Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I felt like poo poo on the ice today. It took me like 15 minutes to feel comfortable out there, I was just sluggish overall and got tired faster than usual. I'm getting a lot better at stopping quickly, but crossovers are still giving me a ton of trouble. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Eat a cheeseburger 6-8 hours before your game. Works every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

prom candy posted:

Eat a cheeseburger 6-8 hours before your game. Works every time.

That would involve waking up between 4 and 6 AM to eat a cheeseburger.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then wheel into McDonald's and get an egg mcmuffin plus hashbrowns, same effect.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

xzzy posted:

Jofa. Wait, that doesn't work anymore. poo poo. Um, reebok.. um, poo poo.

Nevermind, I got nothing.

I guess the best bet for artisanal elbow pads would be tackla? :iiam:

I'm just really grumpy about the CCM and Bauer stuff I bought last spring, it's uncomfortable cheap garbage that is already falling apart. But the eagle gloves I got are loving awesome.

Funny Jofa is part of that Reebok/CCM tree along with Koho and Titan. I think all the equipment I own is either CCM or Bauer and have no real complaints except for the CCM skates I bought a year and a half ago or so and switched back to Bauer. It's not something I've done on purpose just how my equipment inventory has turned out. What stuff of yours is falling apart? Bottom tier stuff or more expensive stuff? Just want an idea of what to steer clear of.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That would involve waking up between 4 and 6 AM to eat a cheeseburger.

My recommendation stands.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just bought a pair of Bauer gloves and a bunch of the stitches weren't finished properly (long threads sticking out everywhere) and one or two had already popped out.

Bought some CCM elbow pads a couple months ago and the elbow crease strap was straight up sewed on in the wrong place.

Overall, buying gear really loving sucks because online places have great selection but you can't tell fit or build quality, and LHS has the ability to try stuff on but stock varies between "A couple of things in one or two sizes" and "One pair of 2011 Warrior Elbow Pads that are still priced at $90"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last Bauer gloves I bought had holes in the palms in four months. :fuckoff:

They weren't the cheapest ones either, they were mid-tier $100 ones.

My CCM shins showed wear in the liner after two skates, they must use tissue paper for padding. Also they're super uncomfortable.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

titanium posted:

I've had this guy build me a cage before and intend on having another one done. Great dude and knows a ton about materials, it just doesnt come cheap.

http://www.olympia-composites.com/category-s/114.htm

:aaaaa: this is amazing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

During today's lesson, the one line from the coach that really stuck with me was "don't be afraid to lean." I'm starting to get a feel for where my edges are and how much pressure I can safely put on them. Leaning into my turns is helping me take them sharper and faster, and it also makes crossovers a bit easier to do.

Today was the first time I tried skating backwards and I am very, very bad at it so far.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most beer leaguers are.

Just sick with it. Having a coach is going to help you 100x more than doing it yourself. Hockey is mostly skating. By skating as often as you are along with a coach, you should be better than most beginner to mid level skaters fairly quick. Stick handling will soon follow but being a good skater will get you far on its own.

Skating backwards is all about being sexy. The more you shake your rear end the faster you go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'll know you have learned how to skate when you're flying backwards down the rink and suddenly all the secrets of hockey are revealed and you can post with authority in the N/V thread about The Way Things Are and Should Be.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

what small named company makes the best shin guard and elbow pads and helmets (serious question)

One of the top Goalie Mask makers (not NHL, doesn't pay for the license) lives on Torrance Blvd and I bet you know him.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

My instructional league has been a blast so far. 90 minutes of ice time every Monday night, and the first 3 weeks have been almost entirely skating drills. There's usually 4-5 coaches for the ~35 people, 2 running the drill and 3 spot helping. We finally got to touch pucks in the last 30 minutes of week 3. This sport is absolutely brutal, and I love it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xsf421 posted:

My instructional league has been a blast so far. 90 minutes of ice time every Monday night, and the first 3 weeks have been almost entirely skating drills. There's usually 4-5 coaches for the ~35 people, 2 running the drill and 3 spot helping. We finally got to touch pucks in the last 30 minutes of week 3. This sport is absolutely brutal, and I love it.

That is because hockey is fantastic and fun.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

xzzy posted:

The last Bauer gloves I bought had holes in the palms in four months. :fuckoff:

They weren't the cheapest ones either, they were mid-tier $100 ones.

My CCM shins showed wear in the liner after two skates, they must use tissue paper for padding. Also they're super uncomfortable.

That is a bummer. Most of my gear is actually fairly new, but it is because I was replacing poo poo that I had been wearing since high school (I'm 33 now). I got 10+ years, give or take, out of my pants, shins, elbow pads, and helmet. My elbow pads are probably the oldest thing I have at around 10 years or so old or whenever the CCM Vector line of equipment was the line they were pushing. I've got Bauer Supreme One shin guards and girdle/shell, the shin pads are probably 5 years old and the girdle/shell about 3 and there are almost no signs of wear and tear on those at all.

Gloves are a tough one. I just got new gloves this year after probably 5 or 6 years with the same ones. My old ones were so sweet. CCM leather Tacks 652s that I got barely used from a sports shop for something crazy like $40. I just couldn't take the holes in the palms anymore. They probably only lasted a year, or less I don't really remember but surely more than 4 months, before getting holes in the palm but held up great besides that.

Sounds like you might have just run into some bad luck with equipment, or I've just been incredibly lucky.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Today was the first time I tried skating backwards and I am very, very bad at it so far.

Easily 65-70% of my team can't back and they've all been playing way, way longer than me. I actually really really like skating backwards and still remember they day when backwards crossovers finally clicked and made sense in my dumb head.
(it was only 2 years ago lol)

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Played in (and won) an outdoor tourney at Mt Shasta (on the California/Oregon border).

Teams were decided by literally putting sticks in piles. 8 person teams, 4-on-4, 28 minutes games, penalties were given as penalty shots at the end of regulation.

Play hockey outdoors, kids.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I just finished playing in a short 3v3 league on a small outdoor rink (we ended up 3rd of 8 teams). Super fun, I think going to one of those big pond tourneys is on my bucket list now.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Love when the instructor basically says, we're gonna do real basic stuff tonight, nice and easy, because invariably it means realizing again how bad I am at the simplest stuff.

On a related note, My hips are so tight. I can't open them worth poo poo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mr. unhsib posted:

I would, but it's been in the 40's and 50's Fahrenheit in Chicago for the past 2 months :argh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

z0331 posted:

On a related note, My hips are so tight. I can't open them worth poo poo.

This is probably the best part of going to the gym regularly for me. My stride has lengthened nicely due to increasing flexibility and loosening up everything.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

mr. unhsib posted:

Played in (and won) an outdoor tourney at Mt Shasta (on the California/Oregon border).

Teams were decided by literally putting sticks in piles. 8 person teams, 4-on-4, 28 minutes games, penalties were given as penalty shots at the end of regulation.

whoa whoa whoa I'm from down there(-ish) originally and had no idea there was a rink in Shasta! Then again, I haven't been there in a good couple years, either.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

sellouts posted:

This is probably the best part of going to the gym regularly for me. My stride has lengthened nicely due to increasing flexibility and loosening up everything.

My hips are a giant mess due to years of powerlifting and it's only been the past year that I've been fixing things but I guess I haven't worked the hip opening thing enough. Off the ice I can force myself into a full mohawk, but while moving on skates I'm lucky if I can go past 100 degrees.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Powerlifting while playing hockey owns. Strong legs own.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I decided to go snowboarding on Monday. It was a powder day which is like 10x harder on your legs. I also fell pretty hard a few times and had to swim out of waist deep snow a few times. I was sore Tuesday. My legs literally hurt to the touch today.

I had a game tonight, I took extra time warming up as i was sore as all hell and my flexibility was poo poo.

I scored the first goal and assisted an empty net goal by backhand floating it out of our zone to the stick of my center at the blue line.

Great game.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Powerlifting while playing hockey owns. Strong legs own.

It is until you don't do any mobility work at all at the same time and one day you squat down to get something out of the fridge and your back locks up like you're 80.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duke Chin posted:

Easily 65-70% of my team can't back and they've all been playing way, way longer than me. I actually really really like skating backwards and still remember they day when backwards crossovers finally clicked and made sense in my dumb head.
(it was only 2 years ago lol)

Skating backwards is super fun, I love transitioning to backwards to open up for a pass and then turning around and going, makes me feel like a real hockey player even if I am doing it at 10% speed. I still can't get myself to use backwards crossovers in a game situation.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Speaking of powerlifting and hockey, I'm fairly good at backward skating and I think a lot of it comes from deadlifting - the habit of sticking my rear end way back and leading with it is pretty ingrained.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah it helps. Anything that gets you to squat down properly will help

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

z0331 posted:

Speaking of powerlifting and hockey, I'm fairly good at backward skating and I think a lot of it comes from deadlifting - the habit of sticking my rear end way back and leading with it is pretty ingrained.

The best is doing squats the same day as game day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best is 40 minutes of backwards russian circles then playing a game 6 hours later.

"excuse me, quads? we got some work to do, quit bitching"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The best is doing squats the same day as game day.

Played with a guy that did that. Squats early morning pre-game, then skate like lightning every shift. Not sure how he managed, but drat he was fast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your body will eventually condition to whatever you ask it to do. Routine works!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Old dude at the skate shop yelled at me for asking for a 7/16 cut.

DIG THE WHEEL OUT OF THE loving BOX OLD MAN. Yes it makes a difference!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I need 7/16 and can't stand 1/2.

My buddy just got one of those Sparx sharpeners and it works great. Going to buy a 7/16 wheel for him and get me some cheap sharpenings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have the opposite problem, 7/16 is what is always on the wheel which means they never dress the wheel prior to sharpening so I'm never quite sure if I actually am getting 7/16 or if the radius has slowly flattened out as the day goes on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

a mysterious cloak posted:

Played with a guy that did that. Squats early morning pre-game, then skate like lightning every shift. Not sure how he managed, but drat he was fast.

a lot of it probably has to do with him being loosened up from the pre workout and the squats and the post workout stretch if he's doing it.

when i go to gym before skates i do feel better. I burn myself out on monday and friday, and wednesdays (game day) are a lot lighter and it works for me.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I had a pretty big breakthrough today with crossovers to my right, which were extremely weak. I wasn't putting enough weight on my inside foot while crossing over, and once I started leaning in and applying more weight to my right foot, I instantly got better at them. During class today, we mostly worked on shooting. My wrist shot is getting noticeably better, but my slapshot is awful and I feel like it takes me 10 seconds just to get the puck in the right spot to attempt a slapshot.

The sheer number of skills involved in playing hockey is overwhelming, especially when I'm bad at all of them and I really want to get better faster. :psyduck:

Regarding sharpening, I've only had my skates sharpened at 1/2" so far, but I kind of want to try 3/8" the next time just to see how much more bite they give me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now wait until you have to do all that while some rear end in a top hat is trying to take the puck off your stick and everyone on your bench is hollering SHOOOOOOOT and drat you'd sure love to but it's nothing but sticks and feet between the puck and the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I had a pretty big breakthrough today with crossovers to my right, which were extremely weak. I wasn't putting enough weight on my inside foot while crossing over, and once I started leaning in and applying more weight to my right foot, I instantly got better at them. During class today, we mostly worked on shooting. My wrist shot is getting noticeably better, but my slapshot is awful and I feel like it takes me 10 seconds just to get the puck in the right spot to attempt a slapshot.

i have been playing for like 20 years and on saturday i am finally getting someone to show me how to take a slapshot

do not sharpen your skates to 3/8" imo