Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flosofl posted:

Hahaha. Miller moving the bottle away. "I offered a snort, not many snorts"

E: Wait, are we on different airing schedules or are we not posting during airing? This thread seems quieter than I expected.

You need to give people time to tally up all the depiction of gravity in space mistakes. If we're lucky, there will be at least 2. That'll fuel heavy discussion for the next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nihonniboku posted:

You need to give people time to tally up all the depiction of gravity in space mistakes. If we're lucky, there will be at least 2. That'll fuel heavy discussion for the next week.

If we’re lucky there will be none, so we can debate if the 6′ Samoan boxer is really the best the casting department could find.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

If we’re lucky there will be none, so we can debate if the 6′ Samoan boxer is really the best the casting department could find.
They should've cast Hafthor Bjornsson.

He'd have to wear a wig, obviously.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
3 episodes into season 2, and we're still not done with book 1, but it looks like we're going to reach it next week or the week after. And with Bobby on her way to Ganymede, things are starting to fall into place for book 2.

Book spoilers about Eros: For a second there I thought the ring station was going to launch directly from Eros when the station was talking about building something, but it looks like we're still on track for a launch from Venus.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also in episode 1/2 they say that Phoebe was completely destroyed? How powerful are those nukes to destroy a moon and not only that, to deorbit it (they say the fragments spiraled into Saturn I think)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
phoebe isn't very large as moons go. and probably much of it is made of ice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, it's diameter is roughly 125 miles so I don't think it would take much force to chunk it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Book 2/Season 2 question (and possible new character spoiler)...

I'm not done book 2 (I'm about half way?) but I really like Prax. Seems like in the show we're headed to Ganymede, has Prax been cut?

EDIT: Reddit answered my question. yes!.

Reading the books along with the show, I must say the show is the superior experience. The books tend to meander now and again, and the show does a much better job of giving the characters...character.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 9, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Snuffman posted:

Book 2/Season 2 question (and possible new character spoiler)...

I'm not done book 2 (I'm about half way?) but I really like Prax. Seems like in the show we're headed to Ganymede, has Prax been cut?

EDIT: Reddit answered my question. yes!.

Reading the books along with the show, I must say the show is the superior experience. The books tend to meander now and again, and the show does a much better job of giving the characters...character.

Pretty sure he was in one of the trailers for this season asking if their plans were always this vague or whatever. Who says he's cut?

Edit: Matter of fact he's in this one twice and trailer number 3 once on the ground in what looks like Ganymede during the starvation

https://youtu.be/x3v9gUNAZGg

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 9, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WencheBandida/status/828667199829086208

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Terry Chen is sooo not how I pictured Prax, wow.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Terry Chen is sooo not how I pictured Prax, wow.

Me either but I'm okay with it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Me either but I'm okay with it.

Same

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When Fred Johnson put his tablet thing down and it turned clear and you could see it was scratched and gouged from wear I began to question whether this is the famous attention to detail the show is known for or am I going insane imagining things? I'm probably nuts.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

fyodor posted:

When Fred Johnson put his tablet thing down and it turned clear and you could see it was scratched and gouged from wear I began to question whether this is the famous attention to detail the show is known for or am I going insane imagining things? I'm probably nuts.

Nah man I noticed it too, but it's been like that since the beginning. Stuff like Miller's handheld having that crack down it because he's too cheap to replace it.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've just started reading Calibans's War. Does anyone know if Season 2 is sticking mostly to book one or should i finish up reading the series before i start watching?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I think it's supposed to finish up book 1 in the 5th episode. But that's just internet guesses and rumors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fyodor posted:

The tablet is Fred Johnson’s twenty‐year‐old Ford ranger that he still drives despite being the CEO of a company bigger than Ford.

e: Look at this total lack of perceptible Coriolis effects. You know he’s got prime real estate.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GranularDetailedHammerheadshark.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 9, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There needs to be a scene with a belter pouring something into a glass expecting the coriolis effect only to spill the drink all over themselves. Or an Earther/Martian who doesn't expect it. :colbert:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There needs to be a scene with a belter pouring something into a glass expecting the coriolis effect only to spill the drink all over themselves. Or an Earther/Martian who doesn't expect it. :colbert:

The latter would be much more likely since a belter who was familiar with it would know it only happens in certain lovely areas.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pharmaskittle posted:

The latter would be much more likely since a belter who was familiar with it would know it only happens in certain lovely areas.

Yeah I was thinking more a Belter that's been in poverty all their life and never left a lovely area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It occurred to me that Miller’s shaving habits mark him as a station‐dwelling belter.

Only a man with a death wish would use a cutthroat razor aboard a ship.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 9, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
by the end of his run I hope Miller just has a tiny cartoonish squiggle of hair sprouting from the top of his head.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah I was thinking more a Belter that's been in poverty all their life and never left a lovely area.

Where are the lovely jobs?

At the docks, where Coriolis effects are minimal.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

This bit of dialogue was a nice touch:

Scientist: They burned their temporal lobes making them unable to feel empathy.

Amos: Is it reversible?

Scientist: No.

Amos: :smith:

Poor Amos, he so wants to be a real boy. :allears:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I liked the misdirect with Miller checking out the Mormon ship, but thinking about how he could use it and not going on the grand journey. Expected it having read the books, but still kind of had me going thinking he could try to join them then be pulled out of it.

AlternateAccount posted:

Need a better thread title anyway. Suggestions go.

The Expanse, Season 2: The Coriolis effect and its effects.

or

The Expanse, Season 2: I dunno, something about Coriolis effects.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Spermanent Record posted:

I've just started reading Calibans's War. Does anyone know if Season 2 is sticking mostly to book one or should i finish up reading the series before i start watching?

There isn't much material left in book 1 for them to cover, maybe 1 or 2 episodes max. But then I think there is a good chance that they could finish book 2 this season, since they've been laying a lot of the groundwork for book 2 even if they haven't started covering the book itself yet. And since this season is 13 episodes instead of 10 like last season.

Book 2 ending spoilers: I can't really think of anything else from book 2 that could end the season any better than the launch of the Ring Gate. Maybe the battle between Mars and Earth forces? I guess the escape from Ganymede if they really want to draw out the events down there?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

I'm kind of at a loss as to how they could wrap up the season halfway thorough the second book as well.

I think they mentioned in the panel they did at Caltech that they were not going to get through all of book 2 by they end of the season, but they were pretty vague about it and took pains to point out that things will be re-arranged much as they were in season 1. So we could end up with elements of book 3 by the end of this season.

One thing I really like about this season so far, is that the writing and visual storytelling is so much more tight and economical than it was in season 1. It's very possible that they story will move forward at a greater pace from here on.

At least, I hope they keep up the pace. As much as I liked season 1, I think the world-building made it a little sluggish and there wasn't quite as much character development as there could have been.

E: That Caltech panel is pretty good watching for the science nerds out there, if it hasn't been posted already.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 9, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Svaha posted:

This bit of dialogue was a nice touch:

Scientist: They burned their temporal lobes making them unable to feel empathy.

Amos: Is it reversible?

Scientist: No.

Amos: :smith:

Poor Amos, he so wants to be a real boy. :allears:

Yeah, I feel this was Amos's episode. There was so much revealed about him as a character and props to Wes Chatham for pulling it off.

Amos shows a depth and insight that until now hasn't been obvious. The conversation with Miller in the bar was spot on. Right or wrong, Miller seems bound and determined to destroy himself in his quest for redemption and doesn't seem terribly concerned with the collateral damage. Beyond his captain wanting him gone for moral reasons, I think Amos recognizes Miller as the threat to the crew that he is.

But where I think both the writers and Chatham knocked it out of the park, was how they *showed* how self-aware Amos is of himself. He *knows* he's missing some fundamental connection with other people. You see that in how he understands the scientist and gets him to open up. And when he oh-so-casually asks if there's anyway to "fix" the prisoners psychopathy... he KNOWS he's broken somehow. And desperately wants to be normal. There was no exposition or soliloquies to call it out. We're shown this over the course of the episode through his actions and dialog beats.

In S1 we saw him defer all moral decisions to Naomi, but that relationship was damaged somewhat when he found out she had been keeping the truth about the distress log on the Cant from him. It's a subtle beat, but I think he's withdrawn a little from her. He seemed to be deferring more to Holden in S2, and by this episode he is solidly in Team Holden. He still cares for Naomi (as much as he's capable), but she's no longer his moral compass. Holden's righteousness and absolute moral certainty are what Amos needs to help him navigate the world. At this point I feel that Amos will follow Holden to hell if asked.

Amos was my favorite character in the books, and I'll admit I was extremely dubious that Chatham could pull it off. But drat if after this episode, Chatham *is* the definitive Amos for me. Chatham *gets* Amos and understands what he's all about, and has the skill to show that.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 9, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Svaha posted:

One thing I really like about this season so far, is that the writing and visual storytelling is so much more tight and economical than it was in season 1. It's very possible that they story will move forward at a greater pace from here on.

Well yeah, they're not going to get nine seasons. They'll be lucky if they get more than four, that's just how TV works nowadays.

This show's success is basically contingent on successful Netflix numbers and the show having a champion among the producers at Syfy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well yeah, they're not going to get nine seasons. They'll be lucky if they get more than four, that's just how TV works nowadays.

This show's success is basically contingent on successful Netflix numbers and the show having a champion among the producers at Syfy.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Personally, I want less Game of Throne and more Spartacus in my TV-schedule.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hmm, I haven't been able to even find season one on Netflix, maybe I just missed it when it was available or searched before it was? Gonna have to check again.

I agree that the end of book 2 makes for a good end of the season, but I can't imagine they'll get far enough to make that happen. If they can pull it off without skipping too much stuff I'm all for it though, maybe the 13 episode order let them just barely make it there in a sensible way, since I have to figure that's the best place to leave off and keep interest up in the show, leave people wondering what will come next, etc.

Also, the more I think about it the more it bugs me that Miller shot Dresden so early. Like, he could see the writing on the wall that Johnson would be willing to cut a deal with him, maybe even let him continue his work, but Johnson was also making it clear he'd have to be told by Dresden who all the players are, and if Miller wants revenge he ought to wait until Dresden says at least that much, or get him to cough that info up right away and then shoot him.

In this episode he's like "Naw man I just cut off one head of the snake" and I'm thinking dude, you could have found out all the heads and been right on track to go get 'em!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Personally, I want less Game of Throne and more Spartacus in my TV-schedule.

I'd like the show to get an actual ending, is what I'm saying. So, yes, speeding up the plot is pretty important if they want to do be able to do that. They can't get away with plus one season per book.

NowonSA posted:

Hmm, I haven't been able to even find season one on Netflix, maybe I just missed it when it was available or searched before it was? Gonna have to check again.

Amazon in the states.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah. Say whatever you like about Spartacus, but you can't deny that show was tight as gently caress.

Much like it's leads, there was absolutely no fat anywhere to be seen. :v:

More stuff happened in a single episode of that show than happens in entire seasons elsewhere, but it managed to never really feel rushed. That's the sort of focus that is rare in TV in general.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Good Place is the only other recent show that comes to mind for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

The Good Place is the only other recent show that comes to mind for me.

Which is pretty amazing, given that whole murder Janet episode was added when they realised their scheduling was off (they found out that they had to get nine episodes in before the Christmas break instead of eight). The episode was basically them panicking and trying to find a way to spool out their story arc for an extra episode, and they did a really good job.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

flosofl posted:

Amos was my favorite character in the books, and I'll admit I was extremely dubious that Chatham could pull it off. But drat if after this episode, Chatham *is* the definitive Amos for me. Chatham *gets* Amos and understands what he's all about, and has the skill to show that.
I feel the same way about most of the cast, but yeah, Chatham really nails it above and beyond.

The only one I kind of don't feel it with sometimes is Steven Strait as Holden, which is pretty unfortunate seeing as he's the lead. He doesn't portray the charisma of the book character very well and it comes off as a little too much like John Snow in space for my liking. Breath through your nose and crack a joke once in while Holden!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Amazon in the states.

Ah, that explains it.

Svaha posted:

I feel the same way about most of the cast, but yeah, Chatham really nails it above and beyond.

The only one I kind of don't feel it with sometimes is Steven Strait as Holden, which is pretty unfortunate seeing as he's the lead. He doesn't portray the charisma of the book character very well and it comes off as a little too much like John Snow in space for my liking. Breath through your nose and crack a joke once in while Holden!

I like Strait as Holden, everyone has their own tastes though. I do agree that Amos is the standout, but Jane is holding his own as Miller too, Avasarala is played really well, I mean I just kind of like it all!

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Ah, that explains it.

I like Strait as Holden, everyone has their own tastes though. I do agree that Amos is the standout, but Jane is holding his own as Miller too, Avasarala is played really well, I mean I just kind of like it all!
You're probably right that it just comes down to taste.

I don't hate the character. I wouldn't say that Strait is doing a terrible job or anything. I actually appreciate that he's a pretty atypical type of lead for this kind of genre show. The easy way would have been to have the lead be some sort of chiseled chin Kirk-Like Alpha male, (or in more recent examples, butt kicking alpha female supermodel assassin,) archetype that leads every other sci-fi show that has a captain on a spaceship. This show seems to actively avoid taking the easy route in just about every aspect though, so good on 'em for breaking the mold.

And yet, when you line up all the show characters with the book characters, Holden always seems like the weakest link to me. I keep thinking that maybe this is intentional and that show Holden just has a really long character arc that we are still only at the very beginning of. That's a bit of a weird thought, considering we are 13 episodes in, but I'm still willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt. We are already seeing some really great character progression among the other characters, so here's hopin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Also, the more I think about it the more it bugs me that Miller shot Dresden so early. Like, he could see the writing on the wall that Johnson would be willing to cut a deal with him, maybe even let him continue his work, but Johnson was also making it clear he'd have to be told by Dresden who all the players are, and if Miller wants revenge he ought to wait until Dresden says at least that much, or get him to cough that info up right away and then shoot him.

In this episode he's like "Naw man I just cut off one head of the snake" and I'm thinking dude, you could have found out all the heads and been right on track to go get 'em!

I think us as the viewers are a lot more trusting of Fred Johnson than your average belter though. We've seen his back story, but to most people he's the guy who defected from Earth after slaughtering a station full of innocent belters. I think Miller see's that Dresden's basically just convinced Johnson to let him live and to keep the program running and just acts. Yah it's not the smartest move, they could've learned who's actually running the project, but Miller's not about to trust "The Butcher of Anderson Station" with a program / weapon that's already killed a few thousand on Eros.

That and like someone said, Miller's pretty much just out for some self destructive revenge.

• Locked thread