Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/johnibbitson/status/829520419480862720

lmao who loving cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I thought the problem with Atlantic Canada was they had loving nothing outside of fishing?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Furnaceface posted:

People will always get sick and doctors will always make mistakes for the pharmacist to catch. :v:

At least thats what I keep telling myself.

Some doctors are cluing into the fact they dont know poo poo when it comes to drug interactions.

When my step dad was slowly dying due to his own ignorance his doctor basically called the pharmacist on speaker phone and ran through treatment options with him before finalizing everything.

But this was after a drug interaction dropped my step dads blood pressure so low his heart stopped.

Good times,

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

James Baud posted:

Is Shoppers still offering any random pharmacy grad 130k guaranteed income to be a store associate or are those days behind us with some of the provincial government crackdowns on certain profitable tricks? For the past twenty years or so, one could definitely do worse for their five years of schooling.

Those days are long gone. I think Eej had to move back out west just to get out of retail pharmacy and into a job that pays more than 15/hr. :(

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I imagine any immigrants to Atlantic would GTFO on the first train to Quebec/Ontario when they realize how much east coast canadians like immigrants.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Quebec, bastion of immigrant tolerance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why subject immigrants to their malarkey when we could send whiny jobless welders out there instead?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Those days are long gone. I think Eej had to move back out west just to get out of retail pharmacy and into a job that pays more than 15/hr. :(

My cousin and her husband worked in Seattle for Rite-AId, that was good money for a while.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 26, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought the problem with Atlantic Canada was they had loving nothing outside of fishing?

That's what started the problem in the first place, yeah. All the young people left, and their economies effectively collapsed right along with the fishery.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
So the situation in BC as far as I can tell is that the BC Liberals left a spreadsheet full of personal information sitting in an unprotected Wordpress folder on their website. People found it and they had to apologize, but then Christy Clark blamed it on the NDP hacking them, despite admitting she had no idea how to prove that. Now they're claiming one of the attempts to hack them came from the legislature building, which isn't particularly helpful or damning, and that the Province was the one who accused the NDP in the first place, although Christy also still thinks the NDP did it. It's so ridiculous, even the Sun/Province aren't going along with it.

I don't know if this is supposed to be some kind of Trumpian power move or what, but Christy may have finally done something so dumb not even the BC NDP could fail to capitalize on it. I look forward to them proving me wrong.

James Baud posted:

A sister's still pulling ~60/hr as a regular employee / retail pharmacist in a mid-sized BC city, so the wages haven't gone through the floor or anything... at least outside the big cities.

I quite envy the portability of healthcare jobs to lower cost of living locales.

It can be nice in a lot of ways (I people at Island Health who've ditched Victoria for identical jobs up-island at half the rent), but if you go to a smaller town you're also facing a considerably more dire health care situation. In larger cities the long-term care facilities don't meet quality standards. In smaller cities the long-term care facilities can't meet demand, and everyone is stuck in the acute care unit. In the smallest cities and towns there just aren't any beds and the sick and elderly just lay there in their homes and hope the home support worker scheduled to come once a week and bathe them doesn't call in sick. You could be that home support worker!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Furnaceface posted:

It ain't too bad, retail pharmacy still starts at $33 (for Shoppers) or $36 (everyone else) an hour. You still get paid like ~$45 an hour if you work somewhere in Vancouver Island or basically anywhere filled with hicks and it goes higher the further you get away from civilization.

Furnaceface posted:

People will always get sick and doctors will always make mistakes for the pharmacist to catch. :v:

At least thats what I keep telling myself.

Automation is gonna kill my job eventually, I don't know if it will happen before I retire but I am fully confident that machine learning is going to be good enough to replace pharmacists way before doctors. It's already trivial for software to look up drug/disease interactions if you feed it the right info (heck google can do it for you) although I guess pharmacists are still needed to filter it and tell people what interactions actually matter.

Doctors can already dispense medications anyway. If there was a way for them to punch in a prescription on a tablet and then the software runs through all the interactions and patient profile, alerts the doctor of any warnings and alternatives (assuming they don't just blindly skip the flashing screens because Alarm Fatigue) and then spits out a labeled bottle at the receptionist's desk with near 100% accuracy I'm pretty sure I would be made mostly redundant. The only thing I'd be good for is having the time to explain medication stuff and address any concerns a patient has but everyone googles poo poo on the internet anyway nowadays.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Eej posted:

It ain't too bad, retail pharmacy still starts at $33 (for Shoppers) or $36 (everyone else) an hour. You still get paid like ~$45 an hour if you work somewhere in Vancouver Island or basically anywhere filled with hicks and it goes higher the further you get away from civilization.

Automation is gonna kill my job eventually, I don't know if it will happen before I retire but I am fully confident that machine learning is going to be good enough to replace pharmacists way before doctors. It's already trivial for software to look up drug/disease interactions if you feed it the right info (heck google can do it for you) although I guess pharmacists are still needed to filter it and tell people what interactions actually matter.

Doctors can already dispense medications anyway. If there was a way for them to punch in a prescription on a tablet and then the software runs through all the interactions and patient profile, alerts the doctor of any warnings and alternatives (assuming they don't just blindly skip the flashing screens because Alarm Fatigue) and then spits out a labeled bottle at the receptionist's desk with near 100% accuracy I'm pretty sure I would be made mostly redundant. The only thing I'd be good for is having the time to explain medication stuff and address any concerns a patient has but everyone googles poo poo on the internet anyway nowadays.

Hey someone needs to do a med check on me to ensure there aren't any unexpected interactions between my lancets, test strips, needles and insulin!

I decline but drat how is that not free money.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
When the Med Review program first came out in BC the requirement was something ridiculous like "5 medications in the past 6 months" which included diabetic supplies and OTC products like vitamins and painkillers. The documentation required was basically a signature by the patient somewhere indicating that you reviewed their medication with them. As you can imagine, pharmacists abused the poo poo out of this cause you're getting like $50-$70 every 6 months per patient from the government (numbers fuzzy cause this was a while ago).

There were pharmacists who basically just printed out a medication list that satisfied the requirements, asked patients if they had any questions (no? ok! sign here) and collected their fee. Others just made it up completely. It was free money and it was absolutely crazy. Of course now the requirements are much stricter, with things like "must be a prescription medicine or insulin" and "must not be discontinued or canceled on PharmaNet (lol, do you have any questions on this medication that you declined to take? no? great!)". I don't think it was ever that bad in Ontario with Medscheck but you'd have to ask a pharmacist who was there on the ground floor when it started.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo kill all pharmacists

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

patonthebach posted:

They said the same thing about the train, the automobile, the computer, the internet, etc.

So what makes you so confident that you'd make such a broad stroke?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 26, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

So what makes you so confident that you'd make such a broad stroke?

I like this explanation

quote:

“While much of the current debate about automation has focused on the potential for mass unemployment, predicated on a surplus of human labor,” McKinsey writes, “the world’s economy will actually need every erg of human labor working, in addition to the robots, to overcome demographic aging trends in both developed and developing economies.

“In other words, a surplus of human labor is much less likely to occur than a deficit of human labor, unless automation is deployed widely.”

http://www.mckinsey.com/global-themes/digital-disruption/harnessing-automation-for-a-future-that-works

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

James Baud posted:

So the government and insurance companies pay X per generic pill as a max cost, which is based on an average / competitive cost and so on, so forth. As a result, all the pharmacies buy their pills at inflated costs from wholesalers who either rebated them back based on purchase volume or, in other cases, the pharmacies themselves own the wholesaler, sometimes even the generic manufacturer. Helps drive that average cost up, then they took that extra profit from that side of the business.

I believe Ontario partly blocked this approach a few years back.

But there's always another scam.

My favourite is daily dispensing. The pharmacy gets to bill a dispensing fee for every drug, every day. Which I believe is something like $10 a drug in Alberta.

Now, sometimes there's a reason for that - like someone with opioid problems getting methadone. But there's a bunch of 'supportive living' facilities that insist that their clients get all their meds daily, and oddly enough always from a pharmacy that the owner of the facility has an interest in!

Socialize pharmacy, and dentists too while you're at it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/the-impact-on-canadians-if-trump-slashes-legal-immigration-to-the-u-s-1.3275886

The impact on Canadians if Trump slashes legal immigration to the U.S.

Although it may seem like the RAISE Act will become a major headache for Canadians who regularly work and travel in the United States, Sandaluk said there is a silver lining at home, referencing the H1-B visa targeted by Republicans.

The non-immigrant visa, which allows U.S. companies to recruit foreign professionals to work in the country for an allotted time period, is particularly popular in the technology industry on the West Coast. Sandaluk said companies such as Microsoft, Google and Amazon rely on the H1-B visa program for foreign talent.

“The limitation of that type of work visa in the United States will force a lot of those companies to relocate to Canada where unlike a lot of programs in the United States there is a pathway to permanent status here that doesn’t exist there,” Sandaluk said.

The immigration lawyer called the RAISE ACT a “huge opportunity” for Canadian businesses to grow, especially in the technology field. Sandaluk said he thinks the Canadian government should take advantage of this closed-off attitude on foreign workers in the U.S.

I mentioned this before, and it seems some analysts have explained this to the media. Canada will become (even more of) a H1-B dumping ground for satellite offices.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress all dentists

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Albino Squirrel posted:

My favourite is daily dispensing. The pharmacy gets to bill a dispensing fee for every drug, every day. Which I believe is something like $10 a drug in Alberta.

Now, sometimes there's a reason for that - like someone with opioid problems getting methadone. But there's a bunch of 'supportive living' facilities that insist that their clients get all their meds daily, and oddly enough always from a pharmacy that the owner of the facility has an interest in!

Socialize automate pharmacy, and socialize dentists too while you're at it.

:agreed:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

gently caress all dentists

I know right? Who wants some suicidal nut with their hands in your mouth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I know right? Who wants some suicidal nut with their hands in your mouth.

And possibly a sexual deviant who will molest you when you're sedated! Maybe not all dentists would do that, but apparently the regulatory bodies aren't too fussed if some of them talk about it :rolleyes:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I like this explanation

That explanation is meaningless when we talk about developed nations. When I talk about automation, what do you think I am talking about?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

That explanation is meaningless when we talk about developed nations. When I talk about automation, what do you think I am talking about?

yeah i don't give a poo poo if some chinese dude's life is better if it makes mine worse

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

Sure, you suggested that we'd need basic income or something because of the unemployment caused by automation.

OSI bean dip posted:

Something is going to have to be done when a large majority of the jobs we see today are automated out of existence.

That guy is saying that for countries to keep positive gdp per capita growth as the many boomers retire, the fewer genxers will need to work alongside automation, not be replaced by it. I'm not going to argue it that passionately, I'm not a time travelling wizard who can see the future. It's just a possible theory to consider along with the incredibly stale "machines gonna replace all our jobs basic income NOW".

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Political scuttlebutt around town is that Paul Dewar is going to be challenging Jim Watson for the Mayorship next municipal election.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Heads up, gently caress the Manitoba PC's.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-health-projects-goertzen-funding-1.3972954

Cut, cut, cut, cut. Last time this happened it took a long loving time to recover from their bullshit and it's only going to get worse.

e:
fr. reddit

quote:

By 'rich' you mean tax payers. Why do people always get upset that the people who always pay the most taxes get the tax breaks, or the biggest tax breaks? If you pay little to no taxes, there simply isn't much, or anything, to give you a break on.

And who do you think it is that owns these evil greedy corporations? In nearly every case the biggest corporations are heavily owned by pensions, and especially public sector pensions like teachers'.
And what do you think happens when Manitoba starts increasing our already high corporate taxes? Do you realize how many corporate head offices left under the NDP?

It's like you think that we should eliminate business and just put everyone to work for the government.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 9, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Who's to say that consumption of goods and services is going to drop once genxers and millenials are forced to put even more of their earnings into propping up the social safety net for boomers leading to a reduction in overall output keeping in line with a reduction in consuption.

Everything could be a-ok, or we could all be hosed, or somewhere in between.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-health-projects-goertzen-funding-1.3972954

Cut, cut, cut, cut. Last time this happened it took a long loving time to recover from their bullshit and it's only going to get worse.

e:
fr. reddit

quote:

It's like you think that we should eliminate business and just put everyone to work for the government.
Goddamn right. Full Communism Now!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Slaughter the bourgeois, seize the means of pharma

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Political scuttlebutt around town is that Paul Dewar is going to be challenging Jim Watson for the Mayorship next municipal election.

he's gonna lose. Jim is going to be mayor until he doesn't want to be mayor anymore.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's said that he's not sure whether he wants to be mayor anymore.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

e:
fr. reddit

Also the spin doctor bullshit that's coming out of the PC-appointed board of directors for Hydro is really something right now

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-hydro-sandy-riley-rate-increases-1.3970470

quote:

Riley said the crown corporation has a fiscal hole in the range of $4.5 billion to $5 billion and wants the provincial government to step up with an injection of capital to help fill the gap, alongside rate hikes and staff cuts. He didn't say exactly how much that cash injection might be, other than it wouldn't be all of the multi-billion dollar shortfall.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Also the spin doctor bullshit that's coming out of the PC-appointed board of directors for Hydro is really something right now

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-hydro-sandy-riley-rate-increases-1.3970470

Cutting from Hydro is bullshit but Bipole III was a loving mistake

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cutting from Hydro is bullshit but Bipole III was a loving mistake

Taking the west route of Bipole III was a mistake and whoever made that final call should be fired, it should have gone east.

But running around like the world is on fire lying about debt numbers and cash flows is absolute bullshit, but Manitobans are stupid enough to eat this poo poo up apparently.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well since the fishery is basically dead, they really have nothing.

Halifax is doing pretty well, but all the rural areas are filled with old people and a ton of heavy drinking and weed smoking.

A lot of Lebanese immigrants came in the 80s I think, who have been completely integrated. Most of them were christian though. I don't think a bunch of brown muslims moving to the countryside would be taken very well.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

She can see Canada from her house.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/02/09/sarah-palin-for-ambassador-to-canada.html

quote:

Sarah Palin under consideration for ambassador to Canada? White House doesn't say no

Social media explodes amid rumours that former U.S. vice-presidential candidate could be headed to Ottawa.

Sarah Palin has been governor of Alaska, candidate for vice-president of the United States and the butt of countless jokes.

Now is she about to become the American ambassador to Canada?

On Wednesday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer fuelled speculation that Palin is Ottawa-bound when he declined on Wednesday to comment on whether she is being considered as American ambassador to Ottawa.

“With respect to the ambassador, we have no additional ambassador nominations or announcements to make on that front,” Spicer told reporters when asked specifically about rumours that Palin was under consideration for the Canadian post. “I’m sure, at some point, we will have soon.”

That was enough to cause Twitter to blow up.

“#sarahpalin touted to become US Ambassador to Canada,” bar owner Mike Slankard wrote. “Stop laughting, little known fact - she speaks almost fluent Canadian.”

For her part, Palin tweeted a couple dozen times on Wednesday and early Thursday, but didn’t immediately address the ambassador story.

The position has been open since last month when Bruce Heyman, who was appointed by Barack Obama, resigned following the inauguration of U.S. President Donald Trump.

Palin reportedly loves moose stew, admires hockey moms and is happy on a snowmobile, but that didn’t impress the tweeters.

(Palin once asked an audience: “What’s the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom?” Then she replied, “Lipstick.”)

Some of the tweets didn’t bother with humour.

“Sarah Palin as ambassador?” New Democrat MP Charlie Angus tweeted. “Well that would show how little Steve Bannon and his pal @realDonaldTrump think of Canada.”

John Clarke of Toronto was also dismayed: “I know #Trump is cruel and heartless but making #SarahPalin #US #Ambassador to #Canada would be going too far.”

There were also some hopes that this might be fake news.

Some of the tweets had more than a little pain in them.

One Canadian tweeted: “Dear Mr. Trump: Rather than appoint Sarah Palin as ambassador to Canada, please bomb us. Signed, all intelligent life in Canada.”

Fredericton physiotherapist Rob Willcott added: “Sarah Palin is being considered for job as ambassador to Canada. She’s presently on a flight to Europe to meet with us.”

Tweeter Bruce Fanjoy suggested that her reported lack of geographic knowledge could be turned against her: “If #sarahpalin is appointed ambassador to #Canada I suggest we tell her that #Oshawa is the capital.”

Another tweeter referenced Tina Fey’s impersonations of Palin on Saturday Night Live: “Couldn’t they just send Tina Fey to Canada as ambassador? I mean #sarahpalin is equally hilarious but Fey is intentional about it.”

Several of the tweets referenced a SNL skit in which Fey-playing-Palin said: “I can see Russia from my house.”

Christian Paquet of Quebec City offered: “Hey guys, if #sarahpalin becomes the US ambassador to Canada, let’s make her an honorary member of The Royal Canadian Geographical Society.”

Others referenced Trump’s plan to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

“Canada starts building wall,” English medical doctor Mark Cheesman ‏tweeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Journalism now means you can pad half your copy with Twitter reacts