Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ripoff posted:

Nothing like ~da shitz~ to take it out of someone.
Apparently imodium doesn't agree with me either. Took some and chucked my entire stomach 10 minutes later. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I wish I lived within reasonable driving distance to Delaware.

I have a 10% off, no limit coupon to tractor supply good till the 19th. They carry a mower I want that's normally $6k, so $5400 after discount which sounds great. Except it's not in stock anywhere in SC, so they'll burn me for almost $200 to ship it, even ship-to-store. Plus state tax, then minus 1.5% cash back on my credit card nets it at $5934.62.

...the same tractor is in stock in Middletown, DE (no sales tax, 8 hr drive), which would cost me $5319 after my credit card rebate. The realistic option is a closer store in NC that's stocked - $5678.03. But I'll burn ~100bux in fuel, plus valuable weekend daylight to go get it. :argh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got that same machine in my office

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Looking for a combination backup vehicle and stuff hauler. Hauling being: motorcycle to the track, general house stuff such as gravel, yard debris, etc...

Since I've got my '71 Plymouth Duster and for some reason have Stockholm syndrome with Mopars, I'm looking at '88 to '92 or so Dodge D100s or D150s, like these:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5981956923.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5972863465.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5958074943.html (probably not this one)

Was looking at Rangers and their ilk but these are way cheaper around here and the engine parts should swap with the project car for sourcing emergency spares. These all should have EFI so that's a nice plus.

Anything in particular I should look out for in these?

Any other vehicles under three grand I should look at?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

Got that same machine in my office

I just got a Nespresso machine and it's amazing. The milk heater/frother is genius. A+ would buy a hundred more times :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
We have retarded automated Starbucks machines. Terrible coffee, terribly treated. I bring in a thermos from home with the dark roast a local roaster used to make for the bakery I worked at before it went under.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Whoever brews the coffee in my office uses like 4 tablespoons of Maxwell House for a 12-cup pot so it's always disgusting.

My partner and I got this OXO coffee maker for Christmas and while I haven't brewed anything better than Kirkland Signature beans in it yet I'm still pretty impressed with the results - it's the best drip machine I've ever used (and it should be, for the price).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Ugh. Constipation sucks, but the opposite is worse. Dunno what I ate, but it wasn't worth this.

Getting old is the biggest bullshit on earth.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

* Looks at 3 grand coffee machine and bags of freshly roasted beans sealed in foil bag*

Aussies really can be as smug as poo poo about the rampant coffee culture that made sure the swill like Nescafe was permantly removed from offices. I'm no coffee drinker but I *still* dont understand how the USA puts up with the poo poo passing as coffee there. We certainly dont, Starbucks keeps going broke or reliant of idiot tourists.

Actually I dont understand how Australians got to have a Italian-like coffee culture in the first place. I guess coffee drinkers cant complain, your office doesn't have decent coffee? Go outside, throw a stone and pick one of the three coffee places it landed near.
The US actually has one of the best coffee cultures in the world, but the problem is that there are too many people here with non-functional tastebuds.
Our (many) 3rd wave shops will hold their own with anyone.
Also, Italy generally makes acceptable, at best, espresso. The goal in Italy is speed and consistency, which they do amazingly well, but consistency means that while you'll never have a bad shot, you'll never have a perfect one either.
It is me, I am the absolute worst coffee snob, give me all your natural process Ethiopians.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 9, 2017

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Skier posted:

Looking for a combination backup vehicle and stuff hauler. Hauling being: motorcycle to the track, general house stuff such as gravel, yard debris, etc...

Since I've got my '71 Plymouth Duster and for some reason have Stockholm syndrome with Mopars, I'm looking at '88 to '92 or so Dodge D100s or D150s, like these:

Was looking at Rangers and their ilk but these are way cheaper around here and the engine parts should swap with the project car for sourcing emergency spares. These all should have EFI so that's a nice plus.

12vavle swap time.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

nm posted:

The US actually has one of the best coffee cultures in the world, but the problem is that there are too many people here with non-functional tastebuds.
Also, Italy generally makes acceptable, at best, espresso. The goal in Italy is speed and consistency, which they do amazingly well, but consistency means that while you'll never have a bad shot, you'll never have a perfect one either.
It is me, I am the absolute worst coffee snob, give me all your natural process Ethiopians.

Agreed. A buddy of mine introduced me to proper pour over coffee at our local hipster shop and holy poo poo was that tasty. Reading all of this makes me itch to go back, actually.

That said, my daily brew comes from either a Keurig (Hey it was a gift and I wake up an hour before I need to be at work) or from a cheap drip machine at the office. I think of it as drinking a craft beer vs. a miller lite or budweiser.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I just got a Nespresso machine and it's amazing. The milk heater/frother is genius. A+ would buy a hundred more times :)

Ah, I wasn't sure if they had brought those to the U.S., or at least easy to buy. They made some other machines that had a different style of pod from the ones in Europe when I last looked. I'm surprised Keurig hasn't made an espresso pod. Or have they?

I have the Starbucks branded pod maker thing. It does espresso shots. It's mainly for when my mom comes to visit. I think she likes the Nespresso better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Ah, I wasn't sure if they had brought those to the U.S., or at least easy to buy. They made some other machines that had a different style of pod from the ones in Europe when I last looked. I'm surprised Keurig hasn't made an espresso pod. Or have they?

A Kuerig machine is incapable, it doesn't have the heat or pressure to make a proper espresso. I have a Kuerig as well, and although there are some decent Italian Roast pods it's nowhere near a proper espresso. I also have a regular drip machine for brewing iced coffee and a burr grinder, as well as a French Press and an Aero Press, and the Aero Press is the only thing that ever came close to espresso like coffee, but still not espresso.

So having a decent machine at a reasonable price that makes espresso comparable to grinders/machines that cost thousands of dollars is pretty impressive.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

According to my apartment's parking permission I own a dark green Lotus Europa. :downs:

(I actually own a black Eunos Roadster, which everyone I know does think is dark green for some reason)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I once had a blue car that the dvla insisted was purple and then I had a purple car that the dvla told me was blue

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Coffee is vile, I have no understanding of how people's tastebuds adapt to make them actually like it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

As much as I detest saying anything good about Melbourne...... they would laugh at that. And they would be right. Melbourne makes any other city look like a joke wen it comes to coffee and cafes.

I feel disgusting for saying Melbourne is good for anything but there is simply no denying just how good their coffee culture is :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Coffee is vile, I have no understanding of how people's tastebuds adapt to make them actually like it.

Same here.

"I need coffee to function"

No you don't.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
coffee is good :coffeepal: :coffee: ☕🆗🆒😌😋😎😁

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I'm sure I've heard the same said about beer.

I'm not a massive coffee drinker/fan but It definitely can be good. I think that the Americano style stuff is vile but I really like filter coffee. I can sit and drink that until I get the shakes.

As I drive a lot I end up having to stop and buy myself coffee from the motorway services quite frequently. I always try and buy filter coffee but it seems like 75% of the time they don't have any on and I have to drink a lovely Americano. I don't understand how this is more popular than filter coffee?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Same here.

"I need coffee to function"

No you don't.
I need tea to function

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I need coffee to start the day, to stay awake during tedious meetings and to not doze off on long drives.

On a day that involves a long drive to an all-day tedious meeting with a long drive back, I'll drink so much strong coffee that I will legit get the shakes.

Tomarse posted:

I need tea to function

We're British, we need tea to live.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I like the taste of coffee. I don't like the caffeine in it. Even decaf makes me a little jittery. :sigh:

I cut soft drinks out of my regular diet a few years ago, and that was my main source of caffeine (and sugar) in the past. Never been much on tea, but I'll occasionally drink some Sleepytime Extra tea.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Skier posted:

I was looking for similar but wanted to go on the smaller side of trucks and ended up with the 1979 Ford Courier. It's slow and fairly gutless (2.3L I4, 5-speed) but it'll cruise at 70 if you need it to. For long trips with the bike I still use a trailer behind the TDI but anything under an hour I use the truck. Hauls plenty, runs great and I think I have ~2k in it after fixing a bunch of things.

I was using searchtempest (when it used to work good) and these were the searches I was doing for older small trucks.
Chevrolet|chevy LUV
ford courier
mazda b1500|REPU|proceed|1500
toyota hilux|scout
vw|volkswagen caddy|pickup|truck
izuzu pup
mitsubishi mighty|max
dodge d50|50|rampage
plymouth arrow
datsun|nissan 620|720|520|521
jeep comanche|fc

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My company is currently conducting a full scale experiment to determine the LD50 for corporate bullshit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I'm sure I've heard the same said about beer.
There are some beers I'm less keen on, some I don't mind.

I dislike white wine and most ciders too (for some reason cider gives me a headache).

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Alcohol itself tastes really loving awful imo and honestly I could live without it because I vastly prefer smoking flowers instead. I hate all wine, love cider.

Not gonna stop me from drinking tonight though. Swill beer too!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

nm posted:

You have to remember who you're talking to. The same guy that shits on America for everything and always touts how much better Australia is...And then I saw this post which confirmed my thoughts. :lol:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As much as I detest saying anything good about Melbourne...... they would laugh at that. And they would be right. Melbourne makes any other city look like a joke wen it comes to coffee and cafes.

I feel disgusting for saying Melbourne is good for anything but there is simply no denying just how good their coffee culture is :(

I don't drink coffee or any caffeine really (unless there's bourbon mixed in it :v:).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

This is the correct answer

*sips nasty maxwell house office coffee*

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fridge corn posted:

Whoa dang no capitals or punctuation this gentlemen sure is carefree about coffee and life in general! 😵

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

what are you mad about so early in the morning

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
no coffee yet :dadjoke:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Australia (and NZ) are so wrapped up in coffee culture that there's great coffee in Katoomba and Springwood. Although I'm sure you know.

I had to finish moving house today. Then clean the old house. Then drive to an hour each way IKEA to buy some poo poo because my poo poo is strewn everywhere in the new house. Don't get me started on the local op shop asking $120 for a chest of drawers that stink like stake cigarette smoke and probably cost less new.

On the upside, chicken. Thank goodness this place opened up in Penrith. If you gotta go past the 'Riff, you may as well get some sweet Lebanese Charcoal Chicken and Pickles. The white stuff is garlic sauce. I clarify this because I feel a lot of people may think it is mash and or gravy. No.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Garlic sauce is amazing, you're doing it right.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cage posted:

no coffee yet :dadjoke:

lmao touche

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Having had a massive caffeine habit back in high school, I have been ever cautious about it's consumption ever since.

One (albeit large) cup of coffee a day. Most times, Aeropress and decent beans from local establishments (the goon coffee guy's supply is good too). Wife got me a burr grinder for xmas, so we're living in coffee heaven right now.

If you have a commercial grade coffee machine at your office, it has a hot water spout... use it and aeropress your coffee. so good.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My office coffee is excellent because I work from home. Unfortunately, on days when my wife has to be at the hospital by 6, the coffee maker starts around 4:45 so my office coffee has been sitting around for a few hours by the time I can get to it.

We wound up getting a drip coffee maker that grinds its own beans. It isn't coffee-shop-pour-over good, but it's a drat good cup of coffee when I remember to buy fresh locally roasted beans.

Speaking of which...

nm posted:

I find that single origin South American tends to be way more flavorful.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Safety Dance posted:

This is the way I used to go, until I got scared away by all the Apple logos at the only place in town that sells beans.

Now I don't drink coffee, I drink Tim Hortons.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Safety Dance posted:

While you may prefer a south american coffee, nothing goves you quite the fruit bomb of a good natural process east african coffee. I had one where the tastings notes included "fruity pebbles" and by god it was true (and excellent).
Lots of roasters gently caress up the roast though and I will admit a lack of really mind blowing ones in the last year or so, but the best beans combined with a good roast is amazing.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
When we moved to the Philly area, I saw this guy at a farmer's market - http://store.phillyfairtrade.com/coffees/ and have been ordering coffee from him for about three years straight at this point. All fair trade, and they time their process to roast and ship, so that the "let it sit for a day" happens during shipping. Good folks, good coffee.

The Burundi is probably my favorite, closely followed by Sumatra.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Good coffee is amazing, and doesn't have to be hard or that expensive. Good beans, freshly ground, aeropress or pour over, good water if you live somewhere with tons of calcium in the water...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Alcohol itself tastes really loving awful imo and honestly I could live without it because I vastly prefer smoking flowers instead. I hate all wine, love cider.

Not gonna stop me from drinking tonight though. Swill beer too!

One time someone played a "hilarious" prank on me and swapped a vodka shot for Gem Clear. Which is, if I recall, just about as pure of ethanol as one can get.

The second that hit my mouth I knew what was up and my throat seemed to close as if to say "dogg, there's a line that has been crossed." I walked over and spit it out in the sink then vomited profusely.

• Locked thread