traded tires for different tires, got rid of a fridge, and picked up a bunch of parts. Including a block heater for 1500's rx7.

Big thanks to mctinkerson for the tour.

My truck got the best fuel milage and ran better than it ever has under my ownership, so that's fantastic too.

Stay safe tomorrow guys, I hear it's gonna be bad out there, especially you poor bastards in the South west.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We learned a lot about ourselves, and what's more important is that almost none of us were stabbed.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We learned a lot about ourselves, and what's more important is that almost none of us were stabbed.

You had it coming.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stuck in Fox Creek again for a few days. We have a base here and 10 trucks running 24/7 right now, but do you think they had the foresight to have a mechanic around ? Nope he's on holidays. So now I'm waiting for repairs at some third party mechanics and watching my time sheet increase at 45/hr.

When I get out of here and head south I'm going to grab a Lebanese burger. We will see if it is compatible with my digestive tract while living out of a truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As long as you've got time to kill hop on ladd 1 and hit up the fox vegas hooker!

doooooooon't do that

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LoL is there seriously a hooker tuned into Ladd 1 ?

I've never paid for sex before, I feel like if I ever do, Fox Creek isn't the place to start.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, there is, or at least was the last time i was up there. it's the road channel for the big stone just outside of town and after 10pm she's usually on there doing her thing.

It's pretty much the worst thing ever hearing newfies try to flirt with a hooker.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I were to ever nail a hooker, I can guarantee it sure as hell wouldn't be a Fox Creek lot lizard. :barf:

In other news...

So remember a while ago I mentioned a guy who had foreign accreditation as an "Engineer" and repeatedly failed the APEGA exams so he made it a human rights case? Human rights agreed (???!!) and directed to make APEGA accommodate an incompetent individual, which APEGA appealed, won, incompetent guy appealed that?

Well, it's finally wound its way through the system and in the end sanity prevailed. APEGA isn't being forced to let someone who has demonstrated nothing but incompetence become a practising engineer.

Background articles/editorials:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-c...minated-against
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/national-post-editorial-board-human-rights-vs-engineering

final decision:

quote:

Queen’s Bench Justice June Ross said the tribunal’s ruling contained errors and was unreasonable.

“The tribunal’s reasons leading to (the chairman’s) conclusion that APEGA could have accommodated Mr. Mihaly and others sharing his characteristics are rife with logical errors, findings of fact that are not supported by evidence and failures to take into account relevant considerations,” she wrote.

“I conclude that the decision of the tribunal should be reversed.”

The association’s CEO, Mark Flint, said the judge’s ruling will help protect public safety and confirms its application process is fair.

Flint said if the ruling had been upheld it would have negatively affected the ability of professions that regulate themselves including engineering, medicine, law, dentistry and accounting.

Thank loving Christ. The Professions in Canada and the US in particular were holding there breath on this one because the precedent would have been massive and the reciprocal agreements between provinces and states would have made it potentially effect almost every jurisdiction in North America. And it's not just the profeciency exams dude failed, he also repeatedly failed the ethics exam which Mrs. Slidebite says I would be able to pass no problem as it's mostly common knowledge, and I'm a dumb gently caress.

In other news, the Human Rights tribunal needs to have their brains examined.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How do you fail an ethics exam? Everyone I've ever taken/seen has basically been: Would you do this obviously shady thing that is explicitly wrong or a conflict of interest?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question 1:
Is it wrong to bribe an official?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Prostitutes and Vodka are not bribery

Now, if we could only get rid of government legitimized self regulating bodies for horseshit pseudoscience like naturopathy and chiropractors the world would be an even better place.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I have to deal with this stuff every day and I still cringe over the fact that naturopath is standard coverage through almost all health insurance plans, and that it actually gets used by some people.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

I have to deal with this stuff every day and I still cringe over the fact that naturopath is standard coverage through almost all health insurance plans, and that it actually gets used by some people.

Hey man, watered down oil of oregano is loving expensive, OK?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just want someone who genuinely listens to me when I have concerns about my health and also will poke around in a Tupperware container of my poop if it's a weird colour.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

odiv posted:

I just want someone who genuinely listens to me and also will poke around in a Tupperware container of my poop if it's a weird colour.

I know a guy that'll do that for free

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Quit kinkshaming jerk :mad:

So it's -25C right now and over a foot of snow. Last week I had the Porsche and bike out :(

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I want this solely so that I can put a "I support single moms" sticker on the back window.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2016-volvo-v60-polestar/1235950528?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What's going on in pincher Creek? CBC is reporting a warning from the RCMP for the public to stay away.

Is this The Happening nutcases keep talking about?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you didn't adhere to all the normal warnings to stay away from pincher creek, why would an offical one stop you:

also, apparently it's a guy with a gun barricaded in a house.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pincher is actually a nice little town in a picturesque location but it has its share of problems due to it's gas economy and bordering on a fairly notorious reserve (and 120kph winds every day that ends with a "y")

Last I heard they arrested the guy and things are turning back to normal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ, almost -30C this AM and +10 tomorrow without a wind warning :eyepop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I like Pincher Creek, we used to camp down there and in that area when I was a kid. Always has a good time.

Jumping up and then holding your coat open like a flying squirrel is a blast / great way to test out local healthcare.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My gas forced air furnace is being dopey the last couple days. I think the new filter I put in towards the end of december is too restrictive. Removing the filter alleviates all the issues (low airflow, low heat even though the furnace exhaust is hot, on/off cycling).

doesn't help that I have a nest thermostat which makes me second guess everything and blame the nest because loving smart devices

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is it one of those side-of-house exhaust units?

Mine was acting fucky a couple years back. Turns out the little cone popped off the pipe and was messing up airflow. Go see if it's drooping or on the ground. Cold weather and plastic ducting sucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah I bought a high efficiency pleated filter that was too restrictive on mine and caused my furnace to reset...I presume overheat. Went back to the cheap as hell fiberglass mesh and problems went away.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

If I run the full HEPA filters which are super dense & restricted, I get belt squeal on the blower motor drive belt.

No squeal with the super cheap ones which filter less but obviously flow better.

Edit: Black Gold! http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1984-nissan-300zx-turbo-special-edition-amazing-shape/1237590191?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 9, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hey Pincher Creek is a great place to get a breakfast sandwich and coffee on the way to Castle.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

If I run the full HEPA filters which are super dense & restricted, I get belt squeal on the blower motor drive belt.

No squeal with the super cheap ones which filter less but obviously flow better.

Edit: Black Gold! http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1984-nissan-300zx-turbo-special-edition-amazing-shape/1237590191?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn a Black Gold

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is exactly slidebites early 20s studmobile. It so exact if it was an 85 I would believe it was my actual old car.

To nitpick though, that ain't a black gold. The 280zx was.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

This amazing and I want it. Somebody should buy it, drive it hard enough to shake out the problems and knock off $1000 of value, then sell it to me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Me too so I can relive my youth. Minimal rust on a Z can mean anything from surface rust from a rock chip to drivers seat about to fall through the floor.
e: Only photo I think I have of my old car for comparison

Hey, question to you guys.

Remember that wicked hailstorm I had last year with that tennis ball hail? Well insurance paid us $9K to re-shingle and eavestrough. Here is the interesting part though, we had a few additional estimates and the roofing guys were all shocked that insurance paid for a new roof because they said the shingles really looked quite good. Eavestrough had some dents from the hail here and there, but nothing that effects functionality.

Which brings up the question...

We are probably going to be listing the house within the next month or two. Should I try to re-shingle/eavestrough before the listing even though it's not bad OR should I offer to include $9K in the sale for the buyer to re-shingle/eavestrough so they can pick style, colors, etc?

What would you prefer as a potential home buyer?

I see both sides of it. Some people want to do literally nothing to a new house purchase, but others might want input and decide what to do... or even pocket the $$dough$$.

Thoughts?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 9, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If I didn't have the Mazda and that thing was in good mechanical shape that would be hard to pass up.

Edit: How bad does the roof look? I'd personally be inclined to just list it if it is passable but expect to knock some cash off through the process. Odds are if you include the cash in the sale and the roof is passable its never going to be used towards a new roof.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 9, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's certainly not bad and it didn't/doesn't concern me, but I am sure it knocked a few years off the roof (8 years old now) and it was noticeable enough for the insurance adjuster to give the go-ahead to the claim for it and eavestroughs.

If I were to buy our house I probably wouldn't do it either, but its something a home inspector worth his salt would pick up on. I'd prefer to be proactive about it then leaving it for someone to "discover" and then have second thoughts about the house.

e: Also :lol: at "approx" 250HP on that Z31T. That thing did 200 brand new, and it's got to be one hell of a K&N to give anywhere near a 25% boost.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 9, 2017

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'd expect a new roof to bump house price by a few k, and I wouldn't expect the price break to let people make their own choices to be as attractive. What's your deductible on it? With 8 years on the roof and extra damage, if you don't get it done I'd agree that a competent home inspector would put a replacement in his report and it would be a bargaining chip worth a few thousand in the inspection report.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So uh, not only are FD Spirit R's legal now. So are these: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fyshwick/cars-vans-utes/2002-ford-falcon-ba-xr6-purple-5-speed-manual-utility/1132474204

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What a weird body kit for a Baja.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^Haha

Whelp, just made a deal on a house yesterday. It's 90% completed but we're pushing possession to May 1. Has an attached triple (thank god). It's ready for an overhead heater heater in the garage (gas, power, even vented already just capped) and the builder said he'd install a heater for me if I have it ready for when the plumbers are back.

Recommendations? I'm debating between forced air and radiant, but I am leaning towards forced air. Are there any brands to avoid? I'm leaning towards a Reznor but I have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

^Haha

Whelp, just made a deal on a house yesterday. It's 90% completed but we're pushing possession to May 1. Has an attached triple (thank god). It's ready for an overhead heater heater in the garage (gas, power, even vented already just capped) and the builder said he'd install a heater for me if I have it ready for when the plumbers are back.

Recommendations? I'm debating between forced air and radiant, but I am leaning towards forced air. Are there any brands to avoid? I'm leaning towards a Reznor but I have no clue.

Forced air in small shops. I have a Reznor and it owns. Radiants are only really good in huge shops and industrial buildings in my opinion.