Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Nah, you guys are good people :). Without people willing to fund mech games we won't get anymore. We just have to wait it out until terrible developers like :pgi: lose the license so a competent one can take it up.

They're not gonna lose it anytime soon simply because people give them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Azuth0667 posted:

Nah, you guys are good people :). Without people willing to fund mech games we won't get anymore. We just have to wait it out until terrible developers like :pgi: lose the license so a competent one can take it up.

The people at PGI are okay (mostly, I assume... there's always one rear end), but the business decisions feel dick-ish.

The one thing this game got right was the "stomp" in stompy robots. The e-design is great. Why do you think so many of hope? :smith:

e: I'm really drunkish right now.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Skoll posted:

They're not gonna lose it anytime soon simply because people give them money.

Sure they will, I'd be willing to bet their player count change has a negative slope which means that they'll eventually go out of business and lose it.

armchairyoda posted:

The people at PGI are okay (mostly, I assume... there's always one rear end), but the business decisions feel dick-ish.

The one thing this game got right was the "stomp" in stompy robots. The e-design is great. Why do you think so many of hope? :smith:

e: I'm really drunkish right now.

I don't know what you're trying to say.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Azuth0667 posted:

Sure they will, I'd be willing to bet their player count change has a negative slope which means that they'll eventually go out of business and lose it.

I'd agree, which is why MW5: Mercenaries is a thing. Oh, and a "surprise" port of MWO to UE4 shortly after. Which I'll bet they brand MWO 2, but transfer everyone's account over in an attempt to breath life back into this shambling corpse.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Q_res posted:

I'd agree, which is why MW5: Mercenaries is a thing. Oh, and a "surprise" port of MWO to UE4 shortly after. Which I'll bet they brand MWO 2, but transfer everyone's account over in an attempt to breath life back into this shambling corpse.

I think they'll gently caress MW5 up enough that they won't be able to recover.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Oh, I'm not taking that bet. I'm just offering what I earnestly believe is Russ' Master Plan.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think Microsoft cares about anything other than a bottom line. As long as people keep giving them money to at least stay afloat, which shows no real sign of changing, they're going to keep getting license extensions.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Skoll posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think Microsoft cares about anything other than a bottom line. As long as people keep giving them money to at least stay afloat, which shows no real sign of changing, they're going to keep getting license extensions.

Okay do you make more bottom line off of a company that's going to die or a company that has promise?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Okay do you make more bottom line off of a company that's going to die or a company that has promise?

Once again, as long as they can keep paying for the license, Microsoft does not give a poo poo. I don't see what's so hard to understand here.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Skoll posted:

Once again, as long as they can keep paying for the license, Microsoft does not give a poo poo. I don't see what's so hard to understand here.

I could ask you the same question when the writing's on the wall does microsoft go with the people who won't be able to pay come next round or do they start cultivating a new business relationship?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

There's nothing to renew. PGI (claims to have) bought the rights to Mechwarrior a while back.

Repeating myself here but unless Russ is full of poo poo or I'm misremembering - both quite possible - there are no "rights" to expire.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Repeating myself here but unless Russ is full of poo poo or I'm misremembering - both quite possible - there are no "rights" to expire.

If that's the case then we have to wait for them to fail.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes, and we went over that. Pretty sure that's not true.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

They have a LICENSE to Mechwarrior from Microsoft. They SUPPOSEDLY purchased the actual rights to Wing Commander from EA.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well there is one good thing from this patch. I just backed battletech

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe someone can remind me of where to log in, IDK if its through backer kit or kickstarter, I need to check. I know I backed the lowest tier that gave me the game when completed, but I don't remember if that includes beta or not, and if not, I'd like to rectify that.

I started playing MechCommander again in the meantime though :)

LYNX HERE

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

maybe someone can remind me of where to log in, IDK if its through backer kit or kickstarter, I need to check. I know I backed the lowest tier that gave me the game when completed, but I don't remember if that includes beta or not, and if not, I'd like to rectify that.

LYNX HERE

You mean SCOUT HERE! Right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Bah, Bullock deleted a bunch of old poo poo on Twitter it looks like, so I can't find where he talked about this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LYNX HERE

Glad I'm not the only one. I've been playing some of the fan mad campaigns. Some are really drat good

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Cyrano4747 posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. I've been playing some of the fan mad campaigns. Some are really drat good

What are the good ones? i was trying to look that poo poo up but there is literally no information to be found or I'm not looking in the right places

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

THIS IS THE BEAST

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

kingcom posted:

THIS IS THE BEAST

kingcom posted:

THIS IS THE BEAST

kingcom posted:

THIS IS THE BEAST

kingcom posted:

THIS IS THE BEAST

kingcom posted:

THIS IS THE BEAST

thats how it actually goes though

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

thats how it actually goes though

Word, sub him out for Rooster asap imo and put Hunter in the Firestarter cause hes a way better shot than Lynx.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i started playing the vanilla campaign and had forgotten it defaulted to easy. Got the madcat on the 3rd mission or whatever and have been owning bitches ever since, even after switching it to normal :cool:

probably will play again on hard now that I'm remembering the levels gimmicks

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

i started playing the vanilla campaign and had forgotten it defaulted to easy. Got the madcat on the 3rd mission or whatever and have been owning bitches ever since, even after switching it to normal :cool:

probably will play again on hard now that I'm remembering the levels gimmicks

Salvaging the Mad Cat that early trivializes the rest of the game imo. I try and go for the Hollander on mission two and salvage that to use for the first couple of operations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I normally don't even bother but I lucked out on the first run of the mission and rolled with it. those ER PPCs are deadly

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I confess to doing the Mad Cat mission until I can headshot it with an artillery strike. :shobon:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mechcommander 1 + 2 were both solid games imo.

Pooncha posted:

I confess to doing the Mad Cat mission until I can headshot it with an artillery strike. :shobon:

I appreciate in the Expansion Pack missions they straight design the campaign to have you fight and salvage a mad cat on even terms.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 9, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You know, I was not feeling super positive about the skill tree rework, and then I ran into Ordellus, he of the LRM Atlas. The new skill tree makes him really really really mad, so on the whole, I think it's worth it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sky falling, world ending etc.

So when does this hit live?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Yes, yes, yes! This new skill system is just what I was hoping for. It totally punishes bad players that want to use different weapon systems and/or don't care about building the absolute optimal mech and massively boosts people like me that like to play the most powerful mechs boating 1-2 different weapons. I can't wait to play against players that spread all their skills on useless poo poo while I blast their faces off with my 5 LPL Battlemaster. I love the fact that there is a whole special section just for jumpjets for potatoes to waste their skillpoints on.

That it also punishes people who haven't bought modules for all their mechs is also very nice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The last time PGI did a public test and everyone hated it, didn't they drop the proposed new feature entirely?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

soooo i'm downloading this client thing but it just occurred to me that the test only runs for like 39 1/2 minutes - has it finished already or is it still going?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Great Beer posted:

You're also getting a full refund of any existing modules you have, so those of us that fall in that category will be getting a gigantic cash influx. Unless you're using 20+ mechs regularly the 100m+ you get from that will more than cover it.

I like this change. Its not perfect but with a little price tweaking (especially scaling down a bit for smaller mechs) its leaps and bounds better than the old lovely system.

With modules you change your weapons loadout and swapped in the fitting modules. With the new Skill Tree you have to respecc your weapon Skills ~ 500k C-Bills and then buy the different weapon skills ~ 2.0 million C-Bills. So changing your build from boating one weapon to boating another weapon = 2.5 million C-Bills. Double that if you use 2 different Weapon Classes.
Or just buy the variant again. And XP it again. And pay for upgrades again.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Fil5000 posted:

The last time PGI did a public test and everyone hated it, didn't they drop the proposed new feature entirely?

Yeah, I'm not sure the Energy Draw feature was recoverable like this one might be, though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am devastated and I spent exactly 0 dollars on this game. 14 mechs, 3 modules, maybe 15m cbills laying around. I can't commit to grinding cbills again just for the mechs I have.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I don't particularly care that it makes people who are OCD freak out at the thought of having to grind out millions of XP to fully unlock their 80 mechs.

In fact it kind of brings warm smile to my blackened heart.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am devastated and I spent exactly 0 dollars on this game. 14 mechs, 3 modules, maybe 15m cbills laying around. I can't commit to grinding cbills again just for the mechs I have.

I'll give you an account

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idk I think it might be ok, if they can balance it. Makes it a lot harder to respec, so there are more interesting decisions while grinding. Kicks player flexibility in the robo'nads though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Idk I think it might be ok, if they can balance it. Makes it a lot harder to respec, so there are more interesting decisions while grinding. Kicks player flexibility in the robo'nads though.

Not really though? I'll just wait for someone to solve the spec system and copy + paste whatever they do.

• Locked thread