Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

With the ps4 pro talk, and the fact I got my pro today, I come with both a warning and a plea to save me from my idiocy.

So I forgot about the whole activating/deactivating primary ps4's thing, so I didn't de-activate it myself before I traded the original ps4 in. When I try to activate the pro it says go to the website if you don't have the original ps4 to de-activate which is fair enough, but then the website says gently caress off you have to do it from the console.

So I have no idea what do at this juncture :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

With the ps4 pro talk, and the fact I got my pro today, I come with both a warning and a plea to save me from my idiocy.

So I forgot about the whole activating/deactivating primary ps4's thing, so I didn't de-activate it myself before I traded the original ps4 in. When I try to activate the pro it says go to the website if you don't have the original ps4 to de-activate which is fair enough, but then the website says gently caress off you have to do it from the console.

So I have no idea what do at this juncture :shrug:

you get 1 forced web deactivation per 6 months. its in the settings on the ps site somewhere. send univbee a pm he's got you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just tore through the first half of the demon island starter mission in nioh cause i've played it so much. all kodama and item caches in no time flat.

the loving sickles are insanely good and buffing them arms you up with way higher ninja magic than you would otherwise be able to have.
i'm having a blast.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

i just tore through the first half of the demon island starter mission in nioh cause i've played it so much. all kodama and item caches in no time flat.

the loving sickles are insanely good and buffing them arms you up with way higher ninja magic than you would otherwise be able to have.
i'm having a blast.

This, except I died 80 times so far.

I want to keep playing but I need to stop like two hours before I go to bed otherwise the state of focus and adrenaline the game induces will keep me awake

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ometeotl posted:

So, uh, doesn't Boost Mode go against the whole "Pro players can't have an advantage in multiplayer" thing Sony said?

That was never a thing. BF1 for example has always been way better on Pro.

Cerny just straight up lied about poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I've always wanted to play Lords of the Fallen and I remembered that it was a free PS+ game so I have it in my library. I remember it getting a lot of negative feedback though, what was it that people really didn't like about this game?

The way it's designed is awkward and inconsistent. They designed the player with a very clear intention in mind and did so very well. A timed swing mechanic rewards you for not button mashing, and the fast weapons require timed presses to enable their most powerful moves. Rolls don't make you invincible instantly, they do so after a short delay. Swings with almost every weapon are really slow, which forces you to be deliberate. This is all good stuff.

The problem is that the enemies you fight don't really feel like they were designed with that in mind, so they'll take swings that start and finish in much less time than it takes for you to swing once, and things like that. This means you can't really ever intercept them or react to them beyond dodging. You just have to swing away and hope they don't start an attack before your swing connects (and even if it does, staggering is weird and bad just like in bloodborne so you might eat a hit anyway). Outside of the boss fights (who usually have one attack with a really long recovery which is where you're meant to get your hits in), it doesn't feel like you can ever play well enough to avoid all damage, and that just feels sloppy in a game like lords.

This bothers some people more than others so give it a try at any rate. The graphics are quite good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Play Lords of the Fallen up until the bullshit boss where you have to hide in little huts each time he attacks or you get instakilled no matter what. The game at no point whatsoever tells you that you need to do this.

You'll never want to play it again after that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im 90% of the way through gravity rush 2 and they have no idea what the gently caress they are doing with this series.

I loved 1 but they didnt fix any of its issues and seem to have doubled down on making it unfun to play in 2

There isnt any main story still, its like a collection of kinda related threads that dont work. All the energy is sapped out too by huge pauses in between scenes while waiting for them to load or trigger or whatever.

The gameplay is terrible and shows very little core development. The alt modes are more of an anchor than a set of useful tools. And the missions are really tedious bread crumb trails to bad fights with a few cool exceptions here and there.

They need to give more control over flight without needing to pause. The 2xR1 system they have is horrible.

They need to have some kind of camera lock on so you can follow the little humanoid bosses around better. Its way too easy to lose all orientation

They need to have a combat system more akin to a character action game or brawler cause gently caress this is really unfun to play. Like the game gave me panther mode against a boss and you win by tapping square to stun lock her for 4 hits against the wall until one hit gets to count and after like 3 mins the boss dies and its the end of the second to last chapter. It makes no loving sense like nobody gave a drat about designing these fights.

Idk i really had high hopes i guess. Game is still gorgeous and probably more objectively a 7 or 8 if i wasnt frustrated but playing it makes me very frustrated so i give it a 4 for being a pain in the rear end.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 9, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Play Lords of the Fallen up until the bullshit boss where you have to hide in little huts each time he attacks or you get instakilled no matter what. The game at no point whatsoever tells you that you need to do this.

Thats boss 2

I beat the game but 2014 was a sad time for games nobody should play it now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah for sure. There's enough games from the last 18 months that you should never have to touch LOTF

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The early enemies in Nioh sure manage their stamina like beginning Dark Souls players.

Edit: and in this game it's not being countered or backstabs that triggers critical attacks but running out of stamina, so they should probably be more careful about that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 9, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

There's an audio log in his arena that explains this outright. :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:mrwhite:

The game blows once you get to the demon world anyway

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, I don't disagree with you there! I kind of liked it because you can turn into what's basically a chaos space marine, smashing everything with a massive axe. Its heavier combat felt punchier to me than DS' big swords, even if everything else was tame in comparison.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am genuinely confused by this new avatar. :wtc:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

:mrwhite:

The game blows once you get to the demon world anyway

Isn't that only a few hours after the instant kill Hut protection boss? I think I got there and just about quit. The game is inconsistently unfair with enemies in that zone. It quickly became not fun to play.

I'm guessing it never got better from there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's when the flaws get a lot more noticeable, at least.

Digirat posted:

The problem is that the enemies you fight don't really feel like they were designed with that in mind, so they'll take swings that start and finish in much less time than it takes for you to swing once, and things like that. This means you can't really ever intercept them or react to them beyond dodging. You just have to swing away and hope they don't start an attack before your swing connects (and even if it does, staggering is weird and bad just like in bloodborne so you might eat a hit anyway). Outside of the boss fights (who usually have one attack with a really long recovery which is where you're meant to get your hits in), it doesn't feel like you can ever play well enough to avoid all damage, and that just feels sloppy in a game like lords.

A lot of enemies in the demon world have weird hitboxes and odd criteria for damage (there's one boss who will knock you away and do heavy damage if you walk up to him when he stops an attack, with no visual encounter the swords are still dangerous) which just exacerbates it even further.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

How do I replay the tutorial in future tone I skipped it like a dumbass and after I fiddled with my sound settings to go away with the tish tish I uhh forgot that there is always some new type of goofy button thing.

I figured out the swipes and the things where you gotta hit 2 3 4 buttons at once but there are these like linked buttons that appear. One on each side with lighting between em

Normal mode does not gently caress around and it's also really loving weird playing Miku on a non handheld

This is almost what happened to me.

I've played a hatsune miku game before, don't need it.
Wait what are these buttons inputs. help!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Real hurthling! posted:

Im 90% of the way through gravity rush 2 and they have no idea what the gently caress they are doing with this series.

I loved 1 but they didnt fix any of its issues and seem to have doubled down on making it unfun to play in 2

There isnt any main story still, its like a collection of kinda related threads that dont work. All the energy is sapped out too by huge pauses in between scenes while waiting for them to load or trigger or whatever.

The gameplay is terrible and shows very little core development. The alt modes are more of an anchor than a set of useful tools. And the missions are really tedious bread crumb trails to bad fights with a few cool exceptions here and there.

They need to give more control over flight without needing to pause. The 2xR1 system they have is horrible.

They need to have some kind of camera lock on so you can follow the little humanoid bosses around better. Its way too easy to lose all orientation

They need to have a combat system more akin to a character action game or brawler cause gently caress this is really unfun to play. Like the game gave me panther mode against a boss and you win by tapping square to stun lock her for 4 hits against the wall until one hit gets to count and after like 3 mins the boss dies and its the end of the second to last chapter. It makes no loving sense like nobody gave a drat about designing these fights.

Idk i really had high hopes i guess. Game is still gorgeous and probably more objectively a 7 or 8 if i wasnt frustrated but playing it makes me very frustrated so i give it a 4 for being a pain in the rear end.

Hey man, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I don't hate the game, and I want to love it, but I can't bring myself to do so. It has the design sensibilities of a Vita game, still. Which is dreadfully depressing when you think about the fact that it's made by the game director who gave us the first Silent Hill and Forbidden Siren (and Gravity Rush 1). There's some of that weirdness in GR2, but next to none of the mechanical inventiveness.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 9, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

poptart_fairy posted:

I am genuinely confused by this new avatar. :wtc:

Who did you piss off?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The entirety of PYF usually

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PYF normally, yeah. No clue who this is or how she's relevant, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's Maiden Astrea, from Demon's Souls.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The one Souls game I didn't play. :saddowns:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
it's never too late to play demon's souls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah I thought that quote sounded familiar.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can i play demon's souls on psnow yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only in Japanese.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sefal posted:

it's never too late to play demon's souls

Yeah it's still great. Super easy though if you're familiar with the souls games by now. You can get to the final boss by accident early on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found the bosses mostly (gently caress Maneater) super easy but the levels still had some challenge for me, when I played it last year, but then I'm not the best Souls player.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Real hurthling! posted:

just play a different game every day for an hour or two until they are all done
lol if you have an hour or two each day to play video games

:smith:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

lol if you have an hour or two each day to play video games

:smith:

This is slowly happening to me now.
Play a shitload on the weekends though

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Usually i spend all day at work day dreaming about playing final fantasy 15 and when i get home I'm tired and hungry and by the time chores and food are taken care of squeezing in a few games of rocket league or binding of isaac or statcraft is far more appealing.

Its these folk that are all halfway through Nioh already that really confuse me. How the gently caress do people find the time? I love videogames but its such a time sensitive hobby, i now understand why so many peopke push them out their life once they have real, adult responsibilities.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Usually i spend all day at work day dreaming about playing final fantasy 15 and when i get home I'm tired and hungry and by the time chores and food are taken care of squeezing in a few games of rocket league or binding of isaac or statcraft is far more appealing.

Its these folk that are all halfway through Nioh already that really confuse me. How the gently caress do people find the time? I love videogames but its such a time sensitive hobby, i now understand why so many peopke push them out their life once they have real, adult responsibilities.

this is exactly it. After work, I'm too tired to really get into a game. So I just usually play an hour of overwatch, rocket league, binding of isaac or metal slug. You know, pick up and play games.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Exactly mate, i kind of envy the people who work full time and still have time and energy and motivation to play full length games.

I also envy the ones that don't work or can't work and yet still have the money to buy new games at release. I mean what the gently caress??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My solution was to not have any adult responsibilities

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nioh has caltrops. Every game should have caltrops but I can only off the top of my head think of this and the original Shadow Warrior.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nioh has caltrops. Every game should have caltrops but I can only off the top of my head think of this and the original Shadow Warrior.

Tenchu!

And they were a rogue skill in Dragon Age (2 or Inquisition, or both, I forget).

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I first heard about caltrops thorough a videogame in the mid 90s but i can't remember which one. Street racer maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Brink had caltrops

Remember Brink?!?