Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, it parodied The Thin Blue Line too? I mean I saw both The Jinx and Making a Murderer and thought the episode was really funny, but knowing now that I had to also watch The Thin Blue Line in order to get it, I have to say that the episode was trash and the series is going downhill. I think it might even be cancelled after this season.

My point is, the same documentary techniques have been along for so long in the same basic format that you don't need to be familiar with a particular film to get what they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

steinrokkan posted:

My point is, the same documentary techniques have been along for so long in the same basic format that you don't need to be familiar with a particular film to get what they are doing.

Hi, my name is William Shatner and this is Rescue 911.

* people are almost dying
* paramedics do their best, but it doesnt look good
~commercial break~
* paramedics still trying
* Shatner walks close to the camera and gets real serious for a moment
~commercial break~
* everything is fine, theyre all alive
* the paramedics & the almost dead guy and his family all BBQ together

Shatner: and so another story became a truly magically unrealistic hell for all involved. Almost dead guy and the paramedics still hang out together every 4th of July weekend

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

steinrokkan posted:

In the case of Charlie's scene you're wrong. That's s very specific joke.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ChesterJT posted:

In the case of Charlie's scene you're wrong. That's s very specific joke.

I still got the joke, just not the specific reference (because, again, this sort of mumbly interrogation footage is pretty drat common). Did this lessen my experience? No.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

steinrokkan posted:

I still got the joke, just not the specific reference (because, again, this sort of mumbly interrogation footage is pretty drat common). Did this lessen my experience? No.

Bully for you, just saying it did lessen it for me and other people. I'm not sure why you can't understand it's an extremely specific reference. You didn't get the joke and can't see that you didn't. The reference is the joke. Just because you still found some enjoyment out of it doesn't mean you got the full jist of it.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I found the description of Mac's version of MST3K hilarious, especially the thought of him repeatedly pausing the movie to try and come up with a riff.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ChesterJT posted:

Bully for you, just saying it did lessen it for me and other people. I'm not sure why you can't understand it's an extremely specific reference. You didn't get the joke and can't see that you didn't. The reference is the joke. Just because you still found some enjoyment out of it doesn't mean you got the full jist of it.

I also haven't seen any of the crime documentaries they are "referencing" but I've seen enough True Crime documentaries that the jokes landed for me. They were making fun of the format in general as they were specific instances of it. Which was good, because that means there were jokes in it beyond, "This is a reference for something you have seen."

I will agree it wasn't the funniest episode they've ever done. However, I really like the weird experimental direction they are going this season. The show has been on the air long enough that I imagine the leads are pretty drained/bored. I'll take weird ideas and directions even if they don't land over absolutely phoning it in giving retreads of older, better episodes.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I used to not be too big of a fan of the rear end Blasters Incorporated episode but I've come to learn the way of the master and it's one of my favorites now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Woowwwwww I really forgot how much they went on about saving the children in the Bruce Mathis episode:stare:

down to him and sweet dee singing children are the future

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah I know this.

You made a snarky joke post, and I did the same in response. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bring back old gbs posted:

Woowwwwww I really forgot how much they went on about saving the children in the Bruce Mathis episode:stare:

down to him and sweet dee singing children are the future

"Maybe Bruce is bangin' dudes!"
"So what?"
"...maybe the dudes are babies! :stare:"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"Maybe Bruce is bangin' dudes!"
"So what?"
"...maybe the dudes are babies! :stare:"

I just watched this episode with my gf last night and she laughed her rear end off when I told her Bruce actually was banging baby dudes IRL

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
children were very much a part of his future

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

I want this is as my avatar. Could anyone make it smaller?

I loved this episode. some jokes got me to laugh out loud This is one is one of my favourites now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Genuinely pretty bummed I had the Ketamine joke spoiled for me by this thread, but the Frank/Cabbie bit was so funny I'm over it.

I also feel like that for an episode explicitly about Dennis's weird proclivities, we could have probably gone a little darker, but I guess the crow's thing is pretty good. The 2 hours of uninterrupted staring is funny, but it also is kinda cool because if you transplanted that same bit into a real serial-killer movie, it would definitely be effective and creepy.

This is me spergin' pretty hard, but is snapping the crow necks before or after getting raped by the librarian? I'm trying to build a chicken-or-the-egg file for this kinda stuff.

Also, Frank's line about being a deadbeat dad who was never around, and therefore definitely off the hook for any of the hosed up stuff Dennis and Dee have done, was pretty masterful. I know DeVito is a master level talent, but the frenetic off the cuff delivery of his lines in this episode is just beat-for-beat hilarity

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bust Rodd posted:

Genuinely pretty bummed I had the Ketamine joke spoiled for me by this thread, but the Frank/Cabbie bit was so funny I'm over it.

Then don't read the thread until you're done watching the episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

Then don't read the thread until you're done watching the episode.

I mean, realistically, this isn't really a show where spoilers have ever mattered, and I can't really think of any jokes having been spoiled for me in the 10+ years I've been reading about it online. Reading "BUT I CUT THE BRAKES!" doesn't take away from that scene pretty much at all. But 'It's Always Sunny' doesn't usually do 'slow burns' either, their gags are usually very blunt, physical comedy and the like, where the laugh is immediate and the Ketamine gag was certainly a rarer display of 'setup-10 minutes-payoff' that isn't what I've come to expect from Sunny.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Eh, sometimes the title drops work a lot better if you don't know what's coming, so I prefer not to see them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like how they gave that nod to Mike Myer's playing multiple characters in the same movie by having Mac not even able to understand it being possible.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
What is he, a wizard?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My favorite part of this show is that in each episode, they have a "smart character" which is a different member of the gang every time. Everyone else plays an idiot.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I like how they gave that nod to Mike Myer's playing multiple characters in the same movie by having Mac not even able to understand it being possible.

Since Mac literally does this (Riggs and Murtaugh) in Lethal Weapon 5, it really cracked me up.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is it wrong that I'm slightly more excited for the new The Mick than the new Sunny

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it wrong that I'm slightly more excited for the new The Mick than the new Sunny

Yes.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

Not really. Full episode pop culture parodies aren't really Sunny, or at least, aren't really good Sunny. It hasn't been outright bad, but so far the season's been disappointing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

People here might already know this but I just noticed: the Mick is created and written by a couple of guys who wrote/produced for Always Sunny. I knew it had Kaitlin Olson but I didn't know it was also created by Sunny guys

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Fast Luck posted:

People here might already know this but I just noticed: the Mick is created and written by a couple of guys who wrote/produced for Always Sunny. I knew it had Kaitlin Olson but I didn't know it was also created by Sunny guys

Kaitlin Olson was wearing Mac's "Riot" T-shirt on the Mick tonight.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 8, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Mick is legit good. That little kid actor kills it every time he speaks.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

this episode rules

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
omfg THE BIKE

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol:

Might be my favorite episode this season

So you can now say gently caress, oval office, cocksucker without bleeps

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This was a good episode

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

"In the closet, out of the closet, it doesn't matter we don't like you either way"

Fuckin lol

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It was a good bike.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Also the precredits part where it actually happened felt really strange to me for some reason. I thought it was some dream/alternate reality thing where they don't know who each other are as I watched it. They shoulda reservoir dogs'ed it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Episodes where the gang pieces things together like "Who Got Dee Pregnant" are always great, and this one was no exception. I laughed for almost a minute at "if it smells like poo poo, you must acquit."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

:lol:

Might be my favorite episode this season

So you can now say gently caress, oval office, cocksucker without bleeps
I wanna say that they're limited to the amount of super-hard swears a season, since Bojack Horseman was allowed a single "gently caress" in the latest one. But it probably varies.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

Episodes where the gang pieces things together like "Who Got Dee Pregnant" are always great, and this one was no exception.

My thoughts exactly. This episode was very reminiscent of Who Got Dee Pregnant, and that's one of my Top 3 favorite episodes of Sunny.

I don't know if it was just me, but this episode honestly made me pop my eyes out and cover my mouth with my hands a couple times.

I obviously don't give a gently caress about language personally, but goddamn did they really push the boundaries when it comes to what you can say on cable nowadays. I was shocked and very amused by the dialogue in this episode. It was a similar reaction as when I saw that one South Park episode where they say "poo poo" about 200 times.

Personally I liked the "Mac's gay" assertions when they were more subtle and implied, but at the same time it was cool to see the gang, a very hateful and xenophobic group, look so pleased with Mac finally maybe coming out of the closet for real. I'm sure it won't stick but it was still nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When I watched the preview last week, I knew the bike would have a dildo in it. I didn't expect that though. I'm guessing they can't show an actual dildo, so they had to glue a doll fist to the end to keep it from being blurred.

I didn't have high hopes at first when they brought up that the arbitration was about the scratcher. I figured the joke would be that after all that, the ticket would be worthless. They handled it perfectly though.

Edit: OH poo poo, the beginning of the episode has Mac complaining that his glutes are sore from his exercise bike.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 9, 2017

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The main reason I'm sad to see Maureen Bastet go is because she has a bizarre power over Dennis. Maybe it was entirely the alimony, but you get the feeling from this episode that she may have D.E.N.N.I.S.'d him.

M. Marry your high school sweetheart.
A. Act like Marky Mark in "Fear"
U. Utilize The Lawyer
R. Requisition Alimony
E. Enhance Self Physically
E. Establish Cathood
N. Nipple Accumulation

A few pages back, but this was great.

I was disappointed that Cricket didn't show up as a character witness, but I'm glad he gets his own episode later in the season.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
This was a godamn wonderful episode and just the opening scene alone made it impossible to speak because I was too busy laughing.