Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Still works for me - ten PGM-2710s for $200 each, right?

(they look GORGEOUS :eyepop:)

Yeah it's back for me now too. Like it's been said earlier if you think you need a giant 480P display thats an amazing deal, just don't buy it for older 240P stuff. If that was by me I'd get it just for Dreamcast VGA stuff

e: :rgb: lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

azurite posted:

PVM chat is back and we still don't have an :rgb: emotic---oh.

that is incredible

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This is great. would also be good.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

would also be good.

I think :rgb: conveys the correct meaning

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Except they do handle it the way it's used "everywhere else", Windows is the dominant platform. The standards didn't drift, they're still the same as ever.

You should probably ask why the AT&T engineers never bothered to get with the standard at some point in the 70s.

it would take like 5 minutes for them to fix notepad to display everything perfectly

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yeah, sadly the PGMs were all taken. I reached out to the seller right after I posted but they said they got an overwhelming response. I did notice they posted this in the time it took me to get home, though:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5995370526.html

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

univbee posted:

Hmmm, perhaps I should get my NES Mini thread renamed, it didn't exactly go the way I was anticipating when they had just announced the thing.

It honestly might be worth it to close it and create a new one focusing on

1. How to find one (brickseek, nowinstock.net, etc)
2. How to add in more roms (including hacked roms) using HAKCHI2
3. Hacked NES games like Metroid: Rogue Dawn, Megaman Minus Infinity, Mario Adventures, etc.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 9, 2017

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Oh poo poo, the guy e-mailed me back and someone backed out of a multi-buy, so I can snag one of those PGMs if I want to.

edit: But, yeah, it looks like it only does 31Khz, so no 240p I guess. That might make it less worth it for me (I also don't have an xrgb or anything).

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 9, 2017

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
see if he offers free shipping to the west coast :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know, after listening to a few of the MSU1 games...it a neat gimmick, but honestly the music really sounds out of place to the point of distracting. Probably doesn't help the music tends to be really over done remixes of the songs like the Mario World and Final Fantasy VI default ones were. No matter, I am still very happy with the SD2SNES and glad I sold my Super Everdrive to get one.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

agreed, I can't see the appeal in MSU-1 patching either. Maybe it's because I have a ton of nostalgia for the way SNES games sound but patched versions just never work for me and seem downright sacrilegious in some cases (chrono trigger)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azurite posted:

PVM chat is back and we still don't have an :rgb: emotic---oh.

It took me way too long to realize what the background image in :rgb: was.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
The SD2SNES will also be worth it once the Tengai Makyou Zero translation is out because they are really close now. I just hope the ROM can just be expanded out like Star Ocean as opposed to waiting for ikari to implement the SPC7110 (lol).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Random Stranger posted:

It took me way too long to realize what the background image in :rgb: was.

You might need to calibrate your display!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azurite posted:

You might need to calibrate your display!

Do you have a blue gel I could borrow to calibrate the lower third of the smilie?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Just once I'd like to see a MSU patch that was just like, putting in higher quality samples for games that used unusually poor quality samples in its normal music, or something like that. Or for games that were ports from other systems, providing the music from one of the other systems it was on.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Can one make music for MSU and apply the patch to any game universally? If so just apply Yakety Sax to pretty much everything and call it good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Just once I'd like to see a MSU patch that was just like, putting in higher quality samples for games that used unusually poor quality samples in its normal music, or something like that. Or for games that were ports from other systems, providing the music from one of the other systems it was on.

The MSU-1 patch for Flashback does this, I think taking the music from the 3DO version or something?

falz posted:

Can one make music for MSU and apply the patch to any game universally? If so just apply Yakety Sax to pretty much everything and call it good.

The game itself needs light reprogramming to shoehorn in instructions for music playback if the MSU-1 chip is detected, but the actual music itself is just straight PCM with specific settings so you could take an existing MSU-1 patch and mass-replace everything.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

flyboi posted:

Having been fairly frequent on taobao recently importing some arcade hardware I gave this a shot. They don't offer the consolidated shipping option so you can't really order one outside of China.

I just found out that you can use https://www.bhiner.com and http://www.superbuy.com to proxy buy from Taobao. Unfortunately I've blown my retro gaming budget for a long time on the Analogue NT Mini.

TheRedEye posted:

You guys, the Analogue NT Mini has unofficial firmware, written by the person who wrote the official firmware, and it's SO. GOOD.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-42#entry3687219

- The NES FPGA core is by Kevtris, the absolute master at this sort of thing. Fine, it's not using any original parts, but this IS an NES, replicated at the hardware level. No emulation here.

- The system now loads ROMs straight off of SD.

- Mapper support is drat near 100%, this plays all the stuff the flash carts don't. Action 52, weird Taiwanese Sachen stuff, Korean games...

- All of the external sound chips are supported perfectly - Kevtris is actually the person who reverse-engineered them in the first place way back when.

- It dumps ROMs! I just dumped a prototype I was having trouble with. I put it in, loaded the program, dumped the ROM, and then immediately tested it on the same device. I've been dumping NES games for about 16 years now and this is by far the easiest it's ever been.

- He's ADDING MORE CORES, once a week. So this is also going to be an FPGA replication of poo poo like Master System, Game Gear, and most of the pre-NES home consoles.

- It does analogue and digital out without any adapters. You can literally buy an RGB cable off of Monoprice for it.

TheRedEye posted:

For sure, if you're patient enough that's an option, though I don't think that's happening anytime soon. I couldn't wait though, I've been salivating over Kevin's FPGA box since he started it like 10+ years ago, and he finally managed to find a manufacturer to make something he could sneak it in to. I'm having fun playing weird Taiwanese and Korean games that don't work on flash carts right now!

This needs more attention as the accuracy of his solution and his attention to detail is unparalleled. I've been awaiting his FPGA console since he showed it off on IRC over a decade ago. It was already more accurate and played more NES games than software emulators, and it had VGA output. With HDMI and the added possibility of the other cores, it's actually saving me from having to repair or mod consoles I was planning to spend money on.

I can't wait another decade, this is clearly the best solution.

(Also, I hope you dumped Sim City for NES)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

UnhandledException posted:

I just found out that you can use https://www.bhiner.com and http://www.superbuy.com to proxy buy from Taobao. Unfortunately I've blown my retro gaming budget for a long time on the Analogue NT Mini.

TaoBao has their own consolidation system that is way cheaper than any other proxy service. With the price of those GBCs I'm not getting screwed by shipping. Plus I just blew a grand on some really, really stupid stuff.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
The only MSU-1 Music replacement that matters is the one for Rock N Roll racing :colbert:

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

flyboi posted:

TaoBao has their own consolidation system that is way cheaper than any other proxy service. With the price of those GBCs I'm not getting screwed by shipping. Plus I just blew a grand on some really, really stupid stuff.

you can't just say this without telling us what the really really stupid stuff is

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

The only MSU-1 Music replacement that matters is the one for Rock N Roll racing :colbert:

Secret of Mana was going to be a SNES CD game so surely it is legitimate to use the MSU-1 patch for that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

checksin posted:

you can't just say this without telling us what the really really stupid stuff is

Pokemon Cock Version.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
How legigble is text on a low res 8" screen? Could I comfortably use, say, a pvm 9041qm with a c64? The phone I'm using rn is a lot smaller than that but the dpi is also much higher

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

the wizards beard posted:

How legigble is text on a low res 8" screen? Could I comfortably use, say, a pvm 9041qm with a c64? The phone I'm using rn is a lot smaller than that but the dpi is also much higher

Well, the screen on the SX-64 is a CRT that's only 5", and that seems to work fine.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Code Jockey posted:

Well, the screen on the SX-64 is a CRT that's only 5", and that seems to work fine.

That's a low bar for "works fine"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

if you're mostly playing games you'll be fine, unless you're mostly gonna be playing RPGs. it's not a huge task to figure out if LOAD "*",8,1 is spelled correctly. Obviously if you plan to do more computery poo poo with it you're gonna want a bigger screen

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

if you're mostly playing games you'll be fine, unless you're mostly gonna be playing RPGs. it's not a huge task to figure out if LOAD "*",8,1 is spelled correctly. Obviously if you plan to do more computery poo poo with it you're gonna want a bigger screen

I want to able to read a monitor/debugger screen so I can debug on hardware. Probably for c64, PC engine and maybe Amiga but the resolutions are all pretty similar. I guess I'll have to try it out

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I want to able to read a monitor/debugger screen so I can debug on hardware. Probably for c64, PC engine and maybe Amiga but the resolutions are all pretty similar. I guess I'll have to try it out

Oh jeez yeah thats gonna be doable but uncomfortable. Just look for a real commodore monitor, they're really not that rare and there's a ton of models that will work with the C64's split video output: https://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/monitor/Commodore_monitors_by_time.html (look at the models that state Y/C compatibility)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I don't know if you've used a C64 lately, but it's only a 40 column by 25 line screen in character mode. You should be just fine on that screen.

You wouldn't want to use it for an Amiga though, as most debugging stuff for it you'd do in 80 column mode and that just won't be usable on that screen. It also wouldn't be too good for actual Amiga games as they tend to be higher resolution than C64 stuff.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They basically designed most of the 8-bit computers around being readable on terrible low res screens, since most people plugged them into their TV.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

checksin posted:

Thanks to China I was able to source all the internal boards (mobo, io, ticker, readers and effector sliders) to this arcade cabinet

and will eventually build it into a ghetto cabinet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Holy awesome!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

fishmech posted:

I don't know if you've used a C64 lately, but it's only a 40 column by 25 line screen in character mode. You should be just fine on that screen.

You wouldn't want to use it for an Amiga though, as most debugging stuff for it you'd do in 80 column mode and that just won't be usable on that screen. It also wouldn't be too good for actual Amiga games as they tend to be higher resolution than C64 stuff.

I think I need to resize some screenshots of all these systems to 8" size and see whats comfortable. I don't have room to commit to anything much larger.

E: 9041 is 9" apparently

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 9, 2017

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Who was it in here that's into Megatouch games? There's a Megatouch 2010 evo ion at $400 here and I'm heavily considering purchasing it. What kind of upgrade path is necessary to get the last sw version installed on it?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
You could always put a fresnel lens in front of it if you think it's going to be too small. This will make your screen appear both larger and farther away.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I think I need to resize some screenshots of all these systems to 8" size and see whats comfortable. I don't have room to commit to anything much larger.

E: 9041 is 9" apparently

You really can't handle a 13 or 14 inch monitor from the time? The Commodore 1702 and 1084/1084s monitors are both widely available, designed for the systems you have, and take up roughly a 16 inch to a side cube.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Thanks to China I was able to source all the internal boards (mobo, io, ticker, readers and effector sliders) to this arcade cabinet

and will eventually build it into a ghetto cabinet

That sounds like an awesome project.

I'd think the actual external interfaces would be the hardest part on the cabinet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

fishmech posted:

You really can't handle a 13 or 14 inch monitor from the time? The Commodore 1702 and 1084/1084s monitors are both widely available, designed for the systems you have, and take up roughly a 16 inch to a side cube.

The PVM has a handle and only weighs around 8kg, the fact I could move it and a console between rooms is appealing. Anything bigger and I'm making a dedicated space, the baby PVMs could even live on a shelf when I'm not using them.

The 1084/s is just a little awkward to deal with it. The 1702 doesn't do RGB iirc. I don't think either is actually shaped like a cube and they have vents so I can't put anything on top ether. I'm sure I could live with them (or any of the other million PAL CRTs that do RGB over scart as I've done before), a dinky PVM just seems neater.

• Locked thread