Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bangkero posted:

Sorry if we sound unbearable (we are), but that's what we do when it's the middle of winter and can't go diving.

Too true :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bangkero posted:

Sorry if we sound unbearable (we are), but that's what we do when it's the middle of winter and can't go diving. Take a look at this article to help trim yourself: http://www.sportdiver.com/learn-to-dive/article/buoyancy-calculator-scuba-divers

It's cool. When people are unbearable, there's generally something to learn.

I'll retaliate by pointing out that what may have been the worst loving day for diving all year in Lauderdale still had 72° water.

:downswords: :haw:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bangkero posted:

Sorry if we sound unbearable (we are), but that's what we do when it's the middle of winter and can't go diving. Take a look at this article to help trim yourself: http://www.sportdiver.com/learn-to-dive/article/buoyancy-calculator-scuba-divers

Serious question (sorry if it sounds weird): where do you dive that you can't go during the winter? Diving here in CA is year round, and can be nicer in the winter.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm in coastal NC. The water cools down to the low/mid 50's (not an issue if you've got the right gear) but the winds churn up the ocean to the point where the boats almost can't go out at all between mid/late October and mid/late April. I live on Cape Fear in the Graveyard of the Atlantic, I feel like that's not a name given out lightly :v:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Serious question (sorry if it sounds weird): where do you dive that you can't go during the winter? Diving here in CA is year round, and can be nicer in the winter.
I'd love to live in a place again where I can dive year round. For the past few years I've been in Ontario - it does have great wreck diving, but since I'm a warm water wuss I hunker down for the winter months. I normally do a winter trip every other year to the Philippines to keep me sane. So it's not that I can't go diving, but I chose not to dive my locale during it's cold...cause again - I'm a big wuss.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bangkero posted:

But what you're saying is that they could also check their trim at 30ft, 60ft, 90ft, since the change in atm will matter little to buoyancy?

Yeah. It shouldn't matter for any reason I can think of.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah. It shouldn't matter for any reason I can think of.

Well, the one reason is remaining air in the tank. But that applies regardless of tank composition

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

let it mellow posted:

Well, the one reason is remaining air in the tank. But that applies regardless of tank composition

The weight and volume of the air in your tank does not change with depth.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DontMockMySmock posted:

The weight and volume of the air in your tank does not change with depth.

But it does with consumption, and a breath takes a different amount out of it at different depths. Which is a reason for your tank to change weights at different depths unless you aren't breathing out of it.

E: and a reason why checking your buoyancy at different depths is not going to result in the same thing, which is the post I was replying to.

Unless of course you aren't breathing, in which case buoyancy is probably not your main concern

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 2, 2017

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

let it mellow posted:

But it does with consumption, and a breath takes a different amount out of it at different depths. Which is a reason for your tank to change weights at different depths unless you aren't breathing out of it.

E: and a reason why checking your buoyancy at different depths is not going to result in the same thing, which is the post I was replying to.

Unless of course you aren't breathing, in which case buoyancy is probably not your main concern

In the 15 seconds it takes to check your buoyancy, you're not breathing enough for that to matter.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was starting to get an interest into rebreather diving, but that was before Rob Stewart (shark conservationist, underwater videographer) went missing. His buddy surfaced after going down to ~225ft, and immediately passed out upon getting on the boat. The crew seems to think Rob floated off unconscious, and there's multiple coast guard assets out looking for any trace of him right now.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-missing-sharkwater-filmmaker-diver-20170201-story,amp.html

Good luck out there :smith:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

As we wrap up our trip to Bonaire, we are wondering If there are any other places to shore dive that are as easy and convenient as Bonaire?

I'm not opposed to boat diving in general but if I can i prefer to dive with as few people as possible and on my schedule. Failing that somewhere warm with good diving and smaller boats would be our preference.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

DontMockMySmock posted:

In the 15 seconds it takes to check your buoyancy, you're not breathing enough for that to matter.
It does when you're trying to trim out to take a steady picture or video of a macro subject.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was starting to get an interest into rebreather diving, but that was before Rob Stewart (shark conservationist, underwater videographer) went missing. His buddy surfaced after going down to ~225ft, and immediately passed out upon getting on the boat. The crew seems to think Rob floated off unconscious, and there's multiple coast guard assets out looking for any trace of him right now.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-missing-sharkwater-filmmaker-diver-20170201-story,amp.html

Good luck out there :smith:

I had a slightly scary experience buddied with a rebreather diver who's scrubber wasn't working properly. Seeing someone switch to a 3l bail out at 38m is a bit worrying. Interested to see what the problem is if both divers had issues though. Even with rebreathers that seems unlikely unless one had an issue and his buddy got into trouble assisting?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I went in to do my diver's orientation at our aquarium today! I start diving in our main tank next week as a safety diver/tank cleaner. In a few weeks we've got the Weeki-Wachee mermaids coming to do their show in our main tank, and I was lucky enough to be slotted as a safety diver for them while they're doing their show and luring me to my soggy doom.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DontMockMySmock posted:

The guy you quoted originally wanted buoyancy checks at 0, 30, 60, 90 feet.

That's more than 15 seconds and that's a significant difference in remaining weight, regardless of the problems with deciding to do buoyancy checks on the descent.

There are way too many variables involved for multiple buoyancy checks at different depths to mean anything useful. Enjoy your dive instead. 😀

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

let it mellow posted:

There are way too many variables involved for multiple buoyancy checks at different depths to mean anything useful. Enjoy your dive instead. 😀

Agreed. I think trying to get neutral at all depths is an exercise in futility. I figure I want to be neutral at 10' with 500 PSI or so in my tank so I can stick the hang at the end of a dive if I'm running low on air. That's enough to get me close to neutral at depth and it means I'm never fighting to stay down.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

let it mellow posted:

The guy you quoted originally wanted buoyancy checks at 0, 30, 60, 90 feet.

That's more than 15 seconds and that's a significant difference in remaining weight, regardless of the problems with deciding to do buoyancy checks on the descent.

100% agree. My question was really just a litmus test to see whether he could apply the diving physics to trimming and buoyancy. I haven't done a tech dive in a while, but your trim and buoyancy really matters at depth when you're doing deep deco stops, especially in open ocean or low viz with nothing to orientate you except your computer. For most divers if you're properly weighted then you don't really have to worry about your buoyancy at depth and can control pretty much everything through breathing technique with minimal to no BCD use.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

The only situation depth should be affecting buoyancy are if you're using an uncompressed neoprene suit where it becomes less positively buoyant as you increase depth. Otherwise the only difference is gas in your lungs/BC/suit expanding as you ascend. The reason for doing buoyancy checks at 5-3m is that it's the usual safety stop depth so should be where you are at the end of a dive. Shallow also means that you can more easily lose control of buoyancy due to the gas in lungs/BC/etc. expanding relatively more if you go up 1m at 5m vs. 1m at 15m. Basically if you are improperly weighted at a shallow depth you're less likely to be able to compensate effectively than if you're improperly weighted at a greater depth.

That's my understanding of it at least, although obviously if you're properly weighted at 30m you're still properly weighted at 5m.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I'm sure $8000 dollars of gear would get better photos but for the Internet and social media the old GoPro did okay.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

I'm sure $8000 dollars of gear would get better photos but for the Internet and social media the old GoPro did okay.

You did good. You did real good :unsmith:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need to start pulling out some stills from my GoPro. Had an awesome Moray encounter this past weekend, turns out they are just misunderstood. Still ugly as gently caress though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I need to start pulling out some stills from my GoPro. Had an awesome Moray encounter this past weekend, turns out they are just misunderstood. Still ugly as gently caress though.

The app makes it pretty easy.

I need to find the motivation to sort and edit almost 500 videos into a vacation video.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha you guys are hitting too close to home. I've had a GoPro since xmas 2015 but have only edited 1 video and have like 600 gigs of footage that need to be chopped down.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
I'm never diving again.

Unjustified DCS hit on a gentle, 'safe' and totally by the book dive to 26m on 36% O2. Still have residual symptoms (joint pain, dizziness and nausea) after a cumulative 10 hours in the chamber. gently caress this for a hobby.
I love the sea but clearly there is something wrong with me.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fairly passive posted:

I'm never diving again.

Unjustified DCS hit on a gentle, 'safe' and totally by the book dive to 26m on 36% O2. Still have residual symptoms (joint pain, dizziness and nausea) after a cumulative 10 hours in the chamber. gently caress this for a hobby.
I love the sea but clearly there is something wrong with me.

Holy poo poo that sucks. Glad you're okay

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not ok yet. I may need another session. Still have symptoms. Thanks anyway.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Jesus that really sucks :(

Hope there's no permanent damage.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Who can say? At any rate I can't face the water again. I'll find other things to do.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Have you gotten a check for PFO? If you've had subclinical DCS before or tend to feel bad after diving that could be a factor.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

MrNemo posted:

Have you gotten a check for PFO? If you've had subclinical DCS before or tend to feel bad after diving that could be a factor.

This, all of this. Unjustified hits, for the most part, are reasons of a PFO. I hope you are ok, but please see a cardiologist.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Sorry if it's been asked before(I'm some 250 posts behind), but does anyone here do commercial diving? Extra bonus if underwater welding. I'm looking to go to a trade school for it and would love to hear people's thoughts and experiences working in the field, how you like it, how you got into it(trade school or some other way) etc.

Edit: also if anyone has a recommendation for a free/cheap ebook or website that goes in depth about the basics of diving(gear and whatnot, like what the op says diving certification courses would have in a textbook) that would be rad.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 9, 2017

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Reading about PFO. Did not know that migraines with an aura were associated with this condition. I get this kind of migraine regularly. Definitely getting an echocardiogram.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Fairly passive posted:

Reading about PFO. Did not know that migraines with an aura were associated with this condition. I get this kind of migraine regularly. Definitely getting an echocardiogram.

Good luck!

I have a friend who had hers fixed recently, also after a dcs scare. Here's hoping for a full recovery and (icing on the cake) a fixable root cause.

Regardless of if you have a pfo, please keep us posted on your recovery.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Good luck!

I have a friend who had hers fixed recently, also after a dcs scare. Here's hoping for a full recovery and (icing on the cake) a fixable root cause.

Regardless of if you have a pfo, please keep us posted on your recovery.

Yeah! Don't give up on water sports. Good luck with your recovery.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Psychobabble! posted:

Sorry if it's been asked before(I'm some 250 posts behind), but does anyone here do commercial diving? Extra bonus if underwater welding. I'm looking to go to a trade school for it and would love to hear people's thoughts and experiences working in the field, how you like it, how you got into it(trade school or some other way) etc.

Edit: also if anyone has a recommendation for a free/cheap ebook or website that goes in depth about the basics of diving(gear and whatnot, like what the op says diving certification courses would have in a textbook) that would be rad.

No personal experience but two of my sites have ex-commercial divers who left for safer work.

If you want to talk trades I would also look at electrician, electronics, plumbing, etc.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fairly passive posted:

Good luck! Hope it all turns out well for you.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Fairly passive posted:

Do you mind telling us about your hit? What were your symptoms? What kind of chamber ride(s) did you take? What chamber did you go to? How long from onset to treatment? There is a big discussion going on at some of the tech scuba forums(CaveDiver, TDS) about in water recompression, and the lack of chambers(in Fl) for divers)

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Going to be in Miami for work at the end of March and I'm thinking about staying an extra day to do a couple of dives. Any recommendations on good sites and operators on the northern keys? How are the conditions that time of year (my local diving is California)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We dove the Duane and Spiegel in Key Largo and both were great dives. We picked Ocean Divers based on TripAdvisor reviews and they were good, but it was a cattle boat which we usually avoid. This was a trip where we were driving the Keys and going with whoever had a good rating and could fit in our plan, so we ended up with a big boat.

We got lucky though, the boat was mostly full with a dove club from VA, so we got full dives out of the trip. I'd dive with them again, just be aware that they take a lot of people out.

E: Ocean was the Duane. We dove with Sail Fish for the Spiegel on a different trip and they were great.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 10, 2017