Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

It's hard to tell since Bronze Colossi can't read and I haven't rolled any other race as an adventurer in that world yet. I'm still tweaking the race. In the first iteration I forgot to adjust for population, and ended up with a full size BC civ. With several thousand of the big guys running around other populations were...scarce. Second time around I got their population down to 182 which is manageable. There are some other funny quirks I'm noticing too. Apparently BC don't aggro undead, because I walked into a necro tower and nothing happened.

I once modded the raws to allow Dragons as adventurers. It was cool for the few minutes it took me to realize that, despite all my efforts, I couldn't get graspers on the dragons... which meant not only no hoarding, but no butchering corpses, which meant no eating. I managed to starve a megabeast dragon to death by just walking across a field too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

It's hard to tell since Bronze Colossi can't read and I haven't rolled any other race as an adventurer in that world yet. I'm still tweaking the race. In the first iteration I forgot to adjust for population, and ended up with a full size BC civ. With several thousand of the big guys running around other populations were...scarce. Second time around I got their population down to 182 which is manageable. There are some other funny quirks I'm noticing too. Apparently BC don't aggro undead, because I walked into a necro tower and nothing happened.

Bronze 182.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Lmao at a BC civ

Also that's scary

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

Lmao at a BC civ

Also that's scary

A giant civ that lives in a relatively constrained area would be cool, because then the other civs are basically playing at hiding from the giants, which is a classic fantasy story. That would make a nice setting for an LP.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TildeATH posted:

A giant civ that lives in a relatively constrained area would be cool, because then the other civs are basically playing at hiding from the giants, which is a classic fantasy story. That would make a nice setting for an LP.

Urist Stankbait cancels fishing: bronze colossus

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Urist Stankbait cancels fishing: bronze colossus

Giant Snatchers would steal dwarven children to put in their terrarium.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Imagine a BC baseball team with Dwarf balls. Urist cancels flee: flying.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

02/07/2017 Toady One The adventure mode cleaning continues. The logs will be a bit dull while I test and correct, unless something amusing happens. The guards have moved on from interrogating me over delivered artifacts to instead interrogating their own master. I returned an artifact, and the lord took the figurine over to an empty pedestal in the hall and stood there making cheerful remarks. A guard, confused again, ran over and demanded the location of the figurine. The lord was like, "Over my dead body!" They would have started fighting if I didn't break out to debug. I think in this case the guard didn't understand furniture, and also didn't think about their loyalties in the context of item encounters, and so flipped out when the item became "invisible". I'll keep smoothing it out! I've also cleaned up some other random issues.

Object permanence is hard to code.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I love that crazy guy

And toady

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Hopefully there's wiggle room for guards to question their masters.

:black101:"Put that back. It belongs to the people!"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Today I learned that necromancers can write about what they learned from slabs in books.

I don't think it makes you immortal, but it does give you the power to animate corpses. Cursecheck does show you as cursed so the night creature flag is probably ticked.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Today I learned that necromancers can write about what they learned from slabs in books.

I don't think it makes you immortal, but it does give you the power to animate corpses. Cursecheck does show you as cursed so the night creature flag is probably ticked.
Go find a stream and sit on the bottom and see if you start drowning.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zereth posted:

Go find a stream and sit on the bottom and see if you start drowning.

Necromancers still have to breathe. Vampires don't.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It occurs to me I never actually became a necromancer without having first become a vampire.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Zereth posted:

It occurs to me I never actually became a necromancer without having first become a vampire.

Next step is to be a necromancer-vampire-lich

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Try sprinting and see if you get tired.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Is is possible to reanimate your own corpse in the moment of your death?

Would be pretty cool.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I made a library and now it's the only place anyone wants to go to eat or just dick around and the dining hall now sits derelict almost 100% of the time.

Probably because of the gold furniture?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I haven't seen food related favoritism for the library, but I know once I get one up they love hanging out there.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

I made a library and now it's the only place anyone wants to go to eat or just dick around and the dining hall now sits derelict almost 100% of the time.

Probably because of the gold furniture?

For some reason they seem to favor the new locations (library/temple/tavern) waaaay more than the dining hall. Make a tavern, at least more of the dicking around will happen there (if you care to keep your library clear of it that is).

But yeah my dining hall sits fairly empty, too. Maybe it is related to the relative values of the rooms I guess, not sure, but it can't be the only factor because I have 2 temples that are fairly split between dwarfs hanging out and one has 6 platinum statues and the other only has 1 and is a smaller area.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I actually started removing dining halls once the tavern is up and running. Watching one dwarf eat plump helmet roast alone in the cafeteria while everyone else parties was depressing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

abrosheen posted:

I actually started removing dining halls once the tavern is up and running. Watching one dwarf eat plump helmet roast alone in the cafeteria while everyone else parties was depressing.

lol

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

abrosheen posted:

don't punish the introvert :(

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm that dwarf

Nothing will stop me from my plump helmet roast

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Just make your dining hall also be your tavern, from the beginning. They'll pretty much always choose to eat and party there.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Do dwarves eat in the tavern too?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jazerus posted:

Just make your dining hall also be your tavern, from the beginning. They'll pretty much always choose to eat and party there.

this. It had never occured to me to make my dining hall anywhere else once taverns were a thing :confused:

e:

Selklubber posted:

Do dwarves eat in the tavern too?

the locations can overlap, so it's a moot point

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dwarves will eat loving anywhere.

I had a tavern before I had a library and the tavern does still get used but there are always twice as many dwarves in the library. Despite the fact the tavern is like 4 steps from the food stores and the library is like 8 floors plus 20 steps away.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Overlapping the tavern and dining hall is a good idea, I didn't think of that.

I just had 5 of my citizens (probably all visitors I allowed to become citizens) inherit baronies at the exact same time, but now they all live in my fort, demand fancy quarters, and make mandates. 6 barons/baronesses total. Are they eventually going to bail?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

abrosheen posted:

I just had 5 of my citizens (probably all visitors I allowed to become citizens) inherit baronies at the exact same time, but now they all live in my fort, demand fancy quarters, and make mandates. 6 barons/baronesses total. Are they eventually going to bail?

It really should be more difficult to make the single greatest center of commerce, art, and learning in the known world that becomes the capital of like forty civilizations simultaneously.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

abrosheen posted:

This kind of thing is exactly what inescapable pits and the dfhack command 'source add magma 7' were created for, my friend

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/830210462125957121

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Checked to make sure I was following and I see a tweet saying from Bay12 it has taken more than a decade to get 43℅ the through the list so far :stare:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

verbal enema posted:

Checked to make sure I was following and I see a tweet saying from Bay12 it has taken more than a decade to get 43℅ the through the list so far :stare:

That's just the first list!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

this. It had never occured to me to make my dining hall anywhere else once taverns were a thing :confused:

There's the tavern on the surface where all the filthy elves and other non-citizens can hang out but there's also the main dining hall in the fortress proper for actual citizens. :colbert:

Not just gonna let whoever wander around!

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 11, 2017

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

There's the tavern on the surface where all the filthy elves and other non-citizens can hang out but there's also the main dining hall in the fortress proper for actual citizens. :colbert:

You can turn your dining hall into a second tavern, and use the (r)estriction setting to make sure it only serves proper residents instead of visitors.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mygna posted:

You can turn your dining hall into a second tavern, and use the (r)estriction setting to make sure it only serves proper residents instead of visitors.

I will do this.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Non-citizens die more if you put their partying space together with the dwarves, because dwarves don't really understand the concept of restraint in bar brawls.

Something to think about.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

that reminds me of the hilarious bug where cats would wander into taverns and die from alcohol poisoning via getting constantly splashed by booze

does that still happen?

dwarf fortress :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Excelzior posted:

that reminds me of the hilarious bug where cats would wander into taverns and die from alcohol poisoning via getting constantly splashed by booze

does that still happen?

dwarf fortress :allears:

Toady has fixed the bug so that LD50s are now appropriately calculated based on creature size.

So when cats walk over a boozy floor, get booze on their paws, and lick the booze off their paws to clean them, they now only get slightly buzzed.